It's time to vote on our 2017 photo contest! Vote for your favorite photos of the year here!

May weather, something other than cold & rain.

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Beautiful Jackie!
All your irises are gorgeous. I'll post mine too.
But first the weather : it's raining!

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Another color.

Thumbnail by adinamiti
(Zone 7a)

Everything is really starting to look great all over the northern hemisphere.

70 for the high today. Almost that now.
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 38%
Dew Point: 37 F
Wind: 1.0 mph from the WNW
Wind Gust: 6.0 mph
Pressure: 30.13 in (Falling)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 7 out of 16
Clouds: Few 5000 ft
Scattered Clouds 7000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

Mau, I have forgotten what your upside down planter looks like. Here is mine. I haven't decided what I'm going to put in it.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

The first Iris is open. 'Batik'.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

BP, here is the Monarda you sent me. It's filling in daily.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

I shall have to post some iris picture closeups. They were here when we arrived, so I have no clue as to their names. The pictures several of you have posted are gorgeous.
Went to town for the herb club's plant sale, so the bridge is officially open to traffic!

Thumbnail by sunfarm
(Zone 7a)

Woo hoo!!! Glad it's open now. Yes, we want to see your flowers.

The Yoshino cherry is about 11' tall now. Planted 2 years ago, it was then 6'.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

NOID Japanese Maple. Please ignore the bird poop. I forgot to clean it off. The Hosta is coming up, too.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

I have forgotten what this is. My SIL in OR sent it home with me when I went last Summer.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 7a)

Money Plant. This starting growing in the ignored gravel bed. I left it and Darrell wants to know when we can buy new cars with the money.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Cold and wet. Temps never got out of the mid 50s and it rained and drizzled most of the day. Not a very nice day. lol

Baptisa Twilite Prarie Blues getting ready to bloom.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Celia nice of your DSIL to send her weeds home w/ you! lol!

Love all the Iris!
I will hate them again in 3 weeks when they are done blooming...... ;-)

Looks like the Bridge is open!
I would have put a Toll Booth there..... (it's a KY thing! lol!)

Got a shot of feeding time.

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well we got more trim done.
Slow go as we're making it up (and making it) on the fly.
But all the main design is done so it will go quickly from here on out.

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I love specimen Hosta.
Especially the 'vase shaped' ones.
Nothing makes a statement like 'Krossa Royal'.
Here it is w/ it's parent 'Krossa Regal' to the left.
Probably 30" tall now.

Rain next 4 days.....

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Ric, your garden looks great and the shelter too! Love your hosta! I think I will plant my fern in the garden too. What do you think?
Celia, I love your money plant!
Sally, hooray for the bridge! Can't wait to see your irises!
It's a wonderful day, but windy. 77F today.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

54 and it rained in the night with more to come. Good thing I dug some of the iris yesterday. The ground was just workable, and now, more rain.

We played outside with the boys all afternoon and early evening. Vanilla kept the gnats away pretty good.

I'll have to put my peat pots back in the garage or I won't be able to pick them up. So far nothing sprouted and I'm wondering if the seed is too old. It's also been a bit chilly for melons and squash.

Ric, it's a beautiful color! (Iris) I have a few favorites too, that I use here and there.

Kiska, I love the windchime! it's just like ice with color!

Adina, April showers bring May flowers. I always wonder what May showers brought :o) I love the blue iris's. Now that is a different white one. Is it more of a species? I like the green veins and the way it curls! Love the mushroom shot!

Celia, when your weather catches up, it really catches up! Love Batik! The Monarda looks great! It goes well with clear pink flowers. I have an accidental planting with Tree Mallow. The Cherry tree really grew! ROTFL!! It's hard to avoid the bird poop right now! No idea here either on what your no ID is. I have Sweet Rocket, but you get more bang from your buck (groan) with the Money plant. It has a lot more flowers!

Sunfarm, the bridge looks great!! It's off to town!!!

Pepper, I love Baptisia! Another picture when it's all open please :o)

Ric, great shot of the birds! It sure is a fantastic shed!! I have to agree with the vase shape. It's a beautiful Hosta!

Coral Reef Monarda I sent to Celia with Tree Mallow

Thumbnail by billyporter

Sally, ah, your garden looks amazing! Do you have a closer picture of the tree mallow? I "am" on the subject these days because I just wrote an article about the hollyhocks...BTW, it appeared today ...and I'll write another one about the little ones, the Malva mallows.
I'm not sure what species are those irises, but I'll make a research. I brought them from my other garden.
Posting another mushroom. They were in my lawn, very tiny...I had to lay in the grass to take those pics!LOL
The wind is blowing so hard I almost feel like Dorothy!LOL

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Iowa RU was a success. Brought home a couple new Hostas.
DW won top door prize. A little angel that will be nice by the pond.

Sunny today, hope to get a lot done.

Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Still not enough rain last night [0.41"] to wash mud off the vegetation in the area that flooded recently. I hope the forecast for more (but not too much) in the coming days holds true.
Here are some of the iris we got with the farm. These are all near the houses and sheds, but there are several beds up beyond the barn that really need thinning/dividing.

Thumbnail by sunfarm
(Zone 7a)

52.5 F with 76 for the high. Yes, we have finally caught up with everyone. LOL
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 58%
Dew Point: 38 F
Wind: 1.0 mph from the SSW
Wind Gust: 6.0 mph
Pressure: 30.09 in (Rising)
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

Gotta run. Going plinking this morning after I plant some things...

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Sunny is this the same Iris?
We're trying to ID it...

Celia Happy Plinking!
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the hibiscus & hollyhocks article, Adina. I have hibiscus just starting to come up but would really like some hollyhocks here. This old farmhouse seems to call for some in the yard.
Another iris.

Thumbnail by sunfarm
Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

My Internet connection is so slow I can't seem to post consecutive pictures!

Thumbnail by sunfarm
Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Last iris for now, at least from this bed near DD's house.

Thumbnail by sunfarm
Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Oops! There was another that I had not posted.

Thumbnail by sunfarm
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Nice irises! It's getting towards the end of the season here.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 11:51 AM PDT on May 16, 2010
71 F
Haze
Humidity: 53%
Dew Point: 53 F
Wind: 4 mph from the SE

pictures from Friday
farewell-to-spring or some other clarkia

Thumbnail by Kelli

silver puffs

Thumbnail by Kelli

I'm sure this trail is used every day but it hasn't stopped this section from getting all growed up with mustard. (Growed up? Yep, proper Pennsylvanianism for unruly growth.)

Thumbnail by Kelli

ladybug

Thumbnail by Kelli
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

TB Iris just starting to open here.

I've been planting Hostas this afternoon. If only I didn't have to remove weeds first!

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Little Angel is now at home by the pond.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
(Zone 3b)

55*F sunny and quite windy.
love the little angel/pond, CG.
bp~your flowers are so pretty.
adina~good job w/mushroom photo.
ric~the boardwalk looks great leading to the new building.
hi and have a great day.
son and family came over to uncover a portion of the garden and planted potatoes. Next week they'll do carrots, radishes, etc.

Thumbnail by kiska
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I can see the Moose in the background saying YUM! Taters! ;-)

Thanks on the Boardwalk/Workshop design.
We are maybe 2 weeks away from finishing the Boardwalk.
We wanted to finish all the major dirty projects first.
I will again sand it down then we will seal it w/ a deck varnish.
Robyn's thinking a transparent pecan stain.

Here's our newest addition to the Rabbit Garden. (between the HT and WS)

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

The Musk Rose is opening.
Friday there was one bloom, yesterday maybe a dozen, today 50 or so.... by mid week...
hundreds and hundreds.

Thumbnail by henryr10

High in the 50s with rain all day.....again. Tomorrow morning rain some more then hopefully a break for 2 days then rain for 3 days. I have maple seedlings sprouting everywhere now but can't pull em due to all the rain. My gardens are starting to look a bit unruly in a few spots again.

Another iris blooming today. If it has a tag I didn't look due to the rain. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Rain just hit a steady pace about 2 hours ago here.
Gave us time to get the veggie garden in and some weeding done.

You have some NICE Iris there Pep!

Thanks!! I've been very lucky know Norlan Henderson who manages the iris hill at Powell Gardens. He has certain sections thinned out every year so I've gotten most of them from him. Then my grandma has given me pretty much the rest except for about 12 I got from a co-op a few years ago. It would be nice if I could remember all the names!! LOL!!

Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Ric, I think your iris is pinker and brighter than mine, which is a more subdued bronze-y color. They are both beautiful.
Why did my cats think it was time for breakfast just 'cause I got up to take something for my aching knees and hips? Radar says rain is about to quit, at least for now. I hope! We have had enough for a while. Back to bed, at least for a few hours....

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

50 rain and it's chilly. Same old same old.

Adina, I'm sure I do. It's Tree Mallow - Lavatera thuringiaca. I got it in 2000. It re-seeds and you have to move them very early due to a long tap root. I love the clear pink color. It's perennial too. I need to take time and catch up on your articles and others. I seem to be busy all the time now. I adore Hollyhocks so I really want to read that article! LOL, Dorothy! Mushrooms always make a good picture.

Bernie, I'll bet DW was thrilled with the angel. She'll make a nice pond memory!

Sunfarm, I'm really starting to appreciate the old iris. Not all are flashy, but I like them. I have one similar, but a deeper antique rose.

Celia, what a neat planter! I'd like to see the whole thing. Nice hollyhocks! Have fun plinking! Now, what is plinking :o)

Oohhh Ric, very pretty pink iris!

Sunfarm, wow, we're getting an assortment of beautiful pink iris. I'll have to post my two no ID"s. Those are all pretty!

Kelli, I think we all need some Farewell To Spring. WOW on the Silver Puffs! I hope there are bees on all the Mustard. Isn't that a cute Ladybug!

Bernie, nice place for an iris bed! She's an adorable statue! How perfect!

Ric, your backyard transformation is almost complete and I love the new bunny! I'll bet the rose smells as good as it looks....sigh.

Oohhh Pepper, love the iris!

Sunfarm, same cats here LOL!

Kiska, a garden! How wonderful to see no snow! The kids look like they are enjoying themselves, LOL!

The boys go home this afternoon and one just got up.

Tree Mallow, showing bloom and seed capsules.

Thumbnail by billyporter
(Zone 7a)

BP, plinking is target practice. It was fun. I have a Walther P22 handgun and it seems to have a problem. It wouldn't fire properly. Everyone had a chance to look at it and couldn't figure out what's wrong with it. I'm taking it to a gunsmith today. The Henry was wonderful to shoot. No kick, sights were perfect. Fifteen shot cluster within a 4 radius at 50yds.

55.1 F with 83 fro the high.
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 43%
Dew Point: 33 F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 1.0 mph
Pressure: 29.90 in (Steady)
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 13000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft
(Above Ground Level)