What is this 'fuzzy' plant?

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Here is close up

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

begonia? just a guess

Sarasota, FL

Is it fragrant or have a scent? Reminds me of catnip but the color looks wrong.

Billingshurst, United Kingdom

Yes it looks to me also like something related to catnip. May be a Stachys species or even a mint? The smell test would be helpful.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

It's not fragrant, and darker than than catmint, which I do have. The catmint is coming up too but the leaves are larger and more detailed than catmint.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

It's not a begonia.

The plant that it keeps reminding me of is Stachys officinalis. I know where there is some so I'll go look compare.
Take a photo too.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Ajuga ?

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I wish it were Lantana - I love that plant and try to over winter it - not much luck.

Ajuga - don't think so but could be.

I've looked over my photos, which I have a great deal of pics from the past 3 or 4 years but I just can't place this one and I have to large patches of it.

It's not walkers low catmint; the leaves are larger, rounder, more detailed. No fragrance at all. Very veined.

Billerica, MA(Zone 6a)

My first inclination was an Ajuga also, but with some research, at least on DG, I couldn't find a matching leaf type. Similar, but nothing the same, especially where the leaf meets the leaf stem.

Nothing that has been mentioned here thus far matches this plant that I am aware of anyway's.

A little more growing time and the plant may become more obvious.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

Lamium?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

The toothed and hairy leaves and growth habit would be a fit for Stachys macrantha, but not for lamium or ajuga.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Stachys officinalis leaves are more elongate.

Here's S. macrantha for comparison:

Thumbnail by altagardener
Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

I don't know anything about Stachys sp., but just comparing the pics provided, Stachys macrantha looks to have a relatively smoothly veined leaf surface, while the plant in question has a definitely puckered or quilted leaf surface.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

This is very veined and oddly I have 3 large patches and can't find a single thing in my photo files that resemble this plant. No smell. I thought about a lemon balm but no smell. They continue to grow slowly but it's been crazy weather. I can't imagine what I would have in 3 patches that I can't locate in my many photos. It's so puzzling. Hossop? I don't know.

Columbus, OH

Maybe Lunaria?

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I don't think Lunaria--that would be in seedlings and this looks like its coming from last year's base. I would swear Catnip but it sure would have a scent early on.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Not catnip as I have that in another location and it's very different in leaf form and no smell. These are very detailed, veined leaves. Lots darker than the Walkers Low Catmint and larger too. They are from last year and every picture I've looked at shows nothing of these plants. It's making me crazy (shall I say crazier).

It appears there were long sticks coming from them from last year. I can take a few more pictures today. If this group can't figure it out no one can!
Kathy

are the sticks squareish? Maybe we can at least say its in that square stemmed category. The sticks might show opposite leaves (I think they do)
Salvia? Gonna go look at my garden, agastache, salvia, catnip, lunaria...though it doesn't seem to fit any of those

yes and it would also be helpful to know if the two patches are connected under the surface by a rhizome. At this time of year you can scratch around and pull things up and poke them back in.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Quote from Carter :
I don't know anything about Stachys sp., but just comparing the pics provided, Stachys macrantha looks to have a relatively smoothly veined leaf surface, while the plant in question has a definitely puckered or quilted leaf surface.

Here is an emerging leaf of Stachys macrantha. (Things are much later this far north). Perhaps this photo will help to show that the leaves of S. macrantha are not smoothly veined, nor smooth in general, and will provide another comparison to the plant in question.

Thumbnail by altagardener
Sarasota, FL

This is better than any mystery story! Please keep us posted as these grow.

Billerica, MA(Zone 6a)

How about this one... Staggerweed, Field Woundwort (Stachys arvensis)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/263418/

(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN(Zone 7a)

Are we sure it's a flower, and not a vegetable? I think mustard has a slight fuzzy leaf, but I'm just clutching at straws!

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

it's a perennial - no chance it's veggie or annual.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Here are pictures from today - this is catmint - Walkers Low just to show the difference in leave size and color

This message was edited Mar 29, 2010 2:36 PM

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

This plant had something tall growing from it due to the dead sticks shooting out

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

another

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

close up of back side

Thumbnail by shihtzumom
Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

one more - the leaf is somewhat fuzzy on top

Thumbnail by shihtzumom

Well its almost definitely Lamiaceae and I'm still going with Stachys or possibly Mentha. It does look rhizomotous or at least spreading vegetatively in some way . Is there still no smell? even on a warm day.

Columbus, OH

If it had a smell, I'd say lemon balm.

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

Possibly Lamium purpureum..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamium_purpureum

Certainly has the lemon balm look but seems too perennial to be Lamium purpureum

The old stalks seem to rule out deadnettle (L purpureum) (too big) but I am glad to have read that link and know why its called deadnettle.
Wild stab.: Salvia turkestanica. Clary sage
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/68437/
Hard to tell from the full grown pics in plantfiles. but it does resemble the emerging one I have. Just got seedlings for the first time last summer so I really am not familiar with it.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

It doesn't look like Salvia turkestanica, which has pointed leaves on which the teeth on the leaf edges are also pointed. The plant in question has rounded tips on hairy, deeply veined leaves, and teeth which are rounded/scalloped.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.