My Desert Rose

Arlington, TX

I put this post on the cacti forum but realize now it needs to go here. I have had this plant for 2 years and keep it outside in warm weather and bring it in for the winter. It is placed in a low light window sill (my best option) and seems to go dormant. My question is can I trim back the branches without killing the plant? I want to repot next spring and have it look more like a bonsai.
Cheryl

Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw
Deltona, FL(Zone 9b)

What a BEAUTIFUL adenuium!!! I heard at this point in the year it is best to wait until spring to trimn them, but no it will not kill it. It will actually make it a little bit bushier dependin on how you trim it! Not only that but they say it makes for more flowers. Good luck!

Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

cut when she shows new growth
Cutting during dormancy will lead to rot and lots of crying
Beautiful specimen of an Obesum!!
Congrats! ;)

Christiansted, VI(Zone 11)

could there be a way, anyone, to trim this lovely plant and not leave stub scars? Some of the plants posted here are so wonderful, but loaded with stub scars. Such as the big one in Kew Gardens.

Cheryl, what I would do would be to pinch the very ends of the branches when the plant is growing, so it would have littler branches on the ends of the big branches.

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

The scars on the plant will disappear with time but the final way it looks depends on how you've have made the cut at time of trimming it Melissa.

Even though the plant doesn't look like its fully dormant, I would wait until it was getting warm again in spring, healing will take longer and a little risky to try it now as the longer it takes to heal the higher the risk of it rotting as new tissue over the wound would take longer to develop.

Wilfred

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

The plant is intriguing, where can I get one???????????????

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

From a friend,

or a garden center near you that sells them

or on the net.

Your Friend Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP
Arlington, TX

Annabelle15,
I am originally from Dearborn Hts. MI! I got this plant from Home Depot, they had them on sale in the spring. Most looked to be in poor condition and I suspect they were over watered. I have seen them inside Home Depot in the indoor plant section from time to time also.
C

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

I just got my seeds from Whatcom seed Co.
Has any one grown them from seed, and instructions are simple, so here goes. wish me luck

Arlington, TX

Let me know how it goes. WQP has mailed me some seeds and when they get here I will attempt to start some new plants myself.
C

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

annabelle15, just curious, how may seeds you get from them and at what price if its OK with you letting us know. Have you read my thread on "How to make your desert rose produce seeds", it also shows how I plant my seeds and would like to know if its the same as the instructions they given you just to compare them and see if there is any difference between them. Even though mien works excellent for me it might not be working as well for others and if there's another way that can help others germinate seeds that would be great.

Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP
Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Wilfred I need some advice on seperating two plants, my plant that produced seed pods this year is like two plants in one pot, I think I must seperate them as they are getting two big for the pot, and one is growing sideways, I know I must wait until spring,they are about 6 years old, later today I will post a picture.

Doris

Arlington, TX

Seeds are planted, keeping my fingers crossed for some good germination.
C

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

WQP, I got 11 seeds, Keep your fingers crossed they are planted. Hopefully I'll have a "Forest" when they start growing, I'm planning on sharing them with all of my sisters, (6) so we'll see what happens......

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

WQP, I paid $4.39 plus $2.95 shipping. Planting instructions say; Lay seeds flat, barely cover with loamy but well drained soil. Provide bright light and warmth. Water only when soil is nearly dry. Do not keep wet or use heavy soil.
That is all they say. So I followed the instructions. I used to live in California, so I miss all of the advantages of the Tropical weather and I really enjoy trying to bring some of it into the snow belt.

This message was edited Jan 17, 2010 8:44 AM

Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

snowbelt adeniums is a good supplier ;)
I buy lots of arabicum adenium from him and seeds too.
Never a problem dozens of purchases

http://stores.ebay.com/Snowbelt-Adeniums?_rdc=1

Phil @ Cornell University

Arlington, TX

No seedlings yet, but still hopeful for some germination. I just hope I didn't over water them the first week.
C

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.