Coleus Chatter for January

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

If you can get them to take you on there is a wholesale site I use for seed www.ivygarth.com

I already have an account set up, but, since they are in the business of selling seeds I can't imagine them turning down a sale. You would have to ask about their minimum. And they are a broker for plug trays. A tray of 100 runs $35, maybe more depending....

They have over 55 different packs of coleus seed, some are mixes, some are single varieties. Packs start at $5 & go up to $20.

Wizard Mix>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

WOW dale

FLOYD, VA(Zone 6a)

ge I just ordered some lettuce seed from Territorial this AM. Their shipping is godawful, BUT in my experience they have the best seeds. At least for the things I grow. I've tried everyone from Burpees to Johnnys and back again. Territorial has the best germination rate for me and I get the sturdiest, fastest growing plants from their seed. I always swear I am never going to order from them again and then I try everyone else.

Juanita

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

OK Juanita thats good news.
I also ordered from SwallowTail their shipping is half.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

thank Dale.. I will check the site out

Christiansted, VI(Zone 11)

What's the gnat recipe using Cayenne and hot sauce and castor oil? I can't find it tho some posted it only a day or two ago...

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

It's posted toward the end of the Rosy Dawn thread.

Christiansted, VI(Zone 11)

Thanks!!!!! A friend has just lost a lot of Desert Rose seeds to gnats, booooo

Thumbnail by Molamola
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Why on earth would little kid think it's August? He's hard to see, but he is a trouper. Look to the bottom right and you can see him smile.

Hap

Thumbnail by Happy_1
Newport News, VA(Zone 11)

I need an id on this coleus. I was thinking it was a wizard because I cant find it on Rosy Dawn. The pink one on bottom.

Where are you Dale? I know you'd know.

Thumbnail by jadajoy
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Dale The Gardener is probably learning how to swim. Major rain in California or he might be getting snow. I am sitting here dodging gnat as I type.

The whole greenbelt bare trees were loaded with red red robins this after. They were singing like they had just discovered the pot at the end of the rainbow.

No, they were auditioning for American Idol:-)

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Then they need more practice. They would be behind, "Pants off the Ground" fellow..

LOL. Then that would be a no?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Anyone noticing their cuttings changing color and growing?

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

The ones I have under the lights have stayed colorful and growing all winter. The parents I have by the windows seem to be perking up a bit again.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I guess lights make a difference.
I dont have lights and mi cuttings and parents are growing the same way your parent plants are.

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Well I'm out of room under my lights so more of my plants are going to have to start going by windows pretty soon too.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Its getting crowded here too. But its better than a snow scene until March.
When do you plant yours outside?

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Mid to end of May. It can really vary from year to year. I usually put my pots together early and end up hauling them in the garage 10 times because of the cold weather. But it's a labor of love!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I have a big red sign in my Garden notes to NOT plant until MemorialDay .
I also have to cover with sheets and then the cold temps put the plants so far back they dont really look good until August.The ones that make it.
There are too many planters for me to move even if I could.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Memorial Day way my planting day too. One year we had a beautiful spring and I thought, 'what the hey'. My begonias were mush within a week. Last time I did that.
Hap

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Wow, I'm surprised at such late plant out in Florida. Around mid May for me. Sometimes I do have to cover for frost, but most years I don't.

Karen

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Just a wild guess here that Happy meant she planted out and lost the plants when she lived around Rochester, not in Florida.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

No, sorry to confuse. I used to live in Rochester near ge. Mine are out all year here and I plant when I feel like it. Just no impatients in the summer and a few other things.

Hap

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Right on, Arlene. What a memory!!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I guess today is the day my memory works. That's it for the year!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Lucky for anyone who can plant early. It just never works.Last spring it was so warm at night by mid May I asked RD to change the ship date.
U guessed it. No frost but night temps in the 30's

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

OK, that makes more sense re: Florida planting!

I moved back my shipping from RD last year because it was so cool here, too. We never did get real summer heat until about August. Before that it was way cooler, cloudier, wetter than any summer in my memory.

Karen

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

kqcra.

But that the reason I moved to FL. All the summers in Rochester were like the worse day in FL.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

So I've heard. I have a friend who has lived in Rochester for a long time. The winters here in Cincinnati are bad enough, I never want to spend a winter in Rochester.

Karen

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

don't know if you guys saw this yet

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1070930/

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I do not like that site. I would just pass on by.. Should be a song.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

It's worth reading, Kids.

Hap

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Jada, looks like a Wizard series.

I have been working out of town, over in the Central Valley. Not much time for computers - and I don't really have much to talk about since I have no plants here.

It has been raining buckets for days all along Pacific Coast, when it is not raining it is overcast. Very gloomy this winter.

The days are getting longer and here along the coast some of the purple leaf plums are starting to bloom.

I will check back later......

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for checking in from time to time Dale.

Thanks Dale! I knew you would know, you'll never lose your touch:-)
Another DG expert confirmed this also. Guess I'll be starting seeds to grow this one.

Glad to know you are working and hope you get more work than you know what to do with:-) Knowing you, you will have a huge customer base before you know it.

Good luck and stay in touch friend.

Joyce

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Need an interview by local or area paper for Sunday Edition. "EXPERT' gardener brings his talent to our area. And then show them your stuff young man. I pick up customers at garden centers. I just wait for them to get that "Look"( I have no idea what I am doing look) on their face and I gently move in but I am as senior citizen and look like someone grandmother. They might think you are a stalker. Maybe get a cane. 95% of the time I just give advise but sometimes I pick up a great customer. My nursery people actually point me out to their customers and say go ask her. She knows everything about growing whatever in Las Vegas. Good luck. How are you going to get your plants? I am so excited for you. What a challenge and exciting time for you. You know Dale, that all your coleus gals are wishing to well.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Go with the flow Dale.

Arlington, GA(Zone 8a)

Peekaboo!!! Hi Guys and Dolls! How is every one? I sure have missed everyone.
So glad to read and catch up with everyone, Waving wildly on the run. Miss you!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.