Wilfred's Desert Rose Chatters in February

Fort Lauderdale, FL

MyaC, great pictures of your DR, I'm curious as to how old are the seedlings in the second post? Melissa, I have the same problem but only in the seedlings I put in a "plastic"pot, I've come to the conclusion that while it may look very dry on the surface, it must be soggy deeper down. Maybe I ought to up end one and see if that a factor! And it is strange how seeds from the same pod grow differently, some tall and skinny, some developing a bit of a caudex right away, and some just seem to be hanging on for dear life, yet, all are treated the same. Yea, they sure teach me patience, and also make me experience frustration. Jim (hey, why did you stop writing your name after your posts? Wilfred taught you better LOL ^_^

Christiansted, VI(Zone 11)

If you get a packet of any kind of seeds, they will not all be exactly alike, will they? Some more vigorous, and maybe even a mutant.

But DRs seem to be even more variable, as 'older' plants. I don't mean the guys that'r five years and more. Just the babies.

Mya, is that a Wallabie in your first photo? A cutie!

MELISSA! (lol)

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

Beautiful Pictures.

Magnetic Island, Australia(Zone 11)

Quoting:
MyaC, great pictures of your DR, I'm curious as to how old are the seedlings in the second post?

Hi Jim:The rains started about 3 weeks ago,so they must be coming along to about a month now........I always presoak my seeds that I get from Thailand for 24 hours and they seem to germinate within a day.The bigger DR that have pods on ,I just allow the seeds to float and they seem to germinate where ever they land,although this only happens in our wet season.

Quoting:
Mya, is that a Wallabie in your first photo? A cutie!

Hi Melissa: That's a fake possum,the real possums eat all my Brugmansias and anything else that isn't netted BUT they leave my DR alone,even the seedlings.....go figure!!!!!!
Cheers All Mya

Fort Lauderdale, FL

One month! Wow, I wonder if it's your soil or the weather? Mine are about that big after three months. Oh forget my question on the other thread, now I know they are from Thailand. You must not have black birds there, I had a whole tray eaten by black birds the day after they sprouted, I've since learned to cover them when I take them out in the direct sun, so far I haven't lost any to birds. Have you heard from Wilfred lately? Jim

Fort Lauderdale, FL

I'm pretty sure that Wilfred doesn't soak his seeds, but it will be interesting to hear what he has to say about it. I think maybe next time I'm going to try that, at least with a few seeds. One day to germinate! Fantastic! Mine take a week to fifteen days, I gotta try your method. Jim

When I was in grade school we had a project to see how many hours would be the best to soak seeds for sprouting/growing, it was four hours. That is enough to get the seed all the way soaked, any longer and they go on toward drowning. I read some place to soak DR seed two hours.

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Melissa,(is that you^_^) So, your saying you soak your desert rose seeds? Jim Oh, and good morning!

Good Morning, Jim, From Melissa, :)

I followed Wilfred's directons, but the weather here didn't, they got well watered every day in short heavy rain showers that came by on sunny days.

So maybe the DRs that I have are swamp DRs!

I might soak for two hours the next time I try some seeds. And I will make a little glass roof for the pot!!!

I haven't asked for seeds, and I still need to fiddle with the seedlings he grew and sent me, get the last few into their own pots. I am an early bird and my nursery doesn't open until 10 am. I am usually off doing something else by then.

Thumbnail by Molamola
Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Jim I am like you, I never soaked my seeds and they took at least 8 to 10 days or not at all, so the next ones I get (if I get any more) I will soak them at least a couple of hours, I also came across an article when I was checking the Web that some people plant the seeds standing up, not layin down, may try a few that way also.
I wish they grew a little faster, mine have hardly grown at all, but they are healthy.

Doris

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Doris, I have great hope for some of my "dark knights" they seem to be doing exceptionally well, time will tell. Melissa, if that one you posted is an example of your swamped ones, I wish mine were swamped, it looks very healthy and strong. I have clear plastic domes for my seedlings that came with the trays I bought long ago, it was a good investment as I use them over and over again, finding a place for them when not in use is another matter, my front porch looks like a hobo camp with all the pots domes and litter. Neighbors come to sit and chat and have to move stuff around and make snide remarks about the why of my obsession with desert rose. On the other hand, they don't hesitate to ask me for some AFTER I get them to a certain height.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Jim, I am so happy your's are doing good, someof mine are also, and I am hoping to see, when they bloom if they are the same, and if I got what I paid for, but as long as they get to bloom I will be happy.
I purchased five 'special' seeds from Cal. last week, they haven't arrived yet, it's called Mohasimbat, it's supposed to be a double.

Doris

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Doris, is it your intention to keep them in pots? Or do you see yourself ever planting them in the ground? I have one side of my drive way lined with D.R. that I bought, I'd like to do the other side with ones I've started with seeds, but it takes sooooo long to get them to an acceptable height. Jim

Hobo Camp Jim, that's your new name! LOL

The most recent photo is from a big DR that I have. No babies blooming yest, erghh.

Fort Lauderdale, FL

OK, I can accept hobo camp if you will accept "no name Melissa" ^_^, oh gotta run and pick up the kid from work. "Jim".

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Jim no way can I put mine in the ground as I would have to dig them up in the fall it gets to cold in my zone, I will keep the nice healthy ones in pots, some I will give away.

Doris

Funny, eh, Doris? He didn't look at your location.

Melissa

Oh, everybody, there might be a format change here before too long, just to warn you.

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Hey what's your name^_^ want to give us a hint as to what kind of change to expect? I hope it's for the better but I don't see how or what needs improvement, I HATE CHANGE. Jim

I have asked Michael, the much besieged new owner-guy to suggest a forum that's using his "vForum" system. I'll let you know when he does.

Few hate change more that I. I cannot go back to many places that I've loved because they've been bulldozed and buried under shopping malls and such.

Boy, the Montserrat Volcano dust is thick here today. nasty stuff.

Whowho

Goodness, Top Tropicals has a nice lot of Desert Rose photos, but none in stock!

http://toptropicals.com/cgi-bin/garden_catalog/cat.cgi?uid=adenium_sp

OK, here's what a post looks like in the "vForums" style. (That's not the name, but it's something like that, vSomething)--

http://files.vbulletin.com/images/cart/screenshots/vertical.png

And here's what the forum page would look like---

http://files.vbulletin.com/images/cart/screenshots/CMS_home.png

Some clutter, but OK. You just have to do a little squinting at the pages at first to get used to them. My Guppy fish forum uses this style.

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Oh Boy, "a little squinting", that's a bit of an understatement, I'll have to get to the dollar store to get stronger reading glasses. I prefer it the way it is, but I know I don't count. Guess all I can do is wait and see (no pun intended) Jim

Hum, someone suggested a cruise ship site, and I find it is real bad, ouch, I won't link that one, it might not be correct. But maybe a subscription would be gentler on us.

O-W's-H-N

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

If you haven't seen this site yet it's well worth reading, you find out that DRs need more water than you think, as they are not true dessert flowers,

http://www.adenium.tucsoncactus.org/large.html

Jim you may not be giving too much water. *S* did you get new glasses.

Doris

Wow! Thanks, Doris!

They are succulents, not cactus, hey?

Some amazing photos on that site, I am still reading...

Aha, the article says a balanced fertilizer, 10-10-10 sort of numbers...

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I always use Miracle Grow in a weak mix. for all my plants seems to work OK, but I have been keeping my seedlings (DR) on the dry side so maybe need more water.

Doris

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Wow Doris, that's unbelievable! He says fig 2 is a "cutting", did you notice the caudex on it? I put it in favorite places and will refer to it again and again. Oh, I cam up blank when I googled "Ball Mix", Coir I have already, and know where to get what ever else he talks about. But Doris, he did mention over watering at a particular time can cause root rot. I just find it difficult to believe he gets that kind of growth in such a short time. Jim

Fort Lauderdale, FL

I forgot to tell ol what's her name that it's 20-20-20^_^, now who needs new glasses? JIM

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I think the overwatering he refered too is while they are dormant.

Fort Lauderdale, FL

I'm not sure mine ever go dormant! Maybe for a week or two in Jan, but I don't water them then anyway. I was very interested in his claiming they should be re-potted often. I'm not sure if mine are ready to come out of the three in pots yet, they are sooo small, but who knows maybe the 3'pots are the problem huh?

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

How often does he say they should be repotted?

Fickle plants, hey?

Fort Lauderdale, FL

He simply says they should be re potted "frequently" until they reach the desired height! But he also says over potting (which I assume means too large a pot) is the main cause of root rot. Jim

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

In my opinion I think the 'repotting often 'is in reference to getting a large plant,and allowing the roots to come up more each time, I will need to read his advice often to know exactly what he means, I have not repotted my two main plants since I got them, over 4 years ago, but I realy need to do that after they are out of dormancy as they are getting to big for their pots *S*

Doris

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Melissa, whats your understanding of re potting often? Jim

Arlington, TX

I put mine into a pretty tight fitting pot as I read somewhere it was better for them regarding getting too much water. Now I wonder.
C

i wouldn't repot more than once a year.

Or maybe twice if you believed it necessary... like for a smaller plant that's growing quickly.

Fort Lauderdale, FL

None of mine grow what I would call Quickly, I guess I will just wait and see how crowded they look in the 3"pots, I think common sense will tell me when it's time to replant. I do agree with him saying not to use too big a pot, I've learned from experience (the best way to learn) that it is difficult to control watering in too large a pot and I did end up with root rot.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

For me I like the short, larger, bowl type that gives the roots room to spread, that is after they get large enough to put in a pot by themselves.

Doris

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.