New bees chit chat - come on in!! 05/17/2010

Fair Play, SC(Zone 7b)

OH, I thought that was what you called a surprise lily. I'm sure it was in some bulbs you sent me, but wow, now I don't know. Someone sent them, I thank you who ever you are!

Fair Play, SC(Zone 7b)

Thought you all might like to see my butterfly on the red hot pokers.

Thumbnail by mekos
Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

I have grown all my veggies this year in the little peat pods and used grow lights. Do you think they will be ok if I start them that way?

Fair Play, SC(Zone 7b)

Mechelle they would probably grow fine that way but much more trouble. Just pull a row off how long you want it and drop seeds every couple inches and in a few days they will sprout and keep on growing. Then you don't have to transplant or mess with anything not necessary. They very easy to grow. Every so many feet, change to a diiferent bean and keep going till you get all you want planted. If you plant runner beans you got stake them or plant beside corn stalks so they can climb up them.

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Thats a good idea about growing them next to the corn. I did plant some corn that is starting to come up.

Fair Play, SC(Zone 7b)

We always did that. Wait till the corn is about 4-6 inches tall and put 2 seeds at the foot of each corn stalk so the bean can climb. when the bean sprouts and starts to run the corn will be tall and strong enough that the bean won't pull it down. That way you don't have to stake them.

Pearland, TX

We did that. Although we also did the full Three Sisters planting. My husband claims that it is HIS garden. I'll beg to differ, but as long as he's excited about it, I'll let him think that. He's even all excited that we have baby squashes on our plants. Silly man.

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Mm you make me hungry is there something better than potatoes naww silly question .....

Castlewood, SD

yall made me hungry just reading all this..lol.. finally got everything planted ;) at least of what all was wet n sprouting. What a mess..lol.. yes those kiddos in the pictures are mine (one wasnt pictured - she was just a little thing) Very pretty flowers Mekos 8-) Beans are pretty easy to grow, however I've only grown bush type plants in the past (its what works best for us.) This year I thought for fun we would plant some with pods that grow 18 - 20 inches. I cant wait to see how they turn out. Hopefully they will be somewhat straight and hold up good to being pickled for dilly beans !!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Mechelle - I direct sow all my seeds into the garden for the most part... About the only things I start inside are peppers, tomatoes and basil. They need that extra time to grow because we have such hot summers. I start them inside in December and plant out normally around Valentine's Day...

Castlewood, SD

Ok ... just have to ask I've been reading off of this other spot ~
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1101381/
does anyone know what is going on?

Philadelphia, PA

Hello Everyone
What's new with everyone? I see Seray has decided to leave me but RRM decided to stay. Hi Jan. How are you? Is that beautiful baby keeping you busy?

Hi Kelly, are your irises still blooming? Trish how is Caleb?
Hey Robin, I got your hostas lol Mechelle you have the most beautiful animals I've seen and that garden is to die for.

Is everyone Boycotting BP ?

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

It's a long story Ayrica... and not a pleasant one. I for one just renewed my membership last month and will be here until ??? It's not a nice situation, but we also don't know the entire story I'm sure. So, I'm going to carry on until I feel differently and go from there...

Mit - too hot for any more blooms this spring I fear. Once I get those babies in the ground this fall though it's on.

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Yeah - I decided to stay here, too. That "other site" just had a lot of useless talk that I didn't really have time to get into. You people make a lot more sense to me.

Okay - Potatoes...I love them! We live in potato country right here in western NY, can buy a nice 10 pound bag of whites or reds for $1.69 at the local farm market. We cook them 50 different ways.

Easy to grow, too. Take a single sprouted out potato tuber, put into a 5 gallon recycle pail (a few holes drilled for drainage), fill with decent quality potting soil. Wait a couple of months until the lush foliage starts to die back before uprooting the whole pail to reveal your "new" potatoes. I've even seen them grown in soil bags partially cut open to plant the tubers.

Al

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Glad I'll have some company here for a while Al - lol...

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Hi everyone,
What a busy horse day I've had! Cleaned stalls, trimmed hooves, worked with the new colt, I am pooped!

Thanks for the compliments Mitt;-)

Mekos, I am going to take yours and Kelly's advice and try planting some beans by the corn. I guess I'll have to get some bean seeds. because I only have like 12 Italian Flat Bean seeds. I don't really know a lot about those kind of beans. Does anyone have any bean seeds they'd like to trade?

Al, I planted some of your sunflowers all around the yard a few days ago ;-) It'll be so pretty! I am glad you are staying here and you know what, I plan to stay here no matter what the situation is that's going on. It doesn't really matter to me who owns DG. I respect the fact that Dave and Trish started all of this and he gets full credit for that. This site is wonderful and it's my lifeline to my gardening world and I probably will be a member as long as it remains on the internet. Period. I don't feel like the situation is any of my business or concern. It sucks for the people who have invested their time on the other site. I have some great friends who have. But in a way, I understand it also. If you or I purchased a business for X amount of dollars, we wouldn't want the old owners competing with our business, especially if there was a non-compete clause in our contract. You have to admit, it was happening as a lot of people were leaving here to go to the other one. I hope none of you leave and we all realize how much DG is a valuable tool in so many ways. I'm sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings and I don't mean to spark a debate in any way. Dave is a good person and he will handle everything and we really shouldn't worry about it. I just had to say that and be done with it.

Hope you all had a good day and I will see you in the a.m. :-)
Hugs, Mechelle

Castlewood, SD

I will be staying as well.. I enjoy the company of everyone on here. I know first hand that there is always two sides to a story and I feel sorry for the parties involved. This site is awesome and it was made that way by people that put their heart and souls into life. For me its a lifeline.. a retreat... or tea break (whatever.) Being a stay at home mom of 4 can be exhausting and I look forward to this "me" time because I dont get much of it !! I thoroughly enjoy everyones pictures, recipes, etc.. so keep em coming!!
Is the topic still Tators???...lol
Let me tell ya .. I think my favorite way is take some tators, wash them good & cube them up. Set aside in a packet made from foil or a throw away alluminum pan. Fry up some bacon (hickory or mesquite are my faves) make sure you get it just right crispy but not too bad, drain bacon but reserve the pan drippings, Crumble bacon into 1-2 in. pieces & set aside. Chop up onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, and jalapenos toss all into the bag. Sprinkle with mccormick season salt, garlic powder, onion powder, rosemary, thyme, and pepper. Add the bacon and pour some of the fat or all (if not too much) into the mix. Stir it pretty good so all has the coatings. Cover with more foil leaving a steam spot. The intense aroma I Luv ! Bake or grill until the tators are tender. Can be served with sour cream or french onion dip and sprinkled with colbyjack, but I like em just the way they are.

Well goodnight my new friends and God Bless
Ayrica

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Good morning......

Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

My two cents...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=7833266

This message was edited May 27, 2010 12:25 PM

Thumbnail by arejay59
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Morning peeps...

Mekos, I will be very sad to see you go, but we have other ways to stay in touch.

Although I am terribly upset by this entire ordeal, I have to agree with Mechelle that it's really none of my business. Everyone is emotional and upset, understandably. However, we only know part of the story and bits and pieces of what is truly happening. Personally I plan to stand back, read the posts on the DG Forum to stay in the loop and keep my mouth shut. It's a legal matter as far as I'm concerned and I am not a lawyer by a long shot;o) I plan to use DG for the resource it is as long as I feel comfortable here. Right now there is just too much uncertainty and speculation and I just feel I need to stay out of it...

Castlewood, SD

I agree .. for now there isnt much to do.. I'll just sit back too and see how things go.
But should things turn in a different direction ~ here is my email addy ~ [email protected] and I'm also on FB ~ Ayrica DeBoer
I hope that other actions wont be needed to keep up .. but just in case 8-)

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

Ya Know - I find it hard to get really upset about something that is totally out of my control. Kind of like kids over the age of 30. We've all been friends here over the last couple of years or so sharing our thoughts, ideas, animals, hobbies, and even garden stuff. A little off - beat sometimes, but we all seem to get along just fine. Basically like sitting on the back porch together. Our little gossip forum has stuck together for the long run because we all share a lot of common interest in each other. Friends stick together - so I guess I'm stuck here, regardless of what's going on with the admin politics.

Al

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

This one's for you Mekos! - Sorry I got tied up with business stuff and not posting them earlier! I took over 300 pictures near Sedona AZ and I'm still sorting them all out.

Al

Thumbnail by lycodad
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Thanks Al. You hit the nail on the head when you said I find it hard to get really upset about something that is totally out of my control...

Great picture - I so love Sedona! My Mom flys in Saturday from Maine for 10 days. I'm feeling the need to make a short drive north and see the Red Rocks - lol...

Booneville, AR

ok people what is going on nettie.

Fair Play, SC(Zone 7b)

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Jan, I do not have a personal Cubit though I am a member of many Cubits there. I know that all of you who built your Cubits have spent countless hours of your time and energy to make them what they are. As my friend, I feel very badly for you and the others there that are being affected by this whole deal and definitely feel that it is not fair...

I know that you are upset by this as am I, but please realize that what is happening is out of your control. Your sanity and your health are most important and I don't like seeing you upset by all this. I will continue to pray that the situation resolves itself in a way that benefits everyone, but in the meantime all I can really do is sit back and see what happens...

You know how to reach me on the down low if you really need to vent without someone reading/deleting it... Anytime!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

It's ok friend - we have ways to talk off site if the need arises, right?

Fair Play, SC(Zone 7b)

The need won't arise, I assure you.

Booneville, AR

mekos if you leave who will wory about me . none else does heck i never know whats going on. and im probly better off. big business is always cut throat noyhing we can do to change it. just stick togeather and we are good at that. it will always get better. wright lots of hugs nrttie

Booneville, AR

ihey have to be very careful or they will brake the law i don.t know what they are afraid of probly not the people on daves garden we will just have to wait and see. nothing we can do one way or the other.

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

I don't know what to say or think, regarding all of these changes. But, I do know, that I believe that change is not always for the best. I have made some awesome friends here, and have really enjoyed all of you, learned TONS from all of you, and I will always cherise getting to know all of you, and sharing even a small part of my life with you all. My DG subscription expires on June 4th, and the decision to stay or go has really been made for me. Due to other things going on in my life right now, outside of DG, I will not be able to renew my subscription. Of course, I will try to stay in touch with all of you, my dear friends! And I will check in between now and then, if for nothing else, just to see what is going on with all of you! And of course, to check out what awesome new pictures of your lives and gardens are being posted. Just wanted to let you all know how enjoyable this has been for me, and how much I have appreciated all that you all have given me! Thanks!!

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

On a happy note, I'd like to share a couple of my daughter's new videos with you guys :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa5fCkVX0B0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilrlpROzL_s

I've been promising to share so here are a couple. I have lots more to upload. She has been performing on Tuesdays and Fridays all month and is signed up through July. She's only 14. Hope you enjoy!

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Mechelle, I have been checking periodically on youtube for her, and watching! She is still awesome, and I love to listen to her! Tell her we love her still, and to keep up the great work!

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Thank you, skellogg! I have 6 more videos to upload tonight so you can check them out if you want to! She is supposed to be on the Carl Perkins telethon on television out of Jackson, TN in August! That will be so neat for her ;)

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

OMG! I'll bet she is so anxious and excited, and I would be a nervous wreck! But she has such a wonderful presence, and I know she will be great! I don't remember if you ever said, does she get her voice from her Momma?
You must be so proud! I am sure she will be a famous singer some day! Can't wait!

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

No, her dad gets the credit for voice ;-) Thank you!

Booneville, AR

hi all ive been doing dog repair black lab and hound been chasing moles in one of my flower beds they dough through to china bulbs laying everywhere its a good thing 0 love thrm. very humid out today i think i got all the bujbs put back in the ground dh saio he took jis doot and klcked dirt on alot of rhem my hero. im going to bead salk later love and hugs to all nettie

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Good Morning everyone ;-) Here's a new daylily bloom : Grape Harvest

Thumbnail by MechelleT
Litchfield, ME(Zone 5a)

Good Morning

Serious signs!!

Thumbnail by arejay59

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.