Question about newly planted zinnias

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

I bought some zinnas and they are tall and leggy. Should I pinch them? And how much? They are the Liliput mix zinnias. I meant to buy about half State Fair mix and the other half Liliput mix. When my husband and I grabbed the flats, apparently we grabbed the wrong one and got all Liliput mix. ;o( I really wanted the State Fair mix but didn't feel like going all the way back to the nursery, so I just planted these and hope I like them. Gosh, how dumb can I be??? Don't answer that! LOL

Thanks for your input.
Sherry

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

No advice about my leggy zinnias???

Whaaaaaaaaaa! LOL

Sherry

Page, ND

Someone is here! Dont know if I have the right answer - but at least somebody is responding right? I'd pinch them back - above a set of leaves, they should be okay then. ????

North Shore of L. I., NY(Zone 6b)

I thought the liliput mix was a short zinnia, maybe 12-18 inches? Are yours taller? State Fair grows very tall, over 3 feet. Mine were way over 4 feet by the end of the summer.

(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH(Zone 6b)

My lilliputs grew 3 feet high. They were good branchers though, so pinching will make them bushier.

~Daniel

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

NDFarmgirl,
Thanks! I did exactly what you advised. ;o) And thanks for the reply!

newyorkrita,
The tag says they get 20 inches tall, so we'll see. Hope they're pretty. But I really wanted the State Fait zinnias. I thought I was being careful, but the excitement of spring and being at the nursery must have got the best of me! Duh!

DMgardener,
Thanks for the info! You wouldn't happen to have a picture so I can see their growing habit, would you?

Thanks everyone.
Sherry

They are so easy to do from seed. Buy some seed of the State Fair and start your own. Now is probably a good time to start them outdoors in your zone.

I often grow zinnias from seed and I start them outside after it has warmed up.

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

I have never really grown anything from seed. I was going to try winter sowing this year, but with work and all, I just got too busy. ;o( Any tips on growing the zinnias from seed? I do have several seed packets, but that's about as far as I ever get.

Sherry

Easy. As soon as the weather is warm,sow them. Zinnias will sprout in about four days if its warm. I have never tried to start them if it's cool. Just keep them moist. I just sprinkle the seed on top of the ground or in a potting mix.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Great tip NYrita
I will sow mine in mid May when frosty nights are gone.They will go in with the lilies for blooms after the lilies are gone.

(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH(Zone 6b)

Sherrygirl, the only pic I have is in the PF for Thumbelina. They were tall, but were bushier after some pinching.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/265435/

~Daniel

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Sometimes I pinch my Zinnias to get a bushier plant, but I think the flowers after the 'pinch' are often a little smaller.

I have read that the Liliput Zinnias are the favorite zinnia of the butterflies, but in our garden, the butterflies seem to like most zinnias, especially the red, orange and yellow ones. Hummers like them too (especially the red ones). Particularly if the flowers aren't so 'full'.

Sherrygirl, one more thing about growing zinnias from seed~~they are sooo easy, but beware of the critters, they love them too~~especially the little seedlings. I start mine in old plastic salad containers and then transplant them to the garden when they get a bit bigger for that reason.

Lewisville, TX(Zone 7b)

I grow zinnias for both butterflies & hummingbirds & the butterflies love all types of zinnia.
I grow mine from seed & after the last frost I sow them directly into the soil..it is much cheaper this way ALSO you can harvest the seeds when the flowers have died..let the flower part dry out before separating the seeds.. I would only do this though if you have the time to sit & separate them.

It doesn't take long for the zinnias to grow from seed directly in the soil either. A very versatile plant! Oh... & pretty good in the heat of summer!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I grow my zinnias from seed. I almost always pinch them to keep them shorter and bushy.

Karen

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Karen,

Do you think that pinching the cactus zinnias would cause them to be quite a bit shorter? They are about 3 feet, but I would be very happy with two and half.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I don't know, I'm certainly no expert, but it seems to work that way with most zins.

When I've tried new types I often pinch most and leave a few without pinching. Generally the pinched ones end up a lot fuller and a little shorter with more flowers overall. Not very scientific but rather a casual observance. It delays blooming a bit, too. Seems to me that delaying flower development on most plants, including zinnias, puts more energy into foliage and root formation, therefore more energy for the plant for the long haul, more and bigger blossoms. Note that tabasco reports the opposite- smaller flowers- so maybe I'm all wet!

I admit, I'm a chronic pincher.

Karen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images