Seeking: Turmeric & Galangal Rhizomes & Pandanus plant

Sebastian, FL(Zone 9b)

I have been searching (in local nurseries, Asian stores, HD & Lowes) for some Turmeric & Galangal rhizomes &/or plants but in vain :(. Also seeking Pandananus Amaryllifolius "baby" plants as mine was killed in the last looong cold spell we had in FL.

I have lemongrass cuttings with roots, seeds of Chinese Spinach, Water Convolulus*, White Amaranth, Choy Sum (Asian Mustard Green), Pak Choy, Dillweed, Sweet Basil, Chives, Leeks, Radish, Luffa & St Valery Carrots.

*Water Convolulus needs a controlled growth area as they can be invasive, especially in ponds. But they are delicious!!
Thanks for reading this far.....

fern

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

I use to find Turmeric & Galangal rhizomes in Asian Markets. I'm surprised your not.

Sebastian, FL(Zone 9b)

There is only 1 small Asian shop in my area & 3 more 38-40 miles up north. They have dried and powdered but not fresh ones, unfortunately. As a last resort I may have to do a 2 hr drive to Orlando & hope for the best.

I can look the next time I'm there.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm not able to pack/send stuff this summer, but I got my galangal from Wellspring Gardens in FL. http://wellspringgardens.com/ It was a little starter plant but grew quickly and then got even taller when I gave it a larger (18") pot!

Sebastian, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks! Really appreciate that info. Will check it out.

fern

Mulberry, FL

Fern go to gardenweb and ask i found a few decent traders there I am always looking too I just like to grow it not really use it It gets to 20's here every year and mine comes back every year

Sebastian, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks Danasplants. Definately will try that.

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

If I knew exactly what I was looking for...I could check in some of the shops here around town for you....you could also CALL the stores in Orlando and ask them, maybe even pay via credit card and have them SHIP them to you. ((or a store to store transfer if the store in your area is a chain))

Sebastian, FL(Zone 9b)

Dirtygirl71, Thanks for your suggestions. I live in the "suburbs" & the closest Asian stores are 26 - 40 miles north. I've called a few whose cards I've kept & visited the closer ones. Nada!
Orlando's mini-Vietnam (Colonial Dr) is almost 2 hrs away but I called a few Asian stores/supermarts there. I speak English, Mandarin, Cantonese & Fukien BUT they speak some English & Vietnamese & have no idea what kind of rhizomes/plant I'm talking about :(

We're planning a drive to Orlando this coming long weekend. (yippee!!)

Smallfern, I was at the market last night and forgot to check for you. I'll try to remember next time I'm there.

Mulberry, FL

Small fern did you ever find it?

Sebastian, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi Danasplants,
Thanks for your Q-note. Yes, I did find tumeric & galangal (by accident) when we stopped @ an Indian restaurant to look at their menu & realized that there was Indian spice/grocer store next door. I bought the rhizomes & they've sprouted. Still looking for Pandanus Amaryllifolius. :~)

Smallfern

Mulberry, FL

Small fern I checked ebay there is Pandanus there for couple dollars up to 24 bucks the other I might have spelled it wrong but you can check for yourself all else fails check ebay! Where abouts did you find the tumeric i would buy a case if I could find it just to plant

Sebastian, FL(Zone 9b)

Danasplants,
Thanks, will check ebay. Also sending you a D-mail.

Mulberry, FL

Sorry it took so long to get back but heres the color of mine

Thumbnail by Danasplants
Annapolis, MD

Turmeric roots are always in the produce section at Wholefoods
~Michael

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.