Diversions in the Season of Denial

Santa Fe, NM

Particularly if we had to hunt javelinas. Kyla, I was thinking the exact same thing about Edward Abbey's opinion!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I, personally, have opted for the bean option. They are a lot easier to catch.

Picante,
Here is a sweater that my MIL knitted only about a year ago. It is the way the yarn was dyed that made the stripes. This is one of those times when I wish I had roybird around for advice on photography. Anyhow this gives you an idea.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

detail of same sweater:

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Here is the sweater knitted by Valentina Divine.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Detail of the Valentina Divine sweater -- it is all in popcorn stitch. In previous photo, note that all the buttons are whimsically arranged on the bottom right -- cute, but not meant to be functional.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

And here is a Valentina hat.

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

LOL, yes I'm sure the javelinas feel the same about us invading their desert. However I think they are not so sad about it, as we people keep planting fabulous salad bars for them! ^_^

Love that hat, Paja! Nice colors in the sweaters!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Merry Christmas/happy holidays all! Zerbeebee and I are on our way to California to visit my parents tomorrow, weather permitting.

^
/
/
/
/____
||

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Ooh, fabby sweaters Paj. I love sweaters but mine are not as bold and colorful as yours. One of my favorites is bright green with orange and brown leaf appliqués. It definitely has limited seasonal appeal though.

Santa Fe, NM

The sweaters are gorgeous! You must keep them and wear them, Paj. They will look good on you! Dave, you guys have a good trip! But, if the roads are bad don't risk it. We have a S.I.L. coming in tonight from Seattle. D.H. got his parent's tree up but his poor father was very upset about not being able to locate "the Bag of Bags". This is a bag full of used and saved gift bags. D.H. said he would buy his father more bags. "No, No!" wailed his father, " It's a Tradition!" "It is Not." said D.H., "But you can have our bags." Then our swamp cooler cover blew off the roof and D.H. had to put it back up while he was in the middle of our "holiday lighting display" which half the strings quit working on suddenly. He is now off to deliver the B.O.B. and get back in time to take us to a party. Sky is looking more and more intense. The good neighbor next door on the corner informed us that Trader Joe's is a Complete Zoo and taking hours to park and get out of. When snow is predicted here people run out and get Tons of food and beverages. Times like this I am glad to have a restaurant handy even if the traffic is a pain!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Oh, Roybird, sorry to hear of your swamp cooler cover and lighting issues... we had eleven out of fourteen strings of lights not work this year (and they were all working at the end of last season... sorry if I'm whining a bit and probably repeating my dismay at the lack of longevity of the lights...).

Very handy that you have an extra B.O.B.!

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Stunning knitwork of gorgeous multicolor & flecky yarns! I yearn for those yarns every time I see them in a knitting shop.

I just took about 35-40 things off to the consignment & thrift stores. Returned with only two, har har.

Bon voyage, Dave & Zerbeebee. Joyeux Noël!

[Picante is sitting staring out into the dark, wondering if Sofer is busy checking reindeer landing gear at this very moment. Or having a hot toddy with Mrs. Santa.]

Santa Fe, NM

Brenda, your light display looks terrific. I'm not sure how far we will get on this one but you have inspired me! The B.O.B. is a good thing to get rid of, altho I did keep birthday bags. I need to get some plain brown paper lunch bags for farolitos. They also make good gift bags if "fancied up".

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Thanks, Roybird! We 'found' a bunch of gift bags that our previous managers here had left, asked them if they wanted them or any of the whole bunch of Christmnas decorative things they left behind, they said no... so some of those have come in handy this year. Not to be synical, but I rather think our RV Park paid for them in the first place. Anywhooooo, as budget was tight this year, it was nice to have a little stash of Christmasy things!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Drive safely, Dave and Zerbeebee. The weather is really bad out there. Hopefully you are only driving to the airport.
Wow, for a minute there, roybird, I thought your swamp cooler blew off your roof! Thank goodness it was only the cover. I am sorry for everybody's trouble with strings of lights and pat myself on the back for giving up outdoor Christmas lighting years and years ago. I don't feel bah humbug about it, I am just lazy and make the excuse that it saves energy. And I have a strong dislike of keeping farolitos going -- but thoroughly enjoy seeing those provided by others.

I am very proud of my colorful sweaters -- a lovely legacy from my MIL.

DH and I are home and toasty warm for the evening. The snow is lovely but the roads are very slippery.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Beautiful sweaters, wow......

Dave, have a good journey, you and ZBB, be safe.....

Here we had snow this morning, it was quite lovely. Then we had backhoe digging just past the fence!

*oh well*

*get used to it, Kyla, this is your life for the next four months or so.*

So I went out and, Lo! the digger guys had lovely large rocks all piled up in the bucket of their thing! They were off at lunch so I figured I would get houseguest to help me steal the rocks and just put them over on our side of fence for future garden usage. This would have been amusing when the digger guys came back and noticed their rocks were missing!

But, such fun was not to be had because, when I got out there with gloves on and houseguest at the ready, the guys had returned. But it turned out well after all. One guy helped me hand some of the smaller rocks over the fence so houseguest only had to supervise. And then the other guy took and dumped the bucket of the thing right next to the fence corner, and promised to put all future rocks there for me.

We made friends. ;-)

Paj, goodness, our parents all did such things....... hunting javelinas for instance........ that we might feel called to apologize for, except that was them and this is us, so let's let them take responsibility for whatever it is. Then, when they did good stuff, like creating beautiful sweaters, we can take credit without fear of overbalancing ourselves. I know, but it makes sense to me.

I confess I don't even know what a javelina looks like, but that will probably not keep me out of heaven. (Not that I worry about getting in but it was a handy expression, sitting right there so I picked it up and used it. )

here's when the morning was pretty, in this picture.

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

merry Christmas to all and to all a good flight!

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

OH. Sofer is doing his reindeer blessing. That answers my question.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Kyla,
How sweet a deal with the rocks. As I read the story I just knew those digger guys would be happy to let you have the rocks. How nice that they were also willing to participate in their delivery.
Yes, I do forgive my forbears for being serious hunters. My dad and his family got through the depression hunting game in Jackson Hole. As a child he shot rabbits for the family dinner. No wonder he hunted as an adult.
And yes, my MIL and I disagreed on so much because she was from a different era, but now I have her beautiful sweaters and think back on the good moments we had together.
There is something about things being different from one generation to the next. but it is often hard for us to accept the fact that such differences are and were necessary.
My MIL was from the Gone with the Wind era, I am from the Gloria Steinem/Jane Fonda/Hillary Clinton Era. What a difference!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

And my generation has paid for the conversation with Scarlett at the foot of the stairway.

Santa Fe, NM

Nice picture, Kyla. I thought the back hoe guys would be glad to help with rocks. They don't want to hoard them! We woke up to about 2 inches of snow after being out late last night. I had a glass of eggnog and rum; something I haven't indulged in for years. It was quite pleasant. We were with very good long-time friends. We decorated their tree and played a silly word game. I brought my little camera and took tons of pic's which I mostly deleted later! We'll be back over there for brunch Christmas Day and then on to the parental domain! These are my holiday lights!

Thumbnail by roybird
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Oh, wow, roybird! That is a great photo. Sounds like you had a sane holiday celebration. I will be making my favorite thing for Christmas, reservations. After eating we will go to the movies.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

That's funny, Paj!

Roybird, I thought it was a sunset until I clicked on it. Mebbe your holiday lights had a bit of that rum.

Oh dear, I can't remember who Scarlett was talking to at the foot of the stairs. It's been tooooo long. Somebody tell me.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

The 'man' at the foot of the stairs was angrily looking up to Scarlett after finally being rejected for the last time. His name escapes me. (Clark Gable) LOL
The stereotype man has reinged in with the Gloria Steinhams, it fit well in the good that did proceed with the woman's unchaining. Welcome to our world of power.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Rhett Butler, silly.
I dunno about your world of power, Sof. I mean your personal one, it seems to include lots of non-dominant paradigm wildish encounters.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Feelings that a man can encounter, and understand, reflect with the hurt and joy of many of lifes encounters from the opportunities we men and women encounter. I have been blessed with BIG warm and cold experiences of thought and adventure. I am so fortunate!

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Santa Fe, NM

The lights came before the rum! when I could still move. Snowing on and off all day here. I got D.H.'s presents wrapped this afternoon while he was out at Whole Foods, which was packed. We had a hawk hunting for little birds in the front yard earlier! My parakeets were pretty freaked out. They may have witnessed a murder! They were being quite subdued so I turned on some music and gave them millet to revive them. They soon came around. Short attention spans. Which reminds me, I have class tonight. More lights!

Thumbnail by roybird
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Hope you flew Dave-who-is-Dave and Zerbee! Big blizzardous mess happened here yesterday and overnite. DH and I were tucked snug in Deming but apparently west was a mess! We are now in Green Valley for our Christmasy time. All the roadrunners in the SW are hiding from me :( Saw many, many beautitous hawks in the Patagonia mtns. today though ^_^

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Glad you were safe. Was I-10 terrible? I heard there were serious problems on I-40. I would expect that I-10 was also bad. Deming is not exactly the garden spot of New Mexico.
Where is Green Valley? I have to tell you that I have seen only a handful of road runners in my 45 years in New Mexico. Hawks in roybird's front yard! Yipes! The raptor protection folk must have really done their job. Roybird is in the heart of Santa Fe!
Poor little parakeets! How traumatic! Do keep the millet flowing.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I-10 was snowful but the roads were good. Green Valley is about 1/2 hour south of Tucson on I19. We are Christmasing on the golf courses here. Too funky weird but all the mileages are in kilometres on I19 so with the snow this morning I thought we'd been transported back to CA :O

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Thank goodness we are forcing the Americans to use a math that the students of America can easily grasp. Tablespoons, pounds eeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuk.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Do you spose our brains will become feeble when we no longer have to multiply & divide by 16 (oz./lbs.) and 12 (in./feet)? Or will we just be a less confused species?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

The latter, I think. There are plenty of things around to confuse our brains -- like how to set up a new computer, how to upload photos to DG, how to create a database or use the DG journal. There is plenty of stuff around to exercise our brains. ( Maybe learn a foreign language.)

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I think Paj that is what the young one will have room for, another language. Rather than learning stupid rules for an outdated and rather confusing system they can move the decimal point. How simple!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Happy Santa Day! I always use Dahliafeets for everything. Way easier than the other guys feets!

Santa Fe, NM

I use my Roybird Eagle Eyes to estimate spaces and distances non-measurably. Usually come up right or close to. It may be a super power! I am also good at matching colors without a color sample! Small gifts. Drives D.H. nuts as he is more in to tools, tapes, etc. Dahlia, I hope you did not run in to any dust storms out that way! The t.v. said there were some big ones. I stayed home from class last night due to iciness. It was just too much for me. Today, still snowing lightly. We have about 4 inches or a little more at our house.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

It was dusty storm late afternoon so we tucked ourselves into a hotel to wait it out and drove out of the blizzard yesterday morning. The ranches around looked so prettiful with snow.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

If everyone learned a foreign language, now that would form a basis for peace on Earth.

I'm so glad you didn't end up in the dust, Dahlia.

I wish we had gotten 4". Drat, it snowed all night and then all day yesterday, and it added up to one inch. Now, if we had gotten that snow in centimeters, it would be more, and then we could play with the decimal point to get millimeters or whatever we wanted. But alas, what can you do with a lousy inch?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Same here, picante. We got a lot of clouds and snow which melted. The lasting snow was only and inch or two. Well, at least it was enough to be pretty in tonight's farolito display,
Here in Los Alamos and also in Santa Fe, people put out lots and lots of farolitos for Christmas eve. I have a friend whose husband broke his leg skiing yesterday. He will be needing surgery on it, so she sent out an appeal to everyone she knows to help put their farolitos out tonight because their whole neighborhood lines the streets and everything else with them.
They are beautiful, but a pain if you are in the hospital and still have to keep the ( dumb) things lit. IMHO

Santa Fe, NM

I don't know if we will attempt the Canyon Rd. farolito walk this year. We also have a very good party to go to And the traditional Christmas Eve sandwiches with the folks. Sadly, all but the farolito walk involve steep driveways and dirt roads, so I'm less than enthusiastic. I have encouraged D.H. to be free to go on without me. He has no fear whatsoever of road conditions and if he ends up leaving his ancient volvo in a ditch it won't be much of a loss! Though, we do hope that he can keep himself able to walk out of it and not end up like your skiing friend, Paj. Ouch!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.