Diversions while we wait for the days to get Long Enough

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

It does sound fabulous!

Santa Fe, NM

Wish you'd been here to eat it with us! D.H. cooked enough to feed 8 people. We'll take some over to his parents tomorrow.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

That sounds yummy roybird. How do you get sweet potatoes into cornbread? We kept ourselves busy with household projects all day and didn't feel like cooking so we had leftovers for lunch and leftover sandwiches for dinner.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Looking at so many places it's all a blur. Looking at one place in Gold Canyon today then going on a walkabout in the desert.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone, and Happy Late one day New Year. Didn't get to see the Blue Moon, We have had clouds and snow past few days. Got 4 inches new snow, but quite warm and a rainy sprinkle has it down to3 or less inches. Roads here very slick, and not plowed, due to lack of funds, so I am not venturing out.

Here is a picture from last winter, so far this year the wind has blown the snow off the trees.

Donna

Thumbnail by rutholive
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

The photo was of a fairly large Parrotia persica with hoar frost.

Donna

Santa Fe, NM

Nice to hear from you, Donna! Dahlia, can't wait to hear all about your trip. Katlian, the sweet potatoes are mashed up and put in the cornbread batter. I posted the recipe on the corn bread thread in the recipe forum. I'm getting ready to go on a walk today and get some exercise!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Happy New Year my dear friend Donna. I have missed you. Hey does you Parrotia turn the beautiful colors that I have seen in the ones in Seattle? Mine doesn't it seems to just stay green until the frost kills the leaf. See picture below

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

must. get. parrotia.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Thinking the same, greenjay. Donna, that parrotia is stunning Unfortunately, I already have too many trees. Thinning is more in order than acquiring new ones for me.
As usual, roybird, I admire your choice of DH. What fabulous fare. Do you have his vegetarian gumbo recipe? I would love to try it. If it is from a book, I would love to know which one -- I may very well have it. That would be gumbo z' herbes where I come from. It is eaten for the New Year and especially for Lent.
I made a black-bean salad from the New York Times. I put feta cheese on DH's. For greens we had spinach stir fried with garlic. Today I will make a cabbage salad because black eyed peas and cabbage are traditional for New Years in New Orleans. It is a good excuse to eat cabbage which I crave.
We are working on rearranging hour house and throwing things away and trying to sort through the mountain of stuff at MIL's house. But I am making DH take breaks and go to movies, too. We both need rewards after all this heavy work.
I am tired of winter. Have I said that before? Oh well. It is a good time to go to the movies. Even the dogs just take breaks to go outdoors and romp around then come back in to sleep on the carpet. They may be part husky but they aren't that fond of the cold.

This message was edited Jan 2, 2010 1:05 PM

Santa Fe, NM

Paja, it is exactly gumbo z' herbes, eaten at Lent. The recipe he used was from " I Hear America Cooking " by Betty Fussell. It is one of his favorite cook books. It came out in 1986. Has regional recipes "from Alaska to Florida". It is a fun one to read because it has history and stories along with the recipes. It was quite pleasant out today and probably walked a couple of miles and enjoyed catching up with my friend. The day has gone very quickly.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

PJ, how very fine to bring in the new year with Santana! I'm sorry to hear it's been a scandalous year at Los Alamos lab, where the quarkiest brains of the nation work.

Let us know who you meet on your walkabout, Dahlia.

I danced the new year in, but ran out of steam before midnight, which is not hardly surprising. It was a tango party, but what steamed up all the windows was merengue.

Yesterday we hit the hot springs at Boulder (Montana). I was up on the divide for a noontime ski today, and have been snoozing ever since.

Thumbnail by picante
Santa Fe, NM

Awww. So cute!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

I confess that although the dogs take up altogether too much room on the bed, that I still love having them there, as well as my loving DH.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Luvly, luvly tree Donna. Alas I too have no more room for biguns :( Picante that pic looks like you two were having a delicious nap. I did not get on my walkabout as of course there was one MORE area we had to look at. Apparently 'a potential garden with a house' is not as usual as 'a house where you might be able to jam in a garden'. I did (O JOY!) get to the Desert River Audabon Society session where I got wonderful help picking a new field guide to NA birds which I can tote on my walkabouts so I can ID all the luvly birds here. They have bird walks twice a month. I'm SO joining if we end up in this area (which with the plethora of golf courses seems likely according to DH).

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Hi Everyone, good thread. I would like to go for a walkabout, but until last couple of days was too cold, then we got wet snow. But at least above freezing even at night.

Steve my Parrotia gets nice color, but not the whole tree just some branches. this fall very bad for color all up and down the Okanogan valley from the very cold early freeze, 12 degrees, mid Oct, for three nights. How was your ski trip?

paj, I made a really tasty black bean , blackeyed peas, lots onion, and garlic, supposed to have bacon or sausge and tomatoes, but made it without. It has been a year now since started with Dr. Esselstynes whole veg. and fruit diet, I don't follow quite as closely as i should, but my health is better so I am happy.

For a few people who requested them in our Balance and Strenghtening exercise classes at Senior Center, which is free because led by volunteers, there were walking poles available. I got two of them but has been either too cold or snowy ever since so haven't used them.

I guess today is the day to start putting Christmas decorations away. Had company until yesterday. So better get busy.

Maybe I can find a good picture to send along.

Donna

Thumbnail by rutholive
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Actually that snowy scene is from my front yard taken a year ago. Donna

Santa Fe, NM

Beautiful snow scene, Donna! One thing that helps me get out when it is cold are my silk long johns. Got another set for Christmas. They really help with added insulation and almost no weight. I'm going to be out again today as it is fairly warm now, getting up to 40 for a high. We are supposed to have another "Arctic Blast" for late next week. Dahlia, the birding in southern Arizona is excellent! Hurry up and get a place down there so I can come visit you!

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Sending mental images of garden space with house included, L&L Dahlianut signing purchase papers. Despite the fact that Arizona is a long ways from here, and Calgary is close.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Oh, Dahlia, it would be wonderful if you found a house with a garden in AZ. You will love it and you might find you have visitors from New Mexico. I love Arizona especially in its spring which is way earlier than our spring. That way I can have two springs. I once went to AZ in the spring to see the cactus bloom. An entire trip for that purpose with a female friend and her 2 year old. It was great fun.
Donna, I am very proud of you for going on a truly healthy diet. I have done the same. It has helped me a lot, too. I do go off from time to time -- like when I am on trips or out to dinner with friends because it is hard to get vegan food in many restaurants. And I am re-learning cooking without meat and dairy. At first I hated it. But I am getting better at it. Your black bean and black-eyed pea recipe sounds great.
Thanks for the cookbook reference, roybird. I may have to order it if it is one of your DH's favorites. Most cookbooks, especially oldies are available cheap at bookfinder.com. Most of my huge cookbook collection came from there.
Picante,
This year was not very scandalous at LANL it was this decade that was scandalous. We still have many quirky brains here, but some of the security and dumb administrative measures have driven away some very fine minds. These scandals were mostly political, not even real -- I refer to the Wen Ho Lee spy case. But there was a terrible case of embezzlement which gave us a black eye and was due solely to high level administrators refusing to stop the thievery of one of the "good ole' boys". Since Bechtel took over, the scandals have stopped but the stupid rules that drive great minds away have increased. My DH grits his teeth and continues with his work which he is in love with. It is unclassified but too complicated for most people to understand and too boring for almost everyone else. As a former programmer, I can follow what he talks about, but the issues are pretty technical in the field of computer science. Every now and then he gets to implement a little new physics -- but yearns for more of that kind of opportunity.
I have convinced DH to use his fabulous sound system more -- especially when I am cooking. It is nice to boogie while you cook. It seems like over the years he forgot to put music on. A delight of the new year is that I asked him to play more music and he thought it was a terrific idea and has continued to do so.
I am afraid I cannot walk very much anymore. I love walking around but I have neuropathy in my feet and right now even water aerobics causes me pain in feet and back. But I haven't given up. I am going to have some steroid injections in my lumbar spine and if that doesn't work there is a method of strengthening tendons in the back practiced by some doctors of oriental medicine, but which is recommended by my neurologist and by the Mayo Clinic which I plan to try. It is not covered by insurance and costs a fortune but I plan to try it anyhow if the steroids don't work. I have not given up on getting over this.
Now that DH no longer has to worry about his mother he has got a bad case of the travel bug. Looks like we will be going to Japan in October 2010 and he is looking at books on Bali and India -- two of the places I have been dying to see. Those won't be in 2010 and perhaps not in 2011.
Since my MIL's passing we have realized we need to start seeing our must-see places before we are too old. My MIL adored the trip we took her on to Guatemala and Costa Rica and the cruise to Alaska she took, but basically she would have have enjoyed life a lot more if she had traveled more.

Santa Fe, NM

I'm sorry your feet are bothering you so much, Paja. Are you still seeing the acupuncturist? I'm glad you will be enjoying travel more. D.H. and I talked about cook books this morning. The one I mentioned is a favorite, then he has a pastry cook book he loves. And Kenneth Lo "Chinese food on Next to Nothing" or something like that and "Joy of Cooking " are his top fav's. I would add Diana Kennedy "Cuisines of Mexico" and "Chez Pannise Vegetables" by Alice Waters. Excuse my French, please! We are planning a car trip to visit my Florida relatives in the spring. Probably late March to mid-April. Maybe my niece will come back with us to visit for awhile! She is about 25 years old and very wonderful!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I have already ordered the one you mentioned earlier. Got it for $3.95 on Bookfinder.com -- in hardback yet. Should look up the Kenneth Lo one. I have a lot of Chinese cookbooks but not that one. I definitely have Joy of Cooking, Chez Pannisse Vegetables and Cuisines of Mexico. They are among my favorites as well.
Spring will be a beautiful time to drive across the South. It will be starting to bloom like fury in the last part of March and will continue to do so in April. I bet you will have a great trip. Let me know when you know where you plan to stop along the way. I might know some sites or restaurants in some of those places.

No, I quit seen the acupuncturist. It just wasn't helping much. It felt really good at the time, but in a short while the pain was back -- that was on wrists and shoulders. It didn't help neuropathy at all. I am afraid I am stuck with serious drugs surgery and some new treatment from the DOM if none of that works. They aren't encouraging about anything helping the neuropathy. It may just be a worn out nervous system. I think I am going to give up wine for a month to see if that helps. That will not be easy for me, but I have to do the experiment before they start hacking.

This message was edited Jan 3, 2010 6:53 PM

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Isn't the DOM an acupuncturist? I thought that's what they're called in NM.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Wow, everyone is so busy. Paj, sorry you are having such health problems. But it is indeed great to clear clutter and debris from the home. I am still working on the basement, slowed down lately while I have not been feeling good, but it is still moving forward. Sounds you and your DH are making some positive changes based on your experience with your MIL passing.

Roybird, post some pics of your new paintings sometime???

Dahlia, I loved living in Arizona before it got too crowded and smogged in the Valley of the Sun. I think you will greatly enjoy the area where you are looking for property.

Donna, glad you have found something that is working for you. You are a great inspiration for us all.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

MULCH so happy to see you ^_^ We were worried when we didn't hear from you for awhile. Today or maybe tomorrow we are going to see lonediver in Maricopa. You may recall his thread: he made his own mountain AND built an owl habitat! I can't wait to see it live!!!

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Mulch and paj, I hope you both feel much better in 2010. I think the balance exercise classes are helping with my balance . When I went to see my doctor that did my second set of hip joint spike replacements in 1994 & 5, for a checkup last summer, he said I was good for 14 more years if I didn't do something foolish like fall and break a bone in femur. So that is one reason I started with the balance exercises. They are Mon, Wed, and Thur. at the Senior Center, which are the days the Center is open. I will miss today as it is the first day of our bridge tournament in Oroville, 20 miles, and they want us to be there early today. It lasts for 5 Mon. beginning today.

dahlia, tell us more about Maricopa lonediver, and some pictures if possible, after you return. I faintly remember his thread.

Donna

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

DOM here is more than an acupuncturist, but doesn't exclude acupuncture. DOMs here do a lot of herbal medicine and acupuncture, but this guy does something that begins with a P and is a treatment I don't remember the name of. Will be looking into it if the treatment by the pain clinic here doesn't work. I will try to find out and let you know what it is that he does. It is something my neurologist had done on himself -- which certainly is the proof that it is a good thing.
My neurologist says that western medicine doesn't have much to offer elders with common degenerative disease but oriental medicine has more. He did tell me that acupuncture didn't work on his neuropathy either. He says the only way to control it is with drugs. I am delighted to have a neurologist who is well grounded in western medicine but knowledgeable about oriental medicine.
Donna, my health is actually excellent except for arthritis and carpal tunnel syndrome. No flu or colds or anything except this miserable pain in feet, neck and lower spine.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

here is the link to lonediver's mountain and habitat. Everso cool http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/935858/

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Here LAc (Licensed Acupuncturist) = DOM (DOM is just what NM calls their licensees, they don't need a doctorate, just NCCAOM certification and a masters degree in TCM - just like here).

In Florida licensees are called AP (Acupuncture Physician). A few states also require licensees to pass a state exam (NM does this) but it's not as difficult as the NCCAOM exam which is still a requirement (everywhere but CA - NCCAOM is the required cert exam in all of north america, central america, asia, australia, NZ, most of south america, europe and africa, but CA won't recognize it). Every state (that has licensing requirements, which is all but a handful) has a slightly different designation, but I think LAc is the most common.

Santa Fe, NM

I'm excited for you go on that visit, Dahlia! I have seen his thread before. I wonder if you will see any of the owls! Mulch, thanks for asking, I will post some pictures of new paintings when I take them. I'm still working on one. They are not perfect but as I get back in to painting I imagine they will improve; not these in particular - future ones. Water color just kills me. And I love it! Back to Tai Chi classes tonight. This is one where I assist, so I'd better practice! Donna, Tai chi and chi gong can be taught as balance exercises. They always have that aspect, anyway. Many tai chi and chi gong students are older people. At 56 I am " in the middle " of the age group we seem to have in classes. Practically everyone who lives beyond 30 has some sort of degenerative condition caused by normal use and abuse. Balance exercise is very helpful in dealing with aging.

Santa Fe, NM

That's interesting, DJ. When Eastern medicine was just getting popular here it seemed totally un-regulated and there are still some very interesting and imaginative practices here, I'm sure. l.o.l. Tai chi and Chi Gong have no licensing procedures or standards. It is totally based on how much your teacher knows, or cares to impart. I have seen some teachers who don't seem to have any understanding of physical alignments and I can only hope the students will not continue those practices when their knees collapse. Clearly, that would be a signal to re-assess the situation. But many people ignore what their bodies tell them and continue doing whatever is habitual.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Happy New Year all! Zerbeebee and I are back from California. Winter is different in CA. We spent New Years day at the beach exploring the tidepools. A little too cold to go swimming in the ocean, but a nice day for exploring. Lots of starfish and hermit crabs.

Dahlianut, contratulations on finding some Roadrunners and making a friend. I figured you'd find some.

Return home to find one of my Lithops in bloom.

Thumbnail by dparsons01
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Welcome home Dave-who-is-Dave and Zerbeebee ^_^ Luv lithops. They look asteroidal botanicals.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

I think they would survive on an Asteroid.

Gastonia, NC(Zone 7b)

Howdy Mulch, I been thinking of you too, and Dave welcome back, I am running today trying to catch stuff up but, Dahlianut, about to send you dmail about potential retirement palace in AZ I happened to hear of, ciao all til next.......

Santa Fe, NM

Hi, Dave! Glad you made it back. Tide pools are so fun. Nice little Lithops! I had one that bloomed and then I killed it somehow! They do look asteroidal.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

They are unusual plants. I bought 3 and was given a 4th. 2 died, the other 2 are happy. They all got the same soil, same pots, same watering, same window. Don't know enough about the differences from species to species to know if and what to change. The Nursery doesn't know either.

Santa Fe, NM

Maybe they just have a certain life span and that's it! I meant to comment before that skin absorbed B-12 would be great. No one has ever suggested to me that I try such a thing so I wonder if it exists. I'll have to google it. Wonder about cost, too.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Congratulations on the lithops bloom, dparsons! I have had one for several years and no sign of a bloom ever. When I bought some more last year, the seller told me to water them only on the solstices.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Welcome home, dparsons and Zerbeebee. I knew you were out there enjoying the weather.
In my opinion, it is always too cold to swim off the coast of CA. That Humboldt Current is cold! I like San Diego for sea life, the wonders of the city and kayaking which doesn't require so much contact with the water!
Your lithops is lovely! I have grown some from seed in distant past. They can live a log time, but one must not overwater them. I put mine outside in New Orleans and they croaked. What more can I say?
I bet it is tough coming home to the cold -- arctic cold predicted by Wednesday.
DH and I are both regretting being in New Mexico at this time of the year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.