May weather, something other than cold & rain.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Celia was that prone?
If not that's extremely impressive.
Never had a rifle that I didn't have to sight adjust.
More impressive!

Yep the main bones are now done in the yard.
Tweaking will take years and never be done but it's FAR exceeded our original design.
We're having a few people come through later in the Summer.
They own 'tour' gardens.
I'm curious on their take of what we've done.
They are friends not Friends and will be brutally honest.
We were w/ them at their places and you can see a few of our critiques were cleaned up... ;-)
Big problem now is we need to start cataloging the plants and labeling better.
Have to find a Database program that fits!

Well despite what the title of this current Thread is it's cold and rainy here...lol!
Well Cool and.......

Ric

(Zone 7a)

Ric, I'm too shaky after a pot of coffee to hold a rifle steady. LOL So, yes, I had a support. I've had fragmented, pictorial tours of your gardens but I would love to walk it someday.

And that is supposed to say 4" radius. Darrell is the champion shooter in our family. He can get a tighter grouping and has won trophies, which he never keeps.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

I am surprised at how much rain we have had. There was 0.93" in the gauge at official obs time of 8AM, and it has been misting this morning since then. This is what we needed all last week on the concrete bridge deck, though it is still helpful for continuing strength gain. Planted the basils I got at the herb club sale Saturday. Still have peppers and some decorative succulents to do, but I don't want to get too wet and chilled.

Cherries are starting to blush. I have been pestering DH to find the old unsolicited AOL (remember them?)and other CDs we didn't need but saved somewhere. They should be good bird deterrents if we can get them up in time.

(Zone 3b)

38*F~blue sky/patchy clouds.
will check back later~

Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Some sun between the clouds this afternoon, with temperature only reaching 72. There is a thunderstorm bearing down on us, but it does not look too widespread on the radar. A watch has been out since 3PM and is to end in an hour.
Here are some of the cherries.

Thumbnail by sunfarm
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Coolish and misty most of the day. Around 4pm it finally quit misting and the clouds broke up enough to see some blue skies but no sun. Temp went up too so I didn't need my sweater outside anymore.

Another iris that opened today. There's another one out there too that I haven't gotten yet. LOL

Thumbnail by pepper23

Ok, I went out and got a pic. It's not super clear because the camera's battery is almost dead but it's clear enough. This one has a tag but it's hard for me to read it.

Select Chance, Select Caroce? If anyone can nail this one I'd appreciate it!! LOL

Thumbnail by pepper23
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

How about Iris 'Select Circle'?

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Great irises, Pepper

Quoting:
I hope there are bees on all the Mustard.

Yes, there were. The bees also like the black sage.

We got rain for about two seconds around 5:30. Strange but true.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Finally quit drizzling but we never broke 60.
Looks like more of the same for the next two days.

Our neighbor Gene gave us another Gazebo.
He bought a new one and needed it gone fast.
We'll be giving it to Jon and Teri.... we have no more room....lol!

Picked up some more wood but it was too messy outside to break out the big saw.
So I made some shelves Robyn has needed for a while.
This of course means once again I won't know where anything is..... lol!

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Beautiful day here. 79, sunshine, light wind from SE.

Changed out 2 windows in DD house. By the looks of the ones we took out, the rest will be changed also. 1938 until now is just to long. Lots of punky wood & no insulation. New ones will only cost them about $1500. They are making this house salable so they can move to the country on a hobby farm.

DS & hired help planted the second batch of glads. Then she did some weeding. I will have her here around 25 hours a week for a while. Then add hours later.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Ours dated from 1930 and only two are still in good working order.
They are on the front porch which is glassed in so protected and insulation doesn't matter.
I agree the others were horrible and drafty!
Sounds like you are getting our weather from last week. ENJOY!

(Zone 3b)

Love looking at all these beautiful Iris and flowers. It'll happen here, too, eventually.
A quick drive of about 20 miles today up to Hatcher Pass. It's not yet spring there. There is no green, but the river is flowing.

Thumbnail by kiska
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

We went to the Round Up only 115 miles south of us & it's surprising how far ahead their plants are compared to ours.

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Cloudy today, but it's a bit warmer and the wind doesn't blow that hard. 60F at noon.
Wow, Jackie, lots of snow there! Glad the kids were there to help.
Sally, thanks for the picture!Beautiful!
Ric, great addition to your garden!
Kelli, I have mustard on the field, lots of them! And doggies too!LOL

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

54 and cloudy. It's to be partly sunny and in the low 70's. We took the boys home yesterday and today I need to mow.

Celia, I see. You have a Henry?! I have too much nervous energy running thru me to hit anything, I'm impressed with both of you!! Gorgeous pink bloom!

Ric, it's nice to have friends who can tell you like it is and give good advice too.

Sunfarm, glad the bridge is still continuing to get strong. Laughing over using AOL CD's :o) Big YUM on the cherries!

Pepper, I think I have the yellow iris and love the purple ruffled one!

Kelli, mustard honey doesn't sound too bad, LOL! Rain, blink and you miss it!

Ric, LOL over the shelves. Gives away a gazebo, wow!

Bernie, not too bad on the windows. Glad you found someone to help weed for a while.

Kiska, ROTFL over you finding snow for your scenic drive :o) It does look nice because we've been without it for so long now.

Adina, I smiled over the doggie, but cracked up when I spotted the second one!!

Oh my, it's nice to be back!

(Zone 7a)

Kiska, you look like you're shoveling snow off the mountain!!! LOL

BP, yes, we just got 2 of them. A Frontier model and a Golden Boy.

52.0 F
Light Rain
Humidity: 77%
Dew Point: 45 F
Wind: 1.0 mph
Wind Gust: 8.0 mph
Pressure: 29.82 in (Rising)
Visibility: 9.0 miles
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Few 2000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 4600 ft
Overcast 6000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

Since we had problems with the Walther P22, Darrell let me get another handgun. Ruger Mark III, .22 (this isn't it)

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Cloudy this morning but then the sun came out and the heat cranked up!! Everyone perked up and was in an excellent mood. LOL. Tomorrow though, a slow moving system will hit and dump 1-3 inches of rain.

Here is one of my iris beds. This is where majority of the irises I have are. In the upper left hand corner you will see more irises by the tree. I also have another bed to the left and below that tree. LOL. I'll try to get pics in the morning before the rain hits again of whole beds.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Pepper that's filling in nicely!

Adina everyone over here knows you can't have Dogs w/o Mustard..... well Hot Dogs....

Well the rain held off long enough for use to visit another DG'ers Garden.
She had some Siberian Iris she traded for the 'Pink' Bearded we have.
By the time we got home it was already 1:30....
We did get the front trim finished on the WS and Robyn started repairing some old furniture we had in the yard.
It will be painted up and used in displays or as plant stands.
Raining heavily about an hour ago.
Never broke 60...

Ric

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Ric, LOL!
Sally, glad you had fun!
Pepper, beautiful iris bed!
Sun, your irises are amazing! Just saw some like yours in somebody's garden today.
It's getting warm, but last night we had to turn on the furnace, it was too cold in our bedroom and I didn't want to sleep with my winter cap on!LOL
The wind has stopped and it was a sunny day, with a few fluffy clouds.
Rainbow a week ago. It was so big, but I only could get a picture of half.LOL

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

Pep your yellow irises look like mine!

LOL Mustard Dogs!

Nice pic of the bird Celia!

Cool rainbow, I love it when they're full, even more when they double.

Look at all that snow!!

Love the Irises Sun!! Gorgeous!

Thumbnail by crissyr
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Yes most Dogs Relish Mustard...... it's a pickle...... :-0

Sorry I'm rereading Piers Anthony... the King of Puns...

...no circumstances, however dismal, will ever be considered a sufficient excuse for the admission of that last and saddest evidence of intellectual poverty, the Pun.
- Mark Twain, a Biography

This message was edited May 19, 2010 9:49 AM

(Zone 7a)

Very punny...now, let's move on... (I love Piers, haven't read that one)

53.8 F with 68 for the high.
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 71%
Dew Point: 45 F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.05 in (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 3500 ft
Mostly Cloudy 5500 ft
Mostly Cloudy 7000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Last evening.

This message was edited May 20, 2010 8:44 AM

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 3b)

52* breezy and sunny~
Adina~the rainbow is so pretty. How nice that it was so big.
Frank is not driving yet so I get to do it-I enjoy driving, especially the Hatcher Pass road.
`one shovelful at a time:)) In a few weeks mother nature will have finished w/winter there, and very quickly, wildflowers and tiny streams will flow down the sides.
kwanjin~love the evening cloudy sky.
crissyr~what a beautiful shade of yellow.
ric~the newly painted furniture will look great-photos, too?
CG~glad the visit went well. We're considering flying to Minneapolis and renting a car to visit Iowa, Michigan next spring. Family in E. MIchigan, but the drive seems daunting going through Chigago/Detroit citiies.
pepper~the iris beds are great~I love those "old" stately flowers.
bp~mowing is a satisfying job, isn't it? Looks great and smells good.
Open water on the Little Susitna. It's now as low as it gets. Once the snow begins to melt upstream, it will be wild and filling from bank to bank.

Thumbnail by kiska
Lewisville, TX(Zone 7b)

Hey dear friends, I am sorry I can't stay long & I am WAY overdue, I know.. & it will be even more so as I don't know when I can get on again.. I am off to do my Emmaus walk tomorrow evening, right through to Sunday evening. We are due for rain tonight but it's supposed to be in the 90's & sunny all weekend!! I just hope whatever it is they have us doing it's all indoors!!!! hahahahahahahha ( I think it is!).

Miss you all & hope everyone is doing well.....hugs!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

What a beautiful rainbow Adina!
We are rarely in position to get a shot.... we're a bit closed in here. THANKS!

Kiska that stream looks so peaceful now.
Hard to believe what the melt water will do... but I can see where it's carved those side out.

We're actually at 63.
Warmest it's been in days.
Hope the beans we put in don't rot on us....

Tomatoes and Peppers look very good though.

Well 3 sides down on the Workshop.
The toughest to go.... I only have about 18" between it and the bamboo.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
(Zone 3b)

Good luck, cindylove~not sure what the walk is, but sounds intense.

High of 62 and rain off and on all day. Will rain thru tomorrow then the heat and humidity come back in full force. By Sunday we should be close to 90 degrees. UGH!!

My Golden Showers rose is blooming. I couldn't detect a fragrance though. Now I want Don Juan just so I have fragrance. LOL

(Zone 3b)

ric~crossed~the flowers are beautiful-so tall and full of blooms; very pretty.
pepper~crossed again:)) Hopefully there'll be fragrance.

This message was edited May 19, 2010 4:38 PM

Thumbnail by kiska

I forgot the pic. LOL

Thumbnail by pepper23
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

This is Paul's Musk Rose.
One of the most fragrant there is.
Originally developed for the perfume industry Musk Roses can knock you over w/ odor.

It's maybe 1/4 open as of sundown.

Thumbnail by henryr10
Lewisville, TX(Zone 7b)

Kiska.. the Emmaus walk is like a spiritual retreat... it's called Emmaus as it is what Jesus did on his journey... all I know is that it's an individual thing, I will have other ladies from all over the region there & some things are going to happen through out the weekend! hahaha.. no watches, no clocks, cell phones, cameras, etc are allowed!!

I will try to describe it when I get back...

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Well another beautiful day here. Never bothered with looking at the thermometer, but must have been close to 80. Nice breeze to keep[ from over heating.
We worked on DD house. Got a bunch of siding on until we run out of one little piece of channel for above a door.

Planted an Iris I bought yesterday from a good friend at the market. No I.D. but it is blue to purple & smells like grape kool-aid.

Also finished the mulch on a new Hosta bed.
Some Hostas came from the RU.
Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

55 and cool. May get some rain today. We should have a high in the lower 70's and a light east wind.

I've been weeding the largest flower bed, and with DH help, it's done. Now I want to get it Preened! He hoed the harden too. We're eating radish and spinach and hoping the asparagus starts growing again. It slowed down with the cold weather.

Celia, nice guns! They do a show on the Henry's once in a while. Now, you weren't mistaking that for a clay pigeon were you?

Pepper, you have a nice iris bed with a lot of room to fill in!

Ric, groaning on the floor laughing!

Adina, that is the most spectacular rainbow!! And a house of gold at the end :o)

Chrissy, nice close-up of the iris.

Celia, I never met a sky I didn't like!

Kiska, I love stream pictures. Now you and Frank will have to drive back and show it ''raging!'' I see about 20 rocks I want from the second picture!

Cindylove, I hope you have a peaceful walk and a very nice time. Come back refreshed!

Ric, if I had a place for the musk rose......

Pepper, it's all coming this way, heat too. Oohhh, love the rose! No fragrance is a disappointment.

Bernie, they sound like the Pallida iris. Most people call it a violet smell, but not me. I even tag them as Purple Koolaid. I love to walk by and catch a whiff of them. Nice hosta bed. Can't wait to see it when it fills in!

The peonies are huge this year and really smell good!

Thumbnail by billyporter
Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Picked about a pint of cherries when I went out in the fog to check the rain gauges. I am determined to get at least enough for a pie before the birds swoop in. I am willing to let them have the ones too high for me to pick while standing on the ground, but they don't seem to understand my concept of sharing the harvest. The dew was so heavy I got a shower every time I moved a branch.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

SUN!
Maybe up to 80 today!

Bernie that Hosta bed should soon be amazing!
I envy many of you the space to set up beds like that.

BP nice Pineys!
We used to grow a lot of them at our other house.
Our neighbor's Father had left her a legacy of Heirloom Peonies.
Rows and Rows they were amazing.
We picked the blooms by the 5 gallon bucket.

Have to go over and check the veggies.
Then we'll be finishing up the detail work on the 3 sides of the WS we've sided so far.

That Paul's Musk Rose is just the ticket if you have a large tree.
They grow about 35' up into the tree and actually prefer shade.
No issues.... Black Spot, Aphids, etc.....

Ric

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I don't know how I get so far behind. I think I have answered everything then you guys go and get really chatty and I am "behind-er and behind-er"!

Ric: Wow, a rose with no aphids or black spot!? send me one! LOL I have the perfect place for it too, if it likes shade! Will you please tell me again how to make the mudpie concoction for the butterflies? I have a small pot saucer which I am going to glue to my ladder for the butterflies. I never printed out your directions from before and it is much easier for you to tell me again than it is for me to go back and try to find them. LOL I promise to print them out this time.
Very funny about Adina's mustard and the (hot) dogs!
Pepper: nice iris bed!
Bernie, your new hosta bed is looking good. The photo is is what a portion of my new shade bed is looking like after just putting it in last fall. Charlotte (cperdue), who lives about 30 miles from me, moved a bunch of her plants around last fall and needed to get rid of some of her hostas. I was one of the happy recipients of a good many of them.

Sorry, no time to comment on everything. I have to make a run to "walley world", in spite of the rain.

It is raining here and 63F. Definitely won't be working outside today but I have plenty I need to do in the house. The only thing is that housework and laundry isn't nearly as much fun as being in the flowerbeds! LOL

Thumbnail by marsue
(Zone 7a)

Time to play outside again. Weeding hasn't been done and more planters to fill.

61.8 F with 65 for the high.
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 39%
Dew Point: 37 F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 5.0 mph
Pressure: 29.93 in (Steady)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Few 7000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 10000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Nice bed, Marsue. Those annuals will fill things in until the hostas grow bigger.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Sunfarm, how nice to have a cherry tree! Is it a semi-dwarf or an old tall one? Sweet or sour? Now that is a dew!

Ric, my Grandma and Dad call them Pineys :o) I would have loved to see all those rows and smelled them! I'm tempted, but aren't the Musks a zone 6 limit?

Mau, but you are always missed! Isn't that so, but housework eventually has to be done :o( When those impatiens fill out it's going to be wonderful color! It will feel 10 cooler back there! Your lady sculpture is cute!

Celia, playing in the dirt! Is that Betony? I love the shape of the blooms.

I managed to pick spinach and radish before the light rain we're getting. It looks much rainier on the AccuWeather Radar. I planted a new yellow iris from a fellow DG'er and sprinkled Preen on the newly weeded bed!

It's 60, down from 68 before the rain! It is raining lightly right now. I need to clean up before we leave for DGS's pre-school graduation. 20 kids in his class. This should be cute!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images