Seedlings

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I purchased these Desert Rose seeds on the Internet, they are mixed so looking forward to see what I get,
I am surprised they are coming up already, they are just 3 weeks old.

Doris

Thumbnail by kareoke
Deltona, FL(Zone 9b)

Very cool Doris! Did it take them 3 weeks to sprout? I usually find they sprout in 3-5 days. I have some that have not sprouted, if yours took a few weeks then maybe there is still hope for them... Good luck with them!

Thumbnail by PurePlants
Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

No sorry I got them 3 weeks ago they have been planted about a week. as you see I plant them in those peat cups then I just plant the whole thing into a pot and they do not get disturbed.

Providence, RI

Did you soak the seeds in hot water before you planted them. I heard that this makes them germinate faster, but I'm too afraid to try :(

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Please do post what is the best way to start the seeds. I have some from a trade that I want to start.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I soak my seeds for about two hours, then lay on top of soil and barely cover them with soil, keep them damp not wet.

Yardley, PA

They are fun to grow. I have had mine start sprouting in 24 hours. Instant gratification. Yours look great.

Fort Wayne, IN

Do you think I'd have a chance to keep young plants through the winter here if I started them now?

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

acts238 , sure you can, I do, just keep them by a window so they get lots of light in the winter

Fort Wayne, IN

I've just spent an hour on ebay obsessing. I'm going to have to try. I'm sure I can find room under my grow lights. You have a good idea putting them in peat pots so as not to disturb the roots. Are the seeds large enough so just a couple can go in a pot together?

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

yes the seeds are small enough but I only put one in so when you plant them you do not disurb them

Fort Wayne, IN

I just noticed that this was first posted back in 2009. How did your seedlings do? Do you have any pictures of the progression?

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Yes, sure do

Thumbnail by kareoke
Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

another

Thumbnail by kareoke
Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

more plants, this one is outside

Thumbnail by kareoke
Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

New plants third year.

Thumbnail by kareoke
Fort Wayne, IN

Wow!!! That is a nice collection. I have 2 right now, here is the one that is varigated but it hasn't had any flowers yet.

Thumbnail by acts238
Fort Wayne, IN

Here is one that I found at WM 2 years ago. Last year it was really pretty with alot of flowers and leaves. I think it has struggled this year a bit, I might have to prune it some next spring before it gets alot of growth.

Thumbnail by acts238
Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

This is one I pruned last year as it was getting leggy, now it has buds.

Thumbnail by kareoke
Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Great progress! Congrats on your dedicated work to those seeds! Very inspirational.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

this is how it looks today

Thumbnail by kareoke
Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

my varigated

Thumbnail by kareoke
Yardley, PA

Kareoke your pruned plant looks great. I still have to get a varigated, I really like yours.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Thank you Sally, the leaves have a lot more yellow than normal I hope it stays that way.

Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

To get my small ones through the winter ive built a grow cabinet from an old cabinet I trash picked, I added cfl lights up top, a T-5 on the back running top to bottom across on an angle from one corner to the other. I also cut a hole in the bottom of the one wall and the top of the other, I have a pc fan installed on the top hole drawing heat out and everything is on a timer, so low maintenance and they love it!!
I got tired of winter rot and decided to do away with winter all together for the adeniums. I still lose one each winter so I must plant more lol!
I just crossed 4 really colorful varieties and am expecting many seedpods. Ill keep you all posted.

Yardley, PA

Neat Malestrom. You are very creative! Sounds perfect. The plants that you crossed sounds really interesting. That will be something to look forward to.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I have discovered 4 seedpods on mine in different stages, from large, down to tiny, so a lot of seeds expected.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Here are my seedpods

Thumbnail by kareoke
Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Thumbnail by kareoke
Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Thumbnail by kareoke
Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Thumbnail by kareoke
Fort Wayne, IN

Well!!! I'll Be, How old does a plant have to be to get seed pods? And when do you harvest them? Acts

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

whenever they blooom that is when they can get the pods, I had one pod last year took 4 months to ripen, and you have to be ready, you will see on my largest one I have wire wrapped around it, that is because when they ripen, and split the seeds have a fluffy end and they fly everywhere

Fort Wayne, IN

Ahh.., I was wondering about the wire. I had one bloom on my large plant this year and the stemmy thing is still on it, I hope it gets a pod. I must have a weird flowering one because now that it is cooling down its getting buds. This happened to me last year, it was just ready to have blooms all over every stem and the weather turned cool and all the buds went kapoot. I'd love to see the progress of the pods if you can. I just bought 2 more on ebay, that will make me 7.

no seedpods sheesh, the first time I didit i had like 9 seedpods, this time with all my carefullness i got nuttin..... >:P

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Malestrom sounds like a neat plant box for your adeniums. Do you have pictures of it posted anywhere?

Kareoke awesome that you have pods!! I can't even get my two to bloom.

Yardley, PA

Hi Malestrom - I didn't get any seedpods this year either which is unusual. Mine are all blooming right now which is also unusual.

No pics, not at this point,
Sally, I crossed so many and got none!!
A few years ago i tried haphazzardly and got 6 lol!!

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I had one pod split and sent the seeds to Charleen, this is my whilte flower .

Thumbnail by kareoke
Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

This is a picture of all the small seedpods I found when I brought my plants in.

Thumbnail by kareoke

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.