May weather, something other than cold & rain.

(Zone 7a)

BP, that Lamium is 'Chequers'. Only one of them is blooming. The other 2 look great but no flowers.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Sunny, Bright, 77 - off to cut lawn as it is to start raining again tomorrow and continue for a week.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Rain off and on with high humidity and higher temps. Tornado touchdowns earlier in Warrensburg, a college town southeast of here about 30 min and it also hit Whiteman AFB but no touchdowns there, just wall cloud. It then hit Sedalia, home of the MO State Fair, and was really weak. It was supposed to hit Hughesville, which is north of there but don't know if the wall cloud hit there or not. That is where leaflady lives. I called her but she apparently wasn't home so I will check on her tomorrow after work.

Ok, here are my iris beds. This one is in front of the deck running parallel to driveway. We hope to replace our walls this year. They are close to 15 years old and as you can see they are starting to break apart.

Thumbnail by pepper23

This is around the corner from the other one. You can see the lights in the other pic.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Paul's Musk Rose is VERY cold hardy and surprisingly heat tolerant too.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/64797/

Mau mix 1:1 Garden soil from an area no pesticides or BT was used and composted Cow Manure.
Wet until damp or muddy, sprinkle just a very little Kosher or Non-Iodized Salt.
You can add a couple of fruit slices but I find these attract bees and wasps more than Butterflies in our area.
Keep it damp all Summer.
I tip the feeder slightly so there is standing water on one end damp mud on the other.

Thumbnail by henryr10
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks, BP; It's always nice to be missed! I bought that 'lady' at a place in Louisiana when I went down to the RU this last week-end.
Celia: I like the lamium, too. Pretty little flowers.
Pepper: glad those tornadoes didn't touch down near your place.
Thanks for the 'recipe', Ric. I will print it off this time. :o)) Neat old high chair. Are you going to put a pot in it? I might have to get me one of those Musk Roses.

Currently 71F clear skies

Thumbnail by marsue
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I'll try again to get some rooted cuttings from the Paul's Musk.
So far no good but......

All the chairs but one will become plant stands.

Thumbnail by henryr10
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

LOVE that red chair with the clematis! What is that big-leafed plant on the left and what kind of hosta is that on the right? Inquiring minds want to know. LOL

edited to ask: Is there a vine that will grow in the shade that I could plant to climb on that mannequin? If not, I can always put her in the sun bed and plant a clematis to grow on her.

This message was edited May 20, 2010 9:20 PM

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

LOL!
Kelli asked the same thing on Cubits.
That's Petasites japonica
The Hosta is 'Big Daddy'

I'd go w/ an Ivy on the mannequin.
But there are hundreds of shade vines.
Set her in a bed of Naked Ladies.....?

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

60, foggy across the field and only going to be this warm all day. We might get more rain.

Graduation was adorable. 20 little ones sang a few songs with gestures. They had colored bells and rang them along to music when their teacher held up their color on a card. They sprayed the floor with water from a squirt bottle to sing "Squeaky Clean." They pretended to wash up, and brush their teeth. Then moved their feet on the floor so they squeaked. It's theri favorite song and it was cute!

Celia, Lamium is nice! I love the small streak of white.

Dyson, rain mow, rain mow. At least you don't have to water the garden :o)

Pepper, I'm glad you had no touch downs and hope Leaflady has nothing either. What a great place to see the iris every day. I wish they bloomed longer :o( Nice wall! What a perfect backdrop. I'd love to have room for all those iris! Are the lights solar or wired?

Ric, I think why I never got one is that they are so heavy that a tree is the best place to support one. But the aroma..... I'd like to smell one. Neat Chairs!! I love the clematis and the red chair! What a neat idea! I tried rooting the Yellow Rose of Texas and never had any luck.

Mau, I always notice, sooner or later that someone is missing and I do miss them! Lovely blue on the Hydrangea.

A bed of Naked Ladies! ROTFL over the perfect answer!

Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Good morning all! We found 0.08" of rain in the gauge this morning. It started just after the lawn mowing was finished. Perfect timing. If the lawn had grown any more we would have needed a goat instead of a mower; thanks to the flooding, bridge deck curing, and more rain we went longer than we should have before mowing.

Took a picture of some interesting growth on the edge of my catnip bed.

BP, the cherries are on trees we transplanted from volunteers from 3 old trees in our front yard that were overgrown a few years ago and had to be cut down. They are best for cooking--a bit on the tart side, but still edible as is. I try to freeze them for upside-down cake, pies, etc. throughout the year.

Thumbnail by sunfarm
(Zone 7a)

I love fresh cherries. My neighbors tree is covered in them every year but he never sprays and they get worms. Ick.

48.9 F with 70 for the high.
Mostly Cloudy
Windchill: 49 F
Humidity: 62%
Dew Point: 36 F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 29.85 in (Steady)
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 9000 ft
Mostly Cloudy 11000 ft
(Above Ground Level)

A buddy of Darrell's gave me one of his 'Old German' tomato plants. Yippee!

Thumbnail by kwanjin
(Zone 3b)

38* bright and beautiful.
bp~I loved your description of the graduation. Very sweet.
Mud pies for butterflies is a new recipe to me; sounds great.
We had a nice rainfall night before last that was needed. It seems so clean again. The glacial dust is gray and needed washed off.
Have a wonderful day and weekend and hi to everyone.
Taken last August~

Thumbnail by kiska
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Quoting:
Taken last August

And the bridge forum keeps going strong! :-)

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Iris are blooming nicely today.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

The Iris bed.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

This pic & the next 2 are the same bed. To big to get it in one picture.

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Last bed.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Ric: "Set her in a bed of Naked Ladies...?" ROTFLOL!!! Actually, I do have a couple of naked ladies in my flower bed but they are up against the fence and some of the taller plants are hiding them. My mannequin wouldn't show up there.

BP: I loved your description of the graduation. Brings back memories of my own grandkids' kindergarten years. They are all so cute at that age. (It's a different story when they get to be teens!--not so "cute", then. How is it that teens all of a sudden get smarter than everybody else when they hit 13?)
Sunfarm: toadstools! I've had some of those to pop up in my gardens after we've had a lot of rain.
Celia: you are going to have tomatoes, too!
Kiska: Alaska in August--sounds lovely!
LOL @ Kelli :o))
Bernie: lovely, lovely iris. I really like the yellow iris against the blue background of your house. Do you have the name of the burgundy iris in your 2nd photo. I', seriously thinking about buying some re-blooming iris. I received Dutch Gardens' catalogue a couple of days ago and they have several re-blooming iris. I have never been disappointed in anything I have ordered from Dutch Gardens. I ordered a few things from them last season. One of the plants was a blue hellebore. I can hardly wait until it blooms next season.

I finished planting my RU plants this morning. Plus I dug up 3 roses that I needed to get out of my front flowerbed. That bed is mostly clay and sand, although we did add garden soil to it plus several inches of mulch. The roses, though, haven't done well in that bed--constantly getting black spot. I lost 3 roses frrm that bed last year. When I dug up the 3 plants this morning, they were just standing in water because of the recent rains we have had and water doesn't drain well from clay. The knock-out roses, daylilies and iris seem to be doing quite well in that bed--just not the hybrid tea roses. I am going to give the roses to Kathy Ann, one of my Mid-south gardening friends. She is starting a new section at her place for roses. She has 5 acres so there is plenty of room for adding new flower beds. If any of you are on Facebook you should "friend" Kathy Ann (Kathy Algood). You can see a lot of her photographs there on her FB page. She has some beautiful gardens!

Red Fox Veronica and blue salvia

Thumbnail by marsue
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Sunfarm, the rain has had some good timing here too. Interesting mushrooms! The cherries sound good! When DH was still at work, a guy would go to Michigan and pick up concentrated cherry juice and dried cherries. We got the juice. It was a bit tart and good! Cherries are supposed to be a good cancer preventer.

Celia, my neighbor has a small ancient tree. It's been there since I was a kid. It gets fungus because the kids who live there now don't use them. It's a sweet cherry too! Nice tomato in a nice set-up!! We found cages and a stake is the way to go!

Kiska, thanks! :o) I love that picture! Calender worthy!! I'm going to try the butterfly recipe too!

Kelli, ROTFL!!

Oh Bernie, so many beautiful iris to look at! Wow, you chose the right name for yourself! Wonderful ''gardens'' of flowers! It must be so peaceful there.

Marsue, thanks! :o) They do seem to pick up knowledge at that age. I was 13 once, but I don't remember now, that I was so smart, LOL! I like Dutch Gardens too, but their prices jumped too much for me and they are more into Dahlias than the oriental lilies. I got most of my lilies from them. I have the veronica and salvia and love both of them.

Dinner?

Thumbnail by billyporter
(Zone 7a)

Yuuuum!!! When do we eat?

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

:o)

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

I looked at marker & the name on there does not fit was is there. The name is for a yellow one. These came from a co-op on here, but from a grower. I guess you can't depend on anything being right. Another two that I got from a DG member are side by side & blooms are exactly the same.
I'll just plant & enjoy. Markers are to expensive anyhow.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Looks like we're getting some weather here in a bit.
Dyson dark!

Ric

Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Cherries are great for arthritis too!
We have had a few sprinkles today, but the showers are so widely scattered there is only a trace of precip in the gauge. Hope everyone has a great weekend.
I won't post the picture of the 5' rat snake I nearly tripped over on my way to the compost pile (unless you really want me to). He was pretty neat looking--to those of us who don;t mind snakes. They do eat mice!

Great irises, Bernie!

I love cherries but I can't eat them because they cause me troubles.

Feels every bit of 73F

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on May 21, 2010
73 F
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 38%
Dew Point: 46 F
Wind: 10 mph from the SSE

Some pictures from earlier today
Chaparral pea is very uncommon around here but is supposed to be more common in the real mountains.

Thumbnail by Kelli

some kind of grass that I liked

Thumbnail by Kelli

virgins bower is going to seed

Thumbnail by Kelli

Can you hear me now?

Thumbnail by Kelli

Broom is very invasive when it finds a place it likes, but it also smells very good.

Thumbnail by Kelli

last one

Thumbnail by Kelli
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Sunfarm, I'll look at your snake!

Kelli, sorry for your troubles :o(
Love the pea! It reminds me of the peremnnial sweet pea. Neat grass picture! Cool, the bower resembles a clematis seed head. Laughing! I can hear you! I didn't know broom smelled good. Wow, what a view! I see flowers I'd like to have, but learn why it's better to go see them :o)

We never got any rain today and I had a nice long walk around town. It's almost 70, cool, cloudier now than it was 10 minutes ago and is going to get mighty warm here over the next few days.

Irvine, KY(Zone 6a)

Just for your eyes only BP! This is the first I have seen this year.
More showers around, but temps are pleasant.

Thumbnail by sunfarm
(Zone 3b)

Length Of Visible Light: 20h 54m
Sunrise: 4:50
Sunset: 10:57
63*F and once again, windy.
sunfarm~thanks for early warning; I shudder at the thought of your pest-patrol.
kelli~yep~the bridges just keep coming. My sister is looking up the covered bridge, Bridgeport, for a ride/destination. Thanks for that one. Love your photos.
CG~so pretty~love what you've done.
Thanks, bp.

Thumbnail by kiska

A perfect day today!! Sunny and warm at about 72.

The lights in my last pic do work and they are wired. We have too much shade to get away with solar. The lights help us see the driveway at night. With the driveway being curved it comes in handy. lol

Bluestone Perennials is having their half off sale today. There's still time to hit it. I got me a few plants.

Deutzia gracilis 'Chardonnay Pearls' got me 2
Geranium Biokovo one group of 3
Hollyhock Creme de Cassis one group of 3
Anemone Max Vogel one group of 3

Here are more pics of my different iris beds and areas. This is around the flag pole.

Thumbnail by pepper23

This is in one of my shadier spots. It's on the other side of the deck across from the driveway. lol

Thumbnail by pepper23
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Handsome snake Sunny!

Kiska looks like everyone is out beating cabin fever!

Nice shots again Kelli!
It's good to see dry!!!
I love the smell of Broom. We've had it a few times over the years.
I think we are just too wet for it.

We got smacked hard.
The front came in straight from the South.
Usually our weather comes from the S/W.

Haven't checked the gauge but we had to have gotten 2" of rain in the hour between 4:30 and 5:30.
Lots of close lightning strikes.
My 'Puter was turned off and in a protector and still got a bit scrambled.
Had to open in repair mode.
Everything is fine but......
The Ponds and Waterfeatures are all overflowing.
The Stack Pond was down 2" or more before the rain.
Small band moving in again.

After tomorrow it's Sunny and upper 80's all week!

We did get another seat repaired after the morning shower.
I headed to the Library, Post Office and Grocery while it was raining during the early afternoon shower...lol!

Ric

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Kiska: how is Frank's foot doing? You are getting lots of daylight!
Pepper: sounds like you got some good deals at Bluestone. Is that iris in your last photo a pink one? Sometimes it is hard to tell from the photos.
LOL, Kelli, at "Can you hear me now?"
Ric: I'm sorry about you getting "smacked" but glad nothing was badly damaged.

We were in the mid to high 80's today. Tomorrow and the next few days, we will be in the low 90's! too hot for this time of year!

My what big teeth you have!

Thumbnail by marsue

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images