Blooms 2010!

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Only have two Dahlias blooming at the moment and one is "Park Princess" also. I have two different "Double Extreme Mix" Dahlias that were grown from seed purchased from Thompson & Morgan. The white colored one is exactly are you described Jolie. The foliage looks fine, but the blooms are rotting before they open up...so I keep picking them off. Maybe they will do better in the fall when conditions are better. The purple one form the same seed pack is a different story. Here's what it's looking like today.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

You would have to grow hibiscus in a pot in your zone Jolie, and bring then inside for the winter. The garden variety hibiscus (solid colors with many smaller sized blooms) will continue to bloom. in the winter. If they're in a window that gets just a few hours of sun. The larger bloom size multi colored hybrids are tougher to get to bloom inside in the winter. They really need to be in a south facing window with lots of sun. They can easily make it through the winter inside with very little light, but need quite a bit to continue to put out blooms. Once you get past your last frost date in the spring you can put them back outside and take a week or so to adjust them back to full strength sun.

Another interesting thing to do with hybrids is to cross pollinate them to create a seed pod with seeds you can plant. This is the way new varieties are created. This is one of my seedlings blooming today. I've named it "Toucan Tango"

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 10a)

Amy K

Thumbnail by queequeg_1

Supposed to be Maxime...not so much.

Thumbnail by queequeg_1

Hollyhill Electra

Thumbnail by queequeg_1

Nice. Are these some of the Dahlias growing/blooming under your shade cloth?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I've never grown Maxime but I like the color of it.

Amore-Yes, those are from the shade cloth.
pirl-Maxime is supposed to be a red w/yellow or white outline. Nowhere near the salmon color of whatever mine is. Oh well-still cute. No bloom shall be shunned.

Could your heat and sun have anything to do with the change in color on Maxime?

The worst one for me, last year, was Clearview Arlene but I'm trying it again this year to see if more sun brings more color.

Well, I was told by the person who gave it to me there was a tiny chance it got mis-labeled, so I was attributing to that. If it hadn't been under the shade, I might say yes you're right. I think it's funny, no matter how organized we all try to be, we still end up swapping, mis-IDing, etc.

It's true and it keeps us on our toes.

Probably my most favorite 10 dahlias are the most important to me as far as names go.

That bothers me, bums me out when things are mislabeled and the wrong plant is sent unintentionally or intentionally. Have been growing a hard to find Rudbeckia plant for over a year and now that it's blooming it is not what was ordered. It's not attractive, not what I ordered and the online retailer doesn't list the one I wanted on their website this year. Have wondered if I should contact the online retailer or not.

Yes, do it or they have no way of knowing about it. It gets me craziest with lilies when they have the wrong labels.

You're right. I probably should contact them, especially since their company plant label is still there, by the plant. Actually I think they do know about it, and that's why this plant (Rudbeckia Goldquelle) has disappeared from their website this year.

Yes, the professional suppliers aren't allowed to have those moments, sorry. Only us Joes are allowed to have those oops moments.

We rely on the accuracy coming from these nurseries, large and small. They do need to know when something is wrong.

We pay for the plant we want, not one that they select for us.

Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

Well, it's about time I'll post something here.

Tahiti Sunrise

Thumbnail by Tex68
Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

Another one.

Thumbnail by Tex68
Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

A border dahlia - Jazz.

Thumbnail by Tex68
Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

Calypso - another border.

Thumbnail by Tex68
Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

A couple days and I may have Pooh. Already had a couple of blooms but I guess the heat got to them. They were terrible.

Great photos, Tex. Some of mine are starting to show color.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I love the colors in Calypso. I need that one. ;)

Boise, ID

"Bee Happy"

Thumbnail by edewitt
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I need 'Calypso' too. Gorjus pink.

Superb Dahlia photos. Love the bright colors of "Tahiti Sunrise" Al. Trying to grow them down here, but it's a bit more challenging and limited in this tropical environment. Have some blooming, but nothing spectacular.

First blooms on Dahlia "Winsome" this afternoon. Planted the tuber this April/May. Probably not the best spot in full South Florida sun.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Pretty pink. At least it didn't lose color in the sun.

Clapping excitedly Tahiti Sunrise is so awesome-especially how varied the 2 blooms are! The first one looks fake, though I know it isn't. I'm excited as I have this one, though it's taking it's sweet time to bloom.

Dnut-does gorjus mean gorgeous in Danish- lol? So funny how you make up your own fun words. I use prettiful a lot!

Danish is one funky/strange sounding language. It's not gutteral like Dutch, but has all these deep sounds when you listen to it. I do like hearing it spoken though.

Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

Dahlianut taler dansk? Jeg hun taler fransk.

Carrie - 'Smukke' is the word in Danish. Surely indeed D-nut is making her own language.

Here's Pooh today. Not perfect but close. The extreme heat last week were just overbearing for the dahlias.

Thumbnail by Tex68

Yay!!! Learning time! I love learning words in other languages, and love all accents! Fun and exotic. So, Tex, how do you say that? Do you pronounce the e? And how is the u said? What did you say to Dnut? Love it!
I was, of course, kidding about the gorjus. She's IS good and making fun, quirky words.

I like your Pooh-it's so bright and cheerful. Perfect-bah! Says who.

Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

Carrie - 'Smukke' is pronounced as 'shmook'. Real definition is - beautiful.

"Dahlianut taler dansk? Jeg hun taler fransk."
Translation:
Dahlianut speaks Danish? I thought she only speaks French. (as in French-Canadian)

LOL! You know I'm just kidding her. She's usually in her own world and a language all her own.

Do you guys use the slang word 'purdy' down there in Florida?

This message was edited Jul 13, 2010 10:52 PM

Florida "Crackers" (Native country type Floridians with southern accents) might say "purdy", but you're not too likely to hear that word in South Florida.

Haha! You'd hear "purdy" where I'm from, but not from me! Shiver-I'm kind of a proper grammar freak.
Smukke! Yay! I was a little close-I was thinking "shmook-e". Interesting how a lot of languages pronounce S as "sh". I love the Danish talk and accent (the one in my head as I try to pronounce "Jeg hun taler fransk").

Funny how different Florida is...upper-state is more of the true South, mid-state is more FL Cracker-type, south is metropolitan mixed with Latin-influence. No offense meant of course by any of the above.

When its 792 driving miles from Pensacola to Key West you're bound to have some cultural differences. Oh yes, South Florida is very very very different compared to the Tampa area. My brother lives in Sarasota, on the west coast, and even there it's quite different. Even when you go to sporting events in Miami vs Tampa things are very different. If the cheerleaders in Tampa wore the same skimpy outfits the cheerleaders wear in Miami/Ft Lauderdale, there would be some backlash. Things tend to be a bit more conservative as you head North in this state. LOL No offense meant either. The great thing is we all get along quite nicely in this State.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I have SO just added 'shmook' to the Dahlianut dictionary! Thanks Tex. What a fabby word. Thanks for the Pooh pic too. I am Poohless. Glad to here you FLidians all get along. I didn't notice any differences in peoples in different parts of the state but then I spent more time gawking at the birds and critters and the 'I wonder what that is' plants.

We can tell the tourists by the clothes they wear. They're always staring at the palm trees and tropical plants we take for granted.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I resemble that remark ^_^

Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

Hey Jon, what exactly do tourists wear? LOL! Funny/fanny packs? T-shirts bought from souvenir shops? A micky mouse hat? A nylon(?) sweat pants with matching jacket with floral embroidery? Is that even still in-style? Maybe D-nut owns one of those.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.