Wilfred's Desert Rose Chatters in February

Christiansted, VI(Zone 11)

I think the thing to do is to let them get fairly dry, but not completely dry while they're full of leaves and growing and hopefully blooming.

Fort Lauderdale, FL

The plant that Wilfred sent me with the three pods on it lost all it's leafs, it's still in the plastic pot that he sent it to me in, I noticed this morning that it has new buds forming. I had just about given up hope, now I think I will wait till it looks a bit healthier and re pot it in a clay pot. He said that this particular plant has produced a lot of pods for him. I just want to get one darned pod so I can claim to know how to do it. After that I will move on to another plant, but still tend my baby's till they mature a bit. Jim

LOL. I've read that some set seed easily, and some don't. And I've read that some go dormant, and some don't.

Howzat?

O-W's-H-N

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Way back when----My original question was how do you tell a male from a female plant, now, after reading that guys article I still would like to get an answer, according to him they are male and female, so I can't just go willy nilly trying to breed females to females or males to males. At least I have something to blame my in-effectiveness at pollinating on ^_^ Jim

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

hahaha Jim, I have come to the conclusion that they can be both, no way to tell which is which, maybe
Molamol has some idea's

Doris

Papayas have male and female, but DRs don't. I think it's a matter of genes, some are fickle and contrary, and some are just naturally gregarious.

The Asians talk about some varieties being better pollinators, and some that never produce seeds when used as pollinators. And some that are so-so.

Just different strokes, not different sexes.

??? Never know about them Asians...

Ole What's Her Name

Arlington, TX

Odd posts here. Plants do crazy things when it comes to sexual reproduction. It does truely depend on the species and I supose the variety maybe. Some plants are either male or female and produce such flowers. Some plants produce male and female flowers on the same plant and many plants produce flowers with both male and female (egg and sperm). Given how the posting went about producing seeds, I think you can take the pollen (sperm) from one flower on the plant and put it onto the stigma (female receptor) on the same plant. They make perfect flowers, both male and female. I am not sure what it is about them that makes pollination difficult on the same plant. I would need to read or take a closer look at their flowers to see why they don't self pollinate easily. I suspect they do to some extent though. Or, am I just really tired and this is not what these posts were about at all. Maybe it's the margarittas at the super bowl party. If so appologies in advance.
C

C, Newton's, Desert Roses are weird plants. The more I learn about them, the weirder they seem.

The plants do have perfect flowers, but need a specific sort of pollinator (named Wilfred) not unlike Vanilla and other plants. My honey bees go down into other flowers that are shaped almost the same, see from a distance, but they don't go into DR blooms. One lady in Ohio or someplace commented that her potted DRs that she sets outside for the summer set seed, she has a pollinator insect! No idea what it could be, and I didn't write down her name.

Some DRs have more viable pollen. The Asians will keep one kind, or one plant, to use to pollinate all their "mama" plants. They say in their catalogues if a plant will be a good pollinator for other DRs, or if it won't set seed.

There seems to be more variation in this plant group, I'm thinking because they're not cactus, and not really succulents, either. The leaves are thin and leathery. I just read that they're a tropical plant that managed to adapt to a changing environment, they can tolerate dryness, but actually enjoy moisture. That article says, for maximum size, grow them using hibiscus culture for the first two or more years!

I've read someone comment that they are being madly propagated by the thousands in Florida. If you look at nurseries that carry them, they're chronically out. of stock.

There's one in a yard here that blooms in flushes constantly, it looks like an azalea!

In pots, a main problem seems to be the bottom inch or so that retains too much moisture, causing poor air circulation and rot.

OK, I'm going out to check on my DRs! see you-all again soon,

Melissa, aka Molamola, aka coconut

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Newtons3rd, your on the right track, I asked the question again only because the article some one posted above again mentioned male and female desert roses! Last year when I first got hooked on them I asked then how to tell the difference, after awhile it seemed that it didn't matter. Now again after reading that article it seems that if I could tell the difference I'd stand a better chance at hand pollinating. I knew from growing papaya that it does make a difference (You must have a male and a female tree) Since Wilfred sent me a plant that had three pods on it, I can assume the plant is a female, he also said it had produced many pods for him, so my intention is to try and keep that one and pollinate it with some or all of my others which I presume are males since I have no success getting them to produce pods. Maybe I should just import some oleander moths and let them do the job for me^_^ Jim

OK, here's a quote for you---

"Dormancy is often signalled by a sudden yellowing and dropping of most or all of the leaves. Some weeks before this occurs you may notice a significant decline in water consumption."

Umm, how do I notice a decline in water consumption!???

"Groan", Melissa

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Maybe the water stays in the soil longer,

Fort Lauderdale, FL

I think it will burp if it gets too much water^_^ Jim

Well, yes, but how do you tell? I guess by one of those moisture gizmos?

More technology that I have to buy, hey?

Melissa

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I think my plants were looking bad because I didn't water them enough. They look better since I watered them good. I think I have my soil drainage a little too good!

Arlington, TX

My point was they are not seperate male and female plants. Their flowers appear to be "perfect" to me which means they have both male and female structures. Once again plants do it all. Some can be pollinated by a flower on the same plant, some cannot. I am going to give this a try with the desert rose. I suspect they can if you can do as W does and act like a pollinator. I also read that through lots of selective breeding, some varieties are not very seed producing. Who would have thought I would be thinking about sexual reproduction in plants today! All this depends on the species in question and there seems to be some doubt as to exactly how these plants "do it" LOL. Take care all its back to teaching biology today and oddly enough we are starting photosynthesis tomorrow. ( :
C

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Hellooooo to every one! I have to LOL sometimes with you all, always trying to figure out what DRs are and how they work, just enjoy them for what they are.

One question. What is the name of the biggest pot a DR can be planted in? I'll give you a hint, its the one that has many plants types planted in it. Will give answer latter if no one knows.

DR are like any other plant or living thing, some are fertile and some are sterile, same as humans. some need hardly any help in pollinating them , some need a little more help to pollinate and some no matter what you do won't pollinate at all, it all has to do with the plants genetic structure. I've have pollinated lots of DR through the years and notice that some will produce pods with up to 75 or more seeds in them and other with only one or two seeds in them, usually the prettier one are the ones that produce less seeds. that's why they graft them on to year old seedlings.

What you use as potting soil is what makes the difference in how much you water your DRs since some potting mix tend to dry out faster than others and the pot you use also influence in how fast the mix dry out also, I prefer the clay pot since they help the soil mix to dry out evenly top and bottom almost at the same rate. its better to have a soil that dries faster than one that takes to long to dry out.

Sudden change in weather or amount of sunlight can cause leaves to turn yellow and fall off, even though I live in the tropics, I've been experiencing lots of temp. changes in the past few moths, one day 85*F and the next day 65*F than again goes up 75*F than back down to 60* and than back up to 90*F, weather has been a real mess this year over here and my DRs are having a hard time copping with it, some have lost lots of leaves while others haven't, seems like some are more resistant then others.

You can repot a DR as soon as they have germinated in fact that's when you least do damage to the root since its so small at that time, just have to make a small little hole in the potting mix and place it in gently, remember only to put the roots in the hole and not the plant itself.

Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP

Whoa, that's a beauty! Nice to hear from you, Wilfred.

Yes, everyone's sure excited about these plants, hey?

The Dave of Dave's Garden has left. The website was sold, like businesses get sold, and he was out of work. Or, like me, Wilfred, did you know there's a Real Dave, unlike the Mrs. Smith of Mrs. Smith's Pies? I have been yakking here for a year or two, not knowing that there is a real Dave.

This Dave's Garden might change some, but it won't stop.

So, we'd like to see you on this other place, but it's OK if you just stay here. I'm not leaving here.

Nice to see you! We miss you when you don't post seven or eight times every day!

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Melisa I'll send you and Jim an D-mail soon with a private e-mail I use sometimes, it belongs to a friend but I use it, for some reason mine is having some trouble right now, I might have to create a new one if I can't fix it.

Would like to know why Dave sold his site in the first place to these money hungry companies who only think about money and what they can get out of it. If I had a sit like this one there wouldn't be sold to no one or company for any amount of money, to bad I don't know how to make one and to bad Dave sold his as he thought of every thing that people like and its easy to use.

Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP

Well, from what I understand, Dave sold the site three years ago, but was able to write in the contract that he'd keep control. So we know nothing about that sale.

The new owners had resources to be able to better run a big website. We have no idea how much work goes into a big and busy website like this one. I'm sure Dave got a some cash (he has a lot of children, they're expensive!) plus a salary. I do not know this, but I figure it's true. I don't blame him at all.

But the company sold this site to a bigger company, and didn't tell him, nor did they tell the new company anything about keeping Dave. Dave tried to negotiate, but wasn't satisfied, so he is now just a member like we are.

I hope his new place is successful, and he's said he will never sell it! The hollering and squalking has been ferocious, on the forum here where they've been discussing all this. Well over a thousand posts in just a few days.

So, the one thing you can count on in Life is changes.

Enjoy yourself, ----and oh! I really like the pale, pale pink. I almost bought one here, but I didn't as I have plenty DRs now, or do I? They're as bad as orchids! "One is too many, and 1,000 is not enough?

Melissa

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Isn't it great to hear from W again? I should have read this post b-4 I posted on the other site. Now he should have two invites huh? Jim,
Oooh, I noticed you put your name after the post huh, afraid Wilfred will jump on you right.,^_^

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

Maybe, he has three????

My name is Melissa, on my birth certificate.

LOL

Thumbnail by Molamola

Love that iguana, I used to have one. I loved her. she got pretty good size.
That one is going up after the fruit in that tree. I Thank you. It's beautiful.
Charleen

Fort Lauderdale, FL

I'm told they are very tasty^_^ Jim

Jim, you want to eat that iguana. They carry Salmonella.
You have to wash up after you handle them. But they sure are interesting creatures.
you should have seen my Baby eat Watermelon, she loved it.
Charleen

Fort Lauderdale, FL

They eat not only watermelon, but every flower in a garden, they are not much appreciated here in S.Florida, our last cold spell seems to have killed off most of them, now dogs are getting sick and dieing because they find and chew on the dead ones laying around. Oh, but I think your talking about a "Pet" right? Just please, after it gets large and snaps, don't release it in Florida.

They are wild here. There were two in the ratty old orange tree, the bigger one chased the smaller one away. They're amazingly agile! I want a screen house for my vegetable garden... I read they can live to be 65 years old!

I gave mine to my nephew, she has since died, but I sure wouldn't let her go. The reason I knew mine was a female, she had laid eggs. Talk about surprize-I was. they must be like chickens, They don't need a rooster to lay eggs. I saw the You-tube of the poor old iguanas falling out of the trees. That is what they were doing, climbing to eat oranges.
When she ate watermelon, it was so funny. She chomped into that watermelon and had the juices running down her chin. She nearly needed a bib. It was funny. I bet they could dig into a screen house with the toe-nails ,they got.
Charleen

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Good morning all, we here in S.Florida are going to get another cold snap, going down to 38 tonight and continued cold for the week. I have to bring all my D.R. inside as well as my pitcher plant, it's a chore, and I just know some one will knock over a tray or two of potted plants. I'm considering deep watering the stuff in the ground, it seems to have helped last time. Jim

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Jim your lucky, we had 3" of snow on the ground Sat, now we have another 5" and it is still snowing, this is when I am glad ALL my plants are in the house.

Doris

What a winter! That's why I don't live in Florida, tho I like the state.

OOPS! >>> Melissa.

This message was edited Feb 9, 2010 11:19 AM

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

OK Now, I just got 5 new seeds from Cal. and the directions for planting said to place seeds in a wet paper towel, folded over for at least two hours, pour water over the soil, let drain well, plant the seed and cover lightly, so that is what I am doing with these seeds, these are Siam Violet.

Doris

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Doris, I find that the "cover lightly" was always my problem. No deeper then the depth of the seed it's self. The only potting soil I could find that wasn't already wet or damp was at Home Depot, they had it on the back of the rack where they had the seeds, it's really dry and very fine;using that was the first time I had success. The soil that I laid the seed in I pre soaked and that worked for me. Aren't some of the ones you sent me Siam Violet? Jim

Palmetto Point, Bahamas

Like Wilfred, I find that my DR plants are very sensitive to changes in temperature. When we had a cold snap here in the Bahamas right after Christmas, almost all the leaves on my DR's turned yellow and started dropping off. I was afraid they had been permanently harmed. But now, little over a month later, they are blooming like crazy. I'd send pix but I've lost the SD card for my camera.

Kay (so I don't get in trouble with the posting police)

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Mooshkadoo, don't think I've seen you here B-4, welcome. No posting cops here ^_^, all good folks who just like to see pictures of our progress (or lack thereof) Jim

Magnetic Island, Australia(Zone 11)

Melissa great link,thanks for showing it to us,I knew I was doing the right thing by watering my DR twice a day............
This is my Optimizer seedling, flowering only after 8 months,fab colour.........
Mya

Thumbnail by MyaC
Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Jim your right some seeds I sent you are Siam Violet, only two of mine from that order came up so I ordered 5 more seeds.

Doris

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

What might be perfect for one person may not be for another, beautiful DRs you have Mya. your soil mix looks more sandy and loose which means it doesn't hold water for to long so watering them twice a day would be good for you but for a person who has a soil mix type that retains too much moisture that would be deadly for their DRs, and temperature plays a big roll also, warmer weather, more water and colder weather less water. Seems you have the perfect soil mix and weather for your DRs to be able to water them twice a day.
Oh, BTW Mya, you ask me if I pre-soak my DR seeds before planting them, the answer is no, never would do that since one can lose the seeds to rot before they had a chance to germinate, I tried it once and that's what happen, seeds were too wet before they had a chance to root, DR seeds are not like many other types of seeds as the shell absorb water very fast and hold it like a sponge and that's why I only water them the one time when I plant them and mist the top if it get to dry after that.

Kay, I was wondering what happen with you since the last time, also I was wondering did any of the cutting I gave you survive the trip to your home in the Bahamas, and did you finally get the neem oil you needed for your hibs, let me know what results you got out of using it on them.

Ronald, I'll be sending you some more DR seeds by tomorrow, seems you had the same problem as the others I sent seeds to the same day, I won't give up on you germinating some DRs as Jim did, it just takes a little time to master it. As I said before, this is a learning process, not all get it the first time they try, in a matter of fact it took me several tries before I got it right.

Lori, same as Ronald, I will be sending you more seeds tomorrow, I will keep trying to help you till you get it right also.

Charleen, have to say I'm with Jim on the iguana subject, would like to see them gone from the island also, they have become a really really bad problem for our agriculture here, they seem to eat every thing we plant here, we have the by the hundred thousands here. and each one lays around 60 eggs or more a year, I would send them all back to Panama were they have their natural predator, the native who eat them, they call them tree chickens as that's what they say it taste like, BTW, they stink worse then dead rats when they die and start to discompose.

Jim and Melissa, have to thank you both for encouraging the rest of my friends on not giving up and for the info you share with the rest of use, you both have come a long way since last August 2009 when I first meet you both on my first thread I posted on this forum by chance on the 4th of July 2009 when some one from the hibiscus forum whose name is Dave ask me to after I explain to him on how to get seed pods from the DRs. plants.

Doris and Jennifer were the first two person I sent an D-mail On this forum, BTW, Doris did the seeds I sent you germinate for you. and how about you Jennifer, did you have any luck germinating them.

To those who wright there name after each post, thank you very much since it make it easier for me when directing an answer or note to them when I read the post they right,

Take Care To All, Till Later,
Your Friend Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP

Hi, Wilfred, nice to hear from you!

Mya, eight months to all those flowers?? wow!

Melissa

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Good morning all, Wilfred It's great to see you back. I can't help but wonder how many seed pods you have? You've given so many and are still at it, your a wonder. Jim

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.