New Years Resolutions?

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Got a good laugh here, although I think it was quite unintended. Katlian, reread your post remembering the context of manure, compost, poop, etc.

"Is that why dogs eat poop?

I found that freezing smaller portions really helped with using it later. DH used to freeze everything in quart tubs but it's such a pain to use if you only need a cup of sauce for two people. Now we freeze sauces and such in silicone muffin pans. Each muffin cup holds about 4 ounces which is a good serving size. When they're frozen we pop them out and put them in ziplocs."

So I am easily entertained this morning, what can I say? Actually the muffin pan idea is a good one.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Oh, I am bad. I do cook a lot from scratch, but I have learned to do fresh veggies quickly, in most cases. I do buy prepared foods from Trade Joe's for DH. They don't come with preservatives and he loves their frozen gnocchi with either gorgonzola or tomato and cheese sauce and also the penne arrabbiata or pepperonata. ( I know the later are probably spelled wrong but I am too lazy to look up the correct spelling). He also loves their marinated mahi mahi and turbot and their marinated chicken in a variety of flavors --ready to pan fry in an instant. All of the above are just a matter of being heated up and are delicious, and not full of preservatives.
For me, I make those Near East boxes of pilafs -- couscous, rice, or bulgur wheat. They have a little more salt than I like but otherwise are delicious and quick to fix. I also buy Trader Joe's beans, already cooked, with very little salt and some herbs, then sold cold in with the cheese and tofu. Delicious beans that can be added to other dishes or just warmed with a little onion or tomato or whatever you want. Canned beans usually have way too much salt.
I buy large plastic boxes of fresh spinach from Sam's and also large boxes of mushrooms which are quick to prepare. Just slice and saute and the spinach is organic and doesn't need to be even sliced. Just stir fry with a little garlic.
I am bad about freezing things. I freeze them and then can never face them again. Some sort of mental illness. At the moment we don't even have a freezer, but we have inherited one from MIL and will move it over here one of these days. I will try again to make myself eat the frozen stuff from my cooking and my gardening. At least that will give me a place to store all the frozen stuff I buy from Trader Joe's so it doesn't fall on my toes every time I open the door.
I think almost all canned veggies taste bad. Freezing just works a whole lot better if properly done. The only canned veggies I use are tomatoes and artichokes, hearts of palm, and jalapenos. DH likes canned soup when he is sick, but I rarely touch the stuff. I do buy a lot of canned sauces like Harissa and tomato sauce and pepper/eggplant spread as sold in Middle Eastern groceries.
Quinoa and couscous can be made from scratch in minutes and I do make those. DH has even learned to eat couscous, but he prefers Italian type pasta.
I am being cruel to those of you who don't live close enough to Trader Joe's to take advantage of their healthy prepared foods, but my whole cooking life has been improved by the presence of Trader Joe's in Santa Fe.

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

Yum, poop sauce. I guess I should add the line "And now for something completely different..." I have a bad habit of switching subjects without warning.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Aw, adding that line would be no fun.

But we do need a Trader Joe's around here, I am convinced.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

We were not meant to eat sterile food.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Mulch, everyone needs a Trader Joe's nearby. It is a gift from heaven to people who want to eat healthy without spending their lives in the kitchen. Whole Foods is good, but way too expensive and doesn't have as many of the healthy but fast foods. Their prepared foods are great, but awfully expensive. Just before Christmas I got a full stalk of brussels sprouts at Trader Joe's for $2.99. Everywhere else they were $4.99 to $6.99 for the exact same thing. We are still eating brussels sprouts from that stalk.

Poop sauce may be going a bit far, but I agree with Sof that Americans are way too afraid of bacteria. I learned how important it is to keep testing your immune system when I was a school teacher. The first 4 years I was constantly getting sick. I caught every cold and flu, but after about 4 years, I never got sick at all and that immunity lasted many years after I left teaching. I catch more colds and flu than I used to now, but not as many as many of my friends who are really germ phobic. I do plunge my hands into the compost pile and the soil -- without gloves. I do wash my hands before I eat after messing with compost and manure, but I am sure I inhale or accidentally swallow all kinds of bacteria. I don't care to touch dog poop because of its smell, but I do put it in the mulch around my fruit trees. It doesn't seem to hurt anything and eventually decomposes and feeds the tree. I hate to waste poop -- except, of course, the human poop that we have to send to the sewerage treatment plant, but I would love to have a composting toilet. But this house is not set up for it, nor is my farm house. But we do have a septic tank which is a crude composting toilet.
Don't forget that bacteria digest our food for us and that taking antibiotics kills them off. So we have to restore them if we take antibiotics -- with yogurt, miso soup, kim chee, or maybe pills.
And don't forget that germs give us many of life's pleasures like good cheese, yogurt, sauerkraut and good pickles, and best of all wine!

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

I agree Paj. Add kefir and kombucha to the probiotics list too.

I had a friend in Arizona who used to make the best cauliflower pickles I ever ate, just a hint of hot peppers in with them.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

We don't have trader joes, but we do have sunflower market. It's a small, all natural grocery store that buys local as much as possible and keeps their prices low. Low enough that the area Safeways have had to drop their prices a lot to compete.

Santa Fe, NM

Sofer, you are actually making a lot of sense about the soil and minerals and I totally agree with you! Does this mean I might turn in to a Republican? L.O.L. (And please don't take that as political dear DG Thread watchers.) We have a Sunflower grocery here, too, but ours doesn't carry much organic or local food probably because we also have a co-op grocery just down the street from it and more than one Whole Foods as well as Vitamin Cottage and all the rest. The Sunflower here is like a tiny Albertsons. I'm a real curmudgeon today so I'll go on record as Not being a Trader Joe's fan. I might like it better if it wasn't so crowded and had more fresh organic and or local produce. I like the farmer's market, the co-op ( which is unconscionably high priced but has the best produce in town other than the farmer's market or CSA membership and very good prices on bulk foods ), and Whole Foods. We also have a locally owned grocery, Kaunes, here which is o.k. And there is Herbs Etc. which is a locally owned herb business and vitamin store. Santa Fe is a Grocery Store town! We barely have a hospital and the public schools are a mess but we sure have food choices!

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

On the organic foods, roybird, you are fortunate to live in Santa Fe with its uncommon sense. Many of the people will pay unconscionably high prices for organic and/or local produce. Elsewhere in the country, where people have more common sense, they don't pay the extra $.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

We have organic in 2 of the 5 groceries and the turnover is high. I personally enjoy the herbicides and preservatives in the cheaper produce and use only organic/natural processes where I garden. This is because it is the only way that has worked in my 50 some years of gardening.
Not to worry RBird no republican ever was created by eating dirt only spreading it.

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

So true soferdig. Its not what goe into you that makes you dirty, its what comes out.

Santa Fe, NM

L.O.L.! It is probably good to eat some herbicides and preservatives from time to time to keep your immunity up. Just as it is good to have some caffeine and sugar from time to time, just in case, so your system will not become totally unbalanced if you ever have to stop at a Starbucks in a snowstorm or something. I've had that happen. : )

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I am not a person who worries about ingested toxins (except what I know is dangerous) because we inhale, touch, absorb, drink, and recieve with abandon sooooooo many chemicals and radiation that is present all over our environs. I became a broken environmentalist when I saw the Movie "Trinity beyond atomic bomb", which shows for over an hour each above ground atomic explosion the United States did alone. Each explosion taking only up to 30 seconds. seen here. http://www.amazon.com/Trinity-Beyond-Atomic-Bomb-Movie/dp/B00000IML5

Santa Fe, NM

Uh Oh. I can understand that, too! I think I am also a "broken environmentalist" or at least a rather despairing one. However, in the long-term scenario, homo sapiens might not represent the dominant paradigm. And that might not be a bad thing.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Hence the fact that no radio transmissions come from all of the millions of planets out there that support life. With Iranian nuclear power now inevitable it is interesting reading the Book of Revelation. And planetary destruction follows the cracking of the Atom. Too many angry and powerful conflicts of power.

Santa Fe, NM

Well, that is interesting. To be honest, I never have read it. I will make it a point to do so in the future. Believe it or not I am currently reading a rather long history of Burma. Which may fit in well with all this in some way.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I have studied it for years trying to get a personal understanding. Not an easy thing to do. Having someone translate only fits their agenda. The clearest portion is when 3 people are shot in Jerusalem and die being left there on the streets for the "world to see" (onset of TV) and raise after a period of time to walk again. "Head for the hills". The armies of the world will move onto Armageddon to do battle. It is interesting because it does describe the nation of Israel being destroyed by Babylonians, Persians, and finally Greeks. This all happened a long time after John wrote it. And comes some time after the nation of Israel is reestablished (1948).

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

I'm personally rooting for the next Ice Age. To take homo sapiens down to a reasonable population level, that is, and give us a new base from which to evolve.

Republicans like France, I would assume, because the French are big on republics. This is their fifth one.

And as for poop, Piper believes that you shouldn't eat anything you aren't happy to roll in.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I am with you, picante, on the ice age. I know that isn't what is being predicted right now, but there is another factor other than carbon dioxide in the atmosphere to take into account and that is the fact that all of a sudden sun spots have stopped -- ie. solar storms. In the past when that happens, earth has cooled. So, yes, we may be putting more carbon in the atmosphere every day, but it is possible that will not matter if the lack of solar storms continues. I am totally in favor of controlling our carbon emissions, but there are other factors influencing our planet as well. How did I learn all this about sun spots being in decline? I wanted to go to Alaska or somewhere to see the northern lights. But guess what, no solar storms, no northern lights. And whatever is going on with the sun in this respect is highly unlikely to be caused by human behavior.
In the end, the whole human race is very tiny given the whole universe.
As for Revelations, I have read it, but I'll be darned if I can make heads or tails of it, or if I trust anyone who claims they can. I am from the Great Books tradition which means that if you can't read something in the original and understand it on your own -- with great attention to the original language in which it was written, then it is nothing but hokus pokus.
I got my MA from St. John's College where we read even Einstein in the original. We don't take other peoples' word for what any text says. I confess that I didn't read Revelations in the original -- Greek or whatever, but I really don't think bad translation is the reason I can't understand it. I think it may just be incomprehensible. I would be interested in reading anything that claims to explain it -- that is anything that uses the actual words of the book and not some belief imposed on those words by some religious zealot.
I do believe that human beings are pushing the limits of what the planet can sustain as far as human life is concerned. One doesn't have to have a religious book to see that fact. The collapse of humanity probably will not happen in the lives of any of us on this forum, but I certain see such a collapse as inevitable if we don't change our current ways.
But perhaps we should consider things like the sinking of Venice, Italy and of New Orleans in the waters of Katrina as the beginning of millennia of climate change disasters. The seas are claiming new territory all the time, even now.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I am worried about the next Ice Age because we hairless apes are not going to survive. Start looking for that man with hair on his back to make your children with. Or look long and hard for a Sasquatch that has good personal skills.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I think Sasquatches have evolved personal skills which is why they don't hang with the rest of us.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

As usual, I pretty much agree with all you dear wacky people.

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

i married a viking. does that count?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Vikings have the coolest boats!

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

OMG, they have the coolest helmets, too!

Santa Fe, NM

They have Dragon Boats!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

All true northern gene pools will survive just get a Viking that doesn't go sailing in rough seas. That will end the gene pool very quickly. Most of Northern Ireland, Scotland, Denmark, and Northern Germany have good Viking genes. Those who sailed on the North Sea from Norway did a bit more than spread Norwegian culture.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

There, now that I've had breakfast I can say something coherent. First I have to snorkle about Dnut's observation on Sasquatches.

Paj, my stepfather (a geologist who'd rather believe oil company scientists than "independent" scientists) agrees with you on the imminence of the next ice age. He points to the Jet Stream, which Sofer mentioned in another thread. It's been going south.

Every time he starts talking about how great it is to have the next ice age starting in our lifetimes, I crack up (silently), because it sounds so wacky at a time when the world is obsessed with the problem of global warming. He and I have disagreed on this subject for the last 20 years.

An ice age would solve a lot of human-created problems. Picante-style thinking holds that reducing the human population to 10% of its current level will reduce the rate of environmental destruction and buy some time for all species.

Sofer, I was never interested in producing children. That hairy guy you're talking about is my dad. All that hair, and no grandchildren, poor guy. I think I'll call him today and tell him about all this.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

So sad another potential genetic survivor comes to an end Picante. I too agree that Sasquatch has chosen to hide from we Homo Sapiens. David Thompson who crossed the Rocky Mountains before Lewis and Clark saw the "Large hairy ape that the natives have so often commented about". ibid "David Thompson narrative"

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

since we will not be reproducing, the entire question of viking survivability is moot (

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Ice age? Global warming? The variability of temperatures seen on the planet is more than than we have seen in our lifetimes and over longer periods of time. According to the data we are cooling right now, but I don't know that we can predict that going into an ice age. I think we have some stastical measure of the variability, but not a predictive capability based on the mechanism(s) that drives it.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

Concisely put, as always, DwiD.
Cooling right now? Is "right now" this past 2 decades or this past 2 centuries or millennia?

Albuquerque, NM(Zone 7b)

Last decade +/-.

Its about like predicting stock market behaviour for the next decade when the averge stock price drops 1/8 of a cent in an hour.

"We're all going to die if we don't do something about it! Elect me and send me your money!"

Pooh and Piglet were walking in the forest one day. "What if a tree fell on us, Pooh?" said Piglet. "What if one didn't, Piglet?" responded Pooh ...

In order to plan one should consider both all the things that could go wrong and all that could go right. Many of the Great Depression survivors have died with small fortunes in the bank that they were saving in case something happened. Everyone dies but not everyone lives. Too much fear is not a good thing.

Santa Fe, NM

It seems like what I've noticed more and more over the past 5 years have been unusual storms, sudden temperature variations and unpredictable weather events. I have also noticed that mostly we are unprepared for anything extreme even if it Has been predicted. By "we" I am referring to our governmental responses or lack of such, when there is a disaster. Federal and state. Not that we should be afraid, but I think we shouldn't be too trusting, either. " Keep a clean nose. Watch the plainclothes. You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows! " Bob Dylan.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

very cold and snowing like mad here. went to the store so have food and everything I need to snuggle in for a couple of days. come on snow!

Santa Fe, NM

We are supposed to get very cold temps tonight and maybe snow. I'm a little worried because I am going to visit a friend tomorrow who lives a little higher up on a dirt road. I guess if there is too much snow I'll just have to reschedule. Thanks for the heads up, D.J.! See, we don't need a weatherman!

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

NOAA is forecasting 12 F for Santa Fe tonight.
-15 F for Helena. But we'll be up to a balmy +10 tomorrow.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

NOAA is predicting 9 for tonight in Los Alamos and no snow for the forseeable future. Cold without snow is unforgivable in my books.

Santa Fe, NM

Doesn't look much like snow here at this point. Had a 2 hour tai chi class tonight. Very nice.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.