Just wondering how many gift DR seeds have germinated

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Over the past 1/2 year I've given hundreds of seeds to different people on my treads from different parts of our country and even other countries and I've become curious to know how many have germinated for them and if they have followed my instructions to the letter in doing so.

Just need to know how many and yes or no.
example:
6 seeds germinated and yes follow instruction on planting the seeds.
or
3 seeds germinated and no didn't follow the instruction when planting the seeds.

Also would like to know if you didn't use my method in planting DR seeds but still had success in germinating them, how you did it.

Your Friend Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP
Huffman, TX(Zone 9a)

WQP I just got home from vacation and your seeds were waiting for me I will plant them today its cold here and not perfect for seed planting I have a room with a good heater I will start them in. Thank you again for your generosity I am going to do them according to your instructions,,,,,,,,,,,,,........Ron

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Looks like no one seeds germinated using my method, well that miens my method has failed for the rest of the people in the tread or forum in planting seeds my way. Will not recommend something that doesn't work to anyone else. Anyway, bottom line, hope they germinated using whatever miens it took to germinate them, as long as they germinated for you, that perfect.

BTW, my membership end January 2, 2010, I may not renew it, still thinking about it for a while, so if I don't, I wish you all a Very Very Happy New Years and may all your wishes come true for you this comming year, may God bless you all

To All, Take Care,
Your Friend Wilfred

PS. to all those who I have promised sending you something like seeds or something else, don't worry, have your mailing address in my DG address book and I will wash the forum for what time remains of my membership.

"Your Friend Wilfred"

Thumbnail by WQP
Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Wilfred, I planted my seeds using your method. About 10 I think. All germinated, though one aborted at about 2 weeks post-germination. I still have 9 of them in 2 pots. I will seperate them out before too long.

Thanks for all the advice, and I really hope you hang around :)

Jennifer

North Port, FL(Zone 9b)

WILFRED!!!!! You can't go now....I've just found you and all your knowledge on growing DR's is astounding. Please, please, please stay. I know many people follow your advice.

Wishing you and your family a wonderful and prosperous New Year.....Annette.

Huffman, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes I just planted the seeds you sent me if you don't renew how can I keep you updated on my success ( I hope )...........Ron

Christiansted, VI(Zone 11)

Hey! I know it must be discouraging for you here.

I haven't been checking the Caudiciforms forum, I've just clicked the threads that show up at the top, so I missed your post., this post.

Hum, I followed your directions, but the pot was trying to be in the sun on my deck, and it rained just about every day! too wet!! The few that did germinate are doing fine, one giant, and others coming along.

This seemed to be a difficult Christmas for many. Next year will be different, better!

OK, to go take photos, Sekoia is showing some pink buds!! ...Oh, hum, the photo shows the leaves to be blotchy! too wet, too dry?

Thumbnail by Molamola

And the photo above looks more red, now that I'm slowing down a bit...

messy me in my messy house! I'd rather be outside!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=924782&id=1265315615

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

WILFRED you cannot leave, you have too many friends, and followers in here, you know you can still post even if you are not a paying member,anyway answer my email, PLEASE.

Doris

Somebody beat me to it. Wilfred, you're paid up to Jan 1, 2011. I was going to chip in, but it's already been done.

You're stuck with us!!

Do not leave, we love you!

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Please be patient, sorry to have caused so much worry, I'm kinda depress for many reasons for now but probably will get through it soon like I've done many times before, will get back to you hopefully this night or tomorrow, right now have to go to work at the USPS at 1:00pm.

Jennifer, Annette, Ron, Melissa, Jamie and Doris, thank you very much for your kind word, will get back to you after I come from work, have to go now, till later.

BTW, don't have recent DR photos, rain ruined all the blooms for now so I'm positing some of my other photos from the other thread I have been in also, hope you don't mien, just liked to make tread a little more colorful even though they are not DRs.

Take Care and Happy New Year,
Your Friend Wilfred

My second favorite hib. seedling I created by cross pollination, "Neon Morning"

Thumbnail by WQP
Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Wilfred I never received any of your seeds, if I had I sure would have let you know how they were doing, someone beat me to your renewel so you can't leave us. BIG GRIN

Doris

Christmas and New Years is depressing for many of us. Those with children and grand children get caught up in their families, and the singles amongst us are quiet, and don't want to bother the happy ones with the loneliness of the season when there's no one to share it with.

And that was a nasty bit of rain!!! I didn't get as much as you did, Wilfred. I'm sad that your flowers suffered.

And I'll post something colorful, some of my Coleus! No blooms on my DRs right now. I enjoy the sunshine glowing through the leaves.

Thumbnail by Molamola
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Wilfred, I figure I've kept you up to date on my seedlings that I got from you, I follow your instructions to the letter; I can't express strongly enough how much I appreciate all that you share. I hope that your just having a passing bout of melancholy, and that soon you will be feeling better. You are very much needed, please stay around. ^_^ Jim

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I, for one, would miss you very much if you were no longer looking after us and our adeniums. Please reconsider, Wilfred. You are irreplaceable.

Sylvain.

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Oh, by the way, when I say I followed your instructions; I mean that I followed what I thought you were telling us to do, I'v made some mistakes, like useing the wrong type of soil (at first I used a wet clumpy seedling soil) also, I didn't know that birds ate desert rose seedling like they did in my first batch! You've always been encourageing even when I made dumb mistakes. I can honestly say that any success I may have in the future with any of my D.R. is entirely due to what you have taught , so you better just hang in here and stay with us, what would we do withour you? I for one would give up and just tend my crab grass and weeds, with witch I do not need any instruction to grow. Jim

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

Wilfred,

I followed your instructions too. I potted them all up into individual pots tonight. I've been really busy here because I moved and I'm unpacking and the holidays...It's been crazy. I'll post photos tomorrow.

Thanks,
Clint

Easton, PA(Zone 6b)

I tried your method on seeds from a swap. I was so thankful to find this group and the instructions. I couldn't tell what end of the seed was up! They have only been in the pot a couple of days. They are near a window under a light. It is a compact fluorescent. I gently peeked under the dirt. The seed was swelling, but not sprouting, yet. Think it just needs more time.

I am glad that you are staying. I just found you! I am looking forward to asking you questions on my baby adeniums (adenia?) should they decide to enter the world.

I get a bit depressed around the holidays also. I am certain working at the USPS around the holidays can be stressful as well. Try to find a little time to take a walk in the sunshine. It lifts your mood and gets your vitamin D active.

Palmetto Point, Bahamas

Wilfred, please stick with us. We are your family, and we need you! Do you know how many people you have influenced and how many beautiful DR's are around because of you, your knowledge and your generosity in sharing your seeds as well as your expertise? I, too, have been through bouts of debilitating depression in my life. Unless you've been through it, it's hard to understand how it paralyzes you mentally.

You sent me some lovely cuttings and DR seeds. I put the cuttings in soil or water yesterday to root, and today I'm putting out the seeds. I'll let you know how they do.
From my previous batch of seeds, purchased on eBay before I joined this forum, I used your suggestions, planted about 40 and had 30 germinate. They're cute as can be, now about 2 months old. I'll send photos soon.

OK, a question for the forum: This winter has been especially cold, even for those of us in tropical locales. At what temperature should seedlings be brought inside? Any special concerns for our mature DRs if the temps drop into the 50s at night?

Thank you all.

Huffman, TX(Zone 9a)

Wilfred I started the seeds you sent me like you said I used some smaller pots because thats what I had they were good clean new pots but so far nothing, all I can think is the temp here has been so cold I have them in a room with a heater but when it gets down to 20 F we are not set up for this kind of cold. I check them twice a day and keep them moist hopefully they will pop up soon....RON

Mooshkadoo, water very bad for rooting! Take them out right away, and let them sit dry for a few days. DRs are succulents that want to slurp up all the water they can, they drink so much that their cells become bloated, break, and rot sets in. boooo. In a few days, , Monday or Tuesday, there's a good time to plant. (new, waxing Moon in Pices) Plant half seeds today as planned, if you wish, and plant other half Tuesday and see if any difference. Dark of the moon right now, bad for planting seeds.

Fifty degrees is low, tho it might be better to not move them around a whole lot. We'll have to see how our Florida friends did with theirs planted outside with the dreadful cold they've had.

We want photos!!! cute photos! Cannot get enough photos here!

Thumbnail by Molamola
Huffman, TX(Zone 9a)

ok as ususal I didn't remember all of the instructions he did say water only once after I will let them dry out and see what happens thank you....

Go to that thread in Caudiciforms and re-read. Photo of a row of seed pods.

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Quote from Molamola :
In a few days, , Monday or Tuesday, there's a good time to plant. (new, waxing Moon in Pices) Plant half seeds today as planned, if you wish, and plant other half Tuesday and see if any difference. Dark of the moon right now, bad for planting seeds.

Hmmm, that's interesting. Can you explain this a little further?

Umm, people have been gardening by the Moon's position and sign for thousands of years.

Once when I was a child, my father pointed at four rows of bush beans. He said, "I told your uncle( a truck gardener) that I was going to plant my beans, and he said, no, wait til the end of next week"

"Look at those plants!", Daddy said, "I went ahead and planted two rows when I'd planned, and then, just to see, I planted the other two rows when your uncle said to." The first two rows were big and green and bushy, and had a very few beans. The other two rows, although a week and a half younger, were loaded with beans.

I cannot explain Mother Nature. But I do follow her ways and wisdom.

Wilfred gardens by the moon, also.

Here's a place to start, and has a good calendar. http://www.almanac.com/gardening

And here's a list of activities and dates.

http://www.almanac.com/bestdays/timetable

The weaning animals worked for me! Two baby goats cried and cried when taken away from their Mama. I looked, and said two weeks from now is when this says to wean. When the time came, the goatlets didn't peep, didn't mind at all being away from their Mama. Astounded everyone, but me...

Huffman, TX(Zone 9a)

I did reread it and seen where i made my mistake hopefully the seeds will be ok I'll let them dry out.I don't know if it would be a good idea to take them out of the soil that they are allready in. I have just sprayed a little water (mist) on the surface so it should dry out pretty fast.Plus right now the room they are in is very hot I leave the heater going on high all day so at night when it cools off it will stay warmer.

These plants should not be so tricky!! I don't know if I'm going to try pollinating. But having said that, I'll be out there struggling with a little paintbrush, haha.

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Melissa, this S.Floridian can tell you that my desert rose in the ground came through our recent cold snap beautifully, my seedlings I brought in the house and only took them outside when the temp was at 60 or higher, 95% of the seedlings are doing OK. Jim

Good to hear that Jim!

Thumbnail by Molamola
Easton, PA(Zone 6b)

Thank you Wilfred for the seeds. I just got them today and sowed them right away in moistened seed starting mix. I started some in a starter tray to share with people at a swap next week. I will let you know when they germinate.

Huffman, TX(Zone 9a)

Ok Wilfred I have one tiny little DR poking its head out of the soil so all is not lost I quit watering it and I'm checking them everyday I am sure there will be more. I feel like I just got a new puppy Thanks again your a good friend.

Orangeburg, SC

Wilfred, like some of the others, I too missed your posting. I thought I was watching this forum. Here's my report: I sowed 20 seeds in a hanging basket using your method and 20 germinated. I didn't expect so many. They are in an east window and get lots of morning sun. I'm so glad I found your postings. I printed the instructions to review from time to time. Once I learn to upload photos, I'll post some. I can't wait for spring so that I can place them outdoors to soak up plenty of sunlight and grow bigger. Thanks for being there for us and for your generosity. Please keep the pictures coming. They are so inspiring. And I'm so glad we didn't lose you.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

OK Wilfred NO SEEDS from you yet *S*

Doris

Easton, PA(Zone 6b)

My seeds haven't germinated, yet. I added another light and a heat pad. It has been cold here, my heat is set a 65'F. I assume the seeds want it a bit warmer. I am keeping them moist with light misting.

Arlington, TX

Sowed all the seeds a little over a week ago, none poking up so far. They are under UV lights all day and the temp. is around 74. Still hopeful and looking for signs of life.
C

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

I use the "Paper Towel Method" from time to time to give the seed babies a little jumpstart. If you're not familiar hereare the instructions:

You will need - Ziploc baggie, paper towel, water, seeds.

wet the paper towel an fold it twice (square)
line the seeds up on the paper towel
fold the towel over
place the paper towel in the baggie seal the bag halfway (or the whole way and poke a hole in it)
place the baggie under a light, I have a lamp that stays on and I put them there
check them after 2-3 days, an don't let the bag dry out
my DRs germinate in about 3 days

After this, put them in a good potting mix and over them very lightly with soil. You should be able to tell the root end from the top end. Try to put the root end down. Voila!

Easton, PA(Zone 6b)

I have used the "paper towel method" for morning glories and datura. I didn't think of using it for the adenium. I used Winfred's hanging basket method. I am hopeful that they just need a bit more time/heat/light.

Easton, PA(Zone 6b)

I see my first tiny-iny sprout. Very exciting!!!

I'll be back again with updates.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Recieved my seeds from Wilfred, and they are planted, now it's the "wait and see "

Doris

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.