I boughta Buddah Belly

Christiansted, VI(Zone 11)

Wowee, they wanted a lot of money! The bright leaf facing the camera grew so quickly. I tried some epsome salts and some ironite, but the leaf just isn't green. Maybe I didn't use enough, I was very sparing.

Whee, I finally have a Buddah Belly!

Thumbnail by Molamola
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I am sure you know this, but don't overwater it or you will have a pile of black mush - again, ask me how I know! LOL

Hum, I just dug out some of the soil from one side of the pot to see what I could see, and it's solid black mud kind of stuff the poor plant is in. I might repot in the morning, with something that won't suffocate ole BBelly. I'm looking more and more at air to the roots, as opposed to not enough moisture.

Decatur, GA

I think you are right. The roots are suffering.
Good luck with the BBelly.
Helen

OK, poor guy is drying out. New tiny leaves starting to grow, I'll post another photo in a week or so.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi Molamola, how about the photo? Is the plant doing better now?

Poor plant! It was potted in near cement. I cleaned, dried the roots, and cut out rot, and it's doing better. Ha, believe that or not. It'd been in this pot a few days, and I turned it upside down out of the pot to look at the roots, and there were new roots. That was a few days ago. It's wired to the side of the pot so it won't jiggle, and is planted in Pro Mix.

It has some tiny new leaves, so I think we'll be OK in the long run.

OK, thanks for asking.

Thumbnail by Molamola
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

No wonder the leaves were in such bad shape. Hopefully now that it is potted in the right soil it will come along well for you with nice new leaves.

Decatur, GA

Molamola,
I have a question. Looking at your newly potted plant I am seeing what I think is the root out of the soil. I mean the part below the swollen part - isn't that root? I would think it should be under the soil, which would also make the plant more stable. Whats you take on that?
Helen

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

I think that's the wire on it to hold it steady. Right?

Decatur, GA

No, not the wire. The part that goes into the soil, below the caudex.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I see no roots, only the wire that holds it up, normaly you do keep raising it up out of the soil in order to get the crazy looking roots below the caudex.

Doris

Yes, it's potted too high. This is just emergency room treatment. Once it's grown plenty of new roots, and I'll put it in the ground, I'll plant it a bit deeper. Guess I should have taken photos when it was bare and I was working on it. That stem part goes down to a bunch of rootie looking roots, like a 'normal' plant.

Here's a baby, 4inch pot, that's growing madly

Thumbnail by Molamola

I look at roots a lot. I'm always turning plants out of pots to check on them. I find amazing things sometimes! Like big cockroaches eating roots. Or solid sog instead of light airy planting mix.

Thumbnail by Molamola

Oh, Doris, you don't treat a Budda Belly like an Adenium, you don't raise it because a BB has just regular roots underground, it doesn't form 'fat roots', just a fat stem.

This little guy is getting silly big leaves. Spoon for size comparison

Thumbnail by Molamola
Decatur, GA

Molamola,
It is looking great! Big fat leaves and hopefully some flowers soon.
Helen

OK, there have been photos of two plants here.

This photo is the first plant, that had such bad rot. But, hey! New roots, I just have to dump guys out of their pots to see what's going on---

Thumbnail by Molamola

Back into the pot!

Thumbnail by Molamola

Securely but gently wired in place until it's time for a bigger pot in a month or two. Already bloomed once, last week.

These are TOUGH plants!!

Thumbnail by Molamola
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

The rotted one sure looks good now with all those healthy roots coming. I learn so much on DG! Thanks.

I really danced with this little guy.

I shouldn't have trusted the nursery. I'll probably go hassle them! They're very local, and Ususally good guys. I think they need to know.

A little bit, 10%, of perlite does nothing, zip, for heavy clay soil.

I'm beginning to think of perlite as a basic that you add to, rather than an amendment.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

You used ProMix on it right? Did you add perlite to that or just the ProMix?

Right now, I have a bale of Promix.

BUT, I am about to buy a giant bag of Perlite. Like, you know, It will last for 37,000 years. I could get the one gallon for six dollars, and zip, need some more.

I think my future potting mix will begin with 50% perlite.

Container plant care is so totally different from in the ground plants.

I think I just saved an over-rained-on coleus with water with 15% hydrogen peroxide, so the roots didn't drown. It's not droopy like it was this morning.

What happened to the old days???

Bolingbrook, IL(Zone 5a)

I have a plant with a huge coudex and the "leaves" are more like a grass. Sorry I cannot find a picture of it but I did want to jump in here and tell you that I got it at Ikeas for $10. They often have plants for sale on a little table before the check outs. The time I was there before this I bought two orchids for $10 each that stayed in bloom for weeks and weeks. I finally killed it with water but it was sooo pretty before I stuck my two cents in.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Molamola, I have a fat belly plant, and it has a beautiful vine, do not know if it gets flowers but I don't think so, it is Adenia Fruticosa

Thumbnail by kareoke

Doris, very pretty plant!

Bolingbrook, IL(Zone 5a)

I have been reading in the container gardening forum a thread called tree's in containers . Tupla is talking about root pruning or cutting and pot bound plants. I realize first that I planted my ponytail in a completely wrong mix and second that the side of the caudex that looks kind of smushy could be more of a problem than I knew. I must take it out of the pot and check the roots and then put it in a bigger pot with better soil.. I tried to take a picture of it to send but the camera battery is dead. When it is charged up I will try again. Maybe someone can tell what the true name of the plant is. What ever it is, I love it! My husband does not like plants inside the house but this one I can keep by the kitchen sink because that is literally the only place in the house that gets good sun. I also have a plant in my bedroom which fortuneatly dislikes sun light and water. What a deal!

Bolingbrook, IL(Zone 5a)

I found a picture of my plant. When I bought it the tag said it was an Elephants Ear Palm but that does not sound right to me. If anyone can tell me the right name I would appreciate it. In fact any iformation you can give me about it would be welcome. This is my first caudiciform plant and I love it. The first picture is before I repotted it.

Thumbnail by mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL(Zone 5a)

This is how the base looks after I unpotted it and rinsed some of the dirt away. Does it look right that way?

Thumbnail by mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL(Zone 5a)

This shows how much of the roots I took off

Thumbnail by mableruth
Bolingbrook, IL(Zone 5a)

Here it is all pottted up in a new pot. I am taking it inside the house because that is where it has always been. It is almost time for me to bring in the tender plants anyway.

Thumbnail by mableruth
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

mableruth: it is a Beaucarnea recurvata (also called a Ponytail Palm or an Elephant FOOT Palm). You can look it up on DG here:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2312/

Bolingbrook, IL(Zone 5a)

Thank you very much ! I will go there and learn what I can about it.

Nice looking plant!

Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

Back to the budah belly
Im so sorry it got rot on it
I love the way you lifted it.
I lift many plants that arent caudicaform.
This is a style of bonsai known as 'root formation' .. no really?? lol!!
Root formation is one of my favorite things to do beside making multi graft plants.
Nice job lifting and staking.
It should fatten up under the soil over the next year or 2
and youll have a vase shaped buddah belly LOL!!
PLEASE keep us posted with pictures as it retakes.
Youve just inspired me to do that to mine HA!!!

OK, photos to come in a day or two, I bought a tiny seedling that's caught up to the "big" plant, they're both blooming. Very few butterflies in the neighborhood. Come to think of it, very fey bugs at all. hmmm

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.