Coleus Chatter for January

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I moved to north western CA (Eureka). I am renting a small one bedroom apartment that is not too far from Old Town. Eureka = Quaint little village.

Humboldt County is a huge area with only a little over 100,000 people. The Tampa/St Pete area had over 2 million - it is very quiet here by comparison. It takes about 10 minutes to get anywhere in town. I like it.

Jada, I wasn't really lost...just had misplaced my home, so to speak....

This is a very cool climate, summer time highs are in the low 70's. I probably won't be asking for coleus cuttings until May - if at all. I still have to hussle up some clients (find work) and get established. Coleus are greenhouse plants for 8 months of the year - and I don't have space to grow them yet.

I will be checking in more often now that I am settled in and have a Internet service instead of going to the Library to go online.

See ya'll soon

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Thank you Dale for checking in. Guys I brow beat him into coming forward and saying hi. Now we know where he is we can go help him find business because it is probably warmer there than where you are, find a place for his greenhouse and just make him Happy. Now we need to go on Google and find out where Eureka is located?????

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Sounds like you landed on a soft spot Dale. Welcome back to Daves

Christiansted, VI(Zone 11)

Oh, Dale! It's so gorgeous there! I lived in Santa Rosa for a year, maybe I shouldn't have left Northern Cal. Not really northern, but I've been to Eureka and loved it.

I'll have to take a group photo of 'your' coleuses, they've finally gotten happy. I'm starting to put the extras in the ground! (the red in the middle is from a nursery here)

Thumbnail by Molamola
FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

We were worried about you Dale!! Glad you made it back. We old hens need a rooster to keep us in line. :)) Enjoy the new place. It sounds great. Hope you can find some clients. That's gotta be interesting to learn to landscape in a new zone. One of my fears of retirement is going somewhere really different and having to learn all the new ins and outs of zones.

Be well,
Juanita

Hum, when you get some time, Dale, we'll need a few of your excellent photos...

Wauchula, FL(Zone 9b)

Good to hear from you Dale! You had us wondering what happened to you!! I am in Az. going back to Fl. Fri. Looks like I will be going back to frozen plants. Oh well Not to worry, I will have some pretty Amaryllis in the Spring.

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Hi Dale, glad to see you're back with us! Like Juanita said, a new zone will be a new challenge for you, but I'm sure you'll have it figured out in no time. Yes, we miss your pictures too!

New Port Richey, FL

Welcome back, Dale! You've certainly been missed. Be sure to pop into the Florida forum to say hello. They'll be delighted to hear from you also.

Helen

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

It is good to be welcomed back. I will have more time in the evening to 'chat'. I am just home for lunch and thought I would check in. I'll be back later...

This is not Florida>

(Zone 9b)

Just today Brinda and I were once again trying to figure out where you were, Dale. I was going to start a state wide search! She will be so happy you are OK! Her emails came back to her so she was in Dale Distress!

WELCOME TO CALIFORNIA!

Looks like Dale left Florida just in time. Poor Florida, and the whole South!

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

We have a rock swap meet in Oregon sometime in June. So when we are through looking for wonderful rocks we will move up your way to see you. So if you see about 20 individuals laying in your driveway, do not shoot, It is your DG rock hunters. We are also coleus, iris and Vera composting friends. We will bring the food. Be ready, we will not give you an advance notice . Visit Garden Talk Discussion, Rock Swap #2. Love to all of you. Mother Winter

Stockholm, Sweden

Hi Dale!
welcome back! Missed youuuuu!
Alice

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I missed all of you folks too.

The difference in time zones is going to take some getting used too. I have to be careful when I call family and friends, called my sister in Tampa at 8pm forgeting that it was 11pm for her. Oopps

Today I am going to be pasting up and printing out a new flyer, targeting all the Bed and Breakfast places in my area. I should be able to get a little work out of them, hopefully they will need some seasonal flower beds, my favorite thing to do.

Jaunita - I lived in SF (270 miles south) for 14 years and the plants in this climate are almost exactly the same. I should have no problems making the transition. I will know over the next few months.....

People use a lot of evergreens here, this is a Cedar>

Droooopy cedar! Thanks for the photo, and am looking forward to your photos!

Luck with getting work!

Mm

Thumbnail by Molamola
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

That is such a great picture.I 'd love to save it and paint from it.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I haven't taken many photos here. My digital camera works best when the sun is stronger. I am so far north and the sun is low in the sky, I have to wait until the sun comes out to get enough light.

Here is a photo from last Aug>

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

It looks like a beautiful spot, Dale. Just be happy.

Hap

Alexandria, OH(Zone 5b)

Dale,

Glad you're back and in a great spot. If you get over by E street (and Del Norte?), check out this cool yard of heaths and heathers. Not very big but it caught my eye several years ago.

Chris

Thumbnail by goodoldbake

STPlong sent me some cuttings a while back. I lost the name of this one, unique funnel-like leaves, growing like well fertilized bamboo, meaning vigorous. Really thick main stem.

Name??

Thumbnail by Molamola
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

might be Kingswood Karnival.Here
s mine

Thumbnail by ge1836
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Chris,

That is a nice yard. I will have to get over there are see how it is doing.

I do like heaths & heathers and will be trying to incorporate them into my plant pallete.

aha, I think so, looking at it in RD's catalogue. It has a hint of brilliant purple right where the leaf turns into the stem. I've become quite fond of this one, and am putting one in the ground to see how tall it might get! The main stem should be called a trunk. The cutting arrived in several pieces, and I managed to get four growing.

Another photo tomorrow.

Sigh, the Sedona decided to wilt today, brought it in out of the sun, still not happy. No idea what's going on there.

Alabama Sunset does not like the sun here, but is growing robustly, and the colors are,,, well, umm,, not drab, but kind of muted.

I feel so sorry for all of you stuck in this horrid winter going on now. I'll post some bright photos this weekend. I have a wild chicken to catch, he's just too pretty to leave out in the woods. And I haven't learned how to control the photos that I'm posting from my new iMac, so that's why it's so BIG.

Thumbnail by Molamola
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Molamola My picture of Kingswood is a bit yellowish.
Its a plant that wont quit inside. I have been taking cuttings from it until I just couldnt figure out where to put bso many plants this May.
Allison had one last year that got reallu big and beautiful.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

We could keep track of our plants and create a list of coleus that are very strong performers. That would be a huge help.

So far Solar Shadow would get my number 1 spot.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi Chris.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

here is my Kingswood .. you have a good memory JoAnn!

Thumbnail by onewish1
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I have everyone fooled then.
I remember things that I consideer outstanding and something I wanted.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I have to go look if any of those made it in.. not recalling seeing the KK

That photo and those plants are so memorable, Allison!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

:::blush:::

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

OK - what's wrong with me? I've taken 3 batches of cuttings from my parent plants already and I just can't bear to throw the parent plants out! Do I need more cuttings? No! I can barely find room for them now! But as long as anything is growing so well I just can't kill it. Am I the only one with this problem?

You are not alone!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

no you are not alone!! my basement looks like a jungle

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

There is no way I will have enough room to put them all outside or even give them all away. I thought about our local farm market too. Anybody else try that?

Edited to add: That's probably a no-no. Guess I'll just have to buy more pots!

This message was edited Jan 9, 2010 11:09 AM

I have so many Swiss Sunshine it's ridiculous! They will sprout and grow from a bit that fits on a quarter!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Talk about survivors,Swiss Sunshine is tops ,along with Glory ,Watermelon,Electric Lime here.

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Pink Confection, Twist & Twirl, Theatre Velvet and Lord Voldemort are the ones that are going crazy for me.

Electric Lime is like the Energizer Bunny.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.