219 genes make the difference

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

I love mine as well as I got the seeds from Dany. But it is NOT producing seeds at all. Nadda. I'm so bummed. This is one that definitely should be shared. Will be trying more fertilizer in hopes that I get seeds. Dany told me that it was stingy with seed production. He was not kidding when he told me that! (sigh) The nice thing is that it blooms a lot and the color never fades to white. It stays a pale yellow color. Very lovely indeed. :-)

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

beautiful!

szarvas, Hungary

Karen (gardener2005) had a pale yellow too. Maybe another strain, more fertile? It would be interesting to cross!

I wonder what Karen has to say about her cultivar of yellow I. nil vines?

Baton Rouge area, LA(Zone 8b)

My pale yellow showed up in this grow out. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1015262/?hl=kikyo+ten+ten+x+fujishibori

This is a picture of the single yellow flowered vine. http://www.flickr.com/photos/japanesemorningglory_cannalily_sunflower/3821148837/in/set-72157621549428820/ I found this in about 40 something seedlings in the F2. iirc

This year I managed to save seeds from the yellow one and planted some today to see if it would come back. I don`t know what will happen next but will find out.

Karen

Karen - Was your yellow a consistent yellow bloom on the entire vine or was the yellow bloom a mutant on a vine of white blooms?

Mine is consistent pale yellow blooms every bloom on the vine, but NO viable anthers or stigma. Those parts are either brown or missing altogether. So no seed pods are being produced. :-(

I tagged and followed the blooms on that one and it definitely was consistent yellow or yellow tinged at the edges and fertile enough to give me a handful of seeds to experiment with to see if I can raise more of them. The pictures make it look lighter than in was in real life. The seeds are little like the Kikyo Ten Ten but dark like Fujishibori.

Don`t give up on it yet. Just keep checking it each and every morning without fail and it might surprise you by giving you at least some blooms that can take pollen. You might find pollen on one flower and the other part on another flower....on that morning you`d rather sleep in no doubt. lol! Some of those large flower fancy ones are fussy about making seeds too.

Karen

Oh! Absolutely, Karen! I have even tried cross-pollinating it with a speckled blooming vine's pollen, so I am waiting to see if I get lucky!

It is loaded with bloom buds. That's what always frustrates me ... it's a tease to see all those blooms and not a single seed pod developing. They turn yellow and then fall off the vine. Grrrr ...

Karen - Here is a photo of mine with quite a few blooms. It is actually my most lush MG vine currently besides the Yellow Chinese Evening Glory!

The flowers look white, but they are actually pale yellow.

Thumbnail by beckygardener

And here is a close-up of one bloom and you can see the stigma and anthers are brown instead of white like they should be.

Hi Becky, That lovely yellow flowered vine is the large flower variety that is notorious for being fussy about making seeds. Dontcha just hate that?!! I agree...grrr :)

I forgot to mention another one that has problems making seeds is Chachamaru. Why? I`m thinking it may be in the genes and some factors could be environmental.

I did a experiment where I used pollen from the seemingly partly infertile Fujishibori and depollinated a fertile parent vine of my choice. I crossed them and then found out the resulting offspring are more fertile even the speckled ones. indeed they aren`t perfect but I can`t help but notice they are way more fertile.

Karen

This message was edited May 6, 2010 11:33 PM

I had a few blooms that had a white stigma, so attempted to cross them with a smaller speckled bloom. Don't know if it took or not. Time will tell. I'm not getting my hopes up. I also tried to cross it with Sidare (weeping MG). I hope I get at least one or two seed pods from this yellow I. nil vine. But Dany warned me that it was very stingy with seeds. He was only able to send me a couple of seeds, so I knew what I was getting myself into! LOL! It is a really pretty flowering vine though, well worth growing and photographing to remember it by! But I haven't given up either. :-)

Sidare and the speckled blooming vines on the other hand appear to be producing seed pods without difficulty. LOL! I guess you can't always get your way with all of them! ;-)

Hey check this out Karen!

My Sidare appears to be throwing a blizzard gene. I find that rather amusing and desirable in this vine. The blooms are huge, too! I get a kick out of it to see a weeping MG instead of a climber! Fascinating cultivar! Makes me want to cross ALL of my vines with it! Then I could grow them all in hanging baskets! LOL!

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Very nice pale yellow Becky and I like the Sidare too.

This message was edited May 6, 2010 11:47 PM

That`s beautiful Becky! I love your pictures. Night everybody. Karen

Thanks Jackie and Karen! I do like that Sidare a LOT! I'm using that cultivar's pollen on all those vines that seem to be partially sterile. :-)

Nitey, nite!

Norfolk, VA

Do you know of any orange ipomoea nils?

(Zone 7a)

Dany - I have so much enjoyed your threads, which to me are awesome both for beauty and mind-stretching. The best way to approach knowledge is with questions - everyone on this thread has done good.

MGMan - there are Ipomoea nil morning glories that approach orange, like Cinnamon Chocolate. One of EmmaGrace's best series of posts on the rose silks included some, as here - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=3065918 .

Becky and Karen-05 - good work on your grow-outs and crosses

Karen-blue

Tony - I don't believe that there is a "true" orange blooming I. nil cultivar. Some may claim there is, but I'd have to actually grow it and see it with my own eyes before I'd believe it. The only species of MG that I know of with an orange bloom is Ipomoea coccinea ( http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/51759/ ).

(Zone 7a)

Tony, I agree with Becky. There is a world of difference between "approaching" orange and "being" orange. But I'll bet the ones I mentioned above will look just as pretty with the blue of a Salvia guarnitica as a real orange nil would if it existed.

Karen

szarvas, Hungary

It's the same problem with yellow.
No gene to produce caroten, so no yellow and no orange!
http://www009.upp.so-net.ne.jp/green/top.html
click on that : ̉摜 ( second place )

year 2005 page 4 ,an NOID hybrid with some orange color.
p.s.: i luv the little blue ,year 2004 page 2.

Peach MG exist yet.

Thumbnail by dany12
(Zone 7a)

Dany, it won't scroll beneath 9/15/06 for me, plus the capacity for Japanese characters on my 'pooter got wiped out by a crash. But, I'd love to see what you're referring to. Help?

(When I re-install the Japanese characters, I'll post how to do it, in case others might like to know.)

Karen

(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Dany - wonderful site - will return later tonight

(To anyone else on my level of dummy-hood - try clicking on those horizontal tabs, and I'm guessing that Dany clicked on www.google.com and from there found google's translator feature that let's you translate a whole web page (and/or whole web site?) at a time)

Karen

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.