Diversions in the Season of Denial

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Yeah, 25mm of snow sounds like a lot more than an inch. Enough for forts and snowmen.

I hope the roads stay clear for you Dahlia. Road trips and iciness are not a fun combination.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

LOL, Katlian.

The farolito walk sounds magical.

We always go X-C skiing on Christmas. We'll try not to break any bones.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Lucky you Picante. We are cursed with sun and a few ice crystals falling from those isolated clouds. Booo Hooo I want snow. Poor Me...........

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Here is what it looked like out our front window 2 days ago...

Have fun cross country skiing! We might ski Telluride on Sunday!

Thumbnail by bsavage
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Ah Telluride. One of the many ski areas I have yet to visit. I hope I get rich some day, with dollars, and can visit the ski areas oh yes and all of the Baseball parks.
Not much here. We are planning on a cold front coming down the Frazer R valley and often that dumps snow.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Santa Fe, NM

Sun is out and snow is melting off the streets very quickly. Also getting windy and sending showers of glittery stuff around every so often.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

10* and beautiful at 10 a.m. today. We put out birdfeeders today and had flocks of chickadees and finches within an hour.

Thumbnail by greenjay
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Pretty snowscenes, Sofer and Greenjay!

Santa Fe, NM

Very good, Greenjay! Our little birds outside were quite put off by the hawk attacks yesterday but recovered or forgot by lunch time. The small hawk, which I think is a sharp shinned hawk, lives next door at the "good neighbor's" house. It can really navigate well in small yards! An excellent flier. We went out and drove up to where the party is tonight and the roads seemed good but will be icy, so we will go. Of course, I have nothing proper to wear to a fancy party where one must walk up an icy, snowy road in well below freezing weather to get there and then be too hot inside. It is a fur coat kind of thing and I've never had one nor wanted one anyway. However, the house is amazing, the food is superb and there are about 50-100 people, so I'll give it a shot. Or two. Also we got out of the family sandwich event! so we can go fairly early. I love the couple who give this party, by the way. They are poker player friends of D.H., among other things. You know, I wouldn't mind an extremely fluffy lime green fake fur coat, if I ever run in to one I will have to have it! A car picture coming back in to town today.

Thumbnail by roybird
Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Merry Christmas Everyone!
Here's a little holiday video song for you all:
http://homepage.mac.com/doug_arrington/home/white_christmas.swf

Santa Fe, NM

Oh, Thank You! Very nice. I am editing this to mention that there is more news about The Bag Of Bags! Through D.H.'s sister we have discovered that the B.O.B. has been missing for the last 2 or 3 Christmases But has always been found some time later in the winter and put away again. Most Mysterious!

This message was edited Dec 24, 2009 3:57 PM

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Loved the White Christmas card -- very much improved over the original White Christmas. The BOB must be enchanted and a little bit wicked -- popping up to tease and then disappearing when wanted. Wicked little critter.
Glad you get to go to a really nice party and avoid the sandwich event. I saw some pretty cool fur coats at the thrift store in Santa Fe, some of which were probably fake. But not a one was lime green. Guess you will have to search to find the right color of fake fur.
It is supposed to get down to 0 here tonight and -3 tomorrow night. Brrr. The dogs have been very cuddly lately. I think I know why. Who wants to be outside in the cold on a night like this? But during the day it was sunny with snow, so they romped and played and chased each other around in very joyful play. They are so much fun to watch. Like human children at the merry-go-round -- right, Sof?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

OMG I saw not 1 but FOUR roadrunners today on the golf course. I think they felt bad about hiding in the blizzard. One winked at me methinks ^_^ Also saw a lady cardinal AND a hummer came over to check us out. Goldfinches? and prettiful little brownishgreyish birds were swirling around. What a luvly luvly day! No farolitos here at all :( but Santa will visit tonight and tomorrow is a wonderous day so all is good!

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Wow, happy day, Dnut! I think roadrunners must like golf courses better than roads. Are the greens green?

Feliz Navidad! We finally got the tree decorated. Ho ho ho, now we can have a slumber party on the living room floor, just me, DH and Piper, who has special special treats for Christmas.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I TOTALLY LUV slumber parties. I am a big fan of jammies as you know dear picante. There is greenness on the course and dry goldiness in the desert. The mountains are luvly in the dry goldiness. This is a very prettiful time in the desert although those who live here are very ho hum about it.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Love the video, DenverJude! Dahlia, so glad you've gotten to see several roadrunners! From my experience, the desert is amazingly beautiful, but some times of year are more breathtaking than others. A good spring, for example, is absolutely stunning. Just like Colorado... it's always beautiful, but after you live here a while you find you think it is most pretty at certain times, nonetheless, it is always beautiful!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

You guys are having too much fun down there in the sun. We too are sunny and currently -6F and a beautiful star lit night full of wonder. We do Christmas as adults tonight and I got the best gift from my dogs and cat. They got me a EPIRB that tracks me when I am adventuring. My DW (and dogs and cat) can load a number and track me on Google Earth. Kind of neat for her and I can push a button for help and she can tell where to pick me up on the beach. (or where my body is drifting) I hope the Brown bear doesn't swallow it they will be on a "wild bear chase". LOL Oh yeah it also has a 911 button. How long do you think that it would take 911 to respond to me in some island passage in SE AK.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

That sounds like a very cool and fun gadget, Soferdig!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

That is way cool Sof!

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Yesterday was SPARKLY! It was so cold, but very pretty!
Today just cloudy, still very cold and looking like more snow. We're only supposed to get a dusting.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

It is bright and sunny and totally snow covered except for streets, roads, sidewalks and driveways. This is the perfect snow. Covers everything that isn't needed for getting around. DH and I will soon have a lovely dinner, an art show -- yes there is an opening on Christmas Day -- and a movie. DSS telephoned and sounded cheery and happy, too.
The dogs chase each other and vie to get that precious item -- an old plastic tray for plants. Yes, I have bought them lots of toys which are safely buried and saved for the future somewhere. The old garden tray, however is the object which must be fought over and stolen. And its even more fun in the snow.

Santa Fe, NM

Merry Christmas! Glad to hear about the road runners, Dahlia! I am currently taking a breather between festivities. Went to the party last night where we ate lots of good food. Went to our friends for brunch today and ate more good food. Next will be the family dinner where we will eat more good food! The Bag of Bags was found hiding in a box last night! Too late to be of much use this year. D.H. was supposed to make Waldorf salad for dinner but he forgot to get apples and we have only one apple in the house and there are No grocery stores open so he is calling his sister. l.o.l.! We have gotten many wonderous gifts including chocolates!

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Merry Christmas, everyone!

I would like to introduce to you my new family member. Meet Whistling Sam the Astral Elephant:

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Whistling Sam is very beautiful, indeed! And he rides around on a lovely sled! I wanted to get sleds for Christmas, but we agreed nothing other than the pool table. So now I am going to find some vintage type sleds on sale, because I wish to go sledding and I found out where the local good sledding hill is! Hope everyone is having a lovely day!

Santa Fe, NM

Whistling Sam is very cool, Kyla! Sledding sounds like an excellent idea. We just got home from the family dinner although we did leave rather early. We were there for 4 hours and I reached my limit. When my M.I. L. went to bed I figured I might as well head off, too. A long day.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Ahhhh, welcome home, Sofgerdig! It is good to relax.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Welcome Whistling Sam ^_^ I made a new bird friend yesterday. A warbler? with a soft peach lower belly (rump). It was trying to draw us away from its nest methinks. I will try to get a pic today.

Santa Fe, NM

There are wonderful birds in that area! Some are from Mexico, too. A wide variety. It was 6 degrees this morning when we got up.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Hey Dahlia have all your bird friends come home with you so we have some up here. Show them the flakes of snow falling and they will be anxious to come north. We need to talk the tropical birds to migrate to at least to Calgary.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

There is at least one Cara Cara bird that has made it to Yellowstone. I saw it standing in the middle of the Lamar Valley road. It looked so startlingly tropical, we pulled out the bird book and got an ID. Hmm, that guy is Mexican, no wonder he's standing there looking disoriented.

Since I was a parkie, I thought I'd better call it in. Unflappable Nick in the Comm Center said "OK. I wouldn't believe you, but someone else just called it in."

Inquiring minds need to know: What is an astral elephant?

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I had the same experience crossing the continental divide on Rodgers Pass. Off to the right below a cliff was a LARGE white long necked bird. I thought it was a whooping crane but thought there was no way. Sure enough when I arrived at the national forest service to report it they told me yes it was a Whooping Crane! Many had reported the wayward traveller.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Wow! That bird was lost! I remember some years back when they tried to get Whopping Cranes planted on the western flyway by putting their eggs in the nests of Sandhill Cranes. It didn't work, though. How long ago did you see that bird. Maybe it was one of the ones that they tried to get started there?
I see Sandhill Cranes here a lot. They are big enough that even I can identify them. I can also identify roadrunners and kestrels and red tailed hawks. Also bald eagles. Then there is a whole category of birds I call "really big hawks". Goldens eagles fall into that category. I have never seen them hold still long enough that I could hope to identify them.
I took a bird identification class once, but I really need to take another one.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Everyone this is Ronald. He was the roadrunner that winked at me 2 days ago and today we became friends over a multigrain bagel and a serious discussion of how to retrieve my golf ball when a BIG AZ spider was hiding behind it. The problem with golf clubs are the heaviness factor which would be spider killing; the problem with roadrunners is they eat anything including spiders which Ronald offered to do. Hmmmm. Problem resolved by jiggling the golf ball with my trusty wedge. Spider scurried behind a nearby rock so I could drag out the ball while Ronald was distracted by a tasty seed cluster from the bagel.. I LUV when alls well that ends well ^_^

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I saw the Whooper on the continental divide west of Great Falls near the Missouri River. I suppose he (or she) was checking out how difficult it was to fly over the rockies. Too much I guess cause it stayed on the pass for over 3 days. I guess they fly up the Mississippi with the Sand hills. I see them all over Michigan on the great lakes in the summer. And down in Bradenton Fla when I visit my Aunt and Uncle in the winter. I have seen them also in Fairbanks, AK in May when they arrive. It is a big deal to the Alaskans when they show up.
You can always tell the Golden Eagles because they have feathers on their legs. The ones we have here in Montana are Huge! Much bigger than any Bald eagle I have seen anywhere. I saw one lift up a deer carcas and fly it 20 ft to get it away from the road. My favorite bird is the Vulture. There was a pair of them that raised babies in a barn near my parents house. This is after they were about 3 months.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Santa Fe, NM

Ronald is most attractive. I'm sure he enjoyed the bagel more than he would've liked the spider. I think they like to eat small snakes and lizards as a regular diet. It looks warm down in the desert. OOOh, COLD, here! We went out to El Dorado, a suburb of Santa Fe, today to visit the younger relatives. This one is 3 and 1/2. The 1/2 is important to him. He wasn't tired, either. Not much.

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

I like buzzards, too, Sofer. Here is the older brother. He's 6 and 1/2 and beat me at checkers but lost to D.H. on the Wii game. Both boys are just gorgeous, of course!

Thumbnail by roybird
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Gorjus is an understatement! Alas I have learned that Road Runners (RR) are NOT what you want to have in your garden sigh. Apparently Ronald was smoozing me :( Sigh being a desert newbie is fraught with danger.

Santa Fe, NM

Why do you not want roadrunners in your garden? Do they eat everything like javelinas? How about the adorable little desert owls who live in the cactus? They might be good.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Yes they eat everything according to my dear friend J who has a ranch in Sapello NM. Lonediver in Maricopa AZ has built an owl habitat in the desert. That would be SO cool to have desert owls in my garden for sure!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Here is what Wikipedia says about roadrunners feeding habits:

>>mainly feeds on insects, small reptiles, rodents, tarantulas, scorpions and small birds, as well as fruit and seeds.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.