A little more information about Adenium care

Christiansted, VI(Zone 11)

This is from the Top Tropicals site. They have lots of photos, but none for sale!!! Here's a big hole in the market! Too bad it takes so durn long for these babies to grow. OK, what they say:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TopTropicals.com

Adenium hybrid
Family: Apocynaceae
Desert Rose, Impala Lily, Adenium hybrids
Origin: Arabia and East Africa

Exotic species of Adenium: Adenium swazicum, Adenium somalense, Adenium arabicum, Adenium boehmianum, Adenium multiflorum, Adenium crispum, Adenium obesum.

Adeniums have many spectacular hybrids.

The basic culture is very similar to orchids. A small pot with excellent drainage is a must. Adeniums do not like both over-watering or drying-out.

There is a little secret of how to create a weird shape of the base: lift the plant a bit every time you re-pot the plant, so that the upper part of roots will be a little exposed. The plant will form more roots that will go down.

To make your plant develop a large swollen base/trunk, you'll need a good quality fertilizer. Fetilizer requirement for swelling up trunks is also used to increase flowering. It shouldnt be too hight in nitrogen, the middle number should be the highest.

Never apply fertilizer directly on roots and do not liquid feed when a plant is thirsty: always water first slightly to avoid root burn and leaf drop.

Do not wet leaves.

Adeniums need lots of light for heavy flowering. Most hybrids and species start blooming in the spring when the conditions are warm and days get longer, and continue blooming through the fall and winter in warmer climates.

(AHA!!)>>> Adeniums like a neutral to hard water. Acidic water tends to sour the soil too fast and may cause root rot.

Water plants preferably in the early morning, and allow them to drink up throughout the day. Watering can be done daily to every few days.

Never allow your plants to sit in a saucer of water, but don't let them to dry out too often - this causes adeniums to go into early dormancy.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was wondering what was making the leaves splotchy, I'm guessing that I was soaking the leaves! Foliar feeding. hahaha(waaa!). What's the saying? "Too late schmart"?

OK, O-W's-H-N

Thumbnail by Molamola

And I'm getting ideas looking at this page of theirs, photographs. They're planted in 4 or 6 inch pots in what looks like Pro Mix. I love Promix!! The caudexes aren't showing.

But for "beauty", back on the 'for sale' page, they're in little short clay pots, looking like the caudex is freshly exposed. Hmmm....

http://toptropicals.com/html/toptropicals/articles/cacti/adenium.htm

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

It doesn't look like Pro Mix to me, unless you get a different sort of Pro Mix than I do. I see small pieces of bark or wood, and my Pro Mix doesn't have that. Some Fafard mixes do, though. That's one of my peeves- almost all nursery plants you see are in peat, perlite, and bark, but you can't easily buy a mix like that!
http://www.siamadenium.com/ I spent most of last night on this website... very interesting- plants out in full sun, no shade at all. They have a substance called Chitosan that they spray on their leaves.
Top Tropicals saying don't get water on the leaves makes me wonder, what happens when it rains? LOL

Desert Roses have the name desert for a reason? is there any desert in your state? lol. They are a natural, wild plant in Arabia. wowee. One dry environment, and some sun! Like charlotte's Web said, "Some Pig"

I didn't look all that closely at their potting mix, just saw what looked like Pro Mix. The only other mix I am familiar with is Jungle Growth, or some name close to that. I know where there re lots of old, barky trees, have collected bark once already, it seems to break down fairly quickly. The roots have plenty of both air and moisture from the spaces between the bark, which I very lightly fill with quick draining sand and compost rubble.

Chitosan is finely ground shells of shrimp and crabs.

My point was mostly that the caudex is built by the DR underground.

Thanks for the link, that will probably eat my evening tonight!

Always more to learn!

Melissa

Arlington, TX

Does the plant naturally make a swollen trunk? I understand the root information but thought the trunk was an adaptation. Is it normally underground? Meaning am I looking at root material in the swollen trunk? I need a book!
C

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

No desert here! It has rained since 5pm last night, mud everywhere! Yuck!

The seedlings start right out with a very thick stem. Then as the plant grows, the root starts swelling just under the surface. The root isn't usually a nice round shape, but several rootlets and lumps and bumps and more roots. When you repot a larger plant, you wash/brush off some of the soil to reveal the caudex. In the wild, I believe this happens naturally by erosion.

Lok closely at all the photos you see, some are taken right after the plant is repotted, and the root hasn't had a chance to green up a little, it gradually gets so that you don't see such a change between what was under the soil.

This plant is several years old, and it's easy to tell where the soil line used to be.

OOPS!!! here's the photo:

Thumbnail by Molamola

Well, Lakeside, I bet you don't see DRs planted in people's yards!

Here's my biggest seedling, about six months old. I don't know what's going on under the soil!

No!!! I did it again!

Thumbnail by Molamola
Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

LOL, you are having trouble tonight! Cute seedling, can you plant them outdoors in the VI?

Arlington, TX

That site is very useful. I am going to try some of those tips this summer. I haven't been ferlilizing my plant much but now will do so more often.
C

Yes, plant in the ground here, Zone 11.

There are some DRs here in people's yards that are six feet tall, with the caudex completely underground.

I know of one that's neglected in the corner of someone's yard. I am trying to figure a way to go buy it from them, and plant it in the Botannical gardens here. Anyone have a backhoe I can borrow? I must get some photos..

Arlington, TX

Can you mail it here!

Oh, my, did you miss the link Doris (kareoke) put on Wilfred's Chatter's? Some really amazing info. i just wish, now, that I knew exactly what kind of DRs that I have, as there are differences in culture.

Check this out, and thanks again, Doris...

http://www.adenium.tucsoncactus.org/large.html

Melissa

Dandridge, TN(Zone 6a)

That makes sense. Mine grew a lot during the summer rains here, although I had moved it into a bigger pot it has now stretched the pot so it is no longer round, but oval! (Plastic pot, that is).
Mine sure didn't seem to like the strong summer sun though, I could only have it in morning sun.

Maybe my sun issue is because we have only rocky dirt, no grass. Maybe it reflects a lot of sunlight back up? I don't know, but my plants that should like full sun, like bananas, can't take the full sun here.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images