Diversions in the Season of Denial

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks everso lisabees. (Thanks to roybirds fabby pics!!!) Finally worked out the laptop roadie issues so should be able to beam up now.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Had a great lunch with roybird and dahlianut and all our DH's yesterday. What a great bunch of people and I confess to total envy that roybird's and dahlianut's DH's cooked and did the dishes for them the previous day. My DH didn't seem to even hear that part of the conversation.
We had great fun.

Greenjay,
I love your new house. It will soon be a mass of flowers and trees. I think starting with a blank slate is really the best way to go. I love my current house and its slate looked blank, but was actually covered with tons ( literally) of gravel. You will be the gardening star of your neighborhood I bet.

Lucky for me neither DH nor I have dust allergies and not much in the way of pollen allergies either. DH used to have terrible allergies during juniper season and we did always go skiing in the mountains of Colorado for a week during the worst part of the juniper season. You could just hear his breathing and sneezing and coughing diminish as we drove up into the Colorado rockies. But he is very lucky. He took those allergy shots that everyone takes only they worked on him. He is allergy free in juniper season now.

Boy does my house look lived in! We both had lots of books when we met so when we moved in together we had lots. I need to give some away. My MIL, recently deceased, also had huge quantities of books which we must now dispose of and try not to keep too many of. I never thought of books as a problem until recently. But we have to get rid of most of hers and some of ours in the next few months. Either that or buy a warehouse which is not an option!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I have had to thin, prune, weed, and otherwise severely pare down several libraries in my life, always because I was moving and could not take them with me! Releasing books has been hard to learn how to do but I feel after several passes I have developed both tolerance for the severance and a certain skill.......

Even so, I have a tall bookcase full.

One time I sold many many boxes of books to a used bookstore in my neighborhood (in San Francisco then) and I would go to the store and visit them! before I moved. There was one large book of those lovely Edward Curtis photos of American Indians I kept walking over to on its display table. The owner would tease me saying "you can have it back if you want......" knowing I could not take it.

I've learned not to be so sentimental, about books.

Plus I have learned that the books I really need if I make a mistake and get rid of them too soon, they show up again.

;-)

Santa Fe, NM

I got confused and wrote stuff on the decorations thread that I thought was this one! Oh dear. Dahlia, glad you are back with your laptop. My computer says it misses you, tho. And I am sorry I didn't stow away on the trip south! It is a lovely, sunny day here today and I had a pleasant walk home from meditation practice. As for books, they are really hard for me to part with. Some, anyhow. We do purge them every so often. I got an infusion of books and another bookcase when my mother died but many went to the Goodwill. I sold all my art books once because I needed the money. One of my friends got very upset when he found out about it because he said I could've sold them to him and bought them back later. That was very sweet. But, I really didn't miss the books at all! It's funny how we form attachments to things and most of the time it ends up not to be that big a deal. I'm in the midst of changing the art work hanging in our house because I got tired of looking at the same stuff. I had to tell myself that it is perfectly o.k. to change things.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

I think it is more than perfectly okay, it's something that we kind of need to get used to. At least, those of us who really get attached to objects......

The only book I regret getting rid of was actually a book of Haiku my dad gave me for Christmas one year. It it, he had written a "haiku" for me, that went

When my ten foot
laughing daughter sings,
my ears are numb, the ceiling rings!

I don't have the line breaks quite right..... I wish I had hung on to that. But at least I remember what he wrote.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Oh, it is the words that count, Kyla. That is a lovely haiku.
DH and I have been throwing things away both here, at home, and at MIL's house today. We are getting better at it rapidly. Most of her books are not things that either of us would want, but she has an incredible collection of knitting books. I probably will not keep more than one or two of them -- I have quite a few knitting books, myself, but for those into knitting it is a wonderful collection. I went through a major knitting period a while back and took a class from one of the great names in the field, but right now I don't have time to knit and have more knitted items than I know what to do with.
Another thing that we will do, though I find it difficult, is give away, probably to the local homeless shelter, some of her hand knitted items that don't fit anyone in our family -- things she made for herself, once she had become a tiny little thing. They are lovely and soft, though.
MIL was a bit of a hoarder and I fear that DH and I are as well. But we do see the error of our ways and are starting to improve.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Happy First Day of Spring ^_^ May your gardens be abundant and may you have perpetual happy feet! I'm going outside to dance soon as the sun peaks out. Tis lightish over the mountains so soon. Crappola I forgot to bring the giant bow that I like to wear on my head for festive occassions such as these :(

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Hmmm, I must have a large bow or ribbony thing somewheres. I'll tend to the bow thingie, Dahlia. Somebody's gotta do it.

Happy Solstice, everybody! Joyeux solstice! Wooohooo, the light shall return.
I shall begin celebrating with French toast.

PJ, good knitters are quite a rarity! I love fiber arts, and used to be a weaver. I don't suppose she made any sweaters in a size 6-ish? [hopeful hint]

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Well I got busted trying to sneak out in my jammies but Plan B of 'going down for juice and bagels' worked like a charm. While I was dancing a man came out and waved at me ^_^ Tis a good thing that I donned footwear though cuz there were little paddleleafish cactii sprinkled about on the dance floor.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Ya hoo! The returning of the light! That explains why none of the ice on my deck and other paths have melted. Wasn't enough daylight to melt it. Light means everything to me -- I have learned.
This year I didn't even notice the lack of light because I was so busy. Maybe that is how you get through the dark time. Get busy. Also maintain large indoor garden. I confess that I have lots of poorly cared for house plants in front of my french doors to the balcony. They really help. The amaryllis are putting out bloom stalks now in spite of my neglect and the cyclamen given to me years ago when I had my hysterectomy is blooming its head off -- no thanks to me. These wonderful little plants make my days during the winter.
Picante, I don't think she has anything size 6, but if I see something that small, I will definitely save it for you. She made beautiful things and bought even more beautiful things from Valentina Devine, who lives here. Valentina knitted the hat used by Julia Roberts in Stepmom. Valentina also designed the costumes for the road show of Cats. She is in many books on knitting for her fascinating designs.
I, too, used to be a weaver and may return to knitting some day.
Happy return of the light, everybody!

Santa Fe, NM

Dancing with cactus is something you will quickly get used to! Is it nice and warm down south? A sunny and cold solstice here! Beautiful and now Snow on the way for Wednesday! I will be in class tonight doing tai chi solstice form, which I just invented, as I typed. It will probably be subtle. Paj, it's size 8 for me! for but I like things bigger. And I have to admit that I don't like sweaters. I'm a fleece fan. I became better at discarding things after cleaning out my mother and step-father's house. That'll do it. I had a bunch of relatives helping and we got it done in about 5 days! We had already gone through some of it while mom was alive and she had given special things to various people. But, there were loads of canned goods, clothing, etc. that went to a local church. It was exhausting and I send good thoughts to you and your D.H. We are trying to catch up on the family Christmas here! AACCCKK!!!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Wearing shorts roybird ^_^ Tai chi solstice sounds perfect.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

we are moved into the new house now, just in time for more snow this week. So I guess I won't be gardening over the weekend lol

Tagawa's is having their yearly sale between xmas and new years, and I'm planning on getting some bordfeeders and the NON SPROUTING birdseed.

Someone mentioned books above-- I now have all of my books (MANY BOOKS) in one room which is technically the guestroom but will also be my winecellar. Going for the french style of decoration there, so wine & books are probably just fine!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Books and wine! That sounds like heaven, Greenjay. Definitely my style as well.

I think my MIL was a 10 and a 12 and she wore her close very loose. I actually have been able to wear some of her sweaters. I am very grateful for them. They are works of art.

Good idea, roybird about giving away the canned goods. MIL had canned things that we never eat. But I bet some people would like them -- like canned carrots and peas.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Roybird is about 1200 miles south of me -- and she wants to know if it is warm down south.

Well it's warm up here in the north. 39F and rising! Sunny, too, although they seem to think it may snow (60%).

PJ, I would love to see pictures of art-sweaters. I can appreciate them without feeling them, to some degree!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Roybird is also at 7000 feet in elevation and only half a zone different from you, picante. I'm 50 miles South of roybird and 2 zones warmer.

Congrats on moving in greenjay. Have fun with the settling in and finding where everything goes.

Happy Solstice day everyone! And the season of days getting longer.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

For a Solstice/housewarming gift I received one of the little weather thingies that tells about outside and inside too. This one has a little guy on that also shows you what to wear. I have not checked if he has any visual advice about bare feet versus various footwear.

anyway point being it does tell sunset times and moon stuff too and it did say the sunset YESTERDAY was a 4:44 pm but TODAY it is going to be 4:45 pm.

That tells you something.

Happy and good solstice to all! Here it is sunny and not too bad windy but just a ways down the road it is precipitating and there is snowing going on on the mountain so no solstice visits up there oh well. Some things it is not too comfortable to be in denial of and snow actively falling might be one of them but might not either.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Snow falling is a pleasant Spring event. No need for any denial.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Happy solstice, everyone! We are expecting more snow tomorrow and Wednesday, which is okay with me because I got all my presents out in the mail, did the holiday grocery shopping, and stocked up on our refreshing beverages... so, let it snow, let it snow, let it snow. DH has cut up a huge pile of wood for the fireplace. I think I will be enjoying Christmas week!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Ah, I celebrated the solstice by swimming for 1 hr. at the local pool -- actually doing water aerobics which is vertical swimming. It was a nice day, got up into the 40's. Took DH to Santa Fe to leave his wonderful 4-wheel drive for a month in order to have hail damage repaired. A month! Luckily he inherited a Cadillac from his mother, but I don't think it will be so good in the snow -- which is supposed to start here tomorrow.
We are supposed to get 1 to 2 inches tomorrow and 1 to 3 inches tonight.
The weather bureau has a nice article on the solstice on its web site -- at least on the New Mexico page. It points out that though the daylight gets longer the temperature continues to drop ( average temp, that is) until Jan. 4. I knew that, but just a few more days of sunshine will make a big difference in my attitude, I am pretty sure.
I am with you, bsavage. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow. But let the Los Alamos electricity stay on , stay on, stay on, because our furnace doesn't work without it and this supposedly high-tech town has a very unstable electrical supply. Los Alamos and the Chunnel!

Santa Fe, NM

Not quite ready for snow but we want it anyway. D.H. has to go up and help his parents deal with their tree tomorrow and we have another tree event with friends tomorrow night. It has been an action packed day. Glad I had a tai chi class to unwind with earlier this evening. Happy Solstice!

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Here we are putting on our silk bows for the solstice dance. It's Piper's birthday, too.

Thumbnail by picante
Santa Fe, NM

Great picture. Happy Birthday, Piper! Today was my mother's birthday, too. Grandma's was the 23rd.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

That is a Solstice CLASSIC picante! Happy Birthday Piper Fox!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Ohhhh, how cute. Piper all dressed up for the solstice. And Picante as well! May we all sleep well this longest night of the year and wake up with lots of energy for spring! I will wear my butterfly hat tonight and dance around to bring more sun to planet earth tomorrow! I bet it will work!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

How cute, Picante! Piper loves the silk bows!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Happy birthday Piper.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

I'm glad everyone had a lovely solstice. Pipers bows are lovely. It was a nice rainy spring day here yesterday but it turned to freezing rain and snow last night. Thawing the car this morning was a delightful chore.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

It's sposed to rain here today. I have never seen a wet desert before. I have not seen a roadrunner yet either which is in the Great Book of Lists of things to see in the wild so I'm a little disappointed. Maybe today.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Roadrunners are out there in this part of the world. They are smart birds, so perhaps they are staying out of the rain and snow. Maybe if you carried around a small lizard to entice them. Just don't think you can hold the lizard with a string tied to its tail. Gotta use a leg. Hope you see one.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Desert rain is a wonderful thing! The mesquite smells so beautiful, like nothing else. Often there are excellent rainbows, and the cloud formations are gorgeous. I do love desert rain. As for the roadrunners, they do stay hidden away a lot. We had one for a while hanging around our house in AZ, he was very cute, but very fast and didn't like to be spotted. I hope you find one, DN! Keep your camera ready!

Santa Fe, NM

Brenda said it! There is nothing like the smell of desert rain, one of my favorite scents. It makes me feel home sick to think about it. There are Lots of roadrunners in the furnace creek area of Death Valley. D.H. even saw one up here recently, which is unusual. They like it warmer. Also, Dahlia, say hello to the javelinas for me. There is a wonderful Edward Abbey story about Christmas Eve in the desert with javelinas. I forget which book it is in. I had it on tape but now can't find it. Javelinas add a special touch to the Holiday Season!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Quoting:
Javelinas add a special touch to the Holiday Season!

(Furrowed brow) How so? Perhaps as dinner?

Santa Fe, NM

Just for me. I wish I could find that story for you. Edward Abbey could explain it so much better than I can. If you love quiet, lonely places and big skies and starlight then javelinas are magical. Especially on Christmas Eve. And not without some irony and humor. It also helps if you love Edward Abbey! It is a desert type of thing.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

:-)

Perhaps I'll have to read the story some time.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Well, javelinas are NOT on my list of favorite desert critters. They used to decimate our gardens from time to time. And be careful if you do see any Dahlinut... they can be vicious and very protective.

Now a mythical, friendly, funny, non-garden-eating javelina may be far more likeable!!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

LOL. The Javelinas probably feel the same way about you invading THEIR desert.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

and that would likely be Edward Abbey's opinion too. ;-)

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I have to admit that, as a child, I ate javalinas. My father hunted them. They taste like tough pork -- or at least ours did. This is not history I am proud of. My father was really into hunting with his buddies. And I just ate what was put in front of me. We ate a lot of elk, too, shipped in by my Jackson Hole, Wyo. relatives each year.
DH and I don't hunt and I rarely eat meat of any kind these days. The javalinas are now safe from my family.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Nothing to be embarassed about pajarito. They are no less appetizing than chickens and cows. I think if we all had to hunt down our own meat, we would all eat more beans.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.