Coleus Chatter for January

Christiansted, VI(Zone 11)

I believe some toolmakers use dull green on handles for a purpose! I paint handles white or red or bright turquoise blue. If I can't paint, I tie a bit of bright cloth, like a little streamer. Sure helps. I started doing this right after I lost a brand new clipper that was an expensive one, dull olive green.. Never did find that dumb thing....

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

There's also a dip that is bright yellow. It serves a dual purpose: making the tool much more visible and making them easier to grasp. I've had the dip now for about two years and never think to use it during winter, the ideal time.

It (supposedly) works this way: you dip the handles in the glop (for want of a better word) and hang them up to dry someplace safe, like a clothes line in a basement. If I ever get to doing it I'll take photos.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

You are absolutely right, Friends. What are we saving anything for?

Love you all.

Hap

For de cluttering, have three boxes, one for things you use and/or love. Another for things that are good, so they get donated. And a third for throwaway. And you don't have to keep stuff just because someone gave it to you, or you inherited it.

This is FlyLady philosophy--- http://www.flylady.net/index.asp

Does that mean I really should throw out the Gourmet magazines from the 50's and 60's?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Remember the Collier Brothers Pir.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

They are collectors items now, especially since they are out of business. I saw one idea was to put all your utensils in a large basket. If you took it out of the basket to use, then you could put it in a drawer. At the end of 6 months or a year, what is left in the basket you can get rid of because you do not use it.

This message was edited Jan 11, 2010 4:40 PM

(Zone 9b)

Oh Hap, I so agree, My son I bet would not even look thru my stuff. Just call Good Will from NY. LOL And my husband has already told me the day after I go, he is getting a huge dumpster and there it all goes including my plants. And I do think he means it. In a loving way. LOL

I am such a collector. I have been thinking I should start selling all my junk on eBay which is where I have bought so much of it.

Hello Miss Brinderful! So good to see you here again! I know this is such a painful time for you. Yes, I was here during the big quake of 1989 and it is so nice of you to care. Dale and I lived just a few miles apart! LOL Too bad I did not know him then!

If my house gets done in during a new quake, I am moving in with you! Though tornadoes are so scary too! I have so missed you here on the CF. You need to come back to add your usual goodness/niceness to the forum!

I too lose so many clippers. I now buy the cheaper ones. I boil mine too after each plant so that destroys even the best ones fast.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Watch "Horders" on the A&E network. It will give you a perspective on your collecting.
No one could emagine how disgusting hording can be.
I guess thee is a difference between that and "collecting" LOL

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

Randy and I watched a program not sure of the name or channel.. but they went to clean out apartments in NYC after people passed away.. and the one place was a horder .. frightening stuff

(Zone 9b)

Do horders collect everything even garbage? How sad for them to have such an affliction.

Gee Onewish, I think that is an invasion of privacy, don't you? Can you imagine dying and have the world be able to go through all your personal belongings? I know when my Mom died she wanted me to go thru her personal things and not let anyone else near them. So I stayed an extra week and went thru all her personal areas of the house, clearing it out. Then left the rest of the house which had all the valuable things to the rest of the family to do with what they wanted.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I think they were searching for a next of kin... or if they had life insurance to try and stop them from being buried with the rest of the John & Janes... this one place had stacks of newspapers & magazines everywhere.. I mean up to the ceiling.. only tiny paths to walk around in

the one place the person still lived in.. and they were trying to convince them to throw the stuff out.. so they can effectively control the rats and roaches

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I remember that program it was years ago.
Horders keep everything including garbage.
Many horders with children eventually have their children removed to foster care becaus the environment is unsafe.
Hording is a mental condition that can be helped with counceling. I wonder what the cleaned up homes look like a year later.
My neighboe at the old house was a horder. She was a pediatrition and the place was a mess to be using the kindest language possible.
They lived in a 1000 sq ft home,the garage was so full no cars would fit in.
2 years before I moved, she contracted a virulent form of breast cancer.
If she survives this I have a feeling her husband will leave.
She also has a dying cat and dog and 5 ferrits.
She is a sweet careing person but just 1 sandwich shy of a picnic.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

When Michele & I were looking for yorkie puppies.. (before she bought Riley).. we went to a house in central jersey to look at some younger dogs the woman had for sale in the paper.. claimed she was an AKC approved yorkie breeder... claimed she showed these dogs... she was a horder ... and had like 10 kittens, 7 cats, 8 full grown yorkies, and 4 younger ones.. the second we stepped foot in the house the smell of urine smacked me in the face.. walk around the piles of stuff to find all those animals living in a filthy environment.. more or less what we called a small size puppy mill.. the woman was so nice on the phone I had no idea what we were walking into... the area the house was in had very large homes and mansions around it... would hate to be that ones neighbor .. it was dark when we got there.. I can imagine what the outside of the house looked like.. when we found Riley we were so happy to see a clean house & someone who cared for them.. even though he didn't have AKC papers we bought him anyway.. we plan on breeding my Lily with him but just for us and maybe a couple of friends.. we both agreed we would rather have a healthy animal that was cute and not a filthy mutt that they were claiming full breed... and an untrained eye could tell they were not full and had papers.. even though the puppies would make us less money with no registration papers.. we agreed it would be worth the animals health

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

My X SIL is a director with the local humane soc.
They have to intervene with many hoarders to rescue large quantities of animals form homes.
They wear Hazmat suits because of the odor and clouds of fleas.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

such a shame... I bet they would have to wear suits... the part that killed me.. the woman knew we were going to see the dogs and had all day to do something.. but we arrived and the dogs coats were matted & filthy .. think she would have given the ones we came to see a bath at least .. it was pretty bad.. Michele & I talked about going there and tell her to give us all the animals and we wouldn't turn her in.. but I think Michele did make a couple of calls to the aspca

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Yep
Now back to coleus.I just added Apocolips to my wishlist at RD.
here is the container combo.
Apocolips,Electric Lime,Trailing Garnet Robe,Dahlia Fascination

Thumbnail by ge1836
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

you are good!!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I cant wait for july to see if it works.
I made lots of combos for last years containers and many were less than wonderful because RD pictures were off color.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

that happens.. a lot of the photos I take change color with different lighting

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I found RD 's photos were more blue and the bluegreen and purples I planned on were actually yellow green and dark read.
This year i am using the photos I took for color matching because thats what color the plants are in this climate.

same plant, keep trying, but none look like the plant!! I thought it was Grape Expectations, but not according to either RD or Gebharts...

Thumbnail by Molamola

a different effort

Thumbnail by Molamola

And one more!! Why can't my camera see what I see? A nice dark purple, with sort of fuschia borders appearing on new growth. Just had speckles of the fuschia until two weeks ago...

Thumbnail by Molamola

Oh. The tiny white specks are from the men painting the roof. Everything has white specks now, erghhhhhh

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

krappps

Alexandria, OH(Zone 5b)

Mola,

Pretty sure that what you have there is Tabasco, aka Tobasco, aka Mississippi Summer, aka Molten Lava. The name changes reflect the McIlhenny Company, makers of Tabasco Sauce, issuing a Cease and Desist order for using the name Tabasco. Gotta keep the lawyers busy.

Chris B.

Here's Grape Expectations - more purple than red

Thumbnail by goodoldbake

Just checked and my Food & Wine, Gourmet and Martha Stewart Living take up three shelves so I'm far short of an official hoarder, thankfully!

Allison - isn't it hard to imagine living with a mess, like you encountered with the puppies, on a daily basis? Even the furniture and clothes must pick up those odors: gross!

Wauchula, FL(Zone 9b)

Goldfinch I will take you up on that offer later in the year!!!
Lorine

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Sounds good - just remind me again please.

(Zone 9b)

Oh Onewish, what a sad story! It must have been so hard to leave all those animals in such conditions. I know the Humane Societies say to not buy from puppy mills for it just encourages them and more puppies suffer. But it must have been so hard to walk out and leave them all there. My husband doesnot want me even go to PetsMart on adoption days for I can't stand to see all the cats in those little cages. I want to bring them all home. 4 cats are his limit.

I agree with Chris, Molamola. Mississippi Summer is a great plant. And it has different looks on its own, not just because of your camera. LOL. I have loads of pics somewhere here of mine 2 years back that were all so entertaining with all its different looks. I hate it when I cannot get my camera to capture the real color of a plant. Sometimes taking the pic at a different time of day will work.

Great colors in your combo pot to be, ge1836. My favorite part of spring is making up combo pots!

Wichita Falls, TX

Wow! After reading this whole thread, I feel like I'm stepping in on a big family reunion. A family of coleus lovers.

I've never grown any, but think they are beautiful and would love to fill a bed with them. Any suggestions for hot Texas summers? I'm thinking about putting them along the east of the house (afternoon shade) and I'd like to be able to start from seed. I'd need many too fill or partily fill this particular bed. So far I have black and blue salvia and turk's cap in this bed -- brand new bed, started this fall. I also have varigated lirope lining the sidewalk. Advice appreciated. Thanks!

Danville, IN

gretagreemthumb: There are some excellent strains of coleus to start from seed. Check catalogs or on line. They are easy to grow and grow rapidly. I'm sure there is a DG'er in your zone with experience to give you advice.

Also, you should be able to arrange with other coleus loves on this site to get cuttings reasonably.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

greta: I'm kind of new to coleus, too. But I can tell you that most folks on this forum raise mostly coleus propagated from cuttings rather than from seed. This year there is a new seed type called "versa series", touted as the first sun tolerant coleus from seed. I've never tried it but it sounds like it might hold up better to your Tx heat than some others.

Karen

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

hopefully I will soon find out Karen.. I bought versa crimson gold seeds this year

http://summerhillseeds.com/coleus-versa-crimson-gold-new-for-2009-p-820.html

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Burpee has seed kiosk at HD
I saw coleus seeds there

Hum looking through Summer Hill Seeds catalogue online, a nice collection, including sixteen coleus. Very nice website.

Gebharts should get a better webmaster, and a better photographer!!!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

yes they do.. I bought 12 of them

;)

http://davesgarden.com/community/journals/vbc/onewish1/83463/

lying again.. some are from TM

This message was edited Jan 13, 2010 8:59 AM

Mola - I agree about the need for much better photos at Gebhart's.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I bought 3 packs of seeds from Territorial Seeds and the mailing came to over seven dollars. Guess I wont go there again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.