Wilfred's Desert Rose Family in January

Christiansted, VI(Zone 11)

Ok, here we go on a better note. I am eagerly and impatiently awaiting buds to open!

Thumbnail by Molamola
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Oh good, we arn't orphans anymore, feels better already! Melissa, I have a desert rose over by my bird bath, it's about 3 ft tall, I never feed it, never water it, I forgot it was there! I just noticed it seems to be the healthiest one I have. Maybe thats the secret, plant em and forget em. Sort of like kids; mine were always dressed warmly fed right, etc, the neighbors (back in Lancaster Pa.) let their kids run naked, mine got every cold that went around, their kids were healthy as bulls?^_^ Jim

LOL, Jim! I knew some Swiss people who were SO finnicky, and always sick, owell!

I think nobody is prepared to be orphaned. My friends who've lost parents, and know I lost mine a while back, come to me with quizzical looks, saying, "I feel so strange!" even tho they're in their fifties and sixties.

And yes, the 'rain' from the birdbath is probably good for that DR. I'm seeing more and more of them as I drive around St Croix. I still lust for the one my neighbor has, from the last place I rented. A forty year old monster! Neglected and not valued up in a corner of their yard. Just the usual whitish pink with darker edges to the flower, but well over five feet tall, with a lot of branches. I want to put it in the Botanical Gardens here. Can I borrow your backhoe?

fuzzy photo of my biggest baby

Thumbnail by Molamola
Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Thank you, Molamola for starting the January thread. I have been insanely busy since before Christmas. Things are beginning to shake down. I just noticed yesterday that my bigfoot desert rose is losing a lot of leaves. I believe it may be this cold front that is going through here. I hope it doesn't die. We love that plant.

Our area is under a frost advisory for tonight, if the Weather Channel can be believed. I will use my little handcart to wheel it in the laundry room, along with the 2 little seedlings that are growing steadily and producing leaves. It would be a shame to lose them. Then will come a couple blooming orchids. The rest will have to fend for themselves overnight, since there is only that much space in the laundry room.

Jim, I am so glad you reconsidered leaving. It would have been a great loss for us and we would hve felt it quickly. I'm glad to hear you are feeling better.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Here are 3 of my babies from Wilfred's seeds.

1 in wine glass (glass is tinted, the soil isn't green ;)
2 in pot

Thumbnail by jlp222
Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

First 3 are about 3 months old. They are in baby food containers. VERY healthy!
Blue Cup has 4 - about 2 months old - 3 are tall, one is a dwarf ;)

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Here is my window.

First 2 plants are "Buddha Belly" one of the Jathropas
Last 3 are ADRs. One in middle is 4 years old and only about 8" tall. Last 2 are same plants as above

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

This is the 3 month olds in October (2 months ago)

Thumbnail by jlp222

Ooo, if that one in front, jlp, is what I think it is, the blooms are huge and wonderful! But they stink, hahahaha. I really like that plant. And that's a nice tiny greenhouse

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Too cold to even post anything today, all I'm going to do is go out and chip the ice off my flowers! This is not why I moved to Florida. Jim

Jim that's why I moved to the Virgins! Florida too cold for me!!!!

(oops, no fresh DR photos!)

Thumbnail by Molamola
Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Molamola, yes that is right! I actually bought it as a cutting in the Marketplace here on Dave's about a year ago. It has 2 new "stems" and has had buds, but they all abort. Guess it needs to be a bit bigger.

And I LOVE my little greenhouse! It's perfect for my seed babies and cuttings. I have some Patchouli cuttings in there now. My step-mom bought it at Goodwill for $1.00! It's all glass and pretty heavy. A GREAT find!

For the buds, jlp, maybe give the plant a little extra water while they're forming. Do you know how big the flowers are? 4 or 5 inches across! not colorful, but very nice looking.

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Good mrning every one, Wilfred got a question for you, do you ever get a freeze in P.R.? And do you do anything to protect your desert rose that you have in the ground? I deep watered mine yesterday following advice I read in our local news paper, but wondering if I should do more. Jim

oboy, I was thinking about you and yours last night. I'd throw a sheet or something over your DRs that are in the ground. And first-thing-in-the-morning direct sun is not good, either.

I was in FLL long ago when the temp got down to 28. The whole place was brown the next day, I thimmk I've already said that.

Puerto Rico miggghhhtt freeze, up in the mountains. Colder up there. But just lightly. I remember the Bahamas had ice once...

Hello, everyone.

We are facing a very definite risk of frosk tonight. The weather is forecast to drop all the way to 32 F (0 Celsius). I will have to bring my potted treasures inside and wish the rest of them good luck. This shouldn't be happening in South Florida. The next idiot who tells me about global warning will be hit square in the face with my long-handled spade. I'll probably get thrown into the slammer, but it will be worth it. I am not a happy digger, these days. I figure I have seen all the frost I can handle while living in Canada for 50 years. I feel cheated, somehow.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

Sorry you don't understand that GW is creating drastic weather changes. The poles ARE shrinking,melting, Glacier Park has 10% of the ice that used to be there, and the Gulf Stream is slowing, and weather all over the Earth is 'unusual' now, but what might just be in store for us in the future. China and Europe are blizzarding and freezing, the Southern lattitudes are having floods.

And Copenhagen was a failure, sigh.

I moved to the Caribbean because Florida was too cold for me.

Cover what's outside as best you can. I hope your plants all make it through this cold time.

Melissa

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Hello to all and hope weather get better, seems like some don't know what global warming is all about, yes it seem like its getting colder than hot, but the truth is that all this cold weather is do to just that, winters will get much colder in the winters but hot weather will also rise in the summer it will be hotter in some places and colder in others, some places will get more water than ever before and some places will get drought like never before seen, very few places on earth will be speared or rather say be less affected by this nature disasters that's comming upon us, in the Himalayas their having monsoon rain like never before seen but once all the snow melts it will sis and the biggest drought they have ever seen will come upon them, same thing is going to happen world wide, once the north pole melt completely weather is going to get hotter than ever before seen and winter will be warmers too. this is partially whats causing their colder winters right now, have a question, have you ever notice its colder after its snow and not while its snowing? this is cause by the wind rubbing against the snow on the ground, same thing happen as the polars melt all that cold water goes to the ocean and lakes and river and when the wind rubs against it it makes the wind colder, but what will happen when all the snow and polars are melted, water temp. will start to rise and wind will rub against it but it won't get cold, all it will do is pick up all the moister it can carry and let it fall on different part of the wold provoking flood like never seen before, and if your asking, than were does the drought come from they mention, simple, as whether heats up wind pattern change also so the clouds full of water will never pass through some parts of the world so as weather get hotter the in some places upward winds will push the clouds away from these areas to the colder ones and as we all know colder winds is whats provokes condensation of the water in the cloud that have accumulated in certain parts of the world which in turn produces the floods. hope this gives a better understanding of what global warming is all about.

Just to let you know, global warming is not just happening on earth, its happening in our entire solar system, only difference is that the contamination cause by humans is making it worse on earth, while on the other planets temp. rises one degrees on earth its rising three degrees, example: other planets rise 2 degrees, earth rises 6 degrees, if other planet rise 3 degrees, earth rises 9 degrees and so on it goes. global warming has to do with the sun going through some phases it goes through every couple of centuries, difference is contamination is making it worse on earth.

All the above is what I understand of the global warming issue from what I've read of it in different parts of the Internet in many area, I don't expect for all to accept it or understand it, but I do recommend that every one should try and find what global warming is all about, it not just about the earth warming up, it more about the disasters it will cause by different miens on our planet by different weather changes like, cold areas being colder, warmer area being hotter, rainy area being flooded, and dryer areas being in drought for very long periods of time. People miet take this global warming more seriously as it will affect all in one way or another.

Imagine what would happen to Florida's orange crop if they had six month of cold weather followed by six month of drought or what would happen to our corn fields if we had six month of cold weather than six month of flooding rain fall or drought, just imagine what this will do to any plant life for that matter and to use, just wanted to say be prepared just in case thees scenarios do happen and if they don't, thank God.

To All I Say, Take Care And Be Happy,
Your Friend Wilfred

PS. even though one may feels down, lousing and frustrated for things that happen to us, their is aways a solution to everything, just have to find a way and give yourself the opportunity to find it, I've learned this through the years and I'm not saying its easy, just saying you have to try.

Thumbnail by WQP
(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I'm not so sure about global warming now. It's one of the coldest years over most of the USA. Surely it would be warmer each year if things were really warming so much. Our summer was cooler than normal too. Here are today's headlines...

Winter Could Be Worst in 25 Years for USA...
3 Deaths Due To Cold in Memphis...
PAPER: GAS SUPPLIES RUNNING OUT IN UK...
Elderly burn books for warmth?
Vermont sets 'all-time record for one snowstorm'...
Iowa temps 'a solid 30 degrees below normal'...
Seoul buried in heaviest snowfall in 70 years...
Historic ice build-up shuts down NJ nuclear power plant...
Midwest Sees Near-Record Lows, Snow By The Foot...
Miami shivers from coldest weather in decade...

I don't understand why they always schedule their global warming gatherings at cold places. The one in Copenhagen was hit by snow. The one in DC was too. They should have the next one in Death Valley...

I am sorry my comment about global warming was regarded as reflecting a dire lack of understanding of one of the greast threats that has ever faced mankind, rather than an attempt at sarcasm. I shall endeavour to be more careful in the future.

I went out today to buy fruits and vegetables at this outdoor stand near where I live. I told them the tomatoes were cold (54F). I also asked if they had room temperature tomatoes. They laughed. Please don't take me too literally. I see the world through a rather unusual set of eyes. Also, I would rather laugh than cry.

Sylvain.

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Wait still summer comes and you'll see this past summer was cooler do to the phenomenon called La Niņa this comming summer will be having El Niņo, that's whats decides which side of the US continent is going to be hotter and that why we didn't get hit by so many hurricanes this past year in the Atlantic area, heat wave was in the Pacific area. If you remember, last summer on the news they were mentioning really big forest fire in parts of Europe that they never never had before and same thing goes for other parts of the world, you also heard of gigantic flooding in some parts of the world that never experience them before nether and same thing with droughts, places that didn't have them before were experiencing them, it has gotten worse by the years. like I said, colder get colder, warmer get hotter, wetter get rainier, and dryer get dryer, just doesn't happen by region it also happens by seasons and year by year.

One must learn to put all the pieces of the puzzle together and see the whole picture together and not just look at parts of it bit buy bit and never seeing the whole scene at once to appreciate it, Its like looking at the Mona Lisa, do you look at the smile only or do you look at the whole picture to see the whole work of art. Same thing goes with nature, have to put the pieces together, one thing affects the other one way or another. Ever seen the movie The Butterfly Affect, good movie if you understand it and what their try to say to you, one thing affects the other, just how it does depends on what was done to one part.

Even though scientist may be smart but it doesn't mien they are wise.

Your Friend Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Sylvain, I never blame anyone for any comment they make regarding global warming issue, even the scientist are having a hard time understanding it and it seems like they don't even know how to explain it to other ether, they should had never called it global warming in the first place, they should had called it global climate change and explained it better to every body so that all would have had a better understanding of it and how its going to affect us all, your comment was of frustration with the weather changes and not personal and you shale be my friend always.

By the way, forgot to mention, its colder this year because the meltdown of the polar cap has accelerated to double the speed is has been melting, scientists say that by the year 2012 there will be no ice in the north pole, now that the ice is melting faster the oceans and water around it are colder and the wind is rubbing against it, that why it colder this year then the years before and that part of why this past summer was cooler to in this part of the world. Scientists didn't calculate the acceleration factor by mistake and the polar ice will be gone faster than what they had calculated at that time. Example: if you take one square foot of block of ice, you'll notice as it melts that the smaller it get the faster it seems to melt, same thing is happening to the north poles, you also notice the the air around the ice block is colder, just as its happening in the north pole, but once the ice block has melted the air returns to the temp. of the rest of the air around, same thing is going to happen in the north pole, that's when the heat is really going to set in.

Some of scientists say that we have past the point off no return, they just don't say it in public because people don't understand what it miens to all.

Your Friend Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP

OK, I am just sad that people don't seem to know that warming is producing crazy weather. They think it means warmer and warmer in their backyard, day by day.

Here's something written in 1997,

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/record/23/11/13.html

I am aiming at growing more food, and at least having a few chickens and a little pond of Tilapia. I know I cannot produce even 1/3 of what I eat, tho. Our food distribution system is so fragile....

I believe we're too late.

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

I believe there is a chance and that there is still time, but the world must be reforest with all type of fruit trees and edible plants besides the flower plants we love so much, all must make water supply tanks big enough for the dryer seasons, if we all help nature, nature can fix itself in less time, it will stabilize itself, it just needs help from all the damage done to it.

People have to understand that our planet is a living thing which we live on and we have no other place to go in the universe, this is our home and we have to take care of it, not destroy it.

Your Friend Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP

This message was edited Jan 5, 2010 6:40 PM

Well, I've been watching the USA temperatures, and am dismayed for my friends in Florida (and other places)

Jim, I sure hope you don't loose your DRs that are in the ground.

And Sylvain, keep warm yourself! And keep that Boa cozy.

Echinaceamaniac-- the ice at the North Pole is almost gone, and Antarctica has shrinking ice. The North Pole ice cools the warm seawater, the Gulf Stream, that goes north from the Caribbean. This cool water sinks to the bottom of the ocean, and slowly flows southward down the whole Atlantic Ocean, and then up into the Pacific Ocean. It's more complicated than that, but that's the basic. This conveyor has moderated the Earth's weather for a long time. There's strong evidence that it has stopped at times in the distant past.

Some of the Caribbean's warm water flows past England, making Great Britain, and Europe much warmer than the same latitude in the States, Maine, and Newfoundland

If this 'conveyor' stops, the world will have much much different weather. maybe even an ice age.

The 'warming' is a fact, at the polar ice caps, and places like Glacier National Park, where most of the glaciers have melted.

it's estimated that the North pole will be ice-free in two years.

And I don't have new photos of my DR's. Hum, the buds certainly take their time growing and opening. I think I would have to be sedated if I was watching seed pods!!

So as to post some sort of photo, here's old rooster keeping an eye on me. These chickens live up in the woods behind my house. I feed them cracked corn. They're very shy. Hum, edited to say I'd cropped the photo to not show the mess! Owell! I'm a hillbilly! And the driveway is much tidier now.

This message was edited Jan 7, 2010 1:48 AM

Thumbnail by Molamola
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Good Morning every one, can you believe it, yesterday morning I had to scrape ice off my car window! That's a first for me in the 25 years I've been in florida, it brought back a lot of bad memorys. My luck is holding , all my desert rose in the ground seem to be doing OK, my seedlings that I've brought inside have not wilted yet, even my butterfly garden seems to be doing OK. I'm thinking now how sorry I am for having thrown out a lot of old Tee shirts this past fall, they would have done just great protecting my desert rose! It's another life lesson learned, think b-4 you throw some things out. Jim

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Jim,let me know when your seed pod arrives.
Today we have zero temp. and 3: of snow and still snowing,they are prdicting 6" BRRRRRR I hate this weather.
I recieved the new (expensive) seeds, only 5 compared to those forein ones on ebay, so I will work getting them planted and Hope I get some good flowers,also got Plumaria seeds, never had those befor but I love the flower.

Doris

good luck with those seeds, Doris!

And Jim, you can't keep everything! The only time you will have a use for something that's been cluttering up the place is,,, just after you finally got rid of it!!

(hi, Wilfred!)

meow

Mm

Thumbnail by Molamola

I have brought in my big adenium because it would be a shame to lose it to frost. However, I have not had to scrape any ice and everything that stayed outside seems to be faring well. I will have to bring the big adenium outside today to water it but it will be brought back inside by sundown. This cold weather is causing Gail to suffer horribly, just like when we lived in Montreal. The sooner it is gone, the better for all concerned.

My python, Lucy, is feeling the cold even though her enclosure has an infrared lamp on 24/7 and we keep the house at 78F (25C) for Gail's comfort. She spent about 2 hours wrapped around my neck last night and she truly enjoyed my body's warmth. She is such a baby! Meanwhile, Gail is putting the Snuggie she got for Christmas to good use. We just have to wait out this cold front as best as we can, I guess

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

I potted all of my baby Desert Rose plants and they are doing great.

I'm curious if the plants having a pink tint is a hint of the bloom color. I'm hoping I get at least one solid red or white out of these seeds. Some of the plants have pale stems and appear to be different. I'll try to post photos when I get home.

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Good Morning to all on this rainy rainy day, a whopping good one indeed, a freezing 68*F to 70*F outside right now, really don't like days like this, can't do anything I want outside done with all the rain and cold winds. Really praying that none of your gorgeouse plants died to the cold weather your having this year but as long as all of yous are OK and well anything else can be replaced even though it saddens us sometimes to loose something.

Doris I really hope the DR seeds germinate for you and Hopping you got enough space in your house for the Plumeria tree, they can grow quite big 10' or more, you going to have to trim it every year after it gets certain size. make sure you keep yourself warm now Doris.

Jim have to say Melissa right about having thing around for years and never using them and when you finally get rid of it that's when you needed it most, LOL! If it gets to good for the ones out side, rape them with newspaper and after that some trash bags so the newspapers doesn't get wet, hopefully this devastating good weather won't last to long. Jim please be careful were you step, if there ice on your car there miet be ice on the ground, don't want you falling and hurting yourself My Friend.

Melissa looks like that cat has the least of worries, just enjoying himself sleeping while we do all worries. Prepare your self for the rain if it hasn't reach you yet, think its going your way Melissa, take cover, LOL!

Sylvain you can put a light bulb in a upside down clay pot were Lucy lives, it works like a heater if it get to cold for her, just make sure the pot is well fasten so that she has no direct contact with the bulb or it miet burn her a little and that not the idea, if pot gets to warm, rap a towel around the pot, towel will absorb the extra warmth or put a lower watt bulb. And keep yourself warm Sylvain.

They say cold preserves thing but I think I rather age with grace than become an icicle, LOL, keep warm, heathy and take care,
Your Friend Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP
Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

echinaceamaniac, I am curious about that also as I have three that are about 2" high and the leaves are almost white, What about tht Wilfred.

Doris

White or near white DRs happen, sometimes to be verigated, but usually fade away and die from not enough, or no chlorophyl. (?? right? I'm learning!)

Wilfred, I need a second blanket for sleeping it's so cold here!! no joke. March is going to be dreadful, our coldest month. And yes, I'm watching the rain marching this way, tho' my cistern isn't full, so I don't mind......I guess. And, oh! I can smell the rain. guess some of it is getting here...

I am struggling to de-clutter. Every time I actually throw something in the trash, I shout, "Hooray!" but I mostly put things in a box to go to the Animal Shelter Flea Market., if I can stand to let go.

OK, an old wall, ruins we call such things.

Mm

Thumbnail by Molamola
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Jt's hit the high 60s so I've put trays of desert rose seedlings out to both get he warm sun and to water them b-4 I bring them back indoors for the night, according to our long range forecast not this saterday, but the next it will be up to 80°s again;I just have to keep my little guys alive till then and everything will be peaches and roses once more. Doris, the pod opened this afternoon, your seeds will also be in the mail first thing tomorrow. And I haven't forgotten Flower of Scotland yours will be on the way also. Talk to everyone tomorrow,
The Good Lord willing. Jim ^_^

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Almost forgot to say Hi to Wilfred,Melissa, Clint,Sylvain,and JIP222!

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Doris, quick question, did any of what I think are called "promising Siam" germinate? I think that's the only one that I didn't get at least one to sprout. Jim

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

It's cold here too. Yuck! Tonight is supposed to be the coldest so far, down to about 18. Schools are closed tomorrow and many people are not having to go into work. It rained today so they are predicitng alot of "Black Ice" on the roads, sleet, rain, and possibly snow.

HAHA while typing this our city's mayor called with a pre-recorded message telling us to be safe, run the water, don't go out if you don't have to not burn the house down, etc... Oh, and his campaign fund is paying for the message becuase he cares about our safety.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Jim two of them sprouted will have to wait and see what I get *S* they are called Amazing Siam

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.