New Years Resolutions?

Santa Fe, NM

It's getting to be that time again. New Years resolutions! Good intentions. And y'all know what That leads to. Still. A friend of mine said that what you do on the first day of a new year will determine the general course of the rest of the year! If that's true, we need to think about what we would like to be doing. Any good ideas? I'm thinking painting and/or taking pictures. Getting outdoors for awhile. Practicing tai chi....

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

I will be making ham and lentil soup. Though you are very inspiring, Roybird! I actually hope to be working. Or skiing. Or just relaxing with my DH and welcoming 2010.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

DH and I have one resolution for both of us: no more trips to the hospital, ER, or UrgentCare. If we can manage it we'll have a much happier and less expensive year.

I would like to get outside tomorrow but there is a big storm headed this way so we might hide inside and go out on Saturday instead.

Santa Fe, NM

We are going to try a new recipe tonight for a vegetarian gumbo using various greens. I'm not sure how good it will be but it sounds quite healthy and will go well with hoppin' john ( black-eyed peas and rice ) and cornbread. Brenda, if you are working you'll make great tips! The big storm missed us, sun is shining. Katlian, I like your resolution. Good idea! We don't want any more major house expenses in the new year.
No roofing.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Golfing tomorrow. Wonder what that means karmalifikly? My resolution is to never grow up. That is always my resolution though.

Santa Fe, NM

Not many resolutions here. You all are probably smart. Today I did start a new series of water color paintings, so there! D.H. cooked a fabulous meal which I have mentioned on our diversions thread. I did do some photography last night but none today. I printed some today to paint from. More for inspiration than as a grid or something. Listened to music all day, too. Golfing, Dahlia, means that during the new year you and your D.H. will enjoy playing outside more! How about that?

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I started my resolution in November to stop using alcohol. I had gotten to drinking every day and in early November I said enough. My dad was alcoholic and died that way. I knew where it would go so I went to AA and their stories scared me enough to keep working at it. Yes it was a bummer on New years but not that bad. I went skiing anyway. Had fun with everyone else with my Amber Odouls. Good luck to all with their resolutions.

Santa Fe, NM

That was a real resolution and a good one, Sofer. My mother was an alcoholic and although she had quit drinking for several years it certainly contributed to health problems that lead to her death. Caliber is a pretty good non-alcoholic beer. I'm trying to cut back on caffeine and sugar. Two of my favorite food groups. I think we'll do fine.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

We just got done watching King Corn and we will probably be more diligent about buying local grass fed beef and lamb this year. We already avoid sodas and fast food but getting the meat means driving to Reno so we have been pretty lazy about it.

Good luck Sofer, that can be a tough one to kick. My dad has been sober for 30 years but it took going blind for almost a week to scare him into not drinking any more. Just don't end up like him, drinking a dozen cherry cokes a day instead. :P

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Hang in Sof! You should be poofing with pride about your resolution!

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Yes, good luck Soferdig! It is good to do things that make us feel better, physically, mentally, spiritually and emotionally.

Santa Fe, NM

Katlian, that is a good resolution about the food. We try to be almost totally organic, local, etc. Sometimes it is quite a task. I would like to be more vegetarian but have to confess I am a carnivore and not overly fond of most grain-based foods other than rice.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

Since we still have a freezer full of the local grassfed beef we bought last yr, vegetarianism is not in the cards. My resolution is to fill the backyard with vegetables and roses. And eat the vegetables!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Humans being omnivores have the choice of food source. I being diabetic need to fill my stomach with a protein that takes lots of energy to digest or it becomes instant glucose in my blood. Soy doesn't take much to digest. Admittedly vegetables are a major food source for filling my belly. They go well with the massive fish, and chicken and little red meat I eat.

Santa Fe, NM

I have a condition called "pernicious anemia" which is caused by the lack of a stomach enzyme called "intrinsic factor". I can't process B-12 orally. I have to have a shot once a month, ouch! Before I started with the B-12 shots about 6 years ago, I used to crave red meat Big Time! I thought I might be a vampire but it was my body telling me I needed B-12! Now, I still like red meat, especially grass fed local beef. But, I don't crave it the way I did. I used to get very tired, too. It has made a huge difference in my "quality of life". My mother had pernicious anemia, too, but was not diagnosed until she was much older. An interesting condition. Because it is a vitamin deficiency my insurance doesn't cover the treatment even though it is a physiological thing and not from malnutrition or vegetarianism. Fortunately, the shots are inexpensive.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

I have to take b vitamin supplements every day because of a malabsorbtion problem. Otherwise my hair falls out. Eating meat doesn't seem to make any difference, alas.

Santa Fe, NM

In my case B-12 vitamin supplements taken orally are useless. Just like eating red meat for B-12. My stomach can't absorb them. Have you ever had your B-12 levels tested? It is a simple blood test. The stomach thing was some kind of test where I had to be drugged and swallow a camera. Endoscopy? I was so tired I was falling asleep any time I could lie down for a minute. I thought I might have narcolepsy besides being a vampire! The nurse practitioner who originally suspected anemia said she had never seen B-12 levels that low. Of course, she may not have seen many at all. I'm always somewhat skeptical. Then the gastroenterologist confirmed the diagnosis. Anyway, if the oral supplements are working for you that's good because you don't have pernicious anemia!

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

I generally do my intentions for the coming year around solstice time. Unsurprisingly, several of mine deal with health. I expect to be in far better condition in a year!

Sof, that was a wise and aware decision and I wish you well with it. My grandfather was alcoholic and the effects were pretty devastating on the family. I also seem to have a number of friends who stopped drinking, to their benefit. And I went to Al Anon for awhile with a friend married to an alcoholic who had pretty much hit the wall in trying to deal with it and was afraid to go to an Al Anon meeting full of strangers alone. Once she was comfortable with it and straightening her life out I quit going, but it is certainly an excellent program.

I do all right with alcohol since I rarely drink any but sugar is another matter entirely. We all have our Oops Areas I guess. King Korn is excellent and I certainly recommend it. If you would rather read the book that triggered the making of King Korn, read Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan. We are switching more and more to local and organically grown. DH is slower to go with it than I am and he does most of the cooking, but he is getting there.

Having to take shots of B-12 for pernicious anemia is no fun, but it is even worse to be allergic to the shots, like my MIL was. Left her with dementia so they had to use other not very effective drugs she usually refused to take because of the side effects. Consequently MIL did various things like call the cops to insist her long grown daughter who did not live with her was growing pot in the toilet tank in MIL's bathroom, none of which was happening. Small town, so the cops were gentle and understanding about the situation.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Sublingual (dissolve under the tongue) B-12 tablets are fairly effective - more than the swallowed kind. Those big fat veins under the tongue are good at absorbing. Shots still work best if blood levels are very low and digestive absorption is the problem.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I don't do New Year's resolutions. I guess I did quit smoking just a couple of weeks after New Years 30 years ago. But I don't really think it was exactly a New Year's resolution.
If what I was doing that day counts, I am in good shape. I cooked all day. Well, maybe not in as good a shape as I would be in if I had gone to my current gym, the pool. But the pool was closed that day.
Need to get back to the pool. Too late for today though.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Well, only three days into the new year and we have already broken our first resolution. We had to take our cat to the emergency vet because his limp got very bad very quickly this afternoon. We've been trying to figure out what's hurting him for three weeks and he picks a sunday afternoon to get suddenly worse. The vet's not sure what the problem is yet but says it's not life threatening.

Santa Fe, NM

Yeah,DJ, sublingual didn't work for me. But, I've heard it is the best. Mulch, as you know, I am darn glad to hear from you! I enjoyed the "Omnivore's Dilemma ", too. Today I spent most of the day painting and having a better time of it. I started a series of wild flowers that I'd been wanting to do for awhile. But, I mentioned that already. I'm starting with blanket flower or gaillardia (sp.?). It takes me some time to get a feeling for a plant. I have always loved fields and "tangles" so I'm having fun. Now, the other person we haven't heard from is Dparsons. AKA DWid or Dave who is Dave or Doc. If he is lurking about I encourage him to check in. It bothers me when people disappear!

Santa Fe, NM

Katlian, did you specifically mention your cat? Do it now! There is still time because it is early yet. Dang!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Wasn't Dparsons headed for California last we heard? I bet he is just enjoying the warmth too much to come home. But probably will arrive soon so Zerbeebee can go back to school tomorrow. Boo hoo for Zerbeebee.
I checked the weather bureau chart today again. The coldest weather of the year is Dec. 31 to Jan 5. Only 3 days to go to warmth! Statistically and comparatively speaking.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

I got the flu before Christmas as I had gone to Costco and been around too many people and caught something. It was not a severe flu fortunately. But between the infrared sauna and increasing my physical movement, this past week I evidently stirred up all the toxins that had been lying undisturbed in my body. Women in my family have weak lymphatic systems and mine started screeching, a sure sign I need a serious detox. I knew it was coming, but had not felt strong enough to start one yet.

DH cooked salmon for New Years Day, which I love. But I could not even stand the smell of it, let alone eat it, and there was nothing wrong with the food. So now I start the day with solay, a super saturated Himalayan salt solution. One spoonful taken in a glass of water. Himalayan salt has around 80 minerals, more than sea salt, and I am focused on staying mineralized since heavy use of the infrared sauna sweats minerals out along with loads of toxins. Then I make fresh carrot/apple/beet juice for breakfast. Wheat grass juice later. For lunch my big indulgence of the day, a little homemade eggnog made with highly mineralized local raw milk and eggs. The rest of the day is fresh lemons or limes squeezed into water with a little maple syrup, as those are all high minerals too. Also keeps me from feeling too hungry.

It can be hard to get into the mindset to maintain this regime, but once I am there, it can run along quite awhile rather smoothly. And I am definitely in the mindset. The sauna is helping immensely with the process.

This would be an even more intense detox if I was not drinking the eggnog, but it already is as intense as I dare at the moment. Weight is coming off, even though stopping eating during the flu did not even make my weight bobble. I am 20 pounds over the weight where my body quits working as well as it should, so if I can peel off 25 pounds fairly quickly, that would be a big help. Of course the body has to process all that weight loss too, so that adds temporarily to the detox burden. The rest I can take off more slowly, but my first priority is to get seriously ungunked quickly to let the body naturally work better.

It is helping. The sharp pain in my lymph nodes is now a more generalized ache, which is progress. For some reason tonight I am waking up every hour and a half or so, so you all get to share in this dubious fun, ha! This first few days will be the worst of it and then it should get a lot better.

Santa Fe, NM

Please be kind to yourself, Mulch. The mineral replacement with the dry sauna makes sense to me but be sure to stay hydrated and don't starve! My S.I.L. has lost about 30 pounds over the past 6 months by eating every other day and fasting with lemon or lime juice and water in between. She says she feels energized and she sure did need to do something but her color isn't good and she doesn't look very healthy to me even though she is thinner. Her flesh kind of hangs on her. She is about my height, short, and had gotten up to 180 pounds. I'm no one to talk, really. I believe that each of us knows best what we need to do for ourselves and what approach to take to do it. Still, I find extreme measures alarming. And stay away from Costco! : )

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Actually the kindest thing I can do is work through this phase of the detox as efficiently as possible without sinking my boat. And I am staying hydrated, definitely not going to starve. I would not do this with only lemon or lime juice. They are good, but need other stuff to go with them. Your SIL might do a lot better with a variety of raw juices, particularly wheat grass which has all the amino acids. I have been through this before with my lymphatic system, so I do know how my body responds. I usually do not let things get this bad, but the past year was exceptionally difficult and there it is. Rolling my eyes.

But this is the first time I have done one of these with an infrared sauna, and boy, does it help! I ached all over when I got up this morning and got in the sauna. Now I feel pretty good, which actually surprised me. The improvements are coming a lot faster than usual, and I started this one off in spectacularly bad shape.

I ordered a rebounder which will be here in a few days. I read that two minutes on a rebounder powerfully activates the lymphatic system for an hour. The recommendation is to use a rebounder two minutes every hour all day to really work on the health of the lymphatic system. By the time it gets here I should be ready to have a go at that.

And I am staying away from Costco and any other collections of humanity. I want to go see Avatar, but will wait until later.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

So glad you are beginning to feel better, Mulch!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Checking in. :-)

I usually don't make New Year's resolutions, but do decide on various course alterations in life. I do see benefit in the healthy diet decisions. I am and have been working on having a healthy diet. I like meat too, but don't eat it every day. Mostly I'm concerned about the way the food is grown. Grass fed, organic, nutrient rich, etc. and I'm glad this type of food is becoming more available. Hormones, antibiotics, and chemical fertilizers are not what I want to consume.

I think growing my own fruits & veggies is a big help because what is available in the stores is generally poor. My biggest challenge is in terms of working more "from scratch" type cooking into my weekly routine. The issue is a time, planning, and routine issue. I get home from work at 5/6 o'clock and taking 2 hours to make dinner isn't on the preferred agenda.

Roybird, have you looked at absorbing B-12 through your skin? I should think getting B-12 regularly rather than 1/month would be best. I typed "B-12 DMSO" into google and got a number of hits on the subject. Not an area where I really know anything so I'm not recommending doing this, just recommending looking at the info.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Dave, the time factor is definitely a hurdle when cooking from scratch . Fortunately I have someone who doesn't mind spending an hour in the kitchen after he gets home from work but if it was just me I certainly wouldn't eat as well as I do. During veggie season we make big batches of tomato sauce and pesto and soup and then freeze individual portions. Two things that help keep us motivated are trying new recipes and inviting friends over to dinner. I highly recommend Cooks Illustrated for recipes because they explain how they come up with a given recipe. It helps me figure out what can be substituted or changed and what is essential.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Mine are here:
http://msbrownthumb.blogspot.com/2009/12/gardening-goals-for-coming-year.html
So far no progress.

Thumbnail by DenverJude
Santa Fe, NM

D.J., you just haven't met the right plants yet! Mulch, you sound good. One thing about the healthy food is that it doesn't necessarily take longer to make but takes more planning, I think. We eat stir-fried vegetables with rice and tofu or left over meat as a kind of healthy fast food. And omelets are quick. Home-made pizza is something Zerbeebee might like and could help with. It is hard to get home and have to make something for dinner right away. I get hungry and snack too much so I try to have semi-healthy snack foods around, like puffed rice cakes or bananas or almonds. The take out chicken at Whole Foods is very popular here, too.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

You got it Roybird: its a combination of planning and having a repertoire of quick & healthy things. The set of prepared meals you mention, Katlian, helps too - especially for garden harvest. Its a matter of building it up. I hope to get a chest freezer soon so that I can do some bulk processing. I'm also finding that choosing to just purchase healthy foods leaves me with the decision of how to make a meal of them and helps push the envelope. If there is no junk food in the house you don't eat it.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

You guys need to get more manure in your mouth. We veterinarians never get sick. Dirt and Manure or compost for all that matters is a good immune stimulant. LOL

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I ADORE a guy who knows his poop ^_^

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Is that why dogs eat poop?

I found that freezing smaller portions really helped with using it later. DH used to freeze everything in quart tubs but it's such a pain to use if you only need a cup of sauce for two people. Now we freeze sauces and such in silicone muffin pans. Each muffin cup holds about 4 ounces which is a good serving size. When they're frozen we pop them out and put them in ziplocs.

Since homemade dough needs to rise and we don't want to wait until 8:30 for a pizza dinner, we usually make the dough one night, eat something else that night, and refrigerate the dough until the next evening.

You're right about not buying the junk food to start with. If there is a easy way out of cooking there is less motivation. When we had a CSA subscription there was a pretty high motivation to use all those veggies before the next box arrived.

Santa Fe, NM

There is a kind of probiotic (expensive) that was supposed to incorporate soil because our food is too clean and we need some dirt every so often! So, there you go, Sofer! A health food expert. My D.H. and I both grew up in families that had Big freezers and our parents bought stuff on sale and made stock and bought large amounts of beef and so forth. That is what families did then. We very seldom had fast food or deli food altho I loved Taco Bell! My mom was a mediocre cook but she did cook meals all the time. Which is why I had to start cooking when I was around 10. My step father was a chef and when he wasn't home Somebody had to step up or it was cream of mushroom soup casserole time! And nobody wants That! Or canned peas, either.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

You need, being a hunter gatherer, to injest the soils on your food and drink mineral rich waters. I admit that that is hard some places but we gardeners are healthier during the summer because we ingest or inhale many bacterias, fungi, and antigenic material. Our Immune system is desirous of having something to do. When it doesn't it shuts off T-cell and other immune functions.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Why are canned peas so blehk? Whatever do they do to the poor peas that make them so? Other canned things aren't so bad.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I think the fructose in the pea causes continual osmotic pull of the fluids into the pea and dilutes the flavor and softens the pea. That is why they store chili beans in a starchy fluid so it doesn't distort the bean.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.