A great year for figs

Longboat Key, FL

My Black Greek just gave us her first brebas.

They are the sweetest !

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Sarasota, FL

flyboy, do you have them in the ground? Do you do anything to prevent nematodes? Do you get fig rust, if so what do you use?

Longboat Key, FL

Kalpar~

They are in the ground -- on the south side of the house. I keep them espaliered, but they still shoot out.

I am not aware of fig rust -- but I haven't spotted anything out of the normal. I know what nematodes are -- but I haven't bought any. I give them minimal fertilizer -- but, add a cup of dolomite lime to every plant each year.

I do get some green weevils that chew away -- but I spray occasionally with Sevin.

My best plants came as cuttings from a neighbor's yard.

Be well

(o_O)

Chickenville, FL(Zone 9a)

Mine got rust last year. I moved them to the sunniest side of the house and that fixed it. They were staying too wet and shady on the other side. It helps that they are still in pots and not too terribly large to move yet. My figs this year are not ripe yet but it looks like they will have as many or more than last year. Figs are super easy to start as cuttings.

Longboat Key, FL

They sure are !!!

Be well

(o_O)

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

ok, here we go again with the figs.....making the next month a drooling mess on my keyboard.

Longboat Key, FL

tracks~

Check these Greek Whites

Be well

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

how can i be well when you have all the figs???? i think i'm going to rip mine up and plant another variety. i have a Brown Turkey but it's just a turkey.

those look good but the Black Greeks are making me insane!
i'll trade you a donkey.

Thumbnail by trackinsand
Longboat Key, FL

Male or female?

Not the one in the photo. It must be full of needles from that cactus it's lying in.

Be well

(o_O)

This message was edited Jun 21, 2010 10:16 AM

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Quote from trackinsand :
i have a Brown Turkey but it's just a turkey.

tee hee.

You know, just this morning I was looking at my Celeste and I was amazed at how many figs it had. I mean, the low branches were drooping like crazy from so much fruit.

Educate me about Black Greek. Never heard of it.

This message was edited Jun 21, 2010 10:29 AM

Longboat Key, FL

Funny thing about Celeste. I have one, too. Unfortunately it is planted where it gets full sun until 3 or 4 in the afternoon. So, the leaves seems to be suffering. It has plenty of fruit -- but, small ones -- so far.

As for the Black Greek. We have a Greek neighbor. He brought over , two cuttings. He told me the varieties. BLACK -- and -- WHITE.

So, I named them in his honor -- BLACK GREEK -- and -- WHITE GREEK .

What's in a name? A rose by any other name would smell ..........................

Oh, yes. I also have a Brown Turkey. It is humongous -- over seven feet tall. It is planted adjacent to the condensate drip from one of our AC units -- so it gets a constant supply of water. The leaves are very large -- but the fruit are still very small. Who knows?

Be well

(o_O)

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

boy nery, you're rubbing it in too, huh? LOL
i need to do some research and plant something that will bear lots of fruit for this fig lover.

no needles on those guys, flyboy. they're fuzzy and stinky.

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

I'm pouting, my fig, not very big (don't have a clue as to variety) dropped all it's " figlets" , I think I let it get too dry.
happy sweating
mj

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

well, i've decided to move mine. i refuse to be figless next year!!!

I think I'm going to move ours too, where it can get a least some afternoon shade. Right now it get's none. And I don't want to be
"Figless" either !

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

lol

At the risk of getting my bud Trackinsand all jealous, here is my Celeste. It is in full sun and it is jammed packed with figs. Why would full sun afffect fruiting? I can see insufficient water affecting productioni but not full sun. When my tree was about 3 ft it gave me a handful of figs but I lost them to the dang squirrels. As it matures, it seems to produce enough for all of us. Crossing my fingers that it doesn't change.

every branch is like this.

Thumbnail by vossner

here is a full view of the tree. I want u to know we removed about 3 ft from the top late last winter and the tree grew right back to it's orig. size. I wanted it short so I didn't have to climb too high for harvesting, but it looks like I'll have to do it anyway.

Thumbnail by vossner

bragger

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

LOL!

mine is in full sun, as was suggested by one of my books. it does get mid to late afternoon shade. i think the problem with mine is water or lack thereof. it is planted just far enough away from the rest of my gardens that it is a hassle to water. on the other hand, we have had great rains so far this year and even with the abnormal intense heat we've had this spring, i would think mine would be thriving but it isn't. when i had it potted, it was growing like crazy and i had a fight to get it out of the pot and planted. it had sent out roots all over and out of the pot. i should have put it in that same spot. that particular spot is still vacant so that's where it's going when it cools off a bit.

I thinking on this....I may go ahead and mulch heavily around it and try to water it a bit more when we don't get rain. As far as growth goes it's fine, just dropped it's fruit...
I go "round and round" with some plants trying to find the right spot..........."gold fish" as a hobby would be so much simpler, if they die just spend another .79 cents for another one............( i'm sure that's going to get me in trouble with someone)

I'm calling the Soc for Preservation of Gold Fish & Guppies on ya!

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i did mulch heavily around mine this spring, mostly to try and stop weevils. it has worked to a degree. mine dropped all fruit too, all 6 of them.....sigh.

Course on the brighter side, it could be an excuse to go out and buy more fig trees, to plant in various places to "experiment" on where they would grow better.
Oh, that's why I don't have a pond with "ornamental fish" in it ! I'd probably put it in the wrong place and boil them !

This is what I get for being bragadocius. My Panache Tiger fig has all kind of yellow foliage b/c I haven't been watering as much as I should. This is the only fig (1 of 3) that I grow in a pot.

Thumbnail by vossner

I got this one b/c the fruit if variegated. On the other side of the same bed I have a variegated satsuma. I thought it would be interesting, especially if they produce at the same time. This fig is in its 2nd year and has produced no fruit so far. It is edible. I got it from Raintree Nursery which I adore, but other people carry it, I think.

http://www.bayflora.com/panachee.html

PS: If and when it produces fruit, you bet your ____ I will post bragapics. I haven't been cured, lol.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

you'll own those braggin' rights!

bragapics........ROFLOL............a new word !

Mulberry, FL

Have a few here nothing like flyboys love those Greek ones lol

Thumbnail by Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

Flyboy how's your Mango's doing usally by now there would be something ? heres something different Buddas Hand use if for the zest has a wonderful scent

Thumbnail by Danasplants
Longboat Key, FL

My mangos this year are a disaster.

The tree blossomed out like gangbusters,. And then the cold winds blew.

Right now I have four beautiful fruit in one cluster -- plus three individual fruits (all looking good -- spread across one corner of the tree.

So, that's it. Seven in all.

But the tree still looks gorgeous -- with clusters of new leaves.

I'd forward a photo -- but it's raining out

Who knows? The Shadow, must.

Be well

(o_O)

Mulberry, FL

no only the shadow knows lol well I have 1 on my tree very first

Longboat Key, FL

OK You asked for it -- now you have it.

The mangos.

Here's the cluster of four.

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

And the three stragglers.

Look closely.

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Longboat Key, FL

But, the prize White Greek this year -- so far

Da Da Da Da Da.

I cannot taste it yet. Have to wait for the neck to droop.

Be well -- guys

(o_O)

Thumbnail by flyboyFL

wish I could grow mangoes here. will not survive outdoors in z9a

Saint Petersburg, FL

Flyboy, watch those figs carefully. Just when they're ready, some critter will swoop in and try to steal it. I know, because it happens to me every year.

Vossner, please let us know how the Tiger tastes. I've been eying it for some time now, as I'm a sucker for variegated fruit.

Longboat Key, FL

carolyn~

You obviously don't own an assault rifle.

Be well

(o_O)

Saint Petersburg, FL

Flyboy, it's probably just as well, or I'd have been tempted to use it on the very human varmint who stole all the peaches off of my peach tree!

Harpursville, NY(Zone 5a)

Hello from New York. I have three fig trees myself. Figs do grow here with a little winter care. Right now my fig trees are sitting in a high tunnel and my Deset KIng is loaded. My plants are only babies but a guy down the road with a ten year old Italian fig had 3,000 figs on his last year. Here we have to wrap our trees in burlap after the first frost. Those in pots are put in unheated garages out of the wind. The guy down the road wraps his tree then builds a burm out of leaves for insulation .Our lowest winter temperatures are around -20 degrees. Good luck with your crop.
LInda

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images