Coleus Chatter for January

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

I'm gonna need some of that Electric Lime girls. Mine was bonza outside, but didn't make it once it came in. Lord Valdemort bit the dust last week too. I am losing about 5 or 6 varities a week now. Started with over 125 different ones and losing them pretty fast for so early.

Chris you sound like me. The ones that are doing OK I can't bear to chuck the parent plant. Just keep cutting them back and starting more. This is a serious addiction I could do without. :))

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Juanita, I'll have the Lord Voldemort for you in the Spring.

I haven't been losing any lately, but I did have problems getting some cuttings to root at all in the Fall, so lost about 6 or so right off the bat. I know, it's a terrible addiction! And looking at the RD website isn't helping.

Christiansted, VI(Zone 11)

I'm really happy to think I'll be able to chip in on the trading! do you do cuttings or rooteds?

Alexandria, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi Nancy and Happy New Year. Sorry about your frigid weather.

Chris B.

Dancing Gypsy at a greenhouse flower trial in Michigan

Thumbnail by goodoldbake
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

What are you feeding that Electric Lime?
Mine are doing nicely but stems are thin and no little root hairs anywhere.

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Wow Chris, love Dancing Gypsy!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Hi Goldfinch
Here are my cuttings in the Livingroom window. The house is cool so plants arent going crazy with height and I keep pinching them off to keep them bushey.

Thumbnail by ge1836

I put straight green stuff, weeds or grass clippings, in a bucket, or stuff a gallon jug, maybe add sticks for the 'brown' component, and fill the bucket with water. Let it set until it smells like a horse just went by, ahem, and water with the liquid watered down a little.

I think maybe the roots are from the plant having flopped over, and growing back up. ?? Oh, but I just checked the Strawberry Drop that's growing just the same, and it has no rootlets. Maybe just the enthusiasm of Electric Lime, hey?

That tree over the deck is generous with sticks and twigs!

Thumbnail by Molamola
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Dale,

Shaken' stuff up out there, huh?

Hap

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I feel the earth move under my feet....

Yes Happy it was a good shaking, 6.5 magnitude. Scared the daylights out of me, but, no serious damage. It only lasted 10 seconds or less, I wasn't really thinking about the length of it at the time. My electric was off for about 6 hrs and a few shattered windows downtown. I am hoping no one was hurt.

Since we don't have a newspaper or local news broadcasts we don't get many details on local events. None of the local radio stations have news broadcasts either. I will have to call my friends out of town to get the details - I don't have cable.

It wasn't as devastating as Loma Prieta in 1989 (7.0), I lived in San Francisco at the time and made it through that one too, but it was the biggest earthquake to hit this area in a long, long time.

Chris,

Here is a photo, taken yesterday, of that landscape on E street - most the the heaths and heathers didn't make it and have been replaced by dwarf confiers. I suspect most of the local landscapers don't realize that most heathers need a sandy, acid soil. The yard is all heavy clay, a real death trap for most heathers. The placed didn't look like it was getting good quality care. It needs to be weeded and have a layer of mulch to 'spruce' it up.

I really like dwarf conifers.....

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm glad that you weren't hurt, Dale.

Karen

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Dale you are right about those heathers.I learned it the hard way. Planted a bunch if them behind the first tee at the golf course I used to work at. Pretty heavy clay here in VA. Anyway to top it off the irrigation system was leaking at the time and they were drowning on a daily basis. Didn't take long for all 30 of them to bite the dust. They are so pretty when they do well and so pitiful with wet feet.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

In the books I use for reference they emphasize "well drained, sandy/acidic" soil. They do very well here - in beach sand with well water>

Heathers must have chilling, right?

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Heathers are a cool climate plant.

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

ge, your plants are looking good! Here is a picture of my latest batch of cuttings.

Thumbnail by goldfinch4
Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

And a few older ones.

Thumbnail by goldfinch4
(Zone 9b)

WOW Goldfinch, great looking coleus. You are going to be full of color this summer.

What a welcome to Eureka, Dale! When I was listening to the news, I was so hoping you were OK! There was one centered in Milpitas just before your big one. I didn't feel it but my husband did.

Look at all the earthquake activity on just 1/10 here - 76 in 1 day.

http://www.data.scec.org/recenteqs/Quakes/quakes0.html

I lived thru the Loma Prieta quake too. That one was so scary! It went on and on and on. Truly the earth moved under my feet. Very disorienting.

Danville, IN

Goldfinch: Your coleus are gorgeous! I understand using the lights in lieu of strong natural light. Since you aren't using bottom heat, at what temperature do you keep the room they are growing in?

P.S. I would definitely offer your extra coleus at a local farmer's market. I've seen plenty of vendors do that in the spring. One person I knew offered perennials at a friend's booth who sells fresh farm eggs. There was no problem and they split the booth fee. I would certainly be happy to buy your quality plants!

Alexandria, OH(Zone 5b)

Dale,

Glad you're OK. On the national news, they showed some of the old downtown shops with windows broken and shelves spilled.

The original picture of the heathers is 6 1/2 years old. Sorry to see they didn't last. The dwarf conifers look good though.
We've tried to grow and sell heathers here in Ohio but quit because they did miserably for everyone.

GE and GF - good looking plants you got going.

Chris B

Zesty Zucchini

Thumbnail by goodoldbake
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Those dwarf conifers are really pricey at the retail nurseries...$110 plus tax for a 5 gallon like the ones at the bottom of this photo>

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

glad to hear you are ok Dale... beautiful cuttings Goldfinch!!!.. I would be embarrassed to show you my jungle .. starting to get in under control now though

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Wow Goldfinch thost are a lot of cuttings.
I have been surprised at the tollerance of my cuttings,no lights,just windows and night temps around 56* This has slowed down the growth but no other damage.I took the plants from the bathroom and put them on the bedroom floor.The bath was getting down to 52 .

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Thanks everybody. I'm really getting carried away!

Hoosier, right now the temps in that room range from about 65-68 deg. I also have a bunch of parent plants in that room that are in front of the windows and they are doing good too.

Dale, when you move to some place new you really shake the place up, don't you! :) Glad you're OK.

ge, if I didn't have so many other houseplants I'd put more coleus in natural light too. I'm surprised my DH hasn't said anything about em yet....

odear, my lovely Apocolypse was 'bumped into' by something, and a foot of the main stem broke right in too. Brittle!!! it's in the kitchen sink in a bowl of water with Superthrive right now, and seems to have rootbuds.

It's such a lovely coleus. heehee, wish I could eat it!

Thumbnail by Molamola
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I love it! Love those colors!

My RD order includes all of their "blacks" and some oranges, groan, bullet biting is so painful!!!!

I'm really looking forward to seeing the textured ones, and how they grow here...

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I just mailed your painting.They said Thursday delivery.
We shall see.
Thats a absolutly gorgeous coleus.
Just ordered Apocolips there goes my resolve.

This message was edited Jan 11, 2010 9:14 AM

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

Good Morning and Happy New Year!

Dale, I'm so thrilled to see you posting as I was really worried when my emails returned to me. I've been asking Kell and Juanita it they have seen or heard from you. I wish you all the luck in the world in your new venture!!!! And thank goodness you are safe after that quake!

Gosh Kell, I had no idea you were in the Loma Prieta quake. What a frightening time that must have been. And thankfully you are safe or I would be so sad... who else would send me flower & food pics and make me laugh everyday?

Chris, I love your Zesty Zucchini (on of my favs) and Dancing Gypsy! I had Dancing Gypsy last year but sadly I killed it with everything going on around here. Hopefully I will be a better coleus mommy this year.

I am trying to get back in the swing of things. I was making myself spend at least one day a week at my Mom's house cleaning out stuff but I have given that up til the weather is warmer. Just too depressing!

We've been looking for a new house for the last few years and now I am really ready to find something. We are so busting at the seams here and we really want an acreage somewhere. Wonder how many coleus you can plant on 5 acres? lol

I hope everyone has a beeeeeeUtiful day!

Where is Pheadra?

Wauchula, FL(Zone 9b)

I am envious of all those coleous cuttings!! I was away for three weeks & came back & all my beautiful coleous are dead!!! Looks like a fire has been thru them & I wasn't here to take cuttings!!! Dale I hope the ground stays steady there for you. There was a shake in Soutern Cal. while I was in Az.
Lorine

Poor Lorine! Want some cuttings in a week or so?

California is home to nearly constant earthquakes. Oboy

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Lorine, it's way too cold to send anything for several months, but if you're interested, please remind me in early May and I can send you some.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Brinda,
When I end my Verizon service in Tampa they took it upon themselves to terminate my website - after I asked them not too and they said they never do that. And my website was with Yahoo, they really had to go out of their way to do that. And I was paid up with the website until Jan 2010. Jerks!!

Anyway, I lost all my saved emails, addresses, phone numbers, etc when they stopped my service with Yahoo.

If you go to my recently restored website it has my new email address. Took me 3 months to get it back and they couldn't restore the info I had stored. I keep asking myself, "What exactly is it that I am paying for?"

About planting coleus by the acre.....if you plant them every 12 inches you can get 43,560 per acre, every 6 inches gives you 392,139 (and what a sight that would be!)....better get busy!

-------------------------------

Rene, I know how you feel. I feel a little lost without my colorful friends. I left my favorite 30 with my sister in Tampa. I planted them under a mango sapling in the back, but, with temps as low as they have been most are probably toast. I love my sis, but, she is not a master gardener.

-----------------------------

Well.....it is a balmy 59* and it is time for me to go fold my laundry and have lunch.

I will check back later in the day.

Ahhhh! Pansies! they can't grow here, waaa.

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

Brinda!!!

Glad to see you. I figured you might be doing that cleaning out thing. Man I feel for you after having done that for my MIL's estate. It took me the better part of 6 or 7 months a few days at a time and I had no sentimental attachment to her stuff. I can't imagine what you are dealing with.

Just took a break from doing a few cuttings and throwing out more plants. Not enough hours in the day right now.

Be warm everyone and Dale try to keep both feet on the ground and stop doing the Quaker dance. :))

J

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

It's terrible having to think about my kids coming in and taking "care" of my stuff after I am gone.

Just know that they will call GoodWill and be done with it. None of them like antiques, cookbooks, silver, etc. Therefore I am going to use everything all the time and God willing it will be in shambles for GoodWill. Two bits my boys will not even come down! Too much rambling I fear.

Hap

LOL, my stuff will be a rather large collection of plants!

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I think Dale flower is a viola. Maybe Tiger eye. Violas are my favorite because they just love the heat and my baskets are great. Or they were great until I saw the enormous multi-tiered coleus that would knock anybodies socks off. You, I cannot remember who, have given me a new mania in life. Grown something that outrageously beautiful. I am in the planning stages and I received Ray Rogers Coleus book for Christmas. We are again 64 today. You just do not know what to expect in the southwest. It can be 65 one week and low 50s the next. Jet stream, mountains, how many people are inhaling in Arizona and many other reasons. We have rain coming all the time but it gets lost in the mountains and goes toward Phoenix.

I need to get off this laptop and get to work. Have many things to do and the day is half gone. Have a great day.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

After cleaning out my mother's home, I came home and made a few changes. I brought out my best china and we are using it as everyday china. I started giving away "Things". But even better than that, I stopped buying "Things". I still buy plenty of gardening plants and the latest gadget. I think every gardener should have at least three or four pair of clippers, shovels, or what ever is new. I laugh when I can actually walk by tools, look and not buy. Kinda like, In and Out Burger. I put on blinders any time I am going to be near an In and Out. And then laugh at the place because I made it by.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

As we mentioned to each other recently, Sharon, the good old saying is so true:
"The best things in life aren't things".

I use my good silver, china, crystal, linens, etc. on a much more regular basis than I did a few years ago.

Now when I find a tool I love using I buy three more just in case I misplace any of them. Jack finds enough of my tools in the compost bins!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.