Sci-Fi fans, what are YOU reading or watching?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

DH says yes, named something like "Muffit." He watched the new BG for a while, but says he actually preferred the original BG series.. the new one was more into "gritty realism."

Columbus, OH(Zone 6a)

That's the one. Loren Green (Ben Cartwright) played Commander Adama.

(Zone 7a)

Sorry, I must correct something. The actor's name is Lorne Green. (maybe a typo?) ^_^

I like the old show. Dirk Benedict was a big crush for awhile. The new show does have that realism thing going for it where the old show did the best it could with the resources at hand. Still pretty good for it's time.

Columbus, OH(Zone 6a)

Correct away. I made a boo-boo. :)

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

This is Sci Fi Lite, but we rented and liked a new Bluray with Bruce Willis, called Surrogates. The surrogates are androids ---everyone sits at home, controlling them mentally/ electronically and conducting all their day to day outside life thru the surrogate. There's some action, a murder investigation...a pleasant romp with a futuristic twist.

(Zone 7a)

I heard about that one. Bruce Willis is always fun to watch. I'll have to check it out.

We watched Gamer with Gerard Butler. It's kind of along the same lines as the above movie. A person controls a real person in a video game. It was good in a surreal, twisted sort of way. Watching the bad guy sing and dance to a jazz version of "I've Got You Under MY Skin" was a giggle.

(Zone 7a)

So, my niece called me a couple of days ago and said we HAD to go see Avatar. I said, yes, we do. So, last night, off we went. After about 5 minutes, I was thinking, this is pretty good. After 10 minutes, I was thinking, this is really good. After, 20 minutes, I stopped thinking and FELL IN LOVE WITH THIS MOVIE!!!

I will be recommending this to everyone I see and talk to.

And, to whomever (I can't remember who said it) mentioned that now Anne McCaffrey's Dragonrider movie can now be made? YES!!!

well, if kwanjin likes Avatar....thats good enough for me!

(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Sally. ^_^ I'm curious to know what others think of it. It's quite the adventure.

Depending on how long its in theater--we might have to wait for rental. We're poopy that way. Well, when one pair of seats costs the same as five rentals.. and every body has huge TVs at home these days..
.I don't think anyone has gone and said they did not like it.

(Zone 7a)

I was told by someone else that the story was average. It is, but it's the WAY it's told. The visual's are amazing.

Titanic's story was average too -- but it sure made a splash when it came out.

Har har

(Zone 7a)

LO Really...I laughed out loud. ^_^

Titanic and Avatar are the 2 top grossing movies of all time. Lucky Mr. Cameron.

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

Glad you liked Avatar, Kwanjin. Now you see why i think DR of Pern could actually hit the big screen....grin. I have to believe it was just technology that kept her books from being made into movies...Don't know why The Ship Who Sang hasn't been made into a movie....SYFY channel needs to get cracking....they could make a series from Pern....grin

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I hope the story of Pern makes it to the big screen, not just to Syfy... I haven't seen Avatar yet, but from what I've heard, yes, the special effects could do justice to Ann McC's dragons. :-)

We just rented the first season of "Castle" from NetFlix... we've been totally enjoying it this year but missed its debut... we were amazed that it started out so strong (characters, writing, all of it) in the very first episode, since shows like that often seem to need a few episodes before they hit their stride. (Not sci fi, but still one of our favorite shows of late, and the writing would appeal to any word-smith.)

I do agree. The cast has that same tension/interaction of some of the old hollywood classics...like His Girl Friday with Grant and Russell. I do enjoy Castle and Nathan Fillion is really good in the title roll.

(Zone 7a)

Nathan is good in anything he does.

My husband and I keep trying to think who would be good in the roles of the DRoP. Rachael Weisz is topping our list for Lessa. Sean Bean, Hugh Jackman, Jeremy Irons and Gerard Butler are on our list for Dragonriders.

I would add Eric Bana (Time Traveler's Wife) and Adrian Paul (Highlander) to the list of Riders. I think Charlize Theron would make a great Moreta, but back when I was reading the books, thought Demi Moore would be a choice for Lessa....combination of tough and willful....grin and am kinda leaning toward Gerard Butler and Matt Damon for F'lar and F'nor.....and of course Sean Connery as the Old Rider from the western hold.

Need to read them again...the memory has faded a bit....grin

(Zone 7a)

Oh yeah! Eric Bana is on our list, too. Back in the day, Winona Ryder was our pick for Lessa.

I think of Winona Ryder as "genteel", something Lessa certainly wasn't....Actually, Jessica Alba is probably my first choice these days. Lessa was of short stature, but physically strong and agile...and very stubborn. All characteristics Alba can handle as evinced in Dark Angel. After some thought...Gerard Butler and Eric Bana could pull off being brothers....

Somehow i just don't think anyone would consider asking my opinion on it save here....grin

(Zone 7a)

I didn't think of her. I never watched Dark Angel except a few times.

I need to know what your opinion is! LOL

GRIN....thanks....nice to know it counts somewhere....lol

(Zone 7a)

I just finished Anne McCaffrey's The Skies of Pern. A pretty good story but not enough dragons!

Read on! There are almost enough dragons in the sequels, and even the prequel, Moreta's Ride.

Columbus, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm watching Season One of Torchwood a BBC series which is a spin-off from Doctor Who. It's grittier and more risque than the Good Doctor, but the scripts are great, and John Barrowman (who is also appearing in Desperate Housewives this season) as Captain Jack Harkness is very easy on the eyes!

"It's the 21st Century. This is when everything changes." http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/Torchwood_Season_1/70076093?strackid=4a3a9a6cf8ea1692_0_srl&strkid=1171801560_0_0&trkid=438381

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

We just got that from Netflix and are really enjoying it!

(Zone 7a)

I've watched Torchwood a couple of times and have enjoyed it. I need to look into getting it on DVD.

Our Blockbuster is going out of business now. We're all gonna have to get Netflix...yet another monthly charge!

(Zone 7a)

Yesterday, I started reading ONE by Conrad Williams. Very good, so far...

Gamma rays hit Earth and the survivors cope. Told from the POV of Richard Jane looking for his son and picking up stragglers along the way. My EotW habit is getting it's fix. LOL

I wonder if its our modern equivalent/ angle of survival/ man VS wild. I've always thought coping in the wild was fascinating.

(Zone 7a)

Could be. I'll let you know.

(Zone 7a)

Well...it was a good story, the characters were believable and it moved along nicely. My only complaint was the ending. Somethings were left out that had been made a great deal of earlier.

I am now starting Dies the Fire by R. M. Stirling. Another EotW story with sequels...

Columbus, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm watching the new Doctor Who on BBC America. Anybody else have any thoughts on the good Doctor being played by Matt Smith, now? I'm not really enamored with him and his bowtie and all. Can't see a woman like River Song falling for a face like that - of course she didn't meet him when he had that face, did she?

On the other hand, the kid puts on a grand temper when confronted with a Dalek! (Even when they are rainbow bright)

(Zone 7a)

I have to start watching that. I haven't seen any of them. I do know the face you're talking about, though.

Columbus, OH(Zone 6a)

I just love the new Doctor Who series. If you have Netflix, you can watch all of the new DW shows from 2005 and up on your computer. David Tennant (who played Hamlet on Great Performances a few weeks ago) was a wonderful Doctor! Very good writing too.

Netflix also has a lot of the old DWs from the 60s, 70s, and 80s too, but they feel a little campy and slow compared to the action packed, CGI heavy shows we see now.

(Zone 7a)

I don't have NF. I watched the old Doctor and loved it. Campy and slow is okay by me. Just LIKE me! LOL

(Zone 7a)

Really, REALLY liking Dies the Fire.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Stirling... same author who wrote _Island in the Sea of Time_? If so, I'll have to look for _Dies the Fire_, for sure.

(Island in the Sea of Time is an alternative history story about what happens when the entire island of Nantucket gets caught in some sort of time vortex... it's a really great read, and the sequels are good also!)

(Zone 7a)

That be the one. The title sounded familiar but I don't remember reading the story.

(Zone 7a)

Am now finished with the book. Starting Stephen King's Blockade Billy.

I will be getting the 2 other books from S. M. Stirling that sequel Dies The Fire, The Protector's War and A Meeting At Corvallis. I have been to many of the places that are mentioned in these books. They take place in Oregon. I will also be picking up The Island In the Sea of Time.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.