The Cooking Begins

Ripley, MS

I started cooking today, the Thanksgiving supper at church is tomorrow night. It will be non stop cooking for on thing or another until the first of the year.
I thought I would start this so we can make one of those, threads that everyone loves to come to Mid South Forum to read, with our good home cooking.
Please add your best holiday ideas

Sweet Potato Pie, with homemade crust

Thumbnail by slcdms
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

That looks delis!! One of my favorites! Where is your recipe???

Ripley, MS

I figured everyone had a sweet potato pie recipe
But I will gladly give you mine

3 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 stick oleo
1 can condensed milk
1 cup of cooked sweet potatoes ( I bake real potatoes for mine)
Mix all together well, pour into pie crust
Bake at 350 for about 40 to 45 minutes

Optional
cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves to taste-- I always use these spices in mine, more cinnamon than the other 2

Pie Crust
1 3/4 cups of plain flour
1/2 cup of oil
1/4 cup of milk
Pinch of salt
Make into a ball. I roll mine out between 2 pieces of wax paper

Lakeland / Memphis, TN(Zone 7a)

I'm not real big on sweet potato pie, but I have to admit Sandra - that one looks good enough for even me to eat ! Yummy !!!

Ripley, MS

You know I had to make 2 so Jerry could cut one tonight--he loves sweet potato pie, I love sweet potatoes any way you fix them.
I also made a potato salad from baked potatoes, made enough to have for supper it was good too.

Lakeland / Memphis, TN(Zone 7a)

I love sweet potatoe casserole, it just don't sound good as a pie. I think I'd like it better than a pumpkin pie though.

Ripley, MS

I have to make a pumpkin pie for Faith, I promised her one for Thanksgiving, that will be the Friday after Thanksgiving, but it will be made by this recipe with canned pumpkin.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

That does look good, Love sweet potatoe pie, I bought a bunch of them today because they were 25 cents a pound, If I can keep the dogs out of them, I will make one too for thanksgiving, to go with the deer, fried potatoes, and biscuits & gravy Ha!!

I'm not doin g a lot of cooking this year believe it or not. Our freezer is full of beef and deer and I see no reason to go out and buy a turkey or ham because of this. I may make a few sweets, but nothing fancy.

Ripley, MS

We would all be better off not to do a lot, but you know that is just part of the holiday, cooking and eating, finding new recipes. The best part is being with family and friends

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I do have a Sweet Potato pie recipe but like to know how others do theirs. Yours is totally different than the ones I make. Going to try your pie crust recipe. I just usually use shortening and water but the oil and milk sounds like something I want to try.

Ripley, MS

it is a very easy pie crusts, I have used it for years, just don't the pinch of salt !

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Something I always make around the holidays is Pumpkin
Bread. I give it for gifts to my cardiologist and his staff. The recipe calls for nuts and raisins but I usually leave those out for the loaves I make for gifts because so many folks don't like one or the other of those. This is the best pumpkin bread I have ever tasted--it is not dry like so many pumpkin bread recipes. By the way, I heard on the news the other day that the Libby Company had a bad year for their crop of pumpkins due to the weather in their area and there will be a shortage of canned pumpkin. So-o-o-o, y'all better stock up while you able to get canned pumpkin if you make pumpkin bread or pumpkin pie, etc.

Here's my recipe:
3 1/2 cups flour 4 eggs
2 tsp. soda 2/3 cup water
1 1/2 tsp. salt 1 cup cooking oil
1 tsp. cinnamon 1 15 oz can pumpkin
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. cloves 1 cup raisins
3 cups sugar 1 cup chopped pecans

It is not necessary to sift the flour. Measure flour, soda, salt, spices and sugar into large mixing bowl. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Pour
into two greased and floured loaf pans. Bake at 350F for one hour or longer until top springs back when touched with your fingertip.
This recipe originally came from Mrs. Charles Wilson in the cookbook: A Book of Favorite Recipes--sponsored by the Women's Society of Christian Service, St. Paul United Methodist Church, Little Rock, AR. It was printed in the late 1960's.

edited to add: when I typed the recipe, the dry ingredients on the left were separated by several spaces from the wet ingredients on the right but when I posted it, they were side by side so I hope it is not too confusing to read the recipe. The only optional ingredients are the raisins and the nuts.

This message was edited Nov 21, 2009 8:16 PM

This message was edited Nov 21, 2009 8:17 PM

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Charlotte, you should post your grape salad recipe on this thread, too. Yummy

Here is a Pecan Pie recipe which was my friend Mary Nell's mother's recipe. It is the best pecan pie I have ever tasted.

Mimi's Pecan Pie

4 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup Karo syrup (white or dark--the dark makes an extra rich pie--I use the white Karo)
1/2 TBSP. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 TBSP. vanilla
1/4 cup melted butter or margarine (I use real butter)
1 cup chopped pecans

Beat eggs well, add sugar, Karo, flour, salt and vanilla. Mix well. Stir in butter and pecans and mix well. Pour into a deep dish 9 inch pie shell. (You must use the deep dish pie shell or it will run over.)
Bake at 350F for about one hour or until the pie is "set" in the middle.
You might want to cover the edge of the crust with aluminum foil to keep the edge from getting too brown during cooking.

This message was edited Nov 21, 2009 8:26 PM

Ripley, MS

Marilyn, is that the pumpkin bread you had when we visited you? It was very good !!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

This is one of my favorite bread recipes. I got it from a lady I worked with back in the very early 70's. I have made it every year since.
Strawberry Nut Bread
1 cup butter
1 and 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
4 eggs
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 and 1/2 cups strawberry jam
1 cup sour cream
1 cup pecans
In a large bowl cream butter, sugar, vanilla and lemon extract. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well.
Mix together flour, salt, cream of tartar, soda. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture, jam and sour cream. Mix well. Stir in nuts. (nuts may be omitted). Makes 2 large loaves or can be divided among 5 small loaf pans. Spray pans well before putting the mixture in to bake. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 - 55 minutes.

I also have a funny story with this one. When I had my store, we always had a big open house the first Sun. of Dec. The open house was for all the stores in the Heights. We would have several hundred in an afternoon. So I needed lots of snacks. I decided to double this recipe to save time. Of course I had other things I served also. When I took it out of the oven and started slicing, it didn't look anything like it was supposed to. It had a very unusual gummy texture and was not at all the right color!! My husband and I tasted it and while it looked strange, the taste was not bad. I really didn't have time to bake it all over again, so I decided to serve it anyway. Felt the folks should just be glad they had something to snack on. LOL Would you believe, people loved it!!! It was one of the first things to go. They kept asking what it was and wanted the recipe. Told them it was a secret recipe!! It was!! I couldn't have duplicated again myself. I put too much or too little or who knows what!!! It was just so funny that everybody loved it. They didn't know what it was either! You would have never thought it was supposed to be bread!!!

Ripley, MS

sounds good--I love strawberries

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Boy I am so glad to see this thread!! I was begining to wonder if you all were ok. It is not the Mid-South with out a food thread :o)

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

That strawberry bread sounds awesome, I'm loving all the recipes. Could you tell us one more time (me ) how to do the grape salad Charlotte. I promise to write it down this time. I'd like to do that.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Grape Salad
One large bowl of grapes (removed from the stem) Mixing colors is fun
1/2 8 oz. package cream cheese
1 cup sour cream
1 heaping tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
Mix the cream cheese, sour cream, sugar, and vanilla together. Mixing well trying to get as many lumps out as possible.
Stir into the bowl of grapes.
Mix about a cup of brown sugar and about a cup of chopped pecans (I toast mine by putting in the microwave for a minute or so). I judge the amount of brown sugar and the amount of pecans by how large the top of my bowl is and how much topping I want on it.
Spread the topping of brown sugar and pecans on top of the grapes. Delicious!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

On the grape salad, I usually use no fat cream cheese and no fat sour cream. The little bit of sugar and vanilla adds flavor. Not to mention the topping.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

That was fast, LOL I'm copying and pasting now.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Actually I was typing and posting as you were typing and posting!!! LOL

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Yes, Sandra, the pumpkin bread recipe is the same that I served when you all were here for the RU in October.

Charlotte--funny story about the strawberry bread--LOL I am going to try the "real" recipe this week to take to Harrison when I go to my daughter's for Thanksgiving.

Marie: you are so right--it wouldn't be the Mid-South without a recipe thread!
We Southerners love to eat as much as we love to garden and when we aren't eating or gardening, we are talking about it! LOL

Here is another recipe which I take to a lot of potlucks. Most of you all have tasted it at one or more of the RU's.

Creamy, cheesy corn

3 cans (15 oz.) of crispy corn--you can use the regular corn but the crispy corn is better--it will usually say on the label that it is "crispy" or words to that effect.
One stick butter--(I never use margarine at all anymore)
One 8 oz. 'brick' of cream cheese

Pour corn into a crockpot but drain the liquid out first--you can leave a little bit of liquid if you choose
Add butter and cream cheese--you may want to cut the cream cheese and the butter into smaller "chunks" so they will melt faster while warming in the crockpot.

Cook on high for a couple hours or more.

Delicious and always a hit at pot luck dinners!

You can cook this in a saucepan on top of the stove if you are in a hurry to serve it.

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Everything looks soooooo tasty! Maybe, we should have a Thanksgiving/Christmas feast at our next RU ;o)

I must make cherry-nut pie (If any of you ever ate at Fisher's Diner, you most likely had a piece or maybe the entire pie lol), chocolate scotcheroos and Sheila's (edenawaitsme) grandmother's cream chesse strudel...okay I am hungry, I have to go find some food ;o)

Ripley, MS

I have never eaten at the diner Kim, give us the recipe !!!!

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Okay....but it is sinnnnnful ;o)

Cherry Nut Pie

1 9-inch graham cracker crust
1 8-ounce package cream cheese
1 3-ounce package cream cheese (I am not certain you can buy it this way anymore so, I use 1/2 of an 8 oz)
1 15-ounce can eagle brand milk
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 16-ounce can sweet red pitted cherries (drained)
1 cups chopped pecans

Soften cream cheese at room temperature. Whip until fluffy, gradually add eagle brand milk, beating well; then add vanilla and lemon juice. Stir/Fold in cherries that have been drained well, add chopped pecans. Pour into pie crust and chill 2 or 3 hours before serving.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

It had been a long time since I had eaten at Fisher's when they closed. I don't remember ever eating the Cherry Nut pie. I think I would have remembered that!!! That sounds so goooooood! Got to try it.

Ripley, MS

two more

Fridge Yeast Rolls

1/2 cup warm water with 1 packet RAPID rise yeast (dissolve and set aside)
5 cups self-rising flour--make well in flour

Stir into well
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup of melted shortening or margarine
2 cups of warm water
Add yeast mixture and mix until soft dough.
Put the mix in the fridge for at least 2 hours--
then make up rolls and let rise for 1 1/2 to 2 hours
Pre Heat oven to 400 and bake 12-15 minutes.
You can store this in the fridge and take out only what you need for up to 2 weeks.

Crescent Roll cheesecake
Flatten 1 can of crescent rolls in a greased 9x13" pan
Mix 2 blocks of cream cheese with 1 pound of confectioners sugar
Spread this on the crust
Top with any kind of pie filling
Flatten another can of crescent rolls for the top crust.
Use 1 stick of melted butter and spoon over the top crust.
Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes until the crescent rolls are brown.
When I make this with apple pie filling-I also mix some sugar and cinnamon
cloves and nutmeg with the melted butter.
This is very good with blackberry pie filling.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Where's a Lemon icebox pie recipe? Bonnie needs that one for those big luscious lemons she picked. I need one too

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

OK Kathy Ann is the Lemon Ice Box pie. I found a new updated version of the recipe. The only difference is that is if you DON'T use a meringue topping you cook the pie at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. If you USE a meringue topping you cook it at 325 degrees for about 25 minutes or until the meringue browns

Lemon Ice Box Pie
3 large egg yolks
1/2 cup lemon juice (I usually use Real Lemon)
1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk

Mix the egg yolks and lemon juice together. Add the condensed milk and mix well. Pour into a (6 oz) ready made graham cracker crust (the chocolate graham cracker crust is also good to use). Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Cool and chill before serving.

Meringue Topping - Beat the 3 egg whites with 1/4 teaspsoon cream of tartar until foamy. Add 2 tablespoons of sugar to spoon at a time. Beat until soft peaks form. Spread over filling and back at 325 degrees for about 25 minutes or until meringue is browned.

Loving these recipes!!!! I'm in a small bible study/prayer group. We meet at 6 pm and someone always brings something to snack on. Usually desert and some fruit. It is my time to bring food next week. I'm going to try some of the things you all have posted. One lady makes awesome pies and she brought a mincemeat, pecan and potato pie. We all pigged out! I may have to make Kim's Cherry Nut Pie and Sandra's Crescent Roll Cheesecake so we can pig out again.

Ripley, MS

That is the recipe that my Mamma always made for Easter when I was a little girl.
I have found that I love Edwards Lemon Pie and I usually buy it. The only difference in your directions is that we had vanilla wafers for a crust and Edwards does too.

My grandkids love the Lemonade pie
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Lemonade-Pie-III/Detail.aspx

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

My mother made the same recipe when I was growing up. She cooked it a lot. I like to make mine with meringue and sometime I use a regular pie crust rather than the graham cracker one.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

We're having dinner at My Sis in law's house on thursday, and Everything is already being prepared that is the "Traditional" thanksgiving food, I told her i'd let her know what I would bring, definitely bringing the grape salad. but Want to bring a side dish , corn is already been mentioned there, brocolli also, sweet potatoes is spoken for, any clues?

You know what I really love. That pistashio coolwhip fluff stuff, it has crushed pineapple in it, marachino cherries, nuts, mini marshmallows, but I brought that one yet and it didn't get eaten much , LOL

desserts that are spoken for are pumpkin pie, some cream pie not sure which and pecan pie. I can't do a cheesecake because my daughter is using my spring foam pan for a pumpkin cheesecake for her BF's family dinner which she is attending . so i'll not have a dish to bake the cheesecake in.

Ripley, MS

Green Beans !!! not the casserole, just good old green beans !

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

Woops, sorry, someone's bringing green bean bundles. it's an every year thing. They really have a variety of veggies, I think vickie even does carrots and peas cause that's her GS's fave veggie.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

How about twice-baked potatoes--a lot of trouble, I know, but worth the effort and it is a good alternative for those who don't like sweet potatoes.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Kathy Ann that's funny about the cool whip salad! My mother always made those kind of salads for almost any meal she fixed. And they were always eaten. When I'm at my son's for Christmas my DIL cooks on Christmas eve (that's when her family had their main meal) and I cook a traditional Christmas dinner on Christmas day. Last year I decided to make one of those salads. My son I had always eaten my Mother's but he let me know he didn't like those things! I think I was about the only one that ate any. He will eat anything and I guess he had just been polite and eaten what mother had fixed! Looking back I think it probably my dad that ate them. LOL

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I really really like that pistachio cool whip salad--yummy! However, none of the men in my family or Buddy's would eat anything like that so I never made it, I just had to enjoy it if I was at a potluck where somebody brought it. I think men have an aversion to "chick salads"--LOL (The food equivalent of a "chick flick").

Ripley, MS

I love those salads too, my sister makes a great lime one, it has eagle brand milk and pecans. Jerry's family will not eat anything like that either, if I make it for them, I get to bring it right back home

This is traditionally a summer dish, but good to me anytime

June Fruit Salad
1 can apple pie filling
1 can fruit cocktail
1 can pineapple tidbits
3 large bananas
Package of frozen strawberries
Package of frozen peaches

Drain the canned fruit
Mix well and chill

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

WEll, apparently nobody is bringing green bean casserole afterall, and Vickie asked me to bring that. so that's what i'm bringing and the grape salad. EAsy enough, I have everything but the grapes LOL

I love twice baked potatoes, I fix them every year for usually both thanksgiving and christmas, as their the one thing that Amber usually requests.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images