Meet Euphorbia knauthii

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

This plant is a very easy grower, but gets a very large root system and can be hard to handle, the spines are quite pokey! I bought some discounted plants in hanging baskets once, but the plants were so rootbound I needed a very large pot for them.

This is a good plant to learn on, you can raise it up quite easily.

I've had a couple of plants for many years, and one of them bloomed for the first time this spring, and bloomed throughout the summer. Typical nondescript Euphorbia flowers. I never saw any fruit or seed, but found babies coming up in all the plants that had been nearby.

Thumbnail by lakesidecallas
Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

Here's a photo of one of the bigger plants, if you follow the branches out to the left, you can see the flowers on the end.

You can trim these plants so they look prettier, but I never have.

Thumbnail by lakesidecallas
Yardley, PA

I found this to be a very difficult plant until I started with s/h. This has now been doing really well.

Thumbnail by Sally0
Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

Wow Sally, that looks really cool. Like it is on tippy-toe!

Mine just sort of sat there, didn't do much for probably almost 10 years. Once I got a greenhouse and started putting it outdoors in the summer, I started getting flowers and seed, and the seed seems to shoot out, as I've gotten little ones growing in a lot of pots.

I also found a few growing outside the shadehouse, and I'm not sure if the seed flew out there or what, if it was seed, it grew through a zone 6 winter. Pretty good!

Yardley, PA

I have never gotten flowers or seeds but I keep trimming the ends. I think I will stop doing that and see what happens. You had this plant outside in zone 6? WOW. I am amazed it would survive. This can be tough little buggers.

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

Oh, sorry! I take them outdoors in the summer and put them in a shadehouse, which is a 10x20 carport frame (the kind that has a tarp over it when it's a carport) with a shadecloth over it. We are in zone 6 but the summer are awful, little breeze, little shade, and the sun beats down, bounces off our rocky soil (we live on a ridge in the middle of the woods near mountains) and cooks everything to pieces!
In the fall everything goes back into the greenhouse. However, I think that small knuthii might have grown from seed and made it through the winter (we only get down to about 5F here). I'm going to leave it outdoors this winter, although I feel cruel doing it! Maybe I could knit it a little sweater... if I knew how to knit... ha ha~!

Yardley, PA

Well. whatever you are doing you are doing a good job. Yours are gorgeous!

Arlington, TX

How many times have you raised that plant up out of the dirt Sally? Or did it come in that form already? It does look like its trying to walk away.
Cheryl

Yardley, PA

Hi Cheryl, Not that many times. The roots just grow like crazy in the s/h.

FSD, Pakistan(Zone 10b)

These are beautiful.
beautiful roots structure of your plant sally.
Here is mine.

Yasir

Thumbnail by cactus_lover
Yardley, PA

really nice Yasir. Thanks for sharing.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Sally, yours looks like a spider to me. I just love it! And Yasir I love the color of yours!

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

Nice fat caudex, Yasir!

FSD, Pakistan(Zone 10b)

Thanks to all of you.
Here is the latest photo of my E. knauthii and show you the whole plant now

Yasir

Thumbnail by cactus_lover
Yardley, PA

That is beautiful Yasir. Looks really happy!

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

A beauty! The stems are nice and fat.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.