Growing Hollyhock From Seed Question

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

I would like to try growing Hollyhocks from seed and noticed there are some quick maturing varieties that bloom, from seed, in their first year. Can anyone recommend any of the quick flowering varieties that have done particularly well for them? I'm afraid the biennial types will not survive our hot humid intense summer sun, so was hoping to grow these during the months of Oct-April.

Jon

(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH(Zone 6b)

The mix that I have been growing for three years flowers 3 months from sowing. Send me a mail with your addy and I can send you some seeds.

Happy Spring!!

~Daniel

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Daniel,

Which variety of hollyhock is that? I am sure that I could find some seed to trade with you, if I don't have it...but maybe I already have it. This is my first year for growing flowers from seed started indoors, as I have grown the kind that you start in the garden, like bachelor buttons, calendula and poppies. We have had so much rain and snow, I thought that I would have a lot already planted in the garden..but not only has it been soggy on the drier days, but just so many storms in a row, that I haven't planted any veggies, or sown any flower seeds since I sowed the peas in February.

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

I am going to try some of the Hollyhock Happy Lights Mix from Park Seeds myself. I figgure not much to lose for the price of the seeds.

I would agree. Not much to lose and its still early in the season. I actually found Vietnamese Holllyhock plants down here yesterday, which shocked me. I have never heard of Vietnamese Hollyhocks???

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

No, sorry, never heard of them.

Apparently they're quite sought after plants down here, because of their heat/humidity tolerance, and hard to find. They must be a tropical type of Hollyhock because they're only hardy to 32 degrees. The owner of the nursery told me she was fortunate to get them and practically had to jump through hoops to obtain any of them. I'm betting they'll all be sold by the end of the weekend.

I have heard of Russian, but not Vietnamese. Wondering what that is...

~Daniel

I searched the PFs and the searcher recomendded Alcea acaulis. I think it means Stemless HH, a for without and caulis for stem, lol.

~Daniel

That must be it....but with stems. The tag says "Alcea Vietnamese Hollyhock". They have branching flower stalks and buds, but not quite open yet. Took my visiting brother plant shopping today and went back to that Nursery. Sure enough, they were all sold between Wedn and this morning.

First blooms on the "Vietnamese Hollyhocks" opening this morning.

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Pretty!

~Daniel

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images