Thumbnail by WQP
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Thumbnail by WQP
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Thumbnail by WQP
Christiansted, VI(Zone 11)

WOW!!!

I think I like most the yellow-centered white with the squared petals.

Harrisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Absolutely beautiful, thanks, again!
Larry

Are these all current blooms?

Sekoia is just opening two blooms. Both the beautiful frilly white. I'm beginning to believe I don't have enough sun, my neighbor's trees are tall. I may not trim them, phooey.

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Thanks Larry

Most are from this week, only five were from last week Melissa, but most have fallen of do to the rain that's been falling since yesterday. the square petal one is Vanilla Ice, it was supposed to be more of a greenish color that its not as you can see.

Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP
(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

They are all beautiful, Wilfred. Did you buy these locally or did you order them? I love the yellow and photo #1!

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Hi Clint and thanks, #1, #2, #3, #13 and #18 I bout them on eBay as grafted plants, quit expensive though for what they sent me has a grated plant, very small indeed for what I paid for when I first got them, the others have been grown from seeds.

Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP
(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I want one of these!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pkerror/2747952271/in/photostream/

This message was edited Dec 16, 2009 2:35 PM

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Go for it Clint, check if the same place that Doris got hers got grafted plants for sell or check eBay for it. I know I would try and get one too.

Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP
Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

The trouble with trying to get a grafted plant is all the paper work you need to do, and having the plant needing a clearance form.you also need a clearance form for seeds but that only costs a small amount, trouble is if you do not get it they can destroy your order and you get nothing.
So far I am dissapointed as I have had my seeds planted almost two weeks and no sign of life yet, others I purchased were up in a few days. Wilfred do your seeds come up fairly fast or have you had slow ones.

Doris

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Doris, I've found over the years that if the seeds don't germinate in a week or week and a half they won't come out at all, I usually wait two weeks, what ever does not germinates in that time is most probably won't. There is aways a few seed that fail to germinate but if the percentage is high that miens something is not right, here are a few factors, #1 seeds to old, #2 seeds picked before time of readiness, didn't wait till pod started to open, #3 plant didn't have enough water while it was developing the seeds, note: to much water will also damage the seeds, #4 seeds planted to deep, seeds must be verily be covered, #5 soil mix to dry for seeds to germinate, #6 soil mix to wet, seed will rot fast. #7 not enough sunlight, needed to germinate seeds faster, half day should be good enough. And #8 to me would be, seeds were exposed to very low temp. or high temp. for that matter and died in the process, DRs seeds are small plants in a shell and are not protected hardly at all from the elements.

Some seeds from some DRs germinate faster than others but the time frame for all is about two weeks or less, fresher seeds tend to germinate faster than the older ones. seeds that come from other countries usually take two weeks or a month to get to you after you have placed an order, they need to be cleared and have the clearance form in most cases which take time depending on the country. Also you really don't know how long they have been stored before selling them to you. Example would be the ones sold on eBay as option, option is places for a month so people will be bidding on them while the seeds are on the self in a storage building somewhere in Asia, after a month someone won them at a high prise now he has to wait another month to get them, than has to find the time to plant them. you see, all this took about three month before the seeds were planted,
#1 time it was stored before option.
#2 time of duration of option.
#3 time it took to get seeds to you.
#4 time it took you to plant them.
It a risk one takes when buying DR seeds over seas, but one does it in the hope of just getting one to germinate that would be totally wonderfully different from the rest.

I never get a 100% of seed germination, I usually get 75% to 90% germination, if I'm lucky I get 95%. if I get less than that its probably that I did something wrong when planting them or seeds were to wet and they rotted before germinating process had a chase. Its all about practise, the more you do it the better you get at it, learning by doing it and observing what works for you in your area.

Doris, I the seeds I sent you failed to germinate for you, I'll send you more when my other seed pods are ready, have a plant with 25 seed pods on it, another with eight pods on it, another two with four pods each on them, and another with two pods on it. Also I pollinated about 50 bloom on my biggest and oldest plant this week, so I think I can send you some more when they are ready.

Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP
Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Wilfred my seeds were from overseas so they may be too old, I never had any DR seeds from you.I still have my 4 pods waiting to split,
it will soon be 4 months since I discovered the seed pods, don't know why they are taking so long, they are pretty hard, when they do split I will have plenty of seeds.

Doris

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Sorry Doris, forgot I kept waiting to get your address since I did wanted to send you some of mien from different plants, reason I wanted to send them to you anyway even though you are about to get a whole bunch from your DR is that almost all the seedling from your would look almost the same, I had plane to send you from my lighter tone almost white to the ones that are almost red. Now than, would you still want the seeds that I wanted to send you and again sorry for not remembering I didn't send you the seeds I wanted to send you.

BTW Doris, mien usually germinate in three to four day, your pods are probably taking longer do to the time of year but don't worry, they will ripened when you least expect it to do

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Wilfred I would like some of your lighter ones, I did purchase some MIXED seeds from a vender on the Internet,(not ebay) and they have all come up but I will not know what they are until they bloom, there are a couple that even the stem is very light, not sure if that means anything.

Doris

Doris, maybe you could add some light in the evenings. More light, more food in the plant, photosynthesis. Plants 'go to sleep' at night.

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Doris, you just made my day in accepting the seeds I offer you, I will get seeds from the lightest DRs I have and send them to you when the seed pod are ready and have opened. D-mail me your Mailing Address so to be able to send them to you as soon as their ready, already placed a tiny tag on the pod of one of them with your name. about the ones with the litter stems usually means something but you still won't know if it has been carried on to the bloom color until it blooms, you just might end up with DR plants that have lighter stems but you can also end up with a plant that has wonderful lighter color blooms. just have to wait for them to bloom, I would tag those seedling with the lighter stem for future comparison when it blooms with the others that seemed normal to you.
Melissa may have a point there, days during the winter time are shorter, thus giving it less time to photosynthesise and needing more time to complete the seed pod growth cycle. Just use the extra light at night until the seed pods ripen and finally open.

Wilfred

Those who give from the heart receive from the heart.

Thumbnail by WQP
Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Molamola they are under lights 24hrs a day

24 hours, they never get a chance to sleep!

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

That's OK they need to catch up

Wilfred, a quick yes-or-no question, I think you should be sleeping instead of reading here! But anyway, will longer days make these DRs decide to bloom? Mine are green, green, green! I hope for flowers!

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Yes and no, Direct sunlight is what endues blooming, what fertilizer are you using, a supper bloom fertilizer helps a lot to produce bloom on it, give them a double dose and wait two to three weeks to see results.

Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.