Diversions while we wait for the days to get Long Enough

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Lots of snow here...

Santa Fe, NM

We'll see what tomorrow brings!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

we have had snow (?) for 5 days and almost non-stop but there is only about1". They are giving it a new name here: Snow grains. Tiny little ice crystals.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

We have that here some, glad to know someone has named it, I always wonder if I should be calling it sleet but it is too dry for that, too small for hail, snow grains sounds about right.

we don't have any right now but it is predicted all week...... so down the road a bit they will get snow and we may, we may.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Dust devils here.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

It's gray and snowy here and has been for about a week. I sure hope the sun comes back soon because DH is in a serious funk with this gray weather. Mostly he's cranky because the packed snow and ice on the roads has been around for almost a month. I think that must be a record here.

I can't remember any teacher-student scandal in my high school. I think the rules of conduct were pretty well established by the time I was there. Of course, between the gang wars and bomb threats and shootings there were plenty of other things to worry about. I do remember one lazy calculus teacher who was always late to class and made us take turns teaching the lessons while he read the news paper. Maybe it was actually good for us though because I seem to remember things a lot better if I have to explain them to others than if I just hear them.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Oh, I almost forgot. My new table and chairs are on the truck and headed this way. They should be here some time next week. Woohoo!

Santa Fe, NM

Bright and sunny here with no new snow that I can see. Sometimes storms just skip over us. Sounds like Albuquerque got a lot. Congratulations on your new furniture, Katlian. I thought that grain snow was "snirt" but that is what we usually have in the spring. We still have plenty of ice on the ground here. I would've liked some snow while I'm still in the tai chi class vacation and don't have to go driving around at night. It is about 25 degrees here right now. Edited to say that we did get about half an inch of new snow. I just didn't notice it because there was already snow laying around!

This message was edited Dec 31, 2009 9:54 AM

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

At last the clouds have lifted here. We got about an inch of snow night before last and nothing much since. Still it freshened things up a bit. Roybird is right, lots of storms just skip over us -- perhaps that snow shadow that Jude was talking about.
Anyhow, the sun is out and that will do wonders for my mood. I was getting down with all the cold and gloom. Guess all these years of sunshine have spoiled me. I think it is gloom with cold that depresses me so. Sunny cold is okay and warm cloudy days are okay, but cold and gloom just really make me want to fly south like the birds.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Well, the snow has finally stopped here and it is a gorgeous bright and sunny day! I'd say we got about 6 inches with this most recent storm. I need to get out of the house today!!! Congrats opn your new table and chairs, Katlian... can't wait to see pics of it!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yes, congrats Kaitlin! Our new furniture isn't here yet. Part of it is in a warehouse in Santa Fe and they will deliver it all when the order is complete. We will be very busy then rewiring DH's entire electronic maze. Hope I will still be able to turn on the TV when he finishes. Honestly, he needs to create a schematic to tell me or anyone else how to turn on the TV, the radio and/or the DVD player.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

we got no snow. it's bright, sunny, all of 27.

there will be a blue moon tonight!

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Paj,
I'm familiar with the need for a diagram. Pushing buttons until something works usually just gets me in trouble. It's almost always something simple that I overlook too, like turning on the powerstrip that the tv is plugged into. I won't even touch the turntable. If I want to listen to a record that bad I just hand it to DH and he does it. It doesn't help that the darned thing is at least 6 feet off the floor. Even he has to stand on tip toes to see the top.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Microsnow? Nanosnow? Cold smoke?

Questioning authority is a sign of a healthy mind. It can also be good for your health if "they" want to inject you with something or put something in your drinking water.

Which brings us to Dr. Strangelove. The story is not quite as strange as reality, but it sure comes close. Snorkle.

Santa Fe, NM

New Years Eve and a Blue Moon! WooHoo! Perhaps I can get a picture of it. I just got some good information on the camera forum about how cold affects digital cameras and how to work with that.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Not only is it a blue moon, there is also going to be a partial eclipse (not sure where that is visible from). A very celestial day and night! Good idea for taking some pics, Roybird, I think I'll get the camera on the tripod and see what I can get as well.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I am headed up to Whitefish Mountain to Ski this evening and we have an inversion. Cold air sits in the valley and warm air above causes a mirror like effect where the mountains in the distance appear upside down. I have seen it many times but never with a camera. Tonight I have the camera. I hope the moon is in that area so I can see it on the ground and the upside down mountain above it. I love blue moons. Does anyone know when the moon arises?

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Here ya go... http://www.almanac.com/sun/rise/zipcode/59901/2009-12-31

I would love to see that effect in the mountains! Hopefully you can get some good pics!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Thank you. I have been talking too long on Facebook and DG to look it up. Won't get the moon under the mountains. Sunset too early moonrise too late. Also the moon is above the inversion. Opps.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

The eclipse will be visible in the eastern hemisphere but for them it will not be a blue moon because it will already be January. They will get one at the end of January though.

During a full moon the moon is on the far side of the earth from the sun so one rises as the other sets. DH did astronomy shows at the planetarium during college so I hear about this stuff all the time. Eventually some of it sticks.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

in re: "Of course this is all oversewn with the known history of the Priesthood of the Catholic church being filled with men who are gay, having sexual relations with many young men on recent news broadcasts."

I guess I should be thankful we don't get that news channel here. Or maybe it is PPV.

Alas, in my Jr HS and Sr HS it was much more difficult to find a competent teacher who was NOT messing aruond with students in some inappropriate way than otherwise. I have no nostalgia for those years at all.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I think I really lucked out in my high school teachers. It was a girl's school, but not a religious school. The teachers were mostly very dedicated to their subject matter, though I wasn't always as wish I had been. They used to joke that my high school was the only non-denominational convent school in New Orleans. That was just about the truth. It was a wonderful sheltered environment in which to learn, but later when I had guys around me all the time, I found myself very naive and unprepared. And I am still working on that one!
When I taught in the public schools, though, it was sad that some of those sexual predators weren't fired. I also knew some teachers who were physically abusive of the students we taught. I was shocked at how much they liked to use the paddle and worse on the boys. Nowadays, those teachers would be fired and sued and I think that is a good thing. The only trouble is that now schools have a very difficult time enforcing any sort of discipline at all and that doesn't work very well either. That is why I quit teaching -- that and the money. I think that, as a society, we don't value education very much and that is beginning to really hurt us. I would like to see us develop a greater respect for learning and not just making money.

As for tonight's blue moon, I learned that the Valles Caldera, a huge volcano crater here in the Jemez Mountains,(http://www.vallescaldera.gov/index.aspx). and which only recently came into public hands, will be having a New Year's cross country ski outing which will end up in a yurt with food and drink and fireworks at midnight. What a cool way to spend an evening! Some of our friends will do that, but DH and I have decided to curl up in front of a good movie with a bottle of Prosecco. We might not even stay awake until midnight -- depending on how good the movie is.

This has been a tough decade for this country and also for this town -- for this is the year we had the big fire and also many scandals at the laboratory where almost everybody in town works. We will be glad to welcome a new year and a new decade.

I wish all of you Rocky Mountain Forum members a wonderful new year and new decade! You have been so much fun to get to know.

Santa Fe, NM

I have never thought of myself as "sheltered" or naive but apparently I was in some ways. When I was a senior in H.S. I tried hard to seduce the younger brother of my history teacher. The brother was in college, probably at least (gasp) 7 years older than I was. A Really Old guy. I met with limited success and my teacher found out and was quite annoyed with me and with his brother. I think because we had met through him. Later, I found out that teacher was having an affair with a friend of mine! But, at the time I didn't even consider that could happen. The teacher's wife would quiz me about this friend and so on but I just thought she was being nosy! I was so self absorbed that there was only one lead female in my drama and that was Me! : )

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Thumbnail by DenverJude
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

That collage is beautiful, DenverJude! Happy New Year to all!

Santa Fe, NM

Pretty New Years collage, DJ! Happy New Year!

Thumbnail by roybird
Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Wow, nice shot, Roybird!! Did you get that shot tonight? Beautiful!

Santa Fe, NM

Tonight! It is colorized. Taken through my studio window after freezing my fingers off outside with a tripod and having an awful time with my other camera. I forgot the telephoto. What a mess. D.H. took this one.

Santa Fe, NM

OOOps! He took this picture here.

Thumbnail by roybird
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Looks like the star of Bethlehem.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Great pictures, Jude, roybird and Kevin! We are ringing in the new year with Santana! If that won't improve the new decade nothing will!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Happy New Year dear ones! Full moon too! Cool!

Santa Fe, NM

Sofer, that's what I thought, too. I hope that bodes well for the new year!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

When I woke up at 7:15 this morning to let the dogs the lovely full moon was just over the tops of the mountains as seen from my bedroom windows. It was a magnificent sight.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Another beautiful pic! I didn't get any shots because it was too dang cold to go outside and set up the camera, but when I was walking the dogs that moon was right overhead and it had a beautiful halo all around it.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I missed the full moon. Big front came over the valley and clouded it in with light snow. Last night before the moon rose it was clear up on the ski area and the stars were beautiful. But the artic mass was pushed out by the warm front from Hawaii. We sit in an area that all winter the north winds meet the south winds, kind of interesting because it used to dump a lot of snow. Now it just changes temps because all you guys down south are stealing the moisture out of it when it gets here it is just cloud cover.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Not down here in the South. Maybe in Mississippi. Our rainfall has been average to dry for the last couple of decades.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

The Jet Stream (moisture from the gulf of AK) has been going south for the last 7 years during the winter. And the mountains east of LA and Sacramento get the dump. It also is going east to Colorado.

Santa Fe, NM

Our snowfall and rain have been well below average in Santa Fe. Albuquerque is getting it all! This winter so far the mountains in Southern New Mexico have gotten a lot of snow. We had our New Years feast today! D.H. cooked almost all day while I did laundry and worked on paintings. It was great. We had the vegetarian gumbo, hoppin' john and sweet potato corn bread. Ate around 3:30 and listened to a blues show on the radio. We were very happy with the way the food came out. The vegetarian gumbo has about 8 cups of greens in it; very healthy, lots of spices. The painting went fairly well. One keeper out of 4. Started a series (maybe) of wild flower paintings. It takes me a long time to loosen up enough to approach what I think of as "good". Need to paint more! Tomorrow my gym rat friend is going walking with me. We usually walk all day, but just in town. She is so funny, hates to get her shoes dirty so not a trail walker! Just as well since every trail is icy now.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Sounds fabulous, Roybird!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.