Christiansted, VI(Zone 11)

I am having ... pot pains. Not enough pots, and no moneymoney for great pots that my DR's deserve. I'm thinking about making pots out of 'hypertuffa' see:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/hypertufa/all/

They don't particularly have DR pots, but this is a very interesting craft.

Thumbnail by Molamola
Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

I've seen some very interesting things made from Hypertufa, including some very cool looking planters.

If you have any Freecycle or Craigslist in VI you can also advertise that you are looking for pots...

we have freecycle here, 75% are people wanting things, furniture and ...pots, lol

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

Same here. I'm one of the moderators for our county group and I call it "Beg-cycle" instead of Freecycle.
I shouldn't complain though, I got a big stack of lovely egg cartons from a lady yesterday. We supply our neighbors with eggs (have too many for us) and are always scrouging around for cartons to put them in.

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

MM, if you go over to the hypertufa forum, there is a post with "20 recipes". Some of them are flour, salt, and water clays. They would have to be sealed after baking, though. I thought of you when I read that.... there may be more recipes that you can make pots with.

I've looked at all those recipes, I like the one using cinnamon!

But could they really be sealed well enough to be a full-time flower pot? hmmmmm And how much would the sealer cost? probably just go buy pots after all.

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

I was thinking the same thing. I want some larger pots which are so expensive. I am especially interested in papercrete (cement and newspaper pulp). I love the trough style planters people make. It is a bit cold for outdoor concrete projects, will have to finish my indoor projects and try it in the spring.

I have a DVD from England where the man had planters made of tufa over cast iron sinks (you didn't see the sink when planted. (they must be terribly heavy with the sink in them). He didn't go into detail on the planters, just the plants (arggghhh).

In a pinch, you can use a cut soda bottle or bleach bottle with drainage and put it in a pretty container - on top of a stray saucer in wicker, in a decorative pot with no drainage holes (why do they do that?). You can cut the soda or bleach bottles to fit your pretty cover and not feel guilty about "ruining" a pot. I have some ugly pots -nursery and improvised - sitting on trays right now. The plants are surviving, but the pots could be prettier.

Somewhere (I think about.com container newsletter) a woman made a sewn cover for an upside down tomato bag. I guess that would work. The idea doesn't excite me.

I made some DIY growbags as an experiment. They were alright. I need to try some a bit bigger and find a lighter potting mix, such as coir. The bigger ones need more "structure". My first try at a bigger bag didn't fare well in heavy rains. I'll get the next gen prototype ready to go by spring.

Good suggestions, everyone. I just feel like the DRs that I've received from Wilfred are special, and I want to give them great pots.

Now my Coleuses, they go into anything that's handy!!!

Decatur, GA

I find some nice pots at thrift stores and the Goodwill.
Helen

Decatur, GA

Also, I do curbside shopping and sometimes come across pots. I once found an old galvanized watering can. Nice score!
Helen

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

A year or so ago, I tried an experiment with my plastic nursery pots.

I got some spray paint that is specifically for plastic. It's about $3 a can here. I sanded/graded the pots slightly on the outside and sprayed them down. Don't use too much at one time or the paint will run. This ended up being what happened with my first pot, but once I saw it was running, I kept going, and ended up with a really cool textured look.

You can also get stencils and make a design on the pot. I got some fleur-de-lis stencils, and they looked great!

You can also spray them with primer, then spray with regular spray paint which comes in more colors. I bought one can of plastic spray paint, 3-4 bottles of regular spray paint, stencils and a few little bottles of outdoor craft paint, and probably spent about $15. I could easily have decorated 20 pots for that price. Plus the nursery pots are FREE!

This looks really good when you are trying to showcase plants en masse like coleus. With the pots being the same color, it beings out the color of the foliage or flowers. I had 4-5 painted bronze and had coleus in them. They were beautiful and did not look like plastic pots.

I am going to do more this year, and will take pictures at each step.

Jennifer

Jennifer, the primer.

We had a benefit for the Botanical Garden here, it's a private garden. Someone had a source of 55 gallon plastic drums. These were primed with some white primer, and artists and school children all chipped in with the painting. Skeptical me, I didn't put much time and effort on the artwork.

Some of the barrels were gorgeous! There was a Gala one night, and bidding got up to $500! Most went for 1-2 hundred dollars. A good night for the Bot garden.

Sadly, garbage barrels get rough handling, and the paint just couldn't take it, and the primer chipped off.

Plastic should have either the new plastic paint, or be sanded with fine grit sandpaper for a physically rough surface for the paint to "grab".

I am an artist, and study the craft of painting, and the qualities, and ,, I want to say the habits of paints. lol.

I do prefer clay for the DRs, as they are so slow growing and plastic pots just aren't for them, really. BUT my coleusses! they are a plastic pot lovers!

I wish nursery pots were free here! But I think you've convinced me, those black pots are so boring....

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

The terra cotta absorb some of the moisture from the sil too.
I worry about overwatering my plants. That is why I like terracotta.I have all kinds of pots and if the plants like it and grow with no problems...Great.

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Molamola, I put in the post that the posts should be sanded. I learned that the hard way! The pots really turn out nice. Mine still look like new!

OK, I took your directions about using primer as meaning that sanding was unnecessary.

We have this thing called English that's often confusing!

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

;)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images