Saucer Magnolia, Tulip Tree (Magnolia x soulangeana)

Northern California, CA(Zone 9b)

Saucer Magnolia, Tulip Tree
Magnolia x soulangeana

Growing hugely PINK at Filoli, an historic estate in Woodside, California.

Thumbnail by Kell
Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Taken recently?

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

same ?

Considering the bright blue skies, my guess is Kell is playing catch up :-)

No, taken a year or 2 or maybe 3 ago. Anyway Filoli is closed now. I forgot to look at the date. They are in a big pot labeled magnolias. Years and years stuffed in there from all over. But not of course my great pic I had of a Vulcan! My heart's delight. If I find a small tree of it I am so getting it regardless of not having a place for it. Gosh if it grows as big as this one, my house will be gone along with my garden. LOL

Hey Nery girl, I just talked to you on another PF pic of yours!

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

howdy. I have one of these plants and presently is is a large multi-trunk shrub. I would really want to grow as a single trunk tree but not willing to chea myself of all those flowers.

The flowers really are spectacular! I bet yours looks so great, Nery!

This is the one I so want, Magnolia Vulcan.

Thumbnail by Kell

Wow, a stunning bloom, no wonder you want it!

It is huge Sue and the color so deep!

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

I take it Vulcan is one of those bloom first, leaves later magnolias? if yes, I would be interested. I'm not fond of the regular magnolias b/c I find them messy but the bloom first ones, I LOVE!

YES I T IS!!! Go for it Nery!

The first one I ever saw a few years ago, I still remember. I was driving down a residential street and saw it in full bloom. A small one but still a powerful one. I stopped dead in my tracks in the middle of the street and got out and ran to it. I just could not believe the size and color of the blooms. I was so dazed by its beauty! I wondering if there were more out there like it; finally a woman came out to see what I was doing.

I gushed true and eternal love for her tree. She told me a reasonable. facsimile of its name and I rushed home to figure which one it was.

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

I will look into it. I can't do dogwoods and I can't do many viburnums, so this type mag. would be an excellent alternative for late winter interest.

You must have a big yard, Nery. I so want a big yard.

Richmond, TX(Zone 9a)

I found this link. I didn't know there is a white one. would be nice to have white, pink and purple. gotta go hunting, lol.
http://www.ipm.uconn.edu/Plants/m/magsou/magsou1.html

Whoever wrote this piece, though, is not too fond of m. soulangiana, lol.

Kell, you have dmail.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.