Another Picolo.

Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

Sorry, forgot the photo.

Thumbnail by Tex68
Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

Another Rock Run James.

Thumbnail by Tex68
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

That Gloriosa is so beautiful. Love Rock Run James as well. They're all wonderful!

Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

Thank you Pirl! Nothing happening with your dahlias yet?

Here's another photo. Yeah, yeah! I know it's a hibiscus. But look closely in the upper left corner and there you will find Tahiti Sunrise.

Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

Make sense if I post the photo, right??!!

Thumbnail by Tex68

It's really very hard to notice anything but that drop dead hibiscus! Yes, I did spot the dahlia off in the corner but it's playing second fiddle to the main event.

I have a few in bloom and my favorite amongst them is Robert Too:

Thumbnail by pirl
Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

The hibiscus is Turn of the Century. Literally just a root stock from a co-op about 2 months ago, now about 5-foot tall. Here's Peppermint Schnapps I got from the same co-op:

Thumbnail by Tex68

Uh oh! Is your love for dahlias taking second place now?

Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

No Pirl, actually, my first love are roses. Now I hear everybody screaming BOOO! LOL!

Need some light? I got Candlelight!

Thumbnail by Tex68
Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 10a)

Yours is so much prettier than mine! pout!

Thumbnail by queequeg_1
Long Branch, NJ(Zone 7a)

Carrie - I was going to say maybe you got too much sun, but then all we had for the last 2 months were ALL sun and extreme heat. I think were hotter than you guys down there in FL.

Maybe it's what I feed them with. This product do wonders on my roses and it says good for any flowering plants so I use it for my dahlias as well:
http://www.millsmix.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=53_57&products_id=118

I also do a foliar spraying of Kelp solution from the same company every two weeks or every month. Kelp is not a fertilizer but contains every micro nutrient from A to Z.

I enjoy roses, Tex, I'm just not good at growing them. Only the first flush of blooms is fantastic and then it changes to mediocre, then Japanese beetles, followed closely by black spot.

We could do a three way testing next year, using the same exact plant, with Carrie in "sunny" Florida, you in NJ using food, and me, out here on eastern Long Island, using only Super Phosphate.

Boise, ID

Here's "Orange Cushion" I got as a bonus tuber from Arrowhead Dahlias. I'd recommend buying from them but I think their site is down at the moment because of some Turkish hacker.

Thumbnail by edewitt
Mentor, OH

After record heat and record beetles, my dahlias have finally started to bloom. The one in the picture is one of the many mislabeled plants I have received. This was supposed to be Kelvin's Floodlight but it obviously isn't. Either way I'm not unhappy,but would like to know the real name.

Thumbnail by psudan
Mentor, OH

This one is labeled Duet and I think they probably got this one right. lol

Thumbnail by psudan
Mentor, OH

This is "supposed" to be Lavender Perfection. I thought it was supposed to be a much taller plant with larger flowers. I've had this one for two years and it's only 12-15 inches high. Again I'm not unhappy but I'm beginning to make more sense of Forrest Gump's analogy about the box of chocolates. lol These mis-labels have come from more than one vendor.

Thumbnail by psudan
New Hyde Park, NY

I bought this labeled as Aloha but it does not have the bright yellow and orange coloring. Any ideas?

Thumbnail by daisy_lee

Yay-pretty pretties everyone! How exciting! Beautiful!
psudan-could your Kelvin NOID be Seattle? It has the peach, yellow, white mix that's disctinctive.
daisy-yours could very well be Aloha. I seem to remember a convo around here about how widely varied several peoples Aloha colors were. Scroll up this thread about halfway to see how different Tex's Tahiti Sunrise is-2 totally different looking blooms.

Yay for bloomage!!!! clapping !

The shape is close and the color isn't the same but isn't so far off that it just might be Aloha. Post it again when it has a second bloom.

Forgot to add my one bloom. Woodland's Wildthing. Not a plentiful bloomer, but pretty when it FINALLY happens! I planted it mid-March.

Thumbnail by queequeg_1
Mentor, OH

queequeg, I'm sort of thinking that my dahlia is Seattle. I've looked at several pics and many don't seem to have the peach color but it's still the closest I've seen. I also thought it might be Peaches and Cream, but those have some red blush.

Carrie - I thought Wildthing was in the orange family as shown on Corralito's site. That's why I ordered it.

Though it's nice in pink I really was counting on orange.

This message was edited Jul 31, 2010 2:44 PM

Thumbnail by pirl

It is definitely a salmon color for me-much more than the photo shows. Theirs is GORGEOUS! I would love to have that orange. I ordered it from Cowlitz and hers was much closer to the color I have. So maybe yours will be true to their photo. Besides-my sun makes everything wacky. I can't wait till yours blooms, then we can compare.

Mine is in a bit of shade (along with sun) so it may be a bit of a wait.

Boise, ID

"Alpen Cherub", such a nice simple bloom and it was only $2 from Clack's Dahlia Patch.

This message was edited Aug 1, 2010 2:55 PM

Thumbnail by edewitt
Boise, ID

"Bee Happy"

Thumbnail by edewitt

Wonderful. It's amazing the bargains that can be had with dahlias and you do have two lovely ones there.

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

First bloom today on Dahlia "Lavengro". Tuber planted May 2010 in midday only sun in South Florida.
Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Lovely.

Belated birthday wishes! Sorry I'm so late.

Here's Bright Star.

Thumbnail by pirl
Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Thanks much. That's a nice Cactus Dahlia. Very different

(Pony) Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

Beautiful blooms, everyone. :)

Here's 'Summit Steady'

Thumbnail by the1pony

'Bonaventure'

(pardon the ugly paw- was trying to show facebook friends how big some of these blooms are.) ;)

Thumbnail by the1pony

'Camano Sitka'

Thumbnail by the1pony

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.