Wilfred's Family in December

Christiansted, VI(Zone 11)

OK, let's do monthly threads, like the Coleus Chatters.

My blurry red, it's really this red. But the root part that I liberated is still kind of soft from how the sellers handled it, overwatering terribly, booo

Thumbnail by Molamola
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Really nice Mellisa, use SUPERthrive every time you water it until it get firmer for you, use a very strong dose of it for the first time, like one table spoon to a gallon of water, that is what I do when one of my DR is having trouble and they tend to recuperate much faster for me.

Wilfred

I thought it was soft from being overwatered. When I bought it, the plant had obviously been grown in a much smaller container, and recently repotted in a much larger pot and the soil was very soggy, and the leaves had water spots. All the leaves dropped off, but the buds and blooms stayed. I repotted, in dryish soil, and have been just barely watering, waiting for new growth.

Erghh, I can't figure out how to get a photo to Desktop to post it here! I did it once by accident, the red flower above, and can't find how again! erghhh.

Let's see if this works, the red fresh from the nursery

edit, NO!! erghhhhh

This message was edited Dec 1, 2009 1:48 PM

Thumbnail by Molamola
Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi,everyone.

Molamola,what are you trying to do? Let me know and I'll walk you through it step by step.

Sylvain.

Deltona, FL(Zone 9b)

A couple of bloom pics from today...

Thumbnail by PurePlants
Deltona, FL(Zone 9b)

another....

Thumbnail by PurePlants
Deltona, FL(Zone 9b)

And another.... =)

Thumbnail by PurePlants

Another 'wow!' for your photos, PurePlants. You must use a tripod, or else you have the steadiest hands of anyone.

Thanks for posting your lovely pictures!

Sylvain, please check your Dmail.

Isles Bay, Montserrat(Zone 11)

OK folks I have a question.
I am posting a picture of one of my DRs it is very small. It is a lot smaller then others that were planted at the same time. It has had the same treatment as the others, same amount of sun, water & fertilizer. It seems healthy , nice leaves, no bugs or root rot. Nothing wrong with it other then its size. The leaves are a lighter green but not yellowing or falling off.

Is there something wrong with it or do I have a dwarf DR.

Tina

Thumbnail by tbmontserrat
Isles Bay, Montserrat(Zone 11)

Here it is next to another DR planted the same time it was.

Thumbnail by tbmontserrat

Tina, I think you have a dwarf. Very nice, not so leggy as the other one. It'll be fun seeing the blooms!

If you plant a whole package of any kind of seed, some will be more vigorous, some will be puny. All seed is not created equal.

What I've recently grown from Wilfred's seeds have quite a variation in size. The clippers are for size. They've been treated almost completely the same, with the exception of the big guy in back. He sprouted first, grew the fastest, so I left him in the original seed sprouting pot. The odd soil is for air and avoiding sogginess.

And THAKKS!!! Sylvain, looks like I have posting photos sort of figured out with your help! THANKYOU!!!!

This message was edited Dec 2, 2009 4:25 PM

Thumbnail by Molamola

Molamola, the more pictures you post, the easier it will get. You do seem to be on the right track and I applaud your steadfastness and willingness to tackle new tasks. It will get so easy, the process will come automatically and you'll soon be adorning your posts with your best pictures. I look forward to seeing them all.

Very off topic here and I apologize for that: here is a picture of my delightful ball python (Lucy) wrapped around my neck this morning. I got up around 9AM, made coffee, opened the plantation shutters and got Lucy out of her living quarters. She was wrapped around my neck for about 5 hours today. She just loves it, and so do we. I look like a fright on that picture: unshaved, in an old T-shirt, etc. LIATASTLHPING. Enough tomfoolery now, back to adeniums.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

In case you're wondering: LIATASTLHPING is short for: "Lord, I appologize there and save the little heathen pygmies in New Guinea".

This message was edited Dec 2, 2009 3:45 PM

Thumbnail by lourspolaire

Lucy's beautiful!! And lucky to have such a handsome guy to cuddle on a cool day.

Thumbnail by Molamola

OOOH, look at all the pretty adeniums.

Sylvain.

Deltona, FL(Zone 9b)

Tina, I believe they prefer the term "vertically challenged"... LOL

I planted a hundred some odd seeds at the same time back in April and I have quite a variation of sizes, some are small and some are larger and flowering. They get the same water and same sunlight but I notice that some dry out the soil quicker than others while a couple developed root rot... same soil mix, same conditions so... I've always just assumed that each plant was for the most part... unique. I think your vertically challenged DR is very cool. I have some that are short and stubby as well. Thanks for the pics!!!

Doris, are you here? Where did you buy the Yellow, by the way?

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

OK I had this on the other thread so now it's here.
OK here I am popping back in this thread to let you know the PODS still have NOT split, they are fat, and hard, I check a couple of times a day but nothing yet,
I also purchased several different DR on the Internet, some I have recieved, I am looking forward to them growing to see if they are truly like the pictures, one of them is a beautiful YELLOW.
I will keep you informed.
JIM you will still get your seeds when ready.

I purchased the yellow seeds on the internet, I have planted 4 to see if they are true to color, this is what they are supposed to look like

Doris

This message was edited Dec 4, 2009 4:40 PM

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

ooops this is the picture, the name is "Longaumpan"

Thumbnail by kareoke

OOOHHH, Nice-asaurus! Please hurry up and produce some seeds of that one. I want to be first in line to purchase some, after Wilfred, of course.

Take care.
Sylvain.

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I bet your bloom won't be that yellow. I don't think that plant exists in reality yet. I'm sure others will chime in about this.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

well when my seeds come up (hopefuly) we will see. I bought several different ones.

Hmmm, skeptic here, tho' the photo doesn't look too very manipulated,

Goodest of luck, and post what you get!

(Arlene) Lakeland, FL(Zone 9a)

Sylvain, Lucy is beautiful. My son has one too but she is a lot smaller than yours. Not my idea of a cuddly pet but he enjoys it and as long as he cares for her and not me I don't mind her at all. She is quite beautiful once you get over the jitters of having a snake so close. LOL!

Kareoke that is beautiful.

Here is one of a small batch of seeds I had at the begining of the year. I love watching it grow.

Thumbnail by Gardenia731

Ah, lucky DR so soon in his own pot!

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Well I know I must wait and see what I get but I have a lot of seeds on the way, I plan to plant 4 of each and see whatI get, I have ordered 40 seeds of each, this is what I have started, Longaumpan, and SingSiam, and coming are

Dark Knight, Muengvietnam, Amazing Siam, Emerald, and Siam Violet.

Doris

Here's a photo of my seedlings. The big babies in the front are Thai Hybrids. The little guy in the back is from Wilfred's seeds. I got two like him and they both appear to be miniature. I think they are cute. All of these were planted within the past two months. I'm growing them under a grow light. They seem to like the light!

Thumbnail by echinaceamaniac

Big time envy here in Delray Beach! Good for you.

Sylvain.

Kareoke, do I read your post to say you're going to plant some of your seeds, not all? They should all be planted as soon as possible, as they aren't viable for very long.

Deltona, FL(Zone 9b)

Update to my first bloom above.... Star of Network. =)

Thumbnail by PurePlants
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

If anyone ever needs a photographer for a book on DR, Jamie sure would be a great one to chose, great photos Jamie, keep them comming.

Your plants look gorgeous even though their differrent sizes Tina, you probably get different bloom size & patterns as well when they bloom, please post them for use when they do.

Sure nice to have a friend to hug and hag on to Sylvain, but I'm sure that few people truly know what true friendship is no matter what they look like or what they are, truly glad he's your friend.

Looking good, looking good Melissa, seems your collection is growing quit a bit now, soon you'll be known as Melissa DR, great photos, finally get to seen how your babies are doing.

Really hope your yellow DR seeds come out to be that gorgeous bright canary yellow, my Yelo had finally had three sets of seed pods on it and they where about two inches big already but I got so frustrated when a friend came over and accidentally broke the branch they were on, really ruined my day and the who week for that matter since I had really high hopes of getting some seeds from it after two years of trying to pollinate it and almost gave up on it, now I know it can be done, just have to start all over again. If I get some seeds of Yelo, I'll make sure you get some Sylvain & Doris and a few others for as a matter of fact.

I'm sure you'll become good friends with your sons pet someday Arlene, just got to let him give you a hug, LOL!, well maybe not quite like Sylvain. Your DR is quite big for the short time it has been growing and quit healthy looking to for that matter, you sure know how to care for your little baby.
Hey Clint, there's a saying her, best perfumes come in a small bottle and the strongest poison to, just hope you get the perfume from the seeds I sent you.

Like I said before, pure photographer talent indeed Jamie, Your photo looks great and you DR is gorgeous too.

Dose anyone know how Jim is doing, hasn't posted anything lately, hope he's doing OK. Wounder how his DR,s are doing as well and his other projects too for that matter.

On my behave, thank you all for being such great and wonderful people, even though I don't have the time I used to to be writing on the forum, at least I have a little bit of time to enjoy and read the comments written in the treads on the forums I'm in. As soon as I have a little more time I'll post some photos.

Till next time,
Your Friend Wilfred

I was wondering the same thing about Jim. I'll send him a D-mail to see if he's OK.

Sylvain.

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Thanks Sylvain, much appreciated, I consider Jim a good friend even if I have never met him in person.

Your Friend Wilfred

Thanks Wilfred. I'm just waiting for all of these little things to bloom. I never knew the seedlings would look interesting at such a young stage. Hopefully, I will get some different colors to post!

Hi, everyone.

Here are my 2 seedlings. All in all, I planted 60 seeds in 24 growing spaces. Only 2 out of 60... 3.33% success... I am so bad at starting seeds, it's not even funny. I'm on my way to get each of them their very private little clay pot. They deserve to be pampered a bit.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

Thumbnail by lourspolaire

Sylvain,

I could send you some seeds to try when my pods open. I have 2 huge pods that should be ready in a few weeks. I'm not going to need my seeds since I have so many hybrids germinated. These will be very fresh seeds!

Thanks,
Clint

That would be very nice. I would plant them ASAP. They don't have a very long short life. I'll d-mail you my address.

Thanks.
Sylvain.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Why won't the seeds last.

I will have plenty to give away when my 5 pods ripen. Just send me DG email.

Doris

Folks over on the Veggie forum talk about saving seed form year to year, and they agree a three year old radish seed won't grow as well as a new seed.

Guess they're just like people, aging is tough! Tropicals seem to have less viability than northern things, seeds.

Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

a bit late posting but the two plants up top that are different look like different species to me,
the larger is an obesum the smaller is a hybrid.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.