Hellllooooo?

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

What are all you Southern California (and North) guys up to? It has been eerily quite lately. I have to go to vegetable forums to talk about gardening.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

So much has been going on here and that's why I'm not on here much. My son got married last Saturday and among other things, life is pretty hectic. Gonna be scarce in the next few months now too, lots to do in the iris garden.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Same here: This is a busy month, with weddings, graduations, fathers day etc.
Weegy: Gonna share any wedding pics. with us ?

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Here's a good one. Notice my dh standing with the bridal party??? He was our son's best man!
Miss everyone.

Thumbnail by weegy12
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

Great picture Weegy! Is that 10 attendants?!! Beautiful colors.

No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

I was counting too! Beautiful photo, looks like it was a beautiful wedding also. Hottest day of the year, so far, for them that day! That was special for your DH to be chosen as Best Man!!

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Yes 10 attendants! Twas a big wedding! There were about 450 guests!
It was very, very special that my son chose his dad to be best man. The color choices were gorgeous!
Oh and the newlyweds are on their honeymoon in Ireland!

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Forgot to mention...Emma was flower girl! This is her mama with her.
She was so confused with all the commotion around here hence the face!

This message was edited Jun 12, 2010 10:35 PM

Thumbnail by weegy12
No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

How did darling Emma do at the ceremony? WOW 450 guests! Was the ceremony in a church and the reception - where?

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Emma did good at the ceremony. The ceremony was at St. Joseph Church in Upland, the reception was at the DES Portuguese Hall in Chino. It was fantastic.

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

Oh, your daughter looks so beautiful and now we get to see the detail on those dresses; fabulous!

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

My daughter in law and the seamstress designed the dresses, I think they turned out very nice!

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Just wanted to say a quick hello. Time seems to be speeding along. It's been really busy with all the graduation activities, concert, Mom's Day, ES's 21st Bday, Father's Day, and finally at the end of the month my 35th class reunion.
Which is causing me fits, because I don't know what to wear. I can't seem to find clothes for my small stature that aren't teeney bopper clothes. I would like to wear something a little dignified, but shows off my best features. LOL! I also have to take into consideration what the weather might be like. Any one have any ideas?
Other than that, I've been weeding, transplanting, watering, and fighting off ants. They've gone nuts this last week, and I can't even walk out in the front yard without being attacked. Since I'm allergic, some of my baby plants are suffering for it.
Oh, besides Marie, did anyone want amaryllis bulbs (aka Nekid Ladies?)? I can dig them up now, ship them and they will probably bloom in late July or early August for you. Just let me know really soon, or we'll have to wait til after they bloom.
I am very proud of YS. He managed (by the skin of his teeth and a lot of hard work), to achieve a solid B average which put him on the Honor Roll. He also got an award for have the best vocabulary in his Sr. English Class. Which came as a huge surprise for me. Since he usually grunts or growls when I talk to him. (I'm sure he'll grow out of it!)
Here is a photo of us right after graduation. If I'm looking a little strained, it's because I was very cold and in a lot of pain. Those stadium seats are horrible! I'm going to buy one of those that you can put over the bench, and has a back. It was pandemonium for a while. I'm not sure if I'll ever recover my hearing. Even though air horns were prohibited, some people just had to bring them. I had no idea how painful they are. They should be outlawed. My poor ears. : - (
DH took me home, because I was ready to collapse, then he took the kids out for dinner to celebrate.
Boy, am I glad that now he's done with school for awhile. He's got jury duty this week, but he starts working for his Dad tonight extracting honey from the comb.
Still trying to get caught up with my garden. Not to much to brag about. I just can't get it done, without some help. My GodSon will probably come by and help some this week, but I'll end up picking away at it, til it's done.
Lousy Ant just bit me again. Help! I'm being held hostage by ferocious ants!
WIB!
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

So many wonderful occasions. Congratulations to both Jules and Louise. What fun events. My DED is coming on Wednesday and we will go to Half Moon Bay to visit places for weddings. She isn't planning on getting married until next fall so we have lots of time. It's a second wedding and they want it kind of casual so we'll see what we can find. Should be a fun trip anyway.

Daylilies are blooming here along with some of the clematis and a few late roses.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Thank you Doss, it's been a little hectic and nice to have one big thing in the past. I have many daylilies blooming too. Enjoy your dd's visit, sounds like a nice place to get married.
Jules, you do look like you're in pain. You need to take it easy now. Congratulations to your son on all his accomplishments...you done good mom!

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Hey all!
I'm even more pained trying to find a dress to wear to my class reunion. Any idea's anyone? I'm about ready to go in a hippie dress and beads. Sadly, I can't find a hippie dress.
Seriously, I am open to ideas about where to find a dress if anyone has any ideas!
doss, take lots of photos to share of Half Moon Bay!
weegy, I am so glad you made it through another wedding, talk about stress!
I have the most beautiful deep purple iris blooming in my garden right now, thanks to you, weegy!
Took photo, but can't find it, will grab camera and take another to show you which one it is. So beautiful!
WIB!
SW

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I always find nice things at the JC Penney outlet. Stein Mart is another good one, but it really depends on what you're looking for. if you're looking for hippie dresses, I've seen those in some shops near the beaches! You just don't want to buy something that you'll never wear again. I have 3 dresses from kids' weddings that I'll probably never wear again. Worn once, should just sell them.
So glad your irises are blooming SW. Mine are all done, the weeding is done...now to start digging up to ship.
Picked up my son and his wife from LAX at 11:00 last night...that airport is crazy...they had a fantastic time in Ireland for their honeymoon. Now looking forward to seeing photos. What a memorable time for them.

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

How nice to learn a little about all of you. Congratulations on all your recent memorable events. I also just got back from my youngest son's graduation. This is the last out of three, so I am done with college tuitions.....and roll those funds over to my garden LoL.

SW - I am also very small statured - under 4'10", so I understand your frustration. I have had good luck at thrift stores - sometimes people wash their clothes and they shrink to the right size for me, or I find some nice vintage clothes from a time when the sizes started a lot smaller. I wear a size 3.5 shoes, and that is another problem altogether.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Whew what a ride this year has been for many of us. I have decided what to wear, and it was in my own closet. I did check out the thrift store, and found some nice accessories, and a couple of dresses which will fit my God Daughter. : - )
My Dramatic Life. I need to go take some photos.
Yesterday, while I was out back watering, I smelled wood/brush smoke. To make a long story short, someone tossed a lit cigarette out the window, and it caught fire, and started burning just above the wood lot. The fire caught and started to burn up the hill to my rental house. My GS Michael saw it, and called 911. I called 911, about six other people called 911.
Many people pulled over to help, and using what ever they had at hand, shovels, hoses, hoes they fought the fire. One guy stopped a water truck passing by and he had him spraying down that steep slope next to the road.
DH was working on the bees here and when he saw it he called the fire station directly but got no answer, so he grabbed the bee crew and some tools, fire extinguishers and brought them up to fight the fire too. I was so relieved to see that he was okay.
It took over 15 minutes for the CDF fire dept. to arrive. We have a fire station less than a mile away. We've paid for a fire hydrant that still hasn't been installed. Sadly, all four of our local fire stations were busy with other calls. Lucky for us CDF had an available firetruck in Perris, (next town north up the 215), and they were the first responders on scene. When our CDF guys arrived they apologized. I knew if they weren't there, it was because they had another call, but they felt bad they couldn't be in two places at once. One of the guys said that at least they got their guy to the hospital alive. I tried to thank everyone who stopped to help out. Bless them all. One man was taking photos of the fire. I have his email and he said he'd send them to me.
While talking to him, I discovered that his son is Army. So I had to thank him for serving too. He was really surprised and said that he didn't see a lot of support for our Service Men and Women. So I'm glad that I thank him for helping with the fire and serving our Country. Strange the people who run toward trouble and those who run from it.
I feel so thankful that no one was hurt and the buildings were not damaged. The only casualties were a couple of plants.
On the bright side, the Elderberry got singed but it is coming back to life after being whacked. we can now see all kinds of rocks to build walls with. : - )
I feel like there was a flock of Angels fanning the flames away from the people and structures.
The Creator was certainly watching over us.
I am still pretty stressed out by the whole ordeal, but so glad it wasn't worse.
I'll send more photos after I've had a chance to get some good ones. This was taken at road level by our gate to the Tree Farm. The fire started at the 3rd phone pole from the front, and right next to the road sign (you can see the back of it.
WIB!
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
No Central, AZ(Zone 7b)

Thank the Lord for the quick response you had from strangers, Jules and Jack. Scary how careless folks can be. Just goes to show too how much potential we have for more fires this year. I am part of the Butterfield Multi UseTrail Committee and the Chairman was talking to a Forestry person and they said because of the overgrowing of a certain plant (I think that orangey, grassy plant along freeways, and in the hills) they expect big problems. The last time this plant grew so profusely was, I believe, like 20 years ago when there were fires all through the valley here. Jules, you probably remember them, they were big in Menifee. I am always sniffing for fires with my very sensitive nose.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

QG,
I think you are referring to the Winchester Fire in 1993? That was a bad one. It was a bad year for fires, both in Winchester and out by Lake Elsinore.
I have a lot of respect for the CDF. Jack works with them all the time, and we always try to get our firebreaks in early. Sometimes we have to do them more than once. If you recall, DH had just gone over the firebreaks before the RU in April.
Most of what burned was dried out native grass, but the potential was much worse. Thank goodness that the wind was blowing it away from the fire wood lot for the most part. Jack said that it was smoldering along the edge, and that's where we were putting out the hot spots in the afternoon.
Be careful, not careless. I still smoke cigarettes, but my cigarette butts go back in my cigarette pack, not out the window. It is so disrespectful to Mother Earth, not to mention that they could have killed my renters, if it hadn't been caught so quick.
There are good people in our part of the world, and I can't thank them enough for stopping to help out.
I don't know the plant you are talking about, but because of the above normal rainfall, and the drying heat, the plants are drying out early. Anyway, fires are just another season in CA.
I got better photos today, but haven't downloaded them yet. I will try to post tomorrow.
WIB~
SW

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Few things in life irritate me as much as when I see people throwing things out their car window. Maybe the only thing that doesn't bug me is when people throw sunflower seeds out their window because I know they'll biodegrade. Really though, when someone throws something out the window it tells me that the litterbug thinks more of themself than everyone else in the world. It also tells me that they are too lazy to take whatever it was that they threw out their window and throw it in a garbage can or recycling bin when they arrive at their destination.

And throwing cigarettes out the window . . . that's selfish and stupid.

[getting off my soap box now]

I'm glad your rental house and the renters inside are okay. That picture really shows what a close call it was.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Scared me to the point, I broke out in hives. Been giving thanks every day it wasn't so much worse. Especially since we had another fire about a block away just yesterday. Along with the fire over by the High School, I'm almost wondering if we don't have a fire bug around here. Sigh.
I got to come up with some cheap hedges to make my renter happy. Any ideas/suggestions? Full sun, poor soil, mostly decomposed granite and burned native grasses in that area. Given another hose, she'll be able to get water half way down that burn area. Some nice bushes and trees will help it look better.
This is a view from my side of her house. Didn't kill that pepper tree and the elderberry is coming back. Fire didn't burn the house or the chicken pen. So glad it didn't catch our pines on fire!
Couple more photos to share.
WIB~
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

We'll probably have to replace the one tree that is all brown and singed. I'll give her a nice Monterey Pine, I've growing in a pot by my house. That'll help.
The phone pole you see in the photo was scorched and all the creosote had melted and was running down the side facing us in this photo. Was so strange looking up and seeing the wires were all curled. The power co. has been making the rounds this week, so I'm pretty sure they checked.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Here's a close up from a slightly different angle. You notice the cannas I gave her from my green house, survived. : - )

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Another one of the back of the house, the chicken pen, the shed is hiding behind the scorched trees. Look at that burn pattern!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

We were so lucky that it started right above the wood lot, although DH, told me it was creeping back towards the wood lot, which is where he was fighting the fire.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Approaching the area where the fire started.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Had to climb through the barb wire fence to get higher for this photo.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

The fire started right by that street sign with it's back to us. Traffic is posted at 55 mph, but they do like 70 or faster. So it was scary getting these photos.
At least I didn't even try to walk that area where the side of the road goes straight up!
LOL!

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Probable source of ignition. Was right in the center of where the burn started.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Looking up the hill.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Looking back down to the wood lot. You can see the shadow of the sign which is a couple of feet behind where I found that cigarette butt.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

I hope no one was wearing this when it started to melt.

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

That white building in the mid distance is our bee barn. In between are Pine trees and lots of dry grass. If the wind had shifted or people hadn't stopped to help, we could have been in a bad way.
I'm so Thankful, that no real damage was done, (except to nerves), even more Thankful that no one was hurt. I am so grateful that so many really nice people pulled over and took time out of their lives to help fight the fire. Of course we do have a lot of fire fighters that live out here, but even still it takes a certain type of person to run to rather than away from a fire.
God Bless them all, and keep them safe from harm!
Be careful folks.
WIB!
SW

Thumbnail by SingingWolf
Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Wow, Jules that was close. I am the same about people who litter. I would like to drive up to them and give them a piece of my mind but then they would just shoot me.

I am so glad you and your property were saved. As far as trees we plant many mesquites and pine in the greenbelt. They get little water, and both grow quickly. Here you can get trees from the Forest Service to plant wind breaks. Does California have that program. Are you still on an un-metered well. If so, that would be good to get them started and then they would make it on their own after a year. Maybe because of the fire, you are eligible for assistance from the US Forest Department for young trees. Just glad you and hubby and all your wild friends, I mean the animals, are fine. Take a deep breath and enjoy the evening. My back landscape has become the meeting place for all the hummers, robins, dragonflies, doves, finches and you name it. The front is full of the hummers. I think it is the waterfall into the Koi Pond that attracts them all and I have rotting fruit out behind the Koi Pond so the fruit gnats are everywhere. The hummers and dragonflies actually fight over the gnats. Also the Koi Pond is surrounded on three sides with a mesquite, a silver weeping pine, a mimosa and a strawberry tree. How about a few mimosa? I have seeds on the tree in front. They grow like a weed. There roots are terrible but they would have plenty of room to roam there. Let me know. I could send you some seed pods.

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Heard it was 108 degrees in LV, yesterday, Sharon. Hope you are okay from the heat.

LISTEN UP YOU ALL!
Many of us worked hard to get a Fuchsia forum started, last year. Right now they are voting on which photo to use for the Banner on the Forum. Go over there, and vote for your favorite.
No, I did not enter any photos, but they could use our support. : - )

I'm kind of upset, after having through no desire of my own being taken to a DG vs. Cubits thread.
I am remaining neutral. Let the lawyers work it out. It's none of my Beeswax.
In the meantime, I'm going to go out and work in my garden because it gives me comfort, and peace. Just like DG used to. : - (
I am very saddened by all the negative energy, I really miss my DG family. : - (
Sending Positive Energy out to all of you. May your heart's heal or at least give a little.
My folks always said not to judge others, unless you've walked a mile in their moccasins.
Walk In Beauty!
SingingWolf

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Hi everyone. Sounds like you all ahve ahd a busy last few months. Great pictures everyone. Well except for the fire ones I am sorry to hear that happened. Louise Emma is a doll even when she is unhappy!!

Menifee, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh good, I was worried about you, Marie. The bulbs and crinum, I promised you will be blooming soon. I'll be able to send them to you after they've bloomed, and I was so afraid (I almost called weegy), that I'd lost track of you, Marie.
I'd rather not have had the "excitement" of a fire. But generally life is so very good. : - )
So Marie, what have you been up to? Curious in CA. LOL! : - )
WIB,
SW

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

There is no way we could ever lose Marie. She is like a comfortable shoe.

I harvested some seed pods off this tree next door. It is a Magnolia but not our normal desert magnolia. She is not a gardener. She is an Attorney and her husband is a Cardiologist and all the have is a couple of mow and blow guys. They are Asian and I do know they special ordered it but she does not remember from where. This tree is 8 years old, over 15 feet tall and is in its second bloom. It has the short block wall on one side and the pavers driveway on the other. Gets full sun 75% of the time. Photo of bloom at very top of tree that I took with this afternoon.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.