Diversions while we wait for the days to get Long Enough

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

We came from here "Diversions in the Season of Denial"
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1062323

Thumbnail by DenverJude
Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

thanks DJ. ;-)

I am risking not covering those seedlings tonight, as last night it only got down to 40! tonight is already colder but heck with it, let 'em fend for themselves. Same for the bird water, which I usually dump out around 4:30, if it freezes solid oh well.

am I tired? ya reckon so.

night night all.....

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Thanks for new thread DJ.

Kyla,
I am tired, too after a long day of long overdue work around the house. Stuff I ( we ) should have done ages ago. Funny, it wasn't as hard as we feared. That should be a lesson to us.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks for the new thread DJ. Going to look at properties in Rio Rico today and then off to Marana.

Santa Fe, NM

Thank you for the new thread, DJ. I'll have to look up Marana and Rio Rico to see where they are. I wish Sofer would post a pic of his chicken. It sounds like a find. What is it's name? Sorry about your house guest, Kyla. But, perhaps she can come back later on. Quiet is good! We are still packing up the remnants of our visiting relatives so there are more holidesque events in the near future but not as intense, I hope. Today I want to get outdoors and walk later. It is currently 16 degrees. We are burning wood like crazy this winter. It seems unusually cold. We watched a movie last night that I hadn't seen before called, "The Usual Suspects", which was unusually good. The night before we watched a Mexican movie with sub-titles called "Dust to Dust" or "Por la Libre". Not sure why the titles are so different. It was sweet. I got D.H. 5 or 6 DVD's at the flea market, remember, and now we are watching them. He was surprised, btw. Neither of Kevin's parents could figure out Christmas presents for us even tho we made suggestions, like socks or candles. Kevin's father ended up giving him a set of tweezers yesterday, just to give him Something! l.o.l. The situation is not without humor. My M.I.L. says she is sending me a subscription to Martha Stewart Living. (o.k.) One S.I.L. is knitting me a hat which she just started and another sent me a little purse and wallet which are immediatly going in to the re-gift box! To be fair, another S.I.L. has given me an "optical track ball" which is a kind of mouse that I actually wanted! We also got some lovely smoked salmon. I'm going to push for more charity donations next year!

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

"The Usual Suspects" is an _excellent_ movie! The end really is a surprise.

Dahlia - Are you giving up the BC mountains for the AZ desert? That's quite the radical change of climate!
My cousin recently moved to Hereford AZ (about 50 mi east of Rio Rico in the middle of nowhere) but she moved from the Las Vegas area of NV so it's just a bit hotter and drier for her (and she gets to have her horses on her own property now).

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Calgary is on the plain within spittin' distance of some of the most spectacular mountains in North America. You can see them jutting up from far far away, and a shiver of awe runs through you.

However, to actually live in the mountains would mean moving from zone 3 to one colder (!!!!), unless our Dnut wants to move over to the BC side, where the zones run wildly from 3a to 6a. And you still have the extreme lack of sunlight hours in the winter.

So many things to consider for our gardens and our health! It's just nice to have so many options of beautiful places to live.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I know Calgary is situated geographically much like Denver is to the mountains, but in my head I keep thinking that it's in BC, not AB. I don't know why I keep thinking that. Maybe it's because of how Colorado is laid out with the plains on the eastern half and the mountains on the western half with the continental divide running through the middle. It's the 'map' I have in my head. If I switched it to how AB and DC are arranged, Denver would be in Kansas. Weird (to me anyway). I think I'm very spatially oriented in this oddball brain of mine.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

If you think your brain is odd...
My mental maps often have south at the top.

Santa Fe, NM

DJ, I also picture Calgary being in B.C. though I know better. In my case it might be because the furthest N.W. I've ever been is northern California. Nova Scotia is the only part of Canada I've ever been to. I have not been to much of the northern U.S. except on the east coast and some what in Michigan and Wisconsin. I am not much of a traveler and am most likely to enjoy very obscure places that no one else wants to visit. Places with interesting local food, if possible.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I know better too. I've also travelled all over the place, but somehow my brain keeps thinking Calgary is in BC.
*stoopid brain*

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

they are all like that I've decided, DJ. Brains, I mean.

I am feeling so lazy I could not even rouse myself to go out for the mail today, two blocks away.

seedlings survived being left out of covers in freezing night of under 20 F degrees but are well covered for this night.

about all I can manage, is that and dumping the bird water so it won't freeze.

enjoying my winter laze..........zzzzzzz

Santa Fe, NM

Speaking of food and diversions, we are going to an African restaurant tomorrow night with friends. It will be interesting to see what they serve. Africa is a big continent.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

An African restaurant? In Santa Fe? Tell me more. I have never had African food -- except for gumbo and blackeyed peas in the South.

Santa Fe, NM

Yes, in Santa Fe; it is new, I think. Called Jambo. Not sure where it is, probably in a strip mall. Friends' idea to go there. I'll let you know what it's like.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

You guys are funny with geography. It must be the large volumes of wine consumed in the southern rocky mountains. LOL
You were talking about 'Usual Suspects" with the interesting ending. You would like the new movie that is called "Doubt". I would like someone who saw it to discuss their conclusion with the end. I enjoyed both. So much subtle clues in both to give you the answer or with "usual" the suspicions of conclusion.
I have just concluded my 6th day of doing nothing and sleeping in to 9:30 to 10:00 each day. No snow to get me up on the slopes and no projects in the house to get me motivated to move. Got my chicken picture for you guys.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

LUV the yet to be named chicken Sof! Calgary is floaty DJ with the chinooks so maybe one day it might be in BC although I'm not at all fond of the BC monsoons which is why I left there. Rio Rico is a luvly town and we looked at some places in the hills.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

With the Chinooks, maybe Calgary will float to Saskatchewan! ;-p

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

That could happen too! (snorkel)

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Do they have saguaros and barrel cactus in Rio Rico? If so, I highly approve of your interest in property there -- not like you need my opinion in order to buy land.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Saw barrel cactus but not saguaros. Too high maybe? They get a good monsoon in july so more moisture than the desert proper. Tons of the purpley and green what I call paddle-leaf cactii (whick is SO not their name) and prickly pear cactii. All suggestions and voting are welcome dear paj ^_^

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Barrel cactus are a definite plus. Saguaros are very picky about their location, I think, but are definitely a plus in my books. Maybe you could buy and plant a small one if you end up purchasing in Rio Rico.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Oh definitely putting in a saguaro or 2 and one that looks like a yucca but isn't that I see everywhere in gardens but not in the wild. I'm so going to hang in the cactii forum to learn more. Also I have cactii seeds that roybird gave me to grow my own cactii ^_^

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I have grown cacti from seed. It is fascinating. But they are very slow growing. I once visited a huge cactus nursery in Tuscon and saw that they grew massive numbers of cacti from seed in a greenhouse and they did everything just right and their cacti grew much faster than mine. At that point I decided to buy my cacti from then on.
I was once really into cacti -- like I am now with iris. I traveled to see them in bloom and I belonged to the Cactus Society of America. It was fun, but that was several moves ago and at some point I gave up moving my cacti.

Santa Fe, NM

Who was in the movie, "Doubt", Sofer? D.H. thinks he saw it. I haven't yet. Happy to hear that all the cacti are being appreciated. I like them all in their right place. Grew up with saguaros and such. Not as many as there used to be. The saguaros don't take kindly to air pollution. I love seeing desert plants in bloom.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I saw Doubt and my DH did the sound for a local version of the same play. I think it is outstanding. It is by John Patrick Shanley who also wrote Moonstruck, another one of my favorite movies. It had Meryl Streep, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Amy Adams in it and Meryl Streep did her usual bang up job as the "mean old nun" so known to Catholic schooled youth. She was perfect. Philip Seymour Hoffman was also really cool, as usual, as the young sympathetic, up-and-coming (in church hierarchy) priest.
Amy Adams is the young naive sweet nun who is a teacher working for Sister Aloysius.
Basically, Sister Aloysius gets the young priest to resign from his job as rector of his parish on an accusation that he is doing something unmentionable with the young black student, the first to enter their school. It seems the young black student appears to be gay.
Anyhow, to make a long story short, Sister Aloysius manufactures evidence that gets the priest to leave voluntarily, but, to her distress, he just gets a better job running a bigger and better school, and is not punished, as she wished he would be.
The bottom line, though, is that after all is said and done Sister Aloysius is sorely distressed by her own doubt about whether she was right or not after marshaling this mighty attack on the priest. She is extremely distressed in her own heart about what she has done. It is quite a mighty statement that in the end we had better pay attention to our own consciences, rather than accusing others. She forgot to listen to her own conscience until it was all over.
The movie is a little different from the play -- the tell-tale evidence is not found in the boy's locker in the play and is in the movie. That has the effect, in the play, of making Sister Aloysius look meaner than she does in the movie. But she didn't know for sure what the priest had done alone with the boy in his rectory, in either version.
The worst thing she did though, is take the boy away from the only person in the world he felt safe with and looked up to. And in the end, she did it on an assumption, circumstantial evidence, but no facts. And she has to live with her own doubt about her righteousness at the end.
It is well worth seeing and people who grew up in the Catholic school system seem to get the biggest laughs of all. I didn't go to Catholic schools but I did enjoy the funny parts a lot. The overall message is serious and good as well, at least as I see it.
What did you think, Sof?

As for me, this is the time of the year when I get cold and stay cold until about June. All of a sudden, I just can't get warm, no matter what I do. I know the days are getting longer, but not fast enough for me. I do hope we leave next year around this time of the year and I can't even guess how it feels to live in Montana or Canada. ( Remember this is the farthest north I have ever lived.)
It was dreary but without snow today. The Los Alamos weather station is not even reporting the temperature to the Weather Bureau since Christmas Day. That fact added to the dreary weather convinces me that I am living on an ice flow somewhere and will never see spring again. I know, I know -- that is ridiculous, but I am just describing the feeling. The brain keeps telling me, "You'll live."

Santa Fe, NM

D.H. says he hasn't seen "Doubt" so that is one we will rent in the future. We had dinner at the African restaurant tonight, Jambo. It is a tiny little place sandwiched in next to some stores not far from Petco in College Plaza on Cerrillos. It was packed and the food was excellent. Our only complaint was that the largest seating arrangements fit 4 people and we were next to the outside door so we were sitting in gusts of cold air sometimes. Also, the fruit punch tasted like Hi-C. The prices were reasonable. I split jerked chicken and plantains and a roasted vegetable salad with goat cheese with our college age friend. D.H. had a coconut-lentil stew. Another friend had talapia and the child with us had a toasted cheese sandwich on pita bread. We also had lovely gelatos, lime coconut and dark chocolate. They have green coconut water drinks, goat, lamb, etc. They do not serve wine or beer. The place used to be a little Mexican lunch restaurant. It is much nicer now but they will have to move to a larger space if they stay popular. Tomorrow we are going with our visiting relatives to the Folk Art Museum. Although I am enjoying all the activities I am starting to long for some solitude and boring routine. But, I'm sure that will come soon enough!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I looked at the movie "Doubt" with the character development. I saw Sister Aloysius as a sorrowful character with a perspective of a dark background. "I know what people do". I saw her character hugging a baby that was not there when she was experiencing her pain through the challenge of not knowing what the Father did. I assumed that this may have been a painful loss of a past experience. I carried this with the effect she had on her students, Sisters, and of course her young Sister who had no blinding pain in her past. She made all of her interactions dark and destructive. Amy Adams could see the warmth and love of the priest who carried beautiful and questioning sermons for his Parrish to grow with. I look at people regardless of their "history" by what they produce with their lives, not what they did. The Priest was the antithesis of Sister Aloysius. Whatever happened only led the isolated, abused, and hungry student to lose the value in his relationship to the Priest. Meryl was the dark soul of the movie. I conclude it was hard not to put the well known history of the Catholic Church Priesthood on trial during the movie.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

I saw Doubt also, and the characterizations reminded me a great deal of some of the faculty interactions I saw when I taught in New Orleans years ago.

I was most distressed by the way they "winterized" their roses in the courtyard. And no where did they mention which varieties they might be!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Oh, right, Greenjay. I remember the rose winterization scene, but not too well. Should have paid more attention since that was, no doubt, an important part of character development.
Yes, Sof, I think this movie did hint at the discoveries that a whole lot of priests throughout the world have been up to no good in their relationships with their young students. I am sure the playwright counted on the effect of that knowledge on the audience -- but it takes place in the 60's when they were first integrating blacks into the schools. At that time the stuff about pedophilia hadn't come out. So it might be that the old nun was onto it in her guts, but she had no evidence -- hence the tragedy of the whole thing. If the guy were really guilty, then his promotion would have been a tragedy. On the other hand, she never really knew that he was guilty.
I wasn't raised as a Catholic, but lots of my friends attended Catholic school and talked about "mean old nuns" who were good at throwing erasers. I never heard anything about pedophilia until I was an adult. One woman I know told me her husband had been approached by a priest while on a school sponsored trip to Rome. That was still before the large numbers of accusations of pedphilia came out.
But the sad thing in the movie/play was that the young man just needed to stay in that school a few months so he could move on to an arts school and the priest wasn't there to help him do that. Even if the priest was making untoward advances, he wanted to be there and his mother wanted him to be there. The nun was definitely on to something - - but not necessarily in this particular case.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Penny,
Thanks for the into to a new restaurant. Sounds interesting except for the fruit punch. Will have to try it before long. Do you remember which strip mall it is in -- i.e. what is another better known business nearby.

Santa Fe, NM

College Plaza near Petco, and Smiths. Closer to St. Michael's than Lan's but not far from Lan's. It is also the shopping center for Ace Hardware. It is north of Office Depot. D.H. says " That ought to be confusing enough. "

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

PJar: I saw the garden as a metaphor with the roses wrapped in sack cloth as the lives of the people damaged by life's experiences. What was once a beautiful flower now covered and dead with ugly cloth. The nun Sister Aloysius is darkened by a 'sin?' that has by, I think her loss of a baby, through abortion or death. This is shown by her hugging a blanket to her chest in the confrontation with the Priest in the office. This precipitated by the Priest's question: "Have you not committed a mortal sin in your life?". She goes from attacker to penitence at that moment. The Priest having confessed his sin to Christ in his statement "My sin is firmly in the hands of my Savior". He is able to go through life as a protagonist serving his church family in a positive way. This all viewed and decided by the young Sister (Amy) through the eyes of a young person who has not yet been dammaged by life's experiences. Also she sees the affected young man (knowingly gay) accepted and nurtured by the Priest losing his needed relationship with the Priest, accepting his sexual prefrence or partaking in it. Of course this is all oversewn with the known history of the Priesthood of the Catholic church being filled with men who are gay, having sexual relations with many young men on recent news broadcasts.

Santa Fe, NM

It sounds like "winterizing the roses" is a metaphor for all sorts of situations in this movie. I got a kick out of Greenjay's comments! Some of us want to know just exactly what they intended to do with those roses. Where did the movie supposedly take place? That might be a clue as to what kind of roses. l.o.l. On a more serious note, I know a man who was molested by a pedophile priest. That particular relationship was confused by the fact that the people involved were very close and did love each other. Although, certainly, the priest was taking advantage of an innocent child. The abuse took place in the '70's, so there was that sort of thing going on way before all the sex scandals came out. I was raised Catholic and generally avoided nuns and priests as much as possible. I do remember one sister that I was friends with much later in life. She liked tap dancing and was a big Denver Broncos fan! You never know!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Well we Lutherans had similar problems with our Pastors. When I was going through "conformation", a period of indoctrination about the concepts according to the Lutheran church, we had a similar pastor. He had definitely some issues with anger and authority because when ever we would act out (boys only) he would grab our arm and slam our elbows into the table where we sat. I can still remember the anger in his eyes. He often elevated it when multiple offences occurred with my elbow going into the concrete wall. I have often thought why I don't follow rules very well from this authority figure. GOOD EXCUSE STEVE. Steve conserding his past and why life has failed him. LOL

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Santa Fe, NM

L.O.L.! Nice photo.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

It didn't just happen with priests and ministers. When I was in high school I had a math teacher in my freshman year (male, good looking) who had favorite girls... I became one of them and then became very uncomfortable (he liked to have me stay after class and sit on his lap... enough said). Though I should never have had the same math teacher two years in a row, somehow I ended up in his class for my sophomore year. I asked the powers that be to transfer to a different teacher, they told me that was not possible unless I failed his class. So, I failed his class. On purpose. I went from a straight A math major to an 'F' in one quarter. Even my mother wouldn't believe me when I told her about his conduct. In some ways, I'm very glad times have changed, and these kind of things are taken seriously.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

We too had one of those, a mentor of mine that was a coach. He pushed my girlfriend against a wall and kissed her. He made many such moves in our school to my sister and another I had personal contact with. He retired and now is my BIL father's best friend so I had to take him off to the side and tell him never talk to me or anyone I am with or all of our town will know his actions. He immediatly left and leaves whenever I am around. I have learned good boundaries in life experiences. Back then when it happened I had no idea what to do. I just told him to stay away from my girlfriend and that I no longer would participate in any sport he coached.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

First, Sof, you saw a lot more in that movie than I did. But - you may be right. Certainly I agree that the nun had not confessed her own sins and would have been far less harsh a judge if she had. On the other hand, it is called "Doubt" not "Secret Sin". I didn't see much suggestion of sin in her past. To me the source of her agony is self-doubt after having accused someone based only on a hunch and after having denied a young man the comfort of a decent relationship with a kindly older man. In a sense, the play says that one ought to tend to the "beam in thine own eye" instead of the "mote" in thy neighbor's eye -- if I remember the Bible correctly. At least that is what I get out of it.
The roses were no doubt some sort of symbol that I paid no attention to whatsoever. I don't even remember what they did to winterize the roses. I gather they wrapped them in burlap. I have heard of people doing that to roses in the far northerly climes, but frankly, I only just started trying to grow roses and have no idea whether wrapping them in burlap is good or bad for them. But theater folk like symbols so, I suspect you are right about the roses.

Wow. I think I missed out on a lot when I was in high school. I went to a girl's school and I know of any hint of teacher-student involvement. There was a scandal involving two girls in my class, one of whom was a pretty good friend of mine our freshman year. A new student came in our sophomore year whom I never got to know and pretty soon both my friend and the new girl were gone from my high school -- which was fairly glaring because there were only 36 of us to begin with. It was gossiped that the two girls were sexually involved with each other and furthermore that the new girl was also involved with my friend's father. I figure there was something going on because neither of the two girls were allowed back. I heard from the one who was a pretty good friend of mine about 10 years ago. She now has her Phd in sociology and had written 6 books in her field then and was still publishing. She teaches sociology at a small college in the Midwest. It seems the other girl in the supposed twosome is now a lawyer and will not write to or answer phone calls from my friend. No telling what that is all about, but I guess it is about something. I have the feeling that my friend may be gay even though she is married, just from a few things she wrote to me. She seems truly devastated that the "new girl" will not speak to her.

As for male teachers coming on to female students, I definitely was shocked to see that when I taught high school. At first I didn't believe it, but I later got evidence that one "dirty old man" math teacher was not only coming on to the female students but to at least one of the single young women I taught with. And I later heard of others doing the same. I found and still find that shocking and am appalled that they weren't run out of town on a rail. But I do think that in those days -- this was late 60's and early 70's men considered it their due to make advances at the young women and I am happy that such men can be fired and sued nowadays. The sad part is that two of these men were friends of my ex's family.

Santa Fe, NM

There is a ton of snow coming down all over the state according to the t.v. news and not one bit here! It's kind of amazing. I will have to see that movie now that I've heard so much about it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.