Blooms 2010!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

You've got it made with a Mama and a Papa!

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 10a)

Ohhhhh booooyyyyy....

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Well, you were playing straight man!

Haha-lol. You're silly-not too often I do.

Roxy. This is one ridiculously sturdy plant. I inadvertantly put it in a bad area that gets a lot of rain gutter overflow, which then splashes over so heavily, it washes away all my amended soil and churns up the gravel underneath. I love the dark foliage with the bloom color. It's very cheerful.

Thumbnail by queequeg_1

All Triumph. Bright white bloom on a plant that is barely 1' tall. LOL

Thumbnail by queequeg_1

Wyn's Dapper Dad. Supposed to be red-more purpley now. Maybe as the season progresses, it will "redden" up.

Thumbnail by queequeg_1
Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Here's my potted Park Princess, only one with a bloom right now. All my in-ground dahlias got too wet from the recent downpours & I had to deadhead all the waterlogged blossoms.

Thumbnail by JolieB

Bloom-tastic Jolie! I really regret not getting this one, and I did debate it. Very pretty light pink. How long had that been open? Just curious.

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

That bloom's been open a little over a week and a half (including when it started to unfurl).
The light pink color surprised me, all the pictures I've seen on the 'net show it's supposed to be a much darker pink.

Your dahlia's are gorgeous! Love seeing all the different ones.

That has a way of happening-mine never match the photos, either. Over a week? Wow-It held it's color nicely, then.
When mine open, they lighten up very quickly from the deadly sun and heat here. Thank you. I have a few more-been too lazy to post, but here goes.
Classic Elise

Thumbnail by queequeg_1

A pretty NOID-maybe Edna C?

Thumbnail by queequeg_1
Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Great "Park Princess" photo. Better bloom form than mine. Love the noid. White blooms with a dash of yellow are awesome.

Here's my "Park Princess" today. Just one bloom also at the moment. The other flowers are Lisianthus "Sapphire Blue" and Calla Lily "Captain Maori".

Thumbnail by amorecuore

What a lovely mix and I love the darker hue to your PP. Callas and Lisianthus are so beautiful!!! How on earth are you able to keep them so far into summer in this scorching zone? Do tell!

My "secret weapon" is the east facing wall inside the screening around the pool. East facing is morning only sun and the pool screening definitely filters out some of the suns rays. Apparently the two conditions, when added together, are a good combination.

Wel, you do our zone proud, for sure. I'm so jealous. Feel free to post more photos of your gardens lol.

Took a couple of pictures of things growing/blooming against that east facing wall. The "Sapphire Blue" Lisianthus with White Canterbury Bells and Tuberous Begonia "Picotee Lace Apricot". The area is also good for growing tuberous begonias because you can limit the light and the roof overhang prevents the foliage from getting wet and developing powdery mildew.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

And just a wide look of things still growing and some things blooming by the wall.

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Amorecuore, love that last picture showing the "wide look" of things! Are the yellow flowers blanket flowers?

Thanks much. Those yellow flowers are "Prairie Sun" Rudbeckia. Here's a closer look at a "Prairie Sun" in the yard.

There are a couple new solid yellow gaillardias that are very nice. "Mesa Yellow" and "Sunburst Yellow" are nice ones. "Mesa Yellow" seems to be a stronger plant for me.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Pretty pretty! Love the variety and I love Rudbeckia-every single variety is so cheerful.
Unrelated-ever heard of "Bat Faced Heather" or cuphea llavea? Just picked some up today and I'm excited about it. I love finding new, not-so-ordinary stuff for our zone. Couldn't find info here, but found this
http://www.backyardbathouse.com/bat-face-mexican-heather-plant

I hadn't heard of it until I saw this variety at Lowes, in Ft Lauderdale....around March I would guess. It's a nice variety because the colors are very vivid. Yes, I feel the same way about finding new things for our zone. This week I discovered "Railroad Vine"....also known as "Beach Morning Glory" and bought one in a pot with a trellis. This is what the plant and blooms look like. Blooms are exactly like morning glories, but the foliage is thick and waxy.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

VERY cool! You're right-looks just like a MGlory bloom, but I like the foliage a lot more. Looks bushier/not quite as singular and viney as well? Just get so tired of Lantana, Ixora, Hibiscus...Not that they aren't pretty. I will def. look for that one-what are the sun requirements?

Full sun. It typically grows alongside the beach and is actually sprawling/more of a ground cover. This one has been trained to grow up a trellis. LOL Don't tell me no hibiscus. That's one of my obsessions. There are some very nice less common hybrids out there. Here's one named "Tigerama" blooming yesterday, Not your ordinary hibiscus.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Holy Crap-that is the awesomest Hibiscus I have EVER seen. It doens't look real-it looks digitized.
No, no-I love Hibiscus, but not that its at the top of a short list of a few things that thrive this time of year. But, yes, if you have kick-butt hybrid like that, well that goes without saying. Where did you find something so cool?

Found it and ordered it online. Even though we live in a tropical climate, it's not easy to find hybrids at nurseries. For some reason they are few and far between. Most of mine were purchased through 6 different online retailers:
www.hiddenvalleyhibiscus.com
www.hibiscusplace.com
www.exotichibiscus.com
www.triedandtruehibiscus.com
www.atouchofthetropics.net
www.logees.com

Here's one blooming today named "Midnight Serenade"

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

OMG those Hibiscus are to die for!!!

Those hybrid hibiscus are responsible for me taking up gardening three years ago. I had never gardened before then. I immediately took a liking to them and then developed interests in trying different flowers.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

That's EXACTLY how I got into gardening, but with dahlias!
OMG-there are no words for how awesome those are! I don't dare visit any of those links. God knows I don't need another flower addiction. Though they might be better suited for my zone lol. To think I got excited because I saw one that was a salmony-violety color that I've never seen in hibiscus before (reminds me of a dahlia color)! I think I may go get it now.

I can relate to that. I think we all discover something new, every year or two, to keep things interesting. This year I've become much more interested in Daylilies, Ranunculus, flowers in the Lupine family and Dahlias. Having success with things obviously helps. What I really like about Hibiscus is that they are one of the few flowers that will bloom year round in our climatic zone. You can't put too many flowers into that category.

This year is my second attempt with Dahlias. I tried them in 2007, but was new to gardening and did some things wrong. I planted the tubers in the middle of the summer, in full sun which isn't a good combination in Zone 10. Also didn't know anything about pinching plants, so the few that did grow, grew poorly and were shaped poorly. At least this year things are looking a little bit more promising with plants in part sun that are branched much better. Hopefully things will work out better this summer, although I keep reminding myself we're technically trying to grow them out of zone a bit.

Quote from amorecuore :
I planted the tubers in the middle of the summer, in full sun which isn't a good combination in Zone 10. Also didn't know anything about pinching plants, so the few that did grow, grew poorly and were shaped poorly. At least this year things are looking a little bit more promising with plants in part sun that are branched much better. Hopefully things will work out better this summer, although I keep reminding myself we're technically trying to grow them out of zone a bit.

Hear, hear to that! So, knowing planting them mid-summer is not a great idea, can you tell me why I'm still trying to do this? LOL. I've got some tubers I'm trying to acclimate, etc., not sure it will work, though. For me, if I start them in March, they do really well for several months. Then, the extreme heat slows them way down. Then they pick back up again very late season. Obviously, this year, the extreme heat came 4-6 weeks early, so they pooped much sooner than I'd like. But, I now cover them with shade cloth to see if it helps. I think part sun (in our Zone) is ideal for dahlias, I just wish I had more shade in my yard lol. Like your growing spot, where you've got your cannas, etc.

Well sometimes you don't have a choice if you receive tubers at this time of the year. This spring I planted my tubers in March also. I bought most of the tubers from Old House Gardens and only ordered varieties they recommend, on their website, for hot climates. Hoping that will give better results. At least they're all still growing and I see buds on one of them right now. The area where they're doing best is near a westward facing wall and there is also a tree in the area. They get sun from approximately noon through 5 PM, and that's it. All have several of inches of mulch around them also. Other than this area, inside the pool screening and a small bed on the east side of the house, everything else is mostly sun location spots.

If I would've been smart, I would've followed their (Old House) suggestions for warm climate varieties. But I have to go against the grain...sigh. Yes, burying the tubers deeper and applying more mulch worked much better than not doing those last year.

Here's my level of madness-after my speech about them not doing well starting off mid-summer...I ordered more the other day lol. Yes, I am nuts. BUT, I had to have Mystery Day. I loved it so much and lost it last year and every time I ordered a bi-color this season, they kept getting subbed. I ordered Duet, Aitara Diadem, Deuil du Roi Albert-all subbed for others that look nothing like them lol. Yeah. As if my bargaining/justifying tactics make it all better.

I can understand the ordering more thing. Had to look up "Mystery Day" and can see why you would want that one. I always check the "no substitutions" box on websites when it comes to ordering. Don't want to pay for something I didn't actually order. I've been ordering quite a few more Daylilies this summer. This has been the best blooming year for them here, so it's inspired me to add some more. Also ordered a couple new hibiscus plants over the weekend. Had reduced the collection from about 60 of them down to 40, but now it's back up to around 46...or so.... I would guess.

In those cases, I did specify no subs, but they subbed anyway lol! I think many suppliers had such a bad year, they didn't have a lot of choice. I'm slowly appreciating daylilies more and more. Holy cow-that's a lot. (like I can talk-those are close to my dahlia numbers)Where do you keep all your hibiscus-pots, ground? Are they smaller varieties or do they get large?

I have 11 hibiscus in the ground and the rest are all in pots along the back side of the pool. The ones in the ground can get to 4-6 feet tall and 3-4 feet wide. The ones in pots you can somewhat control and keep smaller. The pot size you use will have an influence on how big it will get. They also should be pruned back every year or two so they continue to be well shaped plants.

I'm hoping I can save my "Striped Vulcan" Dahlia. It looked fine before I went away for a couple days a week ago. I came back three days later and it was all wilted even though someone watered for me. I watered it and it remained wilted. Decided to cut it completely back to the ground except for a couple of small leaves that looked ok. It's been 4 days and the small foliage still looks alright. I have no idea why it went downhill so fast.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Shut the front door!!! Now what var. is that?! It's so pretty I want to pluck it! God-I never knew there were so many insanely beautiful varieties of hibiscus. I usually shy away from them, because I didn't think they'd thrive in pots. Guess because it's so common to see them in the ground, 5' tall, like you said, I consider them a large landscape plant. I have a few, but I always put them in the ground. I feel the tinglings of a new addiction....

Do you think whoever watered it, watered it too much, like the tuber rotted? Or could the stalk have gotten broken from the crown? Or a bug have gored a hole in the stalk? Can you gently dig down to examine the tuber, stalk, etc.? Only because it didn't recover from your watering. When this has happened to me, due to lack of water, I've always had them recover within several hours or by the next day. Hmmm...

I'm thinking the Dahlia got too much water, because it didn't recover when I watered it. There are 3 other Dahlias in the same area and they seem fine. Just going to wait and see what happens as there still is some foliage that isn't wilted. Afraid to dig around it or agitate it any more right now.

That hibiscus is a California creation named "Rocket's Red Glare". Another reason I like them in pots is because they're mobile that way. If there's a nice bloom on a potted hibiscus, I can just move the pot, for the day, to a place I can easily see it from.....like right outside the sliding glass door. That way you can look at it from the comfort of the couch, instead of having to go outside to just take a peak at it.

Here's "Irish Eyes" blooming today with another bloom on "Tigerama" in the background.

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Love, love, love that Prairie Sun Rudbeckia!

This is my third year growing Dahlias. Year 1, I didn't know you shouldn't leave tubers in the ground overwinter (guess the freeze we had that year killed them, they didn't come back the following season). Last year, I knew to dig the tubers up, but I didn't have any tubers in the ground when I dug?!? Asked on the Dahlia forum, and general concensus was too much rain had probably rotted the tubers. This is my third year growing Dahlias, and so far all the in-ground ones have had to have the newly forming flowers cut off because of rotting from too much rain. Lots of healthy leaves though so pretty sure the tubers are still OK. The only ones flowering (so far!) are the Park Princess dahlias I have in a pot on my gets-full-sun deck.

Have never grown hibiscus as most of my yard is shaded, and never knew a hibiscus could grow well in a pot! Think I see some hibiscus in my future...

queequeg_1, I had Duet last year & the blooms were simply awesome. Wasn't able to replace it this year (couldn't find locally & too late to order online); hope to replace it next year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.