I felt brave today

Arlington, TX

I cut back my DR and now I am praying I didn't kill it. The cut branches are drying and I will attempt to pot them up in a few days. Here is the poor thing after pruning. It was starting to put out a few leaves after being dormant or nearly so this winter. I also want to repot when I am certain it has recovered from the pruning.
C

Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw
Arlington, TX

How should I proceed with the cuttings?

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

Cheryl you've done a fantastic job at pruning you DR and your DR looks gorgeouse indeed, by summer time it should look even better with all the new growth on it and even better when it blooms for you.

Let your cutting dry out for at least three days than plant them in a slightly moist potting mix, then place them in a bright area with enough warmth at the bottom so they can root for you, be patient as this take quite a while for them to do, as soon as you see new growth on them you'll know they have rooted, BTW, all the leave will turn yellow and fall off from your cutting, that's normal so don't worry, remember not to wet, only slightly humid potting mix.

Your Friend Wilfred

This DR is from a cutting I did a few years ago.

Thumbnail by WQP
Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

Indeed! That's a great example of balanced hard pruning. Good symmetry. You should be rewarded with a very full "canopy" of foliage and flowers by the first of June. I personally judge the success of my pruning by whether or not I can look straight down on it, and not see through the dense, new growth. I think you'll be quite please once she flushes out.

Chris

Christiansted, VI(Zone 11)

Beautiful. The caudex is fun and lovely at the same time, so smooth.

Tho I do question the pot.

What potting medium do you have it in?

Melissa-who-overwaters

Arlington, TX

The pot is too small and so I will repot soon. I used a cactus mix to which I added a little bit of other materials I had on hand (handful of gravel, handful of peat etc.) and it drains fast. It's still too cold here to put the plant out permantly so I am waiting to repot. I will fertilize more this year and see if it helps with flower production. What soil mix is the best?
C

Oh, no! You asked the WRONG person!!! Go read what Al says. Just skip through the first time, read the first sentence of each paragraph. If it's too much, scroll down and read the comments.

(peat is too dense)

LOL!

Arlington, TX

Good lord I did read that. I am certain what he says is correct but honestly do plants grow in ideal conditions in nature? There are always limits to grow, this keeps the population at a size that can survive. I do need to work on how I treat my potted friends (soil, fertilizer, micronutrients etc.) but I do it for fun and don't want to worry about that many details.
Cheryl's plan for better potted plants:
repot more often
blend some better soil mixes
find a good fertilizer
find a cheap source of micronutrients
read about individual species so I make sure things are tailored to their needs

We're talking plants in jail, umm, containers. That we want to be their best.

Haha, someone commented about torturing plants to make bonsai, as if plants out in the Wild all have optimum conditions, and never have to recover from things like ice storms or land slides.

Cactus mix is good, they try to please. I also like to add bits of my own mind, but perhaps it's better to leave well enough alone.

I surely need to repot my only big DR, it's in all the wrong potting mix, now that I know what's what! I used huge chunks of bark from an old Mahogany tree, and it's rotting down quickly. Poor roots can't breathe.

My next endeavor is to begin making my own pots. Hypertufa. See:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/795463/

Cheers!

melissa

Arlington, TX

I have seen the troughs for sale and they are expensive. Let us know how your pots turn out.
I try not to torture my plants but I am certain sometimes it happens. My yard is full of growing things so I don't feel too badly about a few discontented pot inhabitants! I was not making fun of the post, just saying that for me I try to keep my gardening hobby simple and enjoyable. I teach osmosis and photosynthesis and other science topics all day long to high school students and my garden is my retreat. I know a lot about plants and soil and do think scientifically about what I am doing. But right now I just want to dig in the dirt and find some bugs...
C

I hear you!

Long live Osmosis.

My garden is turning into a tyrant. Bought this house a year ago, and only getting started. At least I don't want something like the Dervaes, 1/10 acre producing 6,000 lbs of veggies a year. Only in California! But they do have four people working full time. Burn out for me!

Cement thingies must be expensive because of the time involved.

Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

I am the 'Torturer' ;)

My links have disappeared all over the place to that place named after little squares.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

you mean over at Cubits?

Not over there, to there.

Arlington, TX

March 19 and still no new growth, I am getting worried. It is still not hot here so she only goes out during the warmth of the afternoon for some sun. What do I need to do? Should I repot now? I am giving her limited water with a very small amount of fertilizer, suggestions?
C

I wouldn't water at all until new growth happens.

Patience and resignation for DRs! Very grouchy plant, taking its' time.

Hmm, waning Moon in Sagittarius, wish you'd asked me before you did that.

The plant is just being very grouchy, put it someplace nice where you don't have to see it all the time! lol. Don't need to carry outside if there are no leaves to soak up sunshine. Just a nice place and don't bother the patient until he's feeling better.

Arlington, TX

Makes sense to me. Thanks for the advice.
C

Arlington, TX

I repotted the poor devil and i am thinking the pot is too large. Still no leaves but not mushy either. Will wait a few days, water and see if I can stimulate it back to life.
C

I still say don't water, if the DR was mine, I'd just put it someplace cozy and ignore. I doubt they can be stimulated.

But I don't know. They can go a long long time dry.

Melissa, who has made rotted DRs too many times

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

How warm is it in your area right now C, does the caudex feel soft or is it nice and firm, if the potting mix is humid and its still not warm enough out side, don't water it, but if weather is 1n t5he 70*F and the potting mix is dry than give it a little water and place it in direct sunlight half a day, heat and sun light is whats stimulates DR to start growth.

Did you plant the cutting after waiting for them to cure,

Wilfred

Arlington, TX

Warm during the day but still cold at night (mid 40's to 50 F). I checked the plant before repotting and it seems pretty firm. I am waiting a couple of days to water. I am wondering if being in the sun will stimulate new leaves and should I put mild fertilizer on it or just water this time? I really will feel badly if I have killed it!
C

Arlington, TX

The cuttings got mushy so I pulled them up and cut back to firm tissue. I am letting them dry a few days then will try again. I realize now they were over watered. This time I am adding a lot of perlite and giving it just a little misting.
C

Carolina, PR(Zone 11)

You have not killed it C, just be patient with it and put it in the sun to stimulate it to start growing, water it with a week solution of fertilizer at first and increase the dose little by little as you see new leaves on it, now don't over do it, remember its probably still partly dormant at this time, usually new growth starts after temps. goes up to 70*F and higher.

Cutting need bottom warm to set roots if its to cold they just will rot, but them on top of the refrigerator if you can as this produces some heat that can ad them in setting roots for you. Potting mix should barely be moist at this stage for the cuttings. hope this helped you.

Your Friend Wilfred

Thumbnail by WQP
Arlington, TX

Alas no growth or signs of any kind of life. Getting pretty bummed out and and will probably not have the nerve to ever cut back one of these plants this much again. She is still firm and not mushy but there are not any leaves forming. Keeping her outside as temps are finally up for the most part here. 80 or so during the day and cooler at night.
C

Nice and green and looks very alive and fine to me.

Have patience!

They dislike cooler than 60 or even warmer. Once the nights warm up more, the plant will be happier.

Look at http://www.siamadenium.com/ and maybe email that man to ask how to make the plant start growing. He says all over the place, "email me".

I'll send you some radish seeds.

(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN(Zone 7a)

PLEASE TELL ME!!! What is a "DR"? They're beautiful, will they survive a winter outside, or do you keep them in pots year 'round? I like the base of the plant.

Oh boy!

Desert Rose, Adenium. For you, definitely a potted plant. They cannot handle temps much below 55 degrees, they go dormant.

They are grown for the caudiciform, the bulging bottom. Sometimes called "fat plants"

Oh, they are tropical, generally.

A poor photo of my biggest one

Thumbnail by Molamola

Wonderful! Have to get me one! Or two..... or three.....

They take a while to grow as big as this big one of mine, so they aren't cheap! Expect at least $30 for one.

O my! Maybe I'll wait a bit!!

I might be having some seed sent to me. If so, I'll send you a few to try.

I sure would like to try! I'll be glad to pay you.

I'll dmail you in a week or so, when I get my seeds. OK

OK!

Arlington, TX

I have leaf buds! She is alive...

Yay, Yay, Yay!!!!!

Copenhagen, Denmark(Zone 7b)

Newtonsthirdlaw,

That's a nicely shaped Adenium.:-) Send some more photos when it has foilage and flowers!

Regards,

Martin

Audry, haha, do you have enough seeds? I will still send a few... I've ordered a different kind, less for flowers, more for the funny big caudex bottoms. Arabica.

Melissa

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.