Zen Bell

Lebanon, OR

I had gotten two empty oxygen tanks, had them since 94 and finally my dream has come true. We took of the value filled with water for 24 hours then filled again for another 24 hours. Then the bottom was cut off. A friend of mine knew a man that did metal laser art and he took high grade aluminum and cut out the japanese or chinese characters of "HAPPINESS" then we took it to the powder coating, I picked purple, then had them sand the characters down and then they did a clear coating of powder coating and fired it again. Have 3 4x4 treated beams to hang then the clapper it an old window weight which is cast iron. I will post the pictures of before here and then later today I will post the complete picture

Cost
Tanks 0
lettering 30.00
post 20.00
chain 0
clapper 0
powder coating 100.00
cement to set the post 8.00

D

Thumbnail by irisloverdee
Wells, TX(Zone 8b)

LUCKY YOU!!! cant wait to see the finished product Ive my eye out for some of the tanks hopefull Ill be able to do the same some day PLEASE post pics when you can

Oakwood (Butler,TX), TX(Zone 8b)

That really sounds Cool .. cant wait to see the Finished Bell Picture

Lebanon, OR

Well here it is...

Lebanon, OR

another shot

Lebanon, OR

another

Lebanon, OR

last one

Olympia, WA

THAT is absolutely wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much for posting those photos.

Wells, TX(Zone 8b)

I LOVE IT!!! and the way the top support is shaped is so cool!!!

that is so awesome

Lebanon, OR

thank you. Many times hospitals can not recycle the tanks and sometimes they just have to dump them ASK the maintenance dept

D

Wells, TX(Zone 8b)

thanks i will...

Lebanon, OR

I am truly one happy camper! I have waited a very long time for it and husband thought I was nuts but have it priced them? They are not cheap but this really was next to buying one.

D

Portland, OR(Zone 8b)

How does it sound when you ring it???

yeah to bad we dont have sound :(

mulege, Mexico

Beautiful job.

Thanks for posting.

katie

Lebanon, OR

Loud gong then a harmonic resanating sound that I can hear clear across the gardens which between the two is 3 acres.

D

Tomah, WI

Denise, I've heard you talk about it, but didn't really understand about the zen bell. Wow! I sure do now! Absolutely awesome! Becky

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Absolutely beautiful! What a good idea!

Lebanon, OR

You can hear it no matter where I am on the 3 acres...which is what I wanted because if I am hybridizing, I am in another world.

D

Columbia City, IN(Zone 5b)

VERY CREATIVE,turned out beautifully,My dh would have thought I was nuts,nice job !!!

Lebanon, OR

MINE DID that is why wanting so long...even showed him one in a garden, had them tell him the price...

I knew I had read somewhere the how do...

D

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Very, very nice! Love the color, too!

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Dee, that is magnificent. Great color. I can see it was worth waiting for. Hope you enjoy it daily.

Lebanon, OR

Well just got another tank, and think that we will start working on it and put that one in the front and leave it the total length.

Thank you worms, I am proud of it and love it alot.

D

Columbia City, IN(Zone 5b)

I think garden art made from recycled items is soo fun.The DH said yesterday he thinks recycled items make cooler art than bought ones ,I think he is right..besides i feel better when Ive repourposed something.Did I spell that right ?

Lebanon, OR

We took a stainless steel spiral, fan rake, swirl of steel made a sculpture out it, sprayed rust proof paint, then a blue patina paint, hammered gold and silver and it is in the garden people so far have either loved or liked no one has said it is ugly. But you know the saying beauty is in the eye of the beholder

D

Phoenix, AZ

Dee, could you take another photo in good light? I'm trying to sell this idea to you-know-who I'd love to have a brighter shot.

Lebanon, OR

I will try honest, it might be a few days at our weather has been less than nice...

D

Lebanon, OR

Hope this helps, it was with flash

WOW that looks like a different bell

Lebanon, OR

This last one was taken with a flash...

The one is a dark purple violet and the one that will go in the front will be a dark navy

D

I have 10 acres and sometimes if I am busy I can not always hear people with these I know I will.

D

Phoenix, AZ

Wow, you've had those gray skies for several days. Are they full of rain? And thanks for the photo even if the color isn't true. It's really beautiful. I saw two of those tanks at Goodwill and now I'm toying with your idea. Enabling is such fun, isn't it?

Lebanon, OR

Well just got two different tanks one an oxygen tank going to leave it full length, the other an old propane tank...much thinner and not the harmonic sound as the big boys...

Yes the sky has been gray almost all of April and now May they promised sun...that is a joke and need to get into the commercial beds to finish the one daylily order and start digging the siberian and Japanese iris for those orders.

I will not be able to do anything on the bells now until winter again. But want to do some glass flowers all I need now is some broken glass...for the centers. So want purple, brown, yellow and orange..

Will post those when done.

A feeder or birdbath out of the rest of the glass pieces.

D

Gulfport, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited May 27, 2010 1:03 PM

Englewood, FL

$100 for powder coating ???, $1.98 can of spray paint does a very nice job. I made 2 gongs by cutting a scuba tank in two, one long & one short.I sprayed them using 4 or 5 different colors. I found 3 tanks at a yard sale for a buck ea. 2 steel &1 aluminum, the steel ones sound the best.

Lebanon, OR

The reason why the power coating is I want this to last for all time and power coating is what is done to better patio furniture. It does not have to be redone year after year, does not fade with weather and does not chip...

Since I really wanted it to last a long time, I was happy to spend the 100 on it.

D

Williston Park, NY

I love what you made from an oxygen tank. I wish I had one. The whole set up has an etheral feel to it. I have one small suggestion. The piece would benefit from theT shaped metal reinforcement pieces being painted the same color of the wood so as not to interupt the flow. You have great creative vision. Thanks for sharing.

Southern California, CA

Mulchmaniac: good observation, I agree. Small details often make a big difference.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.