Holiday Lights & Decorations

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Anybody have pictures of Christmas lights or other decorations? Here's my house.

Thumbnail by lisabees
Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Here it is from another angle.

Thumbnail by lisabees
Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

For Knock-Your-Socks-Off lights, here is the Denver City & County building.

Thumbnail by lisabees
Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

A closer shot

Thumbnail by lisabees
Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Peace on Earth

Thumbnail by lisabees
Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

The train station also has a nice display

Thumbnail by lisabees
Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

The Clock Tower & 16th Street Mall

Thumbnail by lisabees
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Oh, Lisabees, your house looks beautiful!!! I LOVE Christmas lights. Tony is out working on ours right now, he should be done tomorrow and then I'll gets some pics. The other locations you posted are fabulous as well.

Santa Fe, NM

I love your lights and the picture of the 16th Street Mall is great! We put up a few dinky strands every year but I'm leaning more toward playing with paper bags and candles this year.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Way fun! We rarely decorate the house any more. DH usually does some wild abstract thing at the gallery, but it gets destroyed by the drunks and he has gotten a bit more subdued since that happened so much.

One year before we had the gallery he asked what I thought of him putting a rainbow trout in Christmas lights on the front of the house. There is a nice blank area of wall under the living room window and I pictured a nice lighted trout there. Sure!

I go outside and he has stapled lights strands in place to make a rainbow trout across the whole front of the house, blocking the front door among other things. White lights for the outline and multicolored lights to make the rainbow stripe. The best thing was the head, which somehow had a strand all rolled up for the eye that blinked on and off independent of the rest of the fish.

You could see it several blocks away.

Santa Fe, NM

Big Smile! This sounds like real Decorating! The Christmas Trout.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

The trout sounds fabulous - so creative!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Did you have trout for Christmas dinner too mulch?

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Sheesh no. We do catch and release on the river due to the massive fishing pressure. If we keep a trout it will be from a stocked reservoir where they have been eating those little lake shrimp and are tastier than river trout anyway. We rarely fish reservoirs as we prefer floating the rivers, so we hardly ever eat trout at all. Maybe once every three or four years, usually when we have a guest who is dying to eat a trout.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Do you need help designing the trout lights? LOL I too think it is a good idea, only trouble is people will be fishing in your pond due to that advertising. I am home Saturday night to get my Christmas decoration going.

Santa Fe, NM

Oh, that would be funny, Mulch. People showing up to fish on Xmas Eve. Building igloos and drinking refreshing beverages. Perhaps some caroling!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

And you could hand out trout as presents.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Perhaps trout gingerbread cookies.

I have to say people fishing on Xmas eve is not as far fetched as you might think. I hang around with some really hard core fly fisherman and they fish at the darnedest times and under the most unbelievable conditions. While they like refreshing beverages, they do not waste fishing time on caroling though.

I recall our first float of the Smith River here in Montana in April when it can blizzard like mad. This is a camping trip of five days on the river with no way to take the boat out for 61 miles once you begin. Dan and my DH solemnly agreed we would not go if the weather was bad on our scheduled dates. The river is limited access so you have to get a lottery drawn slot and you are stuck with the dates you get, if you even get any.

They repeated the "we won't go if the weather is bad" so many times I started to believe it. The day we were to leave it was snowing something awful. Without one word about the weather, the guys packed up the boats and gear and off we went. That was when I finally understood that "if the weather is bad" translates to "if the roads are completely impassable."

Santa Fe, NM

Quite a story! Good idea about handing out trout as gifts, Dave. Mulch, the trout ginger cookies sound good. I was thinking more of troutsicles. I have been making hand cream today. The Bev Walker recipe from here at D.G. with variations. I make it for myself and a friend every so often in small batches. Get to play with my essential oils. Today's scent is myrtle, lime, bergamot and tangerine. The myrtle is interesting because by itself I don't care much for it but it "plays well with others". As long as the others lean toward citrus anyway.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

What is wrong with a little snow? ;) Its dry and fluffy. Major rain or hail might be bad.

Santa Fe, NM

Hi, Dave. We crossed posts. Nothing wrong with snow but no way I would go fishing in it. Not without a wet suit!

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

I have indeed fished in snow, and recommend layers of down and waders. Rain is not so bad either if you are wearing waders and a rain jacket with hood.

Hail, on the other hand, has made me dive under the front of the boat into the storage cubbyhole. The dog wanted in there too, but there was not enough room. We compromised and both got our heads and as much of our bodies as we could under cover. Hail really is not good.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I'm with you roybird. If you can't cook your trout, what good does it do to catch them. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to give up a river trip at the only time I could take it either.

It is a good story. I hope the trip down the river was enjoyable. Mulch did you have fun? Did the weather clear?

This message was edited Dec 3, 2009 3:12 PM

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

It was a fabulous trip and it did clear. I learned a few things, like not to remove wet waders and wading shoes at night by the campfire, leaving the neoprene feet of the waders in the shoes. They froze in place by morning and I had to go slosh them in the river to get them thawed enough to pry the shoes off the wader feet. After all that my hands were really cold and wet and then I had to put the darn waders and shoes on for the day. Only did that once. After that, pulled the wader feet out of the shoes at night.

But the scenery was fantastic, the fishing was great, and the Smith River moved to first place in my estimation of the beauty of Montana Rivers, replacing the Big Hole, which had previously held that place. We went several more times until I messed up my ankles too bad to try it any more.

But it is a physically rigorous trip if you carry your own gear. Probably rigorous even if you don't, for that matter. If I ever attempt it again, it will be with a group of friends and we will hire a supply raft to carry the camping gear and food, set up and take down the tents, and cook suppers. That would be way easier!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Nice. :-) The rafting trip I took a few years back is a pleasant memory for me. I'd like to go do another one sometime soon. Perhaps on a near-future summer vacation with Zerbeebee.

Santa Fe, NM

By the way, how was Zerbeebee without a t.v.? He survived, I take it. D.H. had a disaster rafting trip once upon a time which wrecked his back and took years of chiropractic recovery. Probably why I have never gone.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Zerbeebee is surviving. He has spent more time interacting with me, which is good. We've also watched a few movies that, to my mind, sit a bit higher on the scale of quality story-telling.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I too love the Smith River Canyon. So many "Pearls" of locations on that river. Too bad they don't do that to the Salmon River in Idaho where it is thousands of people on the river at one time.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

When we floated the Salmon, the rangers at the put-in told us to pee in the river. This was 20 years ago.

Roybird, did your DH wreck his back flipping the raft or just rowing it?
Oh golly, the wader story sounds miserable, Mulch. C-c-c-c-cold feet!

I got in over my head on the Salmon. Two of our raft captains cancelled at the last minute, and I "found out" when we met up for the shuttle that I would be rowing a raft. At that time I was in shape for it physically, but those class 3+ rapids were a little beyond my skills. I had expert help whenever I wanted it, though: we had 5 people in canoes, and 3 were also expert rowers, so they got to run some rapids twice.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Class 3 is fun. Class 4 is rather serious but still fun. Class 5 is trusting your life to the river.

"Pee in the river" ? I've always wondered about the advice to pee or not to pee and thought it best to keep human specific germs away from the water. When whitewater rafting you're quite likely to drink some of the water, intentional or not. I wonder if bears worry about such things.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Novice rowers make me nervous in tight situations. My brother in law had an English foreign exchange student who was awestruck by the open wildness of the American West. Unfortunately he decided he loved to row, without having a clue about how to do it and without being overly receptive to instruction. He broke some fly rods hitting islands and willows.

Fast forward a few years to DH's fiftieth birthday Smith River float. We got a June drawing date (nearly impossible) and invited family and friends to come. James was in the country at the time and called to ask me if he could come when he heard about it. He had been doing computer work in Hong Kong and when I reminded him of his poor rowing skills he assured me he had been practicing. Right! Roll my eyes.

He is a great kid, so we invited him. I got paired with him in a raft at the launch. After loading he said he wanted to row first. I asked if he remembered how to maneuver the boat right or left. He said no, but we could figure it out as we went.

Absolutely not! I made him sit in the beached raft and practice moving the oars in the right directions. Then we launched. I coached him extensively until he became a decent rower. Then we got to the rapids just before Rattlesnake Point. I prefer to walk the boat along the edge of a rapids, but James really wanted to row through it. I agreed, as he was doing so well.

Except when he somehow got the heavily loaded raft sideways going at a large rock. That would quickly swamp us, an alarming prospect, to put it mildly. I skipped all courtesies and simply screamed at him to dig his left oar. He did. We missed the rock. However, we did end up fully airborne in the raft right after that.

There is a campground beside the rapids and all the campers there were clapping and cheering as we made it through the rapids and headed on to our camp site at Rattlesnake. It was a wild ride.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Sounds like a fun time. I'd not want to skip the rapids either. Very brave going with an amateur at the wheel, Mulch.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

It was really a blast. James was extremely strong and knew what to do by the time we got there, so I felt he could handle it, or I would not have agreed. I love doing crazy things, but have a conservative streak in certain ways. Which is why I walk the boat along rapids. I know what to do but am not a powerfully strong rower, which is definitely needed in those situations.

Santa Fe, NM

D.H. wrecked his back carrying the raft! The river was low in places and by the time they got to a deeper spot he had some sort of disc problem and had to lie flat on the bottom of the raft most of the rest of the trip. He was miserable. This was before he knew me, long ago. I got to watch him do his back exercises every day for years, doing yoga poses and crab walking. I'm afraid I found it pretty hilarious! Cruel youth. But, it did eventually get much better. Hasn't bothered him for several years now. But, he still isn't hot to go rafting! I have friends who go on the Brazos. They have a great time, usually.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Oh, your DH had a really bad time.

We foolishly floated the Smith one year when it was at 90 cfs. With heavily loaded rafts, we ended up dragging them in shallow places so much we left the lead and tail ropes in the water as we were in and out so often using them. My knees swelled up like balloons after four days of that!

Santa Fe, NM

Well, as I am fond of saying too often, if you do anything at all there is some possibility of getting hurt. I get a little overly protective of my tai chi beginners and I like to remind them ( and myself ) that everyone is responsible for their own body. If it hurts, stop. Rafting, hiking, skiing and so forth, you can be pretty far from help. I had a friend who broke her foot just on a day hike in the Santa Fe National Forest. She had to be carried and taken to a hospital by helicopter. Accidents happen. But, I managed to break two toes just walking in to a chair in my t.v. room! That takes real talent.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Roybird, apparently your toes needed to learn that bit about two solid objects cannot pass through each other.

Mulch, when I was working in Ennis, I often floated the Beartrap Canyon with the river ranger. I ran White Horse myself and Green Wave. So .... that's everything but the Kitchen Sink.

Like you, I knew what all the maneuvers were, but didn't necessarily have the muscle to pull it off.

For the non-locals: The Kitchen Sink is class 5.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Picante, I am really impressed. I have been down the Beartrap once with one of the France boys rowing. Kitchen Sink was not as high as it gets in the spring, but it was way fun. I have no intention of rowing any of that myself. I know my limits.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Most accidents happen in familiar territory. We feel comfortable and aren't as careful.

Santa Fe, NM

The Taos Box is where most rafting takes place here. I think it is a class 4. It looks like fun. It isn't deep enough to do much past June or July. It is so full of rafters, though, that I wonder how often they run in to each other. D.H. got hurt on the San Juan River at Mexican Hat.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.