How much sun for Rhododendron

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

I purchased 3 Rhododendron for a shady area that gets morning sun until (maybe) noon. Shade the rest of the day. After getting home and reading the tab, which I thought they liked shade, I learned they like sun. Will they likely be fine with this small amount of shade? I guess I was thinking of Mountain Laurel or something else.

Thanks for any suggestions you can give.
Zone 7
kathy

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

From what I know of rhodies, in your climate I think they'd be happier with afternoon shade. I think if you put them in afternoon sun in a hot summer climate they would fry.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

But do you think this will be to shady

Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6a)

I have been gowing Rododendrons for 40 years and I haven't found any yet that really likes full sun all day. The small leaf rhododndrons are better than the large leaf ones and there are some rhododendrons with big leaves that can stand quite a bit of sun, but even there they will grow better in high shade. Maybe in the Pacific Northwest where they don't get as many high temperature days as we do they can get away with full sun exposure but not where I Live

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

On Skyline Drive in N. VA. there are some balds that have thickets of rhodies (no trees) in full sun and looked like they were thriving.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I think they'd be fine with morning sun until noon. In some areas they can handle being in more sun than that, but they shouldn't need it. And in your area I think many of them would appreciate the PM shade.

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

They are happily planted where I wanted them and hope the sun until 1:00 p.m. (I paid more attention prior to planting) will be good enough. I was so stunned to see the tag stating full sun.

Thanks all

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.