Pictures of outdoors Amaryllis (Hippeastrum)

Waxhaw (Charlotte), NC(Zone 7b)

Here is (finally) a picture of the outdoor grown hippeastrum in flower. I planted two more this spring, so I hope (expect) a bigger show next year. If I add two per year, in a few years, it should look great !!! Too bad the flowering is done so quickly !!

Thumbnail by kdjoergensen
(Doug) Murfreesboro, TN

Could you tell me how long ago you planted these two and how deeply you planted them? Have they remained there or have you lifted them? What is the name of the red and white one?

The pictured amaryllis are Minerva (red/white) and Apple Blossom (Pink)

I planted the Amaryllis outdoors last summer and left them over the winter. The neck of the bulb was planted about 2" deep. In early winter, I covered the entire area with a bale of pine needles. This spring, I removed the pine needles and shortly thereafter, they sprouted.

I was really thrilled when they bloomed. I have another (second) flower stalk coming up on the Minerva.

I only planted them last year, so this was really my first test to see if they could survive zone 7b winters in NC. They did.

I have now planted two more bulbs which I expect (hope) will survive next year.

A note: The winter in Charlotte was particular cold compared to normal (for Charlotte, that is), so I had honestly written them off. I was naturally very thrilled to see them bloom.

(Doug) Murfreesboro, TN

I am in Tennessee, and we had the same sharp, prolonged winter that you did in NC. I lost some newly planted Henryi lily bulbs to it. Then, about a week ago, I had an enormous surprise. An amaryllis bloomed in one of my flower beds. See the picture I have attached. This bulb has been there about three years, having been planted the spring after it bloomed indoors at Christmas time. I had noticed that it grew green leaves every year, but I did not think it would ever bloom again. I checked on the planting depth of mine, and the top of the bulb is about three inches deep. Now that I know that hippeastrums will survive my winters handily, I will plant some prime bulbs this fall. Their bloom time fills a nice opening after tulips but before gladiolus.

Thumbnail by Cibarius

That is a great Apple Blossom

I found that fertilizing the bulbs plenty in the green growing season will give better chance of flowers in spring.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I've forgot to pull up an Apple Blossom last fall and to my surprise, it returned :) Bloomed very well too!

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

what is the best way to fertilize?? I use Miracle Grow all thru the garden....is that enough??

noonamah, Australia

I got large 3 Hippeastrum papilio bulbs last year and planted them in pots. They got good regular fertilising and produced great luxuriant leaves right through summer. Two even produced some pups. We're approaching mid winter here now. I stopped with the fertiliser but all 3 still have luxuriant leaves and aren't showing any signs of dormancy.

I understand they have to go dormant before they'll come out in flower. Anyone know at how low a temperature they start dormancy? I've a horrible feeling I might be stuck with a constant lot of beautiful luxuriant leaves but no flowers. I'd rather have paid less if I was going to just have a nice broad leafed grass :O(

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

NEED HELP! I have several LEAFY plants that I have lost tags from... I'm almost certain these are Amaryllis or Crinum...I wanted to ask here cause ya'll would know what the leaves look like best!

Thanks in advance..BTW..these have been LEAFY for almost 2 years with no blooms.. and I'm also thinking if they ARE Amaryllis, they are def. too deep.

Thumbnail by DIRTYGIRL71
Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

Thumbnail by DIRTYGIRL71
Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

Thumbnail by DIRTYGIRL71
Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

and that's enough...

Thanks again...if I can get these to give me a bloom, I'll post again to see if we can name them ~LOL~

Thumbnail by DIRTYGIRL71
noonamah, Australia

The first and third look like Hippeastrums, the second is a Crinum.

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

Thank You!

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

looking @ the. Pics...so I have the deep enough? Too deep?? Like I said...no blooms in almost 2 years...I an even willing to dig them up & let ya'll tell me how deep.

I have some planted deeply and others shallowly. They all bloom. I hear that deeply planted hippeastrum (amaryllis) bulbs do not bloom reliably, so you could try to lift them if you are in doubt.

I usually find they bloom best with lots of fertilizer in spring and early summer.

I would also look at whether they get a rest period. This is not a problem here in zone 7b because they go dormant in winter. blooming typically occurs after a rest period. If they do not get a rest period in zone 9b, it may mean they do not bloom on regular schedule

noonamah, Australia

I might put one of mine in a refrigerator over night for a while and see what it does. Successive nights of low temps might convince it to go to sleep.

Here's the 3 of them today, the leaves are up to 87 centimetres (2.85 feet) long.

Thumbnail by tropicbreeze
Wauchula, FL(Zone 9b)

They will not continue to bloom if they are planted too deep. They should have at least 1/4 to 1/3 of the bulb above the ground. I have to lift mine every few years as they seem to sink into the ground. Mine are all in the ground!
Hope this helps.

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

I did lift them

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.