Recipes For Using Those Bags Of Frozen Chicken Breasts

Beaver Falls, PA(Zone 6a)

I cook for my 90 year old Father since my Mother passed away last May. He lives alone, and makes his own Brunch-breakfast eaten at lunch time since he likes to sleep in! He can't chew well so I cook things that are very well cooked and easy to chew. He loves crock pot roasts with gravy and mashed potatoes, chicken breasts cooked and cut up with gravy and mashed potatoes. He won't eat sandwiches and tells me that he eats my sloppy joes with the meat on a plate and then eats the bun separately. The same with barbequed ham sandwiches. He will eat casseroles-scalloped potates and ham, one I make with ground meat, Velvetta, noodles, tomato and cream of chicken soup. He loves ham loaf and meatloaf, as well as spaghetti and ravioli. I make home made soups too.

I like using the bagged frozen chicken breasts, but need more ideas of things to make with them that he will be able to eat. Any ideas for me to try besides just cooking them, cutting them up and putting them in gravy? I need to expand our menu a bit. Thanks for your help,
Linda

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Chicken soup or Brunswick Stew, because the chicken will be shredded.

I do already make Chicken Soup, but what is Brunswick Stew? Thank you for responding,
Linda

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

How lucky you are to be able to help keep your Father independent. I admire that!

Chicken fajitas is one of our favorites but he probably wouldn't care to eat them in the tortilla wrap.
I love (but don't make as DH won't eat it) chicken spaghetti.
I am sure there are many other ideas if I only think about it.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I got my recipe from the Fannie Farmer cookbook and didn't realize there were so many different variations, this one is pretty simple.
It's like chicken soup but heartier.

4-5lbs chicken quartered
salt
1 cup chopped canned or fresh tomatoes
2 onions sliced thin
1 cup lima beans(I use green beans since hubby hates lima)
3 potatoes peeled and diced
1 cup whole kernal corn
1 tsp sugar
1/8- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
Rinse chicken and put in large pot with 2 tsps slat and water to cover. bring to boil and simmer 40 mins. remove chicken from broth shred and set aside. Put in veggies, sugar and cayenne into broth and boil gently for 30 mins covered add chicken and simmer 10 min mins uncovered. taste add for salt and cayenne if needed

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

I used to use those frozen chicken breasts a lot when my dd was smaller. I would just put a T butter in a very small fry pan that I could fit a cover on and put the frozen chicken breast or 2 in there on low - med. heat. I would let it brown up a little on the bottom flip it and wait until the other side browned up a bit. Then I'd dice it small. It was a very common dinner for her with frozen peas and carrots that were boiled until soft. I always made that when I was making something I knew I couldn't serve her. The only problem would be the cutting it small enough, perhaps you could make it into chicken salad after. Those frozen chicken breasts seemed flavorful even without anything else, I beleive it's because they are soaked in a salted water. When she got older and it seemed this was too bland for her I would chop the chicken up like above and throw it back in the pan with some sweet baby ray's barbecue sauce. It makes it taste like stir fry. I still do that for the whole family with the regular chicken breasts chopped in bite size pieces regularly.

Thank you all for your ideas.

When I cook, I make enough for my Father to have it for two days, and my husband and I also eat the same thing too. I plan on making Chicken Stroganoff next.

I'm looking for a recipe that I've seen in the past where you can use left over turkey or chicken, stuffing, and I think soup, made into a casserole too.

Linda

Oh that's a good one. It's on the back of the stove top stuffing package. I have soem left...
It says
2 cups stuffing mix
1 1/2 lb. chicken cut into 1 inch pieces
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/3 cup sour cream
1 bag mixed veggies thawed, drained
Preheat oven 400
Mix veggies soup sour cream chicken in 13x9 baking dish Top with stuffing
Bake 30 minutes. or until chicken is cooked through (which you won't have to worry about if the chicken is leftovers. : )

I just want to say that I've done different variations on that recipe and it always comes out good. Plus I always use precooked chicken. I guess I'm weird but it freaks me out to put raw chicken like that.
I've done it without the soup and just half a bag of veggies (not bothering to thaw and drain them. I also made the stuffing like you would for normal serving before I put it on top. I've also put shredded cheddar on top (which my dh likes, cheese makes everything better for him. : )

Added - I also only make about half the amount listed above - usually - in a 8x8 pan. THat would probably only work if the soup was omitted or cut in half.

This message was edited Feb 8, 2010 5:05 PM

Thank you Meredith79 for posting the recipe I was looking for. Cheese on the top is good- I agree with your DH!

And, let me say that I totally agree with you about precooking Chicken. I always precook my chicken. I even precook it before putting it on the grill! It just makes me feel better. I don't like to chance poultry not being completely done. When it falls apart with a fork, I know it's done the way I like it.

Thanks again,
Linda

Richmond, MI(Zone 5a)

i don't know if this a help but i soak all my meat in buttermilk for at least one hour, your meat will be more moist, and chicken breast i pound first than soak in buttermilk, flour with, salt, pepper,garlic, or what ever seasons he likes, great with any way you like we like to turn the chicken after pat fry make cheese sauces and noddles.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Brining chicken will also help keep it moist if you're sauteeing or grilling it. Thawed chicken breasts, soaked in 4 cups of water + 4 tablespoons of salt, for one hour. Drain and rinse before cooking.

Marinate some chicken breasts, with chicken teriyaki, lemon pepper chicken, etc. then grill them and refrigerate or freeze for use within a few days or weeks. A grilled breast can be sliced over a salad for a lunch or light dinner.

I make my own teriyaki marinade:
1 cup soy sauce (you can use low sodium if that's an issue)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon mustard
1 teaspoon ginger
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 clove garlic, minced (or a little garlic powder)
1/2 small onion, diced fine (or a little onion powder)

Mix together, pour over breasts and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight. Grill or broil. Yummm

Chicken poppyseed casserole is good and hearty - it's a one-dish meal if you put a bed of rice on the bottom. (I like using brown rice because I like the chewy texture; you just have to start it a little earlier since it takes 45 minutes to cook ;o)

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

I have two young children. I buy the frozen chicken tenderloins. This sounds gross, but I boil them. I throw them in a pot of water & let it boil. It only takes a few minutes and they are super tender. I ust sprinkle with a little garlic salt for them. I can have dinner on the table in 5 minutes and the clean-up is a snap. My sister-in-law gave me the idea because my nephews wouldn't eat the chicken if it had grill marks on it. Now I do it whenever I make chicken for chicken salad. Can be done with frozen or fresh chicken.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I sometimes make a casserole with rice, chopped/cooked broccoli, chopped/cooked chicken, and cream of chicken soup (dillute with a little milk). You can add some diced onion or celery, and you can bake it or make it in a big pot on the stove. If you bake it, it's also nice to put some bread crumbs, buttered cracker crumbs or grated cheese on the top.

Sorry I don't have measurements, I just wing it. Some folks add a little mayo and/or a little curry powder and a spritz of lemon juice (there are a lot of recipes out there!) but I tend to keep it simple. It would be easy to chew.

If he likes broccoli and cheese:

Take a sheet of foil big enough to make an envelope for the chicken and vegetables. Place the chicken in it (no need to thaw) and add the frozen broccoli.

Throw on some pepper, salt, and Italian seasoning to taste. Close the envelope and bake. It takes about 30 minutes at 350+. Put the envelope on a baking sheet.

Five minutes before it's done open the envelope of foil and add cheddar cheese. Re-close the foil and turn off the oven.

Virginia Beach, VA

You are lucky to be able to keep your dad in his own home.
try this:
Cubed chicken breasts
beef or chicken kielbasa
red or white summer potatoes
garlic
onions
low sodium soy sauce
salt/pepper to taste
flour to thicken.

brown garlic with small amount of of olive oil and saute onions, add chicken and saute or few minutes. add soy, salt and pepper to taste. add cut up kielbasa ,potatoes, i cup of water and cook for 15 minutes or till tender.test tenderness and if potatoes is done. you can also add peeled carrots. thicken with small amount of flour . maybe served with rice if he likes rice..Good luck Belle

I really appreciate the responses to my post. You've all given me some great ideas to try. If he doesn't like some of the ingredients in the recipes, I can always subsitute something else he does like! Thank you so much,
Linda

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

chicken and dumplings, the chicken is easy to eat and the dumplings are filling. I don't have my recipe handy, but I do the chicken in the crockpot and right before eating, make the dumplings in a skillet with a lid, dump the juice from the crockpot into the skillet. No worries about the dumplings being too deep in the juices.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images