Wilfred's Desert Rose Chatters in February

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Good morning Wilfred, sorry to say I did not have any luck with the seeds you sent, I am conviced it is because of the time it takes from the seed pod to the actual planting of the seed, or maybe the change of climate while it is traveling, I only planted 6 of my own seeds and 4 of them popped up, although I did have 15 seeds from Thialand,some I sent to Jim, and some of those are doing good,they were wrapped in bubble wrap and a padded envelope so that may have helped, I will keep trying because now they have become a challenge *S*

Doris

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10b)

Glad to see you back Wilfred!

I soaked my seeds before planting the first time, but just planted them the second time. My first seeds rotted, so maybe soaking isn't a good idea. If I soaked again, I would use dilute hydrogen peroxide. Although I am new at this and not very successful, so who knows.

ridesredmule, your seedlings are cute. Hope they keep growing.

I am perpetually short of pots and use anything that holds dirt during seed sowing season. I spent time in Puerto Rico for work. I understand how difficult it can be to find things on an island. Maybe you can find concrete planters? Or try making your own hypertufa/papercrete/concrete pots? I remember that concrete is pretty common for construction, especially in PR. You may have to be careful with salts/chemicals leaching from the concrete. You could seal them, but then they wouldn't be porous anymore. I remember a restaurant that had placed cinder blocks sideways, painted them white and planted flowers in them. It was so pretty, I was surprised to find out it was cinder blocks.

Lori aka Andi aka Woof...to the dog who wants to go out and play in the snow again

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Hi to all, Jim I only have 32 pods left on my plants, had more than 75 pods at one time though, I just pick from the plants 7 pods yesterday before yesterday which produced 370 seeds between them and I already mailed 100 of them to a friend and going to mail 200 more today to two more friend today and still have 70 seeds left and I pick two more pods today. so imagine how many seeds I've have picked from my plants in the last 6 month and given out, I would say more than 2,000 seeds. I'm planing to give the plants a rest of producing seed after they finish what they have on them so after these are gone there won't be seeds for a while.

Doris I'll send you some more seeds from the plant you wanted when it get more pods on it, for some reason the two seed pods it had didn't produce seeds in them and fell off before time, will pollinate it again for you to see if it produces seeds, another one I have produce two seeds from a big seed pod and the two seeds didn't look good at all, I planted them anyway but don't think they will germinate. seems these plant produce less seeds than the others do.

Your Friend Wilfred

BTW, just to let you know I didn't sleep Monday after I came from work at 4:00am since I had to take my boy to school and when I came back just kept working in the patio until it was time to pick him up again from school at 2:00pm, came home again and kept working in the patio until 1:30am since I was off yesterday ( Tuesday ) and got up today ( Wednesday ) at 8:00am with a cold and one heck off a headache, seems I abused my immune system a little, I just hope I recover fast from it since I still have a lot to do around here. Have to get ready at 12:00n to leave at 1:00pm to get my boy at school to take him to his grandma's house and from there to I go to my job until 4:00am tomorrow. still have an hour to work in the patio, till later.

Thumbnail by WQP
Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Lori , We have no problems getting clay pots here in Puerto Rico, its Melissa who's having problem getting cheap clay pot in St. Croix and I think Kay who lives in the Bahamas too. We much can get anything like any of the states now even though more costly because of the shipping over seas.

Your Friend Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP
Christiansted, VI(Zone 11)

Wilfred, you're working yourself into the ground! Please get more sleep and rest!

Will post tonight when I have more time, gotta run!

Mm

Hammond, LA(Zone 8b)

Wilfred, are you talking to this Jennifer? If so then yes! I planted about 10 and have 7 that are going strong and are each about 4-6". I will post pictures when I get home : )

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I don't know why, but none of the photos enlarge when I click on them now. I thought paid members got to see the large photos!

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

echinaceamaniac, they are supposed to come up in the size the owner put in.sometimes they don't change but most of the time they do.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Wilfred that would be great on the seeds, thank you.
This is a picture of 2 of the Silver Pearl seeds I planted last Monday, I planted 5, and there is another one peeking out, these were from Thialand and were larger than any other seeds I have had.
they are called Silver Pearl, be interesting to see how they bloom.

Thumbnail by kareoke
Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Now why didn't the picture show?

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Seems they are already changing something here, I'm having the same problem also with all the photos even the one's I posted, I thought it was my PC but after Clint posted having the same problem it seems to be Dave's Gardens new administration messing things up for us, way to go like always, money hungry companies finds something good and they figure out how to mess it up real fast in no time. If this keeps up this sight will no longer exist in no time. Hope Dave makes his new sight better than this one and as easy to use like this one was before the new owners started messing with it.

I just hope this is a temporary problem their having and not a stander.

Wilfred

Thanks for the link!

This message was edited Feb 11, 2010 10:36 AM

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Wilfred, at first I hated the new site, took me about two week to learn how to navigate around it, now I find myself on that site way more then Dave's Garden, if you decide to go on, don't get frustrated, it's a great site. ^_^ Jim

Fort Lauderdale, FL

If there is anything else I can help with just yell, either here or there^_^ Jim

Thanks, Jim!

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Well I don't know whats going on, first time I have posted a picture and it didn't show, will have to think twice about renewing here

Doris

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Doris, there is always the Caudiciforms forum ^_^ Jim

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Hey look at that, the picture came up.

Doris

Well, lemme try a photo---

One funny thing, Dave is a writing and words person. He said when he first started DG, he made one file and put ALL the photos in that file. What a total mess!!!

Picture of a sunset---

Thumbnail by Molamola

And it enlarged when I clicked it.

Sometimes when the WebMaster is fiddling with something, the site goes wankers for an hour or two. I am SURE the new people want to keep this baby well and happy.

I wonder how much they paid for it? A LOT I bet!

Dave is trying now to build something much bigger and broader that only gardening.

I know you don't have any time now-a-days to just fiddlefaddle on a computer. I can show you in an hour what you need to know to be OK with posting, both hibiscus and desert roses, and whatever else.

Two big problems there is that there are no Plant Files, and no search engine, Dave doesn't know how to 'do' a search engine. That might be why he sold in the first place, as well as having four children.

OK, later!

Melissa

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

It is a Beautiful Picture. I enlarged it too. Really beautiful, Melissa.
We miss you Wlfred. Who's going to help us plant Desert Rose seed Correctly.
Charleen

LOL, Charleen, I don't know if his directions can be explained more. Or have you read that looonnnggg thread?

I'm finding changes here, such as on our personal profile, we can put in tag words. And there's a site link to buy Dave's Garden Tshirts and other stuff.

We should all chip in monies every week so Wilfred can quit his job and take care of our questions! lol Wish I was filthy rich, I'd hire him...

Mm

Palmetto Point, Bahamas

Hi, Wilfred, great to see you back. I wanted to thank you again for the seeds and the cuttings. Of all the cuttings, only the justicias seem to be living, and they have nice, tiny new green leaves. I have 4 babies from the DR seeds, so I'm trying to take very good care of them. I'm not sure what I did wrong with the cuttings, but it definitely wasn't your fault. I wanted to take photos to show you which of the justicias were thriving, but I apparently left my SD photo card in the States. I have my camera here but no way to take photos. I'm making another trip to the States in late March, so I'll retrieve the card then and hopefully will have significant new growth by the time I return.

Thanks again, Wilfred. You're so kind to help all of us.

Kay

Orangeburg, SC

Hi, Wilfred. I just wanted to let you know that I just received my seeds. We may be having our blue moon snow this weekend, so it will be a perfect time to plant them (indoors, of course). I'm praying that I'm successful this time. Otherwise, I'd have to settle for seedlings. LOL. Thanks again. I'll send you a d-mail when I mail my package to you early next week.

Deborah

I will keep coming here as long as they have the plant files. I think there is room on the internet for multiple garden sites. I do like the idea of the other site as well. Sites like this depend on the people. Some of my favorite people are on both sites! Others who left this site for personal reasons are on the other. I suspect many of us will be on both!

The bf is a computer database programmer. He complains about server reboots, batch processing, tech things, etc. I bet the problems are temporary as the company changes programming or moves things to other servers. The new company probably has a larger tech staff, maybe they will improve the tech side of things. Who knows.

I have another new seedling. They look very tiny and spindly, hope they aren't weeds.

Fort Lauderdale, FL

That's great D.G. I'm doing both sites also, wouldn't leave this one because this is where Wilfred is. Difficult to understand how you are able to get those seedling to germinate living where you do, and I had such a difficult time here in sunny Brrrr Florida. Good luck with them. Jim

They are not germinating well for me, yet. I am a novice. I have them in the south window with supplemental light on timers and a heating mat. I had spent time in Puerto Rico, Florida and other places for work. I fell in love with tropical plants and am trying to grow a few to "warm up" my garden/home here. With determination and luck, they survive the winters inside and thrive on the patio in summer.

It is quite cold and blustery here today as well.

Garden, umm?? Andi? There are banana plants that will survive where you are, if nurtured! Can't get much more tropical than a banana! Melissa

I hadn't thought of growing a banana plant. I will have to learn more about them.

Palmetto Point, Bahamas

Hey, GardenQuilts, I've always wanted to learn how to make those planters you mentioned -- the ones with concrete, which, as someone else pointed is, is available on our island, while ready-made pots are not. Do you have the "recipe" for the pots or know how I could search for it?

Barnesville (Charle, GA(Zone 8b)

Hate to barge in but I believe the forum has a Hyperturfa forum , You could check there to see if they make the pots you need.
Charleen

See if this helps
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/hypertufa/all/

This message was edited Feb 14, 2010 4:31 PM

Charleen, Barging does not exist here. Meaning you're quite welcome to join in the conversation.

Thanks for the link.

Melissa

This message was edited Feb 15, 2010 3:53 AM

Hello Everyone. I was wondering if ZZ Plant (Zamioculcas Zamiifolia) is a Caudiciform. It can be raised somewhat out of the pot too. This is one of my favorite plants. It's so easy to grow. Any of you growing these?

Fort Lauderdale, FL

I'm not Clint, but I hope you post a picture of yours so we can see what one looks like Jim

BROOKFIELD, Australia

Quote from Molamola :
Don't use Spray-N-Grow! Waaaa.

It's absolutely wonderful for every other plant I've ever grown. But DRs are really different that any plant I've ever grown.

These were sprayed a week ago. Three in clay pots are 'store bought'. Them in the black pot are a lot happier, they're from Wilfred.

I have only recently repotted mine. Probably did everything wrong, but it appears happy. Recently moved from Qld back to Vic, so the winter will be the tell all. I don't have luck with getting it to flower, but leaves are the right colour when they come through. I just use a liquid fertiliser Seasol made from seaweed - either by spray on leaves or water with it - but I use the same on all my plants. I am a plantaholic, and have a rang of plants, but not an expert in any way shape or form.

A lot I have had to resurrect, as when we arrived in early November, the pots arrived soggy and mouldy after three days in a truck with no light, and weeks in supposedly a shadehouse being taken care of!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.