Sci-Fi fans, what are YOU reading or watching?

(Zone 7a)

I'm a sucker for End-of-Mankind scenarios. The books: Stephen Kings The Stand, Douglas Adams The Hitchhiker's Guide To the Universe, Pierre Boulle's Planet of the Apes, Cormac McCarthy's The Road. The Movies: Waterworld, the Postman (I know, I know), On the Beach, Zombieland, Road Warrior. The end of Mankind isn't always pretty but it is interesting.

I just finished a book by Jeff Carlson. Plague Year. It was interesting. It's about what might happen if nano technology got lose in the environment before it was ready for use. I found it interesting to see how peoples and governments might react. I will be picking up the second in the series, Plague War.

What are you reading? I need new material.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Our current favorite TV show is "Castle" -- not sci-fi, but we started watching this year because we remembered Nathan Fillion from "Firefly" (which we loved loved loved). It's a fun, cleverly written show.

Presently, I'm reading _Waking in Dreamland_, by Jody Lynn Nye, and I'm really enjoying it. I'm not sure it's the plot I'm finding entertaining as much as the details she's writing into her "dreamland" setting... I don't know if that world will end or not, but it's definitely being threatened at the halfway point of the book.

(Zone 7a)

I've enjoyed Castle, too, but I stopped watching. We are awaiting Season 2 of Warehouse 13. Such fun there.

What is Waking In Dreamland about?

(Zone 7a)

Oh! And we can't wait for Caprica, the sequel (prequel?) to Battlestar Galactica to start in Jan.

This message was edited Jan 17, 2010 9:17 PM

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

We're looking forward to more Warehouse 13, too -- what a romp!

Waking in Dreamland is a little hard to describe, but it takes place in the realms of the "Dreamland," a changeable world emerging from the subconscious minds of seven "Sleepers." The inhabitants of the Dreamland can affect their dreaming world and can be affected by changes in the sleepers' dreams... most change their appearance frequently, often (but not always) at will... but our hero is an oddity, with his unchanging face. I'd say it's a basic "hero quest" sort of plot, but the eccentric and detailed world of the book makes it a uniquely entertaining read. It does have some elements of traditional sci fi (consequences of scientific exploration & experimentation), but I'd categorize it as fantasy.

I like Jody Lynn Nye's style, and this has been a good read so far. Without knowing where the story will end up, it's hard to say if this will be one of our "A" list favorites, but I'd still recommend it. Oh, and if you're at all a fan of Mercedes Lackey & her elven series, I think the collaboration she & Jody did (_When the Bough Breaks_) is one of the best in that series.

(Zone 7a)

Definitely sounds like something I would like. I'm heading to the book store tonight. Thanks!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I hope it doesn't disappoint! I'm only halfway through, LOL.

(Zone 7a)

I can't help thinking that if Mercedes Lackey teamed up with her, she's (?) good enough for ME. LOL

(Zone 7a)

This one is more Fantasy than Sci Fi but has anyone read the Fortress series by C. J. Cherryh? I love these books and may start them again.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Whoops, I was wrong... Holly Lisle collaborated on _When the Bough Breaks_... Jody Lynn Nye collaborated with Mercedes Lackey on _The Ship Who Won_.

My DH is a big CJ Cherryh fan... I don't think i've read her Fortress series, but I'll bet it's on the upstairs bookshelves. Thanks!

(Zone 7a)

No problem. I love her work. I have several.

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

I've been watching Fringe and Fast Forward. I love time travel and read anything with that in it. Not familiar with Warehouse 13 but will go look it up. We don't have cable or a dish or anything so I watch everything after the fact on hulu or netflix. I'm very 'behind' in my tv viewing. ;)

(Zone 7a)

Try SyFy channel. They have the episodes from last year.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

We've been trying netflix and liking it. Wish they had more "instant download" of old series, but they do have season 1 of Star Trek and also of MacGyver. :-) We have season 1 of "Castle" on our list from them.

I think we've started recording Fringe but haven't watched it yet.

Did you happen to catch SyFy's "Alice"? We loved it, just sucked us right in... we liked their recent retelling of the Wizard of Oz, but this was even better.

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

If SyFy is a tv channel, we don't get that. We have no reception where we live and we don't subscribe to cable or anything like that. We only use our tv to watch movies on. Sometimes I hook up the laptop to the tv and watch something off netflix but usually I'm too lazy and just watch on my computer screen.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'd be surprised if "Alice" didn't eventually show up in the Netflix lineup...

(Zone 7a)

SyFy has a website where you can watch past episodes. My apologies. I should have been more clear on that. Syfy.com

I loved Alice! The Hatter was my favorite character. LOL Have you seen Tin Man from last year? A retelling of the Wizard of Oz story.

I'm very much enjoying Jeff Carlson's Plague series. I'm halfway through the second book and have the third ready when I'm finished.

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

I thought the Tin Man on SYFY was an interesting re-telling. Didn't get to see Alice, but can imagine it must be good. It really wasn't a Disney-type story to begin with....drugs and wanton beheadings, ya know...grin

Been re-reading Harlan Ellison's Dangerous Visions anthology..'.I have no mouth and I must scream', still gives me a creepy feeling....grin

(Zone 7a)

Harlan Ellison is one of my favorites. Have you read Spider Kiss? His Anthologies are wonderful. He certainly has a style all his own.

I think I have read everything he has written...including some of his early works in the "Gentleman's" magazines....grin. He also wrote for Twilight Zone and I believe even a couple Outer Limits stories. Like Stephen King, Harlan Ellison has a "strange and rather scary mind" grin

(Zone 7a)

He does. ^_^ He also wrote for the Star Trek series, including one of the movies, I believe.

A restless mind is always a bit strange.

Thank goodness for the restless minds..... they provide much good fodder for mine....grin I love new twists on the obvious and new takes on old subjects (Alice, Tin Man) they keep me curious.

(Zone 7a)

Agreed! LOL

Columbus, OH(Zone 6a)

Glad to see this thread and can't believe I hadn't seen it before, because I just watched Caprica and was blown away by the writing and production. Also, it was great to see Eric Stoltz again. He was a favorite of mine back in the 80s.

I thought it was some of the most thought-provoking and imaginative TV I'd seen in awhile. I've got a new favorite show to watch when Lost wraps things up! Hooray!!!

Columbus, OH(Zone 6a)

Oh, I also discovered David Tennant's Dr. Who back in December, on BBC America - only to find out it was his last three episodes! So now I'm watching all the new Dr. Who episodes on Netflix.

I remember watching Tom Baker's Dr. Who on PBS back in the 70s. Those shows are fun, but kind of dated and cheesy now. But new Dr. Who is AWESOME! If I was 15 years old again I would be dreaming of being Rose Tyler and flying off into space with the Doctor. :)

(Zone 7a)

Fantasy never hurt anyone. Go ahead and dream! LOL

I, too, like the new Caprica and Dr. Who. A big fan of Battlestar Galactica, old and new.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

We watched Star Trek (most recent movie) tonight and loved it but were disturbed by its departure from the canonical history.. don't want to post a spoiler for anybody who hasn't seen it. Great introductions to the original crew when they're all just starting out!

(Zone 7a)

My brothers had a hard time with the new ST but I really enjoyed it.

Anybody love all the older science fiction? Jules Verne? Isaac Asimov? Robert Silverberg? Anne McCaffrey?

McCaffrey had a series called The Dragonriders of Pern. A legendary series in our house. She did another called The Ship Who Sang. For a very short time, I wished I was a Brainship. (I realize I'm weird but I was only 11 at the time I read it.)

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

older sci fi, oh yes! A girl was in the bookstore the other day with her mother, looking for a SFF book "but nothing steamy" LOL.. turns out it was for a school assignment, and not the sort of thing she generally reads. So I asked her what she liked, which basically translated to fun stories about real kids... immediately recommended Anne McCaffrey's Pern books and some of Heinlein's young adult stuff (Podykine of Mars, The Rolling Stones) as well as a couple of more contemporary ones (Jeremy Thatcher, Dragon Hatcher)... of course, she left with something else entirely. Darn, was hoping to get her hooked. LOL

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

reminds me... I just picked up a new paperback from Orson Scott Card, _Ender in Exile_, and I'm looking forward to it. Planning to re-read _Ender's Game_ first, as this book takes place immediately after it, chronologically.

(Zone 7a)

Orson was living here not too far from us when I first heard of him. He was recommended by a local bookstore owner. I really like his work. I met him shortly after that and he;s one of the nicest people.

I'm assuming you've read Bean's story? Ender's Shadow?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Yep, read all the "Ender" series. :-)

I am a Heinlein, Asimov, Bradbury, Ellison, Clarke, Verne, Campbell, McCaffrey (add 20 more to the list) reader. Citizen of the Galaxy, The Cat who walked through walls, Time Enough for Love; DragonRiders series, The Ship who Sang, and I loved Asimov's Tales of the White Hart series.

Kwanjin, I don't know if you have seen AVATAR or not, but a short way into the movie I was poking DH excitedly saying "Oh look, now they have the movie technology to do Pern and do it RIGHT" What a wonderful delight that would be! We call our dragonfly population FireLizard nymphs....grin

Have any of you read the Robert Asprin MYTH or PHULE series? Or Piers Anthony's BLUE ADEPT or XANTH series?

Columbus, OH(Zone 6a)

I read Card's Alvin Maker series, which is set in Ohio River Country in the early 1800s. It's a kind of alternative universe story. One of the characters is a black man who was raised by white pioneers as their own child.

While I was reading these books, an article appeared in our paper about a statue dedication. It was a statue honoring the wife of Lucas Sullivant (early founder of Columbus, Ohio), who adopted a black infant and raised it as her own son. The child even had the same name as Card's character!

I went to Card's web site and asked him if he had based the character Arthur on this Arthur Boke. He wrote back and said it was an amazing coincidence, and that he never thought that such a story could ever really happen.

(Zone 7a)

We don't get out to the movies much. Most of our movie watching gets done at home. So, as a result, I'm far behind on the new ones. I, very much, want to see Avatar. Avatar, The Road, Book of Eli, Legion, Sherlock Holmes and The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus are all on my have-to-see list.

(Zone 7a)

I'm just finishing book 2 of the Plague books. Very good. I'm getting to care quite a bit about the characters. It's going in a direction I didn't anticipate and that's great. Book 3 is waiting in the wings.

Next is The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Again.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

We caught up on Caprica and enjoy it. It does have marvelous production value and actors! I've never watched any of the Battlestar Galactica shows, so the fact that this is a prequel is good. Will I be confused if I rent the original BG and the latest version? The worlds and their inhabitants are all brand new to us!

(Zone 7a)

You will not be confused. I would not recommend watching the old BG unless you like the retro things. The old show has a place in my heart but only because I saw it way back when. If you like the look and story of Caprica, you'll love thenew BG. Lots of very good actors. The story was captivating.

I finished the Plague books. Satisfying. The ending was a little scattered but as a whole it was great. There's room for more story.

Columbus, OH(Zone 6a)

I don't think that watching BG and Caprica at the same time will confuse. Can't guarantee that there won't be some kind of spoilers, but I doubt that will be a problem.

BG is an amazing show. Very moving, and it will keep you guessing to the very end. I wouldn't spend time on old BG unless you enjoy cheesy 70s Sci-Fi. Believe me, it was no Star Trek by any means. :)

I will tell you that the child William Adama in Caprica, grows up to be Bill Adama, commander of Galactica, but you would have figured that out soon enough.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Is the old BG the show that had that furry robotic dog thing?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.