Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

DH uses a lot of ice in his water or soda. I'm not big on using ice until summertime gets here.

We have lots of mineral deposits in our water so I've never had an icemaker. I buy ice cube trays at the dollar store for 3 or 4 trays for a dollar. When they quit releasing the ice cubes easily, I toss them and get new ones. Not so frugal but cheaper than buying ice.

Lately, the ice cube trays have changed. They are now "stackable" which serves no purpose as I am not dry storing them. When they are filled with water, if they are not stacked correctly, they will collapse into each other, splashing cold water all over me, the counter, the floor. Needless to say I lose my religion.

I am willing to pay more for trays if they come without this aggravation. Tell me what you use and/or how you do it?

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

We used to have little plastic baggies that made round ice cubes (before we had an ice maker) I wonder if they still make them. Really handy.

I've never seen those. That sounds interesting. Do you recall where you purchased them?

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

I didn't recall - so I went a-googling.

Was delighted to see these here
http://www.woolworths.co.nz/plastic_bags_ice_cube_glad_32808.htm
but then realized that is in New Zealand..... that makes me think maybe we had them in England where we used to live.... not much help I assume?

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Pod
Same complaint as you. It makes me c.r.a.z.y
I do stack correctly.... it is actually getting them in the stacking position that makes the water go everywhere. I end up half filling and then the ice cube is very small and melts quickly.

At least I don't have to guess at stacking correctly. The last set of trays I bought have a box on one end and a circle on the other. You have to alternate ends when stacking so they don't sploosh! Now I just have to have my glasses on... lol They make me feel like I am in kindergarden.

Dutchlady ~ thanks for the link. I would love to "put those in my trolley" but I guess they wouldn't be too frugal. Apparently only used once? That jogged my memory. I have seen a container that you fill, close and lay on its' side to freeze cubes. It was in one of those "junque catalogues" I get that give the post office and the garbage men job security.

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

Those are the ones. They really are very handy and cost very little.

Dangerous business if I have to go thru all those catalogues. I see all that other crap and forget what I went looking for. lol I may have to freeze blocks of ice and buy an ice pick instead.

Has anyone ever used the silicone trays. They are pricey but looks like a lot less aggravation...
http://www.goldviolin.com/product_p/92239.htm

Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

I offload my ice cubes into a ziptop bag as soon as they are frozen and pop the bag back into the freezer quickly. Saves having the hassle of having to release them from the trays when I need them and saves needing very many trays.

We use one of those ice cube containers to hold all the loose ice but getting these little buggers out of the ice cube trays makes us invent new words. When they are finally freed, they go skidding across the kitchen floor.

I am a little reticent about spending that much for silicone ice cube trays with the minerals in our water. I've always considered the cheap trays disposable and when they quit releasing, I use them for other things but maybe better quality might last longer. And then, maybe not.

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

I use metal water bottles. I fill them 1/3 full of water & freeze. Then in the morning I fill with water & use in the kids lunchboxes or take it with me during the day. I always keep a couple in the freezer.

That is a good thought. I will do that.

The ice cube thing is my husbands' passion but then he and I both fuss about these new and useless ice cube trays.

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

does anyone know of a blender? that crushed ice for slushes? My kids would like those, but my puny one will not do ice.

My husband has a small ice crusher that is electric and one that is manual. Both gadgets are incredibly noisy, the cats and I leave the house when he digs one out. The ice crushed by these gadgets is a bit coarser than slush ice but it could probably be run longer.

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Google "shave ice machine". I have a manual one and love it to death.

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

I didn't realize they made 'manual' ice shavers. I'll have to look that up.
I was afraid an electric would burn out and not be strong enough to do it.

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

It really doesn't take that much work - all it does is scrape off the top layer of the ice, again and again until you have as much as you need.

Podster, I know this is a little on the expensive side. I have one of these and I have had it for years. I empty it into a large zip lock bag for storage. As long as the tray is even it is fine. It never spills. I have hard water and can't recall having any problems with it. I do think you can find something similar that I think is cheaper to make cubes for bottled water.

I have noticed that if I don't fill up the tray to the top it is easier to get the cubes out.

http://order.tupperware.com/coe/app/tup_show_item.show_item_detail?fv_item_category_code=20000&fv_item_number=P10059190000

Ouch on that price but I will have to ask around and see if anyone I know uses or sells these. Thanks for that suggestion.
I may also try not filling mine quite as full and see if that helps. Thanks...

Just a note ~ I found some new Rubbermaid brand ice cube trays. They are the old style, large, easy stackable and quick release. The price wasn't really so bad at $1.50 @ tray but far higher than my frugal soul likes. I used to buy 4 for $1.00.

Oh well... Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions. It is always appreciated! pod

Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Often you get what you pay for. Sometimes the best value is something that costs a bit more but lasts a lot longer and is less hassle. Being frugal is more about being a smart shopper than just being cheap, IMHO. Happy Earth Day!

Same back to you... thank you.

I made the choice not to argue with DH when I bought those bad ones. He said, buy two packages of them (8) and I just did not want to get into a discussion about them but knew better. They are now all in the donation bag for Goodwill.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

For Christmas, my brother bought me some insulated glasses. They are wonderful, the perfect solution for me. I drink lots of ice water everyday and used to go thru quite a bit of ice. But these insulated glasses keep the ice from melting so quickly, so I'm using about half the ice I did before. Also, with these glasses, I don't have to use coasters because they don't condensate. They're double walled.

These are what he got me:

http://www.tervis.com/Products/BEST-SELLERS/It's_5_O'Clock_Somewhere_5-OCLOCK-SOMEWHERE.aspx

I'm sure he didn't pay anywhere near those prices since he got all of his siblings a set of 4.

NancyAnn

Good idea ~ I will check out that link. Thanks!

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

The dollar store or even walmart may have some good (and much cheaper) insulated glasses of some sort. I really love these Tervis, but I wouldn't pay $50 for 4 of them like that site shows. I carry these out to the garden with me and the ice lasts much longer than in a regular glass. And even after the ice melts, my water stays cold longer. You can also put hot liquids in them.

Check out Ebay; they have some of the Tervis tumblers there a little cheaper. I'd never even heard of these until Terry got them for me. I'm really impressed with them and would buy more if I could find them a little cheaper somewhere. I will try to remember to ask where he got them.

NancyAnn

Nashville, TN(Zone 7a)

I love Tervis tumblers. They are amazing and well worth the money. They carry a lifetime guarantee. The knock offs aren't as well made. If you ever have a Tervis tumbler that starts to get condensation in between the layers they will replace it. I agree - you get what you pay for. Yes, check ebay.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images